All member reviews for Steamboy

Animated film is too violent for younger kids.

Teen, 16 years old Written bymoviemogul 2.0;... April 9, 2008

Honestly? I would put this right up there with "Princess Mononoke"

I saw this in theatres the day it came out, being a huge manga fan (contributed by the fact that I'm Korean), and was not disappointed in the least. As I said, this movie ranks up there with "Princess Mononoke" and "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", the two greatest works of anime ever, and also pure anime classics. However, although still manga, the art style is still a bit different than Miyazaki's, so if the only anime you've ever seen is by Miyazaki (though that isn't too bad of a thing), be prepared. Violence was the onyl issue I found in the movie, but wasn't too bad in my humble opinion.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySynchronicity April 9, 2008

Oh...my...god

Steamboy is a great anime classic. This is as good as Spirited Away and Metropolis. The only issue is violence, but there's only a little bit of blood, about two seconds. But the violence is still there, so kids under 10 shouldn't watch Steamboy. I think 11 and up is great.
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares May 26, 2009

Mediocre anime film that has an unoriginal plot but plenty of visual treats. It is superior to some of the sappy crap Disney has been releasing over the past 25 years, but it is inferior to the stuff Studio Ghibli is making.
Adult Written bythinkingfather July 18, 2010

Tough, Intense, Insightful and Discussion required with a mature tween or a teen.

Visually a stunning movie with a very well developed viewpoint against the use of science as a war mongering tool by anyone. The movie has many intense moments and conflicts between the two father and son relationships culminating with one father attempting to kill his son. Not sure how it differs from the Star Wars Trilogy with Darth Vader attempting to kill his son over the length of 3 movies. Personally it created a great amount of dialog about father/son conflicts and human morals between myself and my 10 year old son. I found it more positive and overall less disturbing of a movie for a tween than most of the Star Wars movies and the Tolkien Trilogy. However, it did require a bit of explaining and discussion, which is also good.
Teen, 16 years old Written bykellyfan101 April 9, 2008

A+

This isn't a movie for kids because they might not get all the mecanical names and may be frightened by the voiolence. But for a teen it would be okay or even for a pre-teen.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written byconnielove93 November 2, 2011

Steam on the Rise!

Beautiful movie about the role of science in war. Steamboy is breathtakingly detailed and ambitious beyond anything I have ever seen in the realm of animation!! I woud put it in the category of Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle. I am very critical of movies and their content and I would say the storyline and characters are good and well-developed. Some say otherwise, but the renowned Spirited Away has almost a non-existant plotline, it's purpose was for entertainment. This is true for Steamboy also, the plot is not as fantastic as it could be but it is obvious the creators took their time during the nine-year drawing and computer-generating process. This has become an instant classic in our household as it will be in yours.
Teen, 16 years old Written bySouranply April 3, 2012

Not a worthy anime...

Besides a minuscule glimpse of blood in one scene, the violence is limited by what would normally be seen in cartoons, even if higher violence is suggested, it isn't shown. Steamboy is by no means inappropriate for children, but it is still a miss as it generally lacks any sort of decent plot, story or message whatsoever. The only thing it has going for it is overpriced visuals.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjoker341 June 16, 2012

Best Anime

This movie is violent but its one of the best anime ever made! Definetly must watch!
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar August 24, 2012

Not for kids

very violent for kids and kind of slow