Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Sucker Punch

Impressive effects, but mixed messages about women.

Parent Written bysallyj1 June 4, 2016

This film is NOT for kids!!!!!

This film is absolutely awesome if you are an adult and can handle its dark and twisted storyline. The end is absolutely brutal!! For a teen/ pre teen I would say they would find it either totally un-interesting (storyline too complicated and goes over their head) or too disturbing.

Adult Written byLittleMrsMuffet February 17, 2019

Kids minds are simple

My daughter watched this when she was younger and just wanted to watch it for the 'girls with big guns fighting'. The plot didn't matter. Now she has watched it years later and realized what a gory and messed up movie it was. Nonetheless we still love it. Its not the gorriest and you never see anything bad truly happening (although you still kind of want to see Baby doll dancing). Still 9/10
Adult Written bydahyunlover_19 August 12, 2018

ITS OK FOR KIDS 11 UP

It's actually not that bad only thing is if u don't understand it then you might ask your parents (older siblings) what is happening I'm 13 I completely understand it

Adult Written byHonerva G. March 18, 2018

Escape from reality

I think Sucker Punch isn't a movie about sexism or about how good the message is thought out. If you really take a closer look, it's about an escape from reality. The main characters are trying to break out of that place, doing so by dancing and escaping from reality to where they are actually fighting for freedom in their own world. It's not a movie without plot, it's just those who are thick-headed to see through their eyes. Dancing distracts everyone, makes them pay attention to you while you try to run away from reality. In this case, that place they are in is their reality, and they are trying to run away from it. It also shows that woman are perfectly capable of fighting and defending themselves.

Adult Written byDanny21 February 25, 2016

Recommended for teens.

Parent of a 2 year old Written bygerbowski December 3, 2012

Indy action flick, not for everybody

This one's a little weird, and it will affect different people in different ways. Some will hate it and others will love it, it just depends on the person. It is not for younger kids though, as there is a lot of violence and sexual language towards the women in the movie. I will say that it definitely messes with your mind a little bit.

Adult Written byMildred Anderson July 10, 2012

My daughters and their dates had a good time. Heck, I had a good time!

I saw this film with my teenage daughters (13, 15) and their boyfriends, thank god they picked Sucker Punch over that horrid Justin Bieber sh*t. My daughters and their dates seemed to enjoy it, the boys liked the hot girls in the film, and my two girls liked how girls liked all the girl-power! This film only had mild cartoon violence, no blood or anything, no Sex either. One kiss or two, but nothing Graphic for most children. Mild profanity, don't take your child if they are under the age of 10. Hope this helped. =)

Adult Written byQ81 August 25, 2011

Non-linear movie that creatively portrays a powerful message.

I was conflicted about adding in the sexual behavior warning, however, there really wan't much overtly, almost exclusively implied. Granted, the main characters are trapped in a life of forced prostitution, however, the movie focuses on not giving into the tough situations that life places us in, and really isn't about the life they are trapped in. I am not surprised that there are mixed reviews on this movie. It is anything but linear and if you have a hard time following movies that jump around a bit (ie. slumdog millionaire, watchmen, inception, ect...) you will hate this movie. Also if you hate movies that you have to think about to get the deeper meaning, you will also probably hate this one. The surface story is entertaining, but confusing and disorienting if you aren't constantly keeping in mind the main message, which is, you can't always control you circumstances, but you do control whether or not you let those circumstances control you. This is a good movie that challenges us to not let life keep us down, and to never give up.

Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byMel739 August 1, 2011

Not for immature children

I enjoyed this movie but would not let either of my children watch it. Way too violent and the girls in it un around with skimpy outfits on.

Adult Written bycatymg July 2, 2011

It's mediocre anyway.

The movie wasn't the worst I've seen. The effects were interesting. But the image of women in the movie is horrible. There is a comradarie among the girls, but what happens in reality while they are imagining their world of battle includes dancing seductively on stage and grinding on male customers. Questionable.

Adult Written byPoint_Particle May 9, 2011

Great flick with a fair amount of sexuality.

This movie is a cinematic adventure. It is a very good movie and at the same time a very hard movie to watch. The issues the main characters are dealing with are very hard and although we, the audience, do not see anything it is very clear what is going on. Use a little desecration when watching this movie with your kids.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byBob97531 May 2, 2011

Not suitable for anyone

I would not recommend this film for young teenagers as it is a disturbing story about rape and prostitutes who are trapped in a disturbing environment were it is all about dancing and avoiding having sex with these horrible old men. And to top it all off the girls all have problems one got physically abused by her step farther And also got beet up. It has a stupid storyline about them being prostitutes then the next minuite there in a fantasy world trying to escape. NEVER WATCH THIS FILM IT IS NOT SUITIBLE FOR ANYONE

Parent of a 11 year old Written byTurch April 22, 2011

Terrible. Soul crushing.

This is a very creepy, sexually scary movie for adults, let alone kids. Sexual abuse ruthlessly depicted from the start.

Adult Written byTash86 April 6, 2011
This film is great if you're into manga/anime... Japanese style fight scenes etc. HOWEVER. I had a real issue with the content of this film - the raping of women and a young girl is very obviously implied to the point where young children will understand what is going on. In the UK it's rated 12a (under 12's accompanied by an adult) which is ridiculous. Over 15's I'd say go and see it. Anyone under that I'd say its inappropriate. I'm not usually bothered by things like things but the rating of this film really does.

Adult Written bykhan2705 April 2, 2011

alot of Sucker but not much of a punch in it.

Sucker Punch" is an epic action fantasy that takes us into the vivid imagination of a young girl whose dream world provides the ultimate escape from her darker reality. Unrestrained by the boundaries of time and place, she is free to go where her mind takes her, and her incredible adventures blur the lines between what's real and what is imaginary. She has been locked away against her will, but Babydoll (Emily Browning) has not lost her will to survive. Determined to fight for her freedom, she urges four other young girls-the reluctant Sweet Pea (Abbie Cornish), the outspoken Rocket (Jena Malone), the street-smart Blondie (Vanessa Hudgens) and the fiercely loyal Amber (Jamie Chung)-to band together and try to escape a terrible fate at the hands of their captors, Blue (Oscar Isaac) and Madam Gorski (Carla Gugino), before the mysterious High Roller (Jon Hamm) comes for Babydoll. Led by Babydoll, the girls engage in fantastical warfare against everything from samurais to serpents, with a virtual arsenal at their disposal. Together, they must decide what they are willing to sacrifice in order to stay alive. But with the help of a Wise Man (Scott Glenn), their unbelievable journey-if they succeed-will set them free.

well this is a movie i was waiting for from the moment i saw the trailer which looked so mindblowing to me, all the special effects and all. and yes ofcourse the fact that its being directed by one of the most original directors of this modern decade Zack Snyder. i really like his originality and his work. though i was not sure about whether people wii like this movie or not and was kind of sure about the fact it will get bad reviews from critics which as you can see it did. till now from 125 critics it got a 19% rating on tomatometer. which if i am not wrong is his lowest ratings for a movie till now. this movie had some problems i agree with that but he usually has his unique style and his own original approach to movies. which should not be the reason why his movies does not work well with the critics. Like 300 and Watchmen which got some above average mixed reviews with 60-65% tomatometer. his last year's legends of guardian did not worked well with the critics. i liked those movies though LOG was pretty heavy for me too. this movie being made for teenagers and a example of todays pop culture video games era wasn't too bad or worst but an average or above average movie. this director tried animated (for children) genre and now action adventure for teens, both of them didn't worked out so i think he should concentrate more on his adult feature movies as he do. but i am waiting for thr next Superman movie. enough, now gonna talk about this movie.

this movie stars Emily Browning, Abbie Cornish, Jena Malone, Vanessa Hudgens, Jamie Chung , Oscar Isaac , Carla Gugino and Scott Glenn.
will acting wise ofcourse it was not good, the girls looked okay but the other girls except the lead had nothing to offer much. i think character wise it wasn't executed well. about this movie, one of my friend said ALOT OF SUCKER BUT NOT PUNCH. this movie was weak. i was slightly disappointed by this movie. this movie featured a lot of action and stunning visual effects which really looked good to watch and quite entertaining and breathtaking. the whole feel of it was like a video game really. direction of this movie i must say could have been better and much tighter.

story was new and ok but wasn't executed well, plot was not much of there screenplay had many problems. i must say it was written very badly. costumes were good and the background score and all those songs were good. this movie overall is fun to watch but pretty shallow when you look at it. go see it if you are a fan of Zack and this genre.

Parent of a 17 year old Written byWilliamHrt April 1, 2011

Tea Partiers will hate this Film.

Interesting movie, not for your average person. Not enjoyable, but not made to be enjoyable. Very Vonnegut. Good for you if you enjoy thinking and are mentally flexible and quick.

Parent Written byLBPman April 1, 2011

Not for tweens or younger. Good for older teens.

The men in 300 showed more skin, but I guess that wasn't an issue because they were men and not women.
But all joking aside, there's really nothing that can honestly be considered "nudity" or "graphic".

The Special effects are amazing. The violence and action is over the top, but not graphic. Pure entertainment. Don't expect intricate storytelling. Most of it is done symbolically.

PS. The movie is set around the 1950s.
Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written byjandrewworld March 31, 2011

Eye candy: check, Great moments: check, makes sense...Nope.

Okay, the real problem with this movie is this: Zach Snider is not a good writer.

As a director he got some good to great performances out of his cast. Visually it is stunning. I was willing to make some leaps of logic, however in the end not much made sense in the movie. Fight sequences are a metaphor for dancing? The other girls can see these or just baby doll? Who is the wise man?

Not to ruin anything, the movie's story completely falls apart in the final act. It leaves you with a headache and trying to figure out if they are in vermont where is the bus heading? Because Hartford is south of vermont and montreal is north so there for why didn't Rocket and Sweet Pea speak french?

The real problem is there are a lot of good moments, they just don't fit together very well. This goes back to the problem: Zach Snyder is not a good writer

Parent of a 10 year old Written bySetne007 March 31, 2011
Too sexually charged, very bad script, very good special effects, one of the worst movies I have ever watched.
Adult Written byNick. March 27, 2011

Waste of a Date Night

I have never "reviewed" anything, but conssistanly continue to come here to decide whether or not to watch a movie.

Honestly, the previews of this movie proved me right. It was very apparent that I would consider this a cheese fest. My BF insisted it may be cool because of the CGI. Well, I will give credit, where credit is due. The CGI awesome, the story and everything else...not so much. I get the angle they were trying to play. However, I regret that I wasted my only date night to see this and found myself in the parking garage making fun of it as I walked to my car.

Needless to say, we did leave early. I couldn't take the mindless point of view and frankly couldn't understand why anyone would stay, unless you're an adolescent boy who like video games and wants to see the most absurd fight scenes with girls in heels and lingerie while in combat against Germans, who are BTW in proper combat gear.

Cheese Fest may be an understatement.