All member reviews for Sunshine Cleaning

Adult dramedy has unusual mix of laughs, gore, heavy themes.

Adult Written bywonder dove September 12, 2012

Enjoyable

Sunshine Cleaning was pretty good and interesting if you like drama films with less action and more story. I would definitely call it a chick flick. Basically about two very different sisters, Rose the responsible one and Norah the wild one, who decide to start a crime scene cleaning business because it pays more than regular housekeeping, although it sounds pretty simple, they soon discover how gruesome it can be and wonder if it's the best move. I think ages 16 and up is appropriate, there is drug use (Norah smokes pot several times) some drinking. Several sexual situations, It's also gory throughout including one sudden suicide scene, lots of cursing, and a small child that seems to be troubled. All in all, it is a pretty good watch.
Teen, 16 years old Written byflash11 December 29, 2010

I think that language is something that teenagers have heard before and that is not the problem. But there are different sex scenes in the movies where you can clearly tell what the people are doing and there is not much guessing of what is going on. If you do not think that they can handle that then do not have them see this movie
Teen, 15 years old Written byMichiiimurders June 2, 2010

I lovve misfitted movies tehe:)

Duuude. I lovve this movie. It's obviously not for small children but it has a great plot. Very different then most films, I enjoyed it. :D
Parent of a 8 and 11 year old Written byProv 31 OH Gal February 9, 2010

Bad for kids and a waste for adults!!!

As an adult, I wish they'd make higher quality movies for us!!!! Even a PG-13 movie isn't safe to enjoy these days!! This was just bad; depressing, discouraging, dumb, and a waste of my .79 cents!!! (My kids would never even want to watch this.) If you have strong moral values/faith, this will not inspire you! F*** used so many times I couldn't even try to keep up for a count...
Teen, 13 years old Written bydwiggit101 January 10, 2010

For mature teens and adults! :]

I must say, this is a great movie! It has language, so just be aware of that. I think that it has good lessons. Amy Adams' character explains why they stay in their line of work, which is where the lessons come in. Great movie!
Teen, 16 years old Written bycbabb September 22, 2009

Great Humor

There is some pretty gruesome scenes that have to clean up as well as what shown in the movie. There was some very well placed comedy in the movie that lightened it up.
Adult Written bybeph September 16, 2009

funny and a good movie

i dont like a movie with drug references but everything else makes up for it. its cute realistic and funny. i have problems with the main character. she is insecure and weak when it comes to relationships. one problem is she is a single mom. she should have learned by now.
Teen, 15 years old Written bydirecterdude123 August 26, 2009

Really funny but also heavy

This movie is about two sisters who find a job cleaning up after crime sceans. There is alot of violance and suicides witch make some parts hard to watch. The girls stick together in hard times witch is nice. Only for kids 16+
Teen, 13 years old Written bygreenactress July 10, 2009

Not yet

I WANT TO SEE IT!!!!!!
Teen, 13 years old Written bybubbleboy May 16, 2009

I Love You, Amy Adams

Seriously, there hasn't been a movie with her that I've seen that hasn't been good. I loved "Doubt," "Miss Pettigrew Live for a Day," "Junebug," "Enchanted," and now "Sunshine Cleaning." She's like superhuman or something! Now that I've got that off of my chest, let's move in to the movie itself. It has an odd (but never uneasy) mix of genres: comedy, drama, romance, a little bit of gross-out, a little bit of mystery, and a little bit of thriller. Okay, so it's not really a thriller, but I say that because the film has a bunch of threads that all come together with some "a-ha!"s along the way. The film chronicles the lives of two sisters, one a maid and the other a slacker that still lives with their dad. Amy Adams (whose character name I can't remember) is trying to raise the money to send her son to a private school, because he can never seem to hold his own at a public one. She is having an affair with a high-chool flame who is now a cop, and he tells her that cleaning crime scenes can make a lot of money. So, she and her sister Nora (played to perfection by Emily Blunt) begin a crime scene clean-up business, calling it SUNSHINE CLEANING. And that's where it takes off, where Nora becomes obsessed with meeting the daughter of a woman who they "cleaned up" after (perhaps because of her trouble dealing with her own mother's death), when their dad (the hilarious Alan Arkin) starts a business selling shrimp out of a bathtub, and when they befriend the one-armed store clerk Winston. The film is both heartbreaking and hilarious, the right mixture of heart and humor. I for one loved it, and I think that anyone who doesn't must have a heart of stone.