Grim, intellectual space adventure. Not for kids.

Teen, 17 years old Written byrobots in disguise April 9, 2008

I real sci fi movie! and kind of original too

I thought this movie was really good. There is nothing in it you wouldn't see or hear in a PG-13 movie except a few F words. It is kind of slow so little kids probably wouldn't like it anyway but for teens it is interesting. I want to own it
Parent of a 4 and 10 year old Written byCensor-Bot January 8, 2011

Beautiful film suited for my little Einsteins

The film is only made for smart kids, and since mine are the smartest naturally I showed them this film and they loved it! They cheered when that no good space-suit hog got frozen out in space and cried when the man who committed suicide was shown, however I believe this film helped prepare them for real life topics such as suicide and religion being taken to an extreme.
Adult Written bynhodnicky August 24, 2010

a good sci-fi flick and popcorn muncher.

I personally felt that this movie was a good sci-fi flick. I gave this a five star rating and said that it was on for ages 13 and up. However, there are many factors to take into account when deciding weather your child is ready to see this if they are between the ages of 13 and 15. One of these factors would be the suicide of a crew member and the open display of his corpse. A good discussion to have with your children would be about the act of suicide itself if they are bothered by it. Another factor would be the appearance of the malevolent captain of the prior ship motivated by religious extremism. This will most likely be a conversation starter do to the fact of the characters frequent references to his "gods" desire to let humanity perish and the use of that as an excuse for murdering the crew. A few more factors would be the many corpses, blood, and intense scenes. If you have a child who at those younger ages can grasp the philosophical issues stated in the movie, then i highly recommend this move for the stated age group. Aside from the stated factors, this movie is a very enthralling and engaging sci-fi. It raises many very good discussion points and allows for a mind flexing thriller.
Educator and Parent of a 3 and 12 year old Written byMokkadaddy July 25, 2016

Scary stuff

I saw this movie a couple of years ago and remember being thrilled and chilled by it. I am definitely not showing this to my mature almost thirteen year old son for a while yet.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLameformer June 22, 2015

Gory and Explicit

BE AWARE THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS Although many are killed in this movie, it isn't very gruesome because they mostly get burned up by the sun. However, one guy commits suicide by slicing his wrists (off screen), and that is kind of bloody, and there is this one guy who got burned up by the sun. However, the burned up guy is not that gruesome. If you have seen the burned up Anakin from Star Wars 3, than it won't be that shocking, except for the fact that his arm is ripped off. Besides these and the occansionaly blood, violence isn't that bad. F--k is said a lot in the film, along with s--t and b---h.
Kid, 12 years old March 23, 2013

A Movie I'll See When I'm Older

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I'll see this when I'm older.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytwilightfan2459 February 8, 2011
I cant remember exactly what happened as it was a few years ago that i watched this but its was an epic movie it was amazinf ok so there was some swearing but nowadays you cant avoid it so why not watch it in a film lol i no i was probably too young to watch it but it didnt bother me as i was quite mature and could see the difference between real life and fantasy, mature tweens could watch this with supervision from parents
Teen, 16 years old Written byCRITIC007 December 22, 2010
Beautiful movie but very mature. Dont let young kids watch this
Parent of a 11 and 13 year old Written bywatching_my_kid... June 30, 2010

Very good sci-fi movie. Although R, it's more appropriate for a 13-yr-old than many "PG-13" movies.

My 13-year-old daughter wanted to watch this after I did. (I'm not sure if she wanted to watch it because she likes science fiction or because she wanted to tell her friends that she watched an R movie.) We watched it together, The scene I was concerned about was when the crew finds a crew member who has committed suicide. It's pretty horrifying, although my daughter seemed to be OK with it. It's appropriate for 12-13 plus, I think, and I'm conservative. A classic example of an R-rated movie that is far less offensive (and far more worthwhile!!) than many, many so-called "PG-13" movies.
Teen, 14 years old Written by19_am June 13, 2009

beautiful!!! my favourite sci fi!!! I saw it too young, though!!!

My favourite movie of all time! I'd call it on for 14, cause I saw it at 12 and the only issues were cussing and the (SPOILER ALERT!!!) suicide of Trey, and frozen Harvey... If you think your kid can understand the psychology of the characters' violence and plentiful cussing (f---ing s--t b--ch a--hole), and still get the beautiful story of humanity's greatest sacrifices, then I'd say to let them see it. Under 13- one might get some serious bad vibes. No go.
Parent of a 5, 9, 11, and 14 year old Written byJamesRobertson January 4, 2009
Teen, 13 years old Written bymisschelseadawn April 9, 2008

I loved this movie!

This is probably one of the awsomest movies i've ever scene! its very good. i think everyone should see it!!
Teen, 15 years old Written bydamoviecritic April 9, 2008

An excellant film

Wow. Up until the plot twist in the last quarter of the movie, Sunshine was, in my mind, one of the best Sci-fi movies I had seen in a long time. That is, until the movie turns into a slasher flick and becomes confusing and muddled. The scene that involved ripping the fleswh off of one charactor's arm was particularly over the top. However, this movie highlighted a flaw in the rating system. Because there were a few F bombs dropped, it was given an R rating. Think of it as a violent PG-13.
Teen, 15 years old Written bybubbo April 9, 2008

Sunshine

An awesome movie overall. It's probably not for kids, since it's thematically complex and a bit slow-paced, but teens and up will enjoy themselves. It's visually stunning, entertaining, and often very intense. I also think that this almost could've been PG-13. If one or two violent moments and f-words had been cut, it would've been PG-13, easily.