Teens save town in action-heavy sci-fi film with retro feel.

Teen, 16 years old Written byKaty0 June 15, 2011

Mediocre 8

I have been anticipating this movie since the first fifteen second teaser trailer over a year ago. Sadly, my hopes were not fulfilled. Super 8 tries to be something epic, but fails due to the lack of emotion and fully formed characters. I loved the setting, and the movie had some great scenes (the last shot in particular), but it felt... bland. It was almost boring, and that's something a summer blockbuster should never be. Rent an 80's or 90's Spielberg film instead.
Kid, 10 years old June 14, 2011

Could be better

This was a good movie but it could have been better. Lots of cussing by schoolkids may influence other kids you watch it to say the same words. Very scary moments at times and a lot of violence and killing. Otherwise there are positive messages and the main child is a good role-model. Only for ages 14 or 15, 9/10
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2011

11 and up

Great movie!!! There is swearing and violence of thing blowing up. But overall it would be for ages 11 and up.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 14, 2011

Amazing special effects combined with a spectacular plot; language often pushes the PG-13.

My rating: PG-13 for intense sci-fi disaster sequences, violence, strong language and drug use. [NOTE: The language in this film is frequent and strong for a PG-13 film. There is frequent and almost constant use of "s--t", plus a few uses of "a-s", "d--k", and "p---y", as well as one F bomb dropped. This should be worried about slightly more than the violence in the film.]
Kid, 11 years old June 14, 2011

perfect movie at a perfect age

i think this movie will be great a couple of iffy things but if yor of the right age you should understand the morale of it
Adult Written byDaddyDude June 14, 2011

Why the bad language?

why must they make good movies for kids, but still have ("f--k," as well as "s--t," "a--hole")
Teen, 15 years old Written byxxHolly June 13, 2011

Worthy of its frequent Spielberg homages

Super 8 is not the most original alien movie out there; it's more like a mish-mash of various tropes from other famous alien flicks. Surprisingly, it all fits together smoothly and makes for an interesting movie. The protagonists, while teenagers, are treated seriously and don't detract from the movie's destructive tone, which is quite unlike any other film involving kids and aliens I can think of. The teenagers (five boys and a girl) are likable and realistic. I really felt like rooting for them (and their homemade zombie movie, which plays a key role in the movie). There's true suspense here, as the alien starts wreaking havoc early on but is never fully revealed until the last third or so of the movie. The action is fantastic at its best (there's a great train wreck scene early on), and solid throughout. Revealing too much about the plot would ruin it! This movie makes frequent use of jump scares, which will probably frighten little kids. The violence is pretty standard P-13 stuff, but many characters are killed/eaten by the alien and there's a very real feeling of danger. It also has plenty of cursing by the kids throughout (when they're scared, usually a steady chorus of "s--t, s--t, s--t" is chanted in the background), which some may find offensive. All in all, it's a great summer movie for teenagers that offers up both emotion and suspense.
Teen, 13 years old Written byprsreaper1230 June 13, 2011

The best movie EVER

Super 8 is a great movie. My father bought preview screening tickets the day before it came out. For the adults questioning on if they should let them see it or not, it comes down to your decision. The violence is more action than violence (No flying limbs or gunfights or any of that stuff), language mights be iffy due to the use of 1 or 2 F-Words and frequent use of profanity under that level, drinking is normal (if he/she has seen you drink then it won't be a problem), smoking has a bit of a problem though. If you think your son/daughter isn't mature enough or is easily influenced by marijuana or any illegal drugs, then don't see this movie, but the smoking of marijuana is meant as a joke and nothing more.
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2011

best movie of the year!!!

this movie is great i already saw it 2 times and going to see it a third the movie is very thrilling and has all the great elements. JJ abrams and Steven Speilberg are the best!
Parent Written bybubbmaster June 13, 2011

Awesome iffy on language BUT AWESOME!

Just Saw this movie and it is GREAT! It is very scary though in some parts. Like when the alein jumps out or smashes people (one scene shows a man getting his head smashes and a bloody splatter shows. There is also a boy that makes homemade fireworks (my fav) great acting.But the language probably wasn't as bad as some other movies but i was pretty bad like one use of F (what the f**k) and also d**k pu**y lots of use of s**t and b*t*that's about all but you really should go see it its GREAT
Teen, 13 years old Written byJaneEyre<3 June 13, 2011

REALLY GOOD!

I LOVED it,except for the language. I wish there wasn't so much of it! it's ok IF you know not to repeat it!!! I jumped at 2 parts.
Adult Written bySpartyon June 13, 2011

Super8 was alright not very good

This wasn't my pick of a movie wasn't really scary at all no jump off the chair moments. 8 years in up for this movie which maybe scary for them but for teens &amp; adults it really isn't scary looking for scary this isn't a movie for you. Only see Super8 if you have seen all the other summer movies.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byMcLovin2 June 13, 2011

This is not anything like "ET" or "The Goonies".

From the previews you would think this was a kid friendly movie like "ET" or "The Goonies". The PG-13 rating is for extreme violence and may be too graphic for pre-high school kids. I made the mistake of taking my 12 year old and it was a bit too much for her. The monster is not friendly and cute like ET but is downright nasty. You don't see the blood and gore but when it kills violently you know they are very dead.
Kid, 11 years old June 13, 2011

super 8, a gret movie but still startling and spooky

If you are looking forward to a scary thriller/horror, youwould be dissapointed. If you were loking forward to a well-made sci-fye adventure with some spooky and funny parts, you would love it, there is quite a lot of cursinng, and a small amount of drug use, including a man offering to sell pot to a teenager, but it is all played for laughs. the voilence is thrilling and startling, people got eaten(not graficly showed), blood splatered on the window of a bus when the alien killed a bad guy, and a bloody man, thought to be dead, reached his bloody hand out at the kids, then threatened them with a gun to run away, explosions etc. occur, though no good guys were killed, some footage of a zombie in a video the kids made was slightly disturbing but quite hokey. The kids are loyal to their friends.
Kid, 11 years old June 12, 2011

Super 8

Best film of the year so far!
Teen, 13 years old Written byFangslash June 12, 2011

SUPER 8?

I think that Super 8 was a great movie. I'm 13, and for me it had plenty of character depth, good story line, and action. The monster was AWESOME and the GRAPHICS WERE FANTASTIC!! (May be a little too much suspense for the little ones though).There are plenty of funny moments. My ONLY 2 problems with Super 8 were the ending and the language. For me the ending seemed a little too predictable (but it was to be expected). The language was annoying, but not overbearing. A man says "What the f***" as he sees the damage the monster has caused. The teen boys certainly say s***, Jesus, and God alot. OTHERWISE THIS MOVIE WOULD HAVE BEEN 5 STARS!
Parent of a 7, 9, and 12 year old Written byoakhillsdrive June 12, 2011

"Go get the bar of soap."

My husband and I went to see it alone. I must be totally out of the loop with the way kids talk to each other now days, but the language doesn't fit the time period to me. Maybe I was just way to sheltered, but I never remember any of my friends cussing like that. Even now as an adult I was pretty taken back by how many times the "s" word was used and at least one very big "f" word. It has a good story to it, understand of peoples differences. It's just too bad that I can't take my kids to see it.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byaea309 June 12, 2011

What a terrific movie!

There is definitely some language but it's not gratuitous or vulgar like Transformers was. Kept me and my 10 yo son on the edge of my seat and engrossed and invested in the ending. Awesome storytelling! Abrams and Spielberg really nailed this one!
Kid, 8 years old June 12, 2011

Super 8 Review

This movie waas very good! I saw it in IMAX with my dad. I am only 8 years old when i saw this. Parents, you better watch out for the language. Yes, there is 1 f**k in the movie. Also, lots of violence, but only 1 moment with some gore. But, there is, I think, too much BLOOD. Yes, I'm only 8, but I've seen more PG-13 MOVIES than just this. Also, some characters drink/like beer. Overall, it's a great movie but to me, language is the big problem.But Warning: not only does this movie scare the life out of kids and teens, it could, very easily, scare a parent at any moment. But otherwise, this is a great movie and you should see it.
Parent of a 8 year old Written byDocRon June 12, 2011

Great Movie for Young Teens and Adults

Very entertaining movie, and for adults there is lot's of nostalgia for simpler times... and for the first time you saw ET. The violence and threats are never really terror-producing... just fun/scary. Yes, I wish they had not used the F-bomb, but it was in a funny context and the other "swear" words are nothing most kids do not hear at school every day. The film is all about the kids, as it so often is in a Spielberg movie. The last 45 mins. of the movie is less wonderful, focusing on the monster (kind of a let-down when you actually see it) and defeating the crazy Air Force colonel. But overall, a wonderful night at the movies that young teens will cherish.