All member reviews for Super 8

Teens save town in action-heavy sci-fi film with retro feel.

Teen, 16 years old Written byLevi Tupper February 10, 2013

Overall, worth watching at least once

The thing most likely to turn children off to this movie is probably its violence. It's essentially a thriller for kids. There is some weapon use and a few close-up blood scenes, but nothing grotesque that should make a preteen child too squeamish. There is a mildly uncomfortable scene in the movie where a man refuses to talk and is injected with a fatal dose of something, but that's probably the scene most likely to make younger children cry, and if you can handle that, you should be fine. The scene most adults talk about in reference to the violence is the spectacular train wreck. In my opinion, there's nothing very wrong in the train wreck. It was not filmed to be scary, it was filmed to be dramatic, fantastic, and thrilling. There are a few issues with language, but as long as your kid knows not to say any of the bad words, it will be fine. There's also a scene where someone briefly tries to sell them pot, but generally your child is too young to understand, or old enough to know it's wrong. The movie has an overall positive message to let go of past hurts, move forward, and not hate something just because you don't understand it. The only bad role models in the movie are exaggerated, so it's very obvious that they're the bad guy, and there are plenty of good people in the film. For families, I'll rate it an 8 out of 10, for some scary moments and mild violence. For quality, I give it a 9.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2013

An Amazing Sci Fi Movie

This movie's super 8-t+mazing=Super Amazing. There's some intense scenes like the train crash. There's also a reference to drugs, and some language. The main character isn't perfect, but he's still a good role model. The acting is super gr8 (get it?) and the special effects are too. Some people complain that it's not original. It's not supposed to be. It pays homage to Steven Spielberg's sci fi movies from the 70's and 80's
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheflash9 October 28, 2012

Suspenseful Action Flick is Worth it for the Younger Kids

I'd have to say Super 8 is one of my favorite movies of all time. Super 8 is full of just the right amount of action, drama, suspense, and even a few laughs. Super 8 tells the story of six friends making a Super 8 movie in 1979. The main charcter, Joe, is in this because he needs to get on with life, his mother recently died in a steel mill accident. When the kids witness a huge terrifying train crash a mystery evolves, the crash looked as if it was done on purpose. Why?
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 22, 2012

I think the title is meant to say "Super Movie".

I really like the Super 8! It is really cool and action packed.Why does CSM have to say,little kids can't watch it?!
Teen, 17 years old Written byyourface239956 October 15, 2012

A must watch

This is an amazing movie but it does have a lot of action and some violence. This is my all time favorite movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byforney.tx October 12, 2012

REVEIW FROM ME!

It is a really good movie it would be a good switch instead of horror movie!! Its loaded with action packed events that are spooky but not scary or night mare scary
Teen, 13 years old Written byJett0001 October 4, 2012

A Well Done Spielberg Production

Kid, 9 years old September 14, 2012

review #2 by rwb

a great movie vilonce,4there was lots of vilonce a car crashes into a train and makes it blow up there was a squidish thing grabs people and hangs them lots of scary images of the mother death but no blood sex,1there was some flirting language,3 some bad cussing like one use of f**k said by an older teenager one use of p***y there was lots of s**t bulls**t a**hole bi**h h**l d**k a** d**n dumba** idiot stupid oh my god jesus god but still a great drinking,drugs,and smoking,3 movie the police are drinking in a scene mr dainard is shown drunk drinking or smoking cigaretts and a little bit more things but still a great movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bylook-it's-amey September 6, 2012

Best Movie EVER!

I really love this movie. I've seen it 4 times in a week! I think I especially enjoyed it because it was about kids my own age and because it is a comedy, romance, sci-fi, thriller, suspense, action packed adventure movie all rolled into one! This movie has a fair bit of swear like s**t, a**hole, p***y, d**k and even one f**k. But it's really natural, so they only ever swear when a normal person would swear; like during the train crash. This movie is definitely NOT scary, though it has a bit of violence, intense scenes, it's not all that gory. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 11 out of 10!
Adult Written byJEDI micah August 23, 2012

A pretty scary, thrilling, on-the-edge-of-your-seat alien movie!

What a terrific movie! The acting of the teenagers is excellent, the special effects are breathtaking, the alien is so frightening, and the peril can give you chills! It actually looks like you're watching an 80's alien movie except the special effects are cooler! But this movie is not for little kids. It'll send shivers to their spines, AND NOT IN THE GOOD WAY! This movie is best saved for teens. I think it is worth watching if you are looking for a sci-fi thriller with a mystery!
Teen, 16 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 August 2, 2012

Super 8

This was 'Super Gr8'. Abrams kept the storyline too secret, so it has danger in the box office. This is a sci-fi epic, so tons of action violence. There is a disturbing zombie short made by the kids. The characters risk their lives to save each other. Some flirting, a kiss. 1 f***, and multiple uses of other profanity. 7-Eleven (an advertising partner) is seen once. One character says he is 'stoned', and some characters drink beer. This was amazing.
Kid, 10 years old July 25, 2012

great movie

there is quite a bit of swearing including the f word and alot of sh words. an older teen asks a younger teen if he wants to buy some "pot".
Parent Written bySir William July 25, 2012

A refreshing film that has the Spielberg touch

I think its a good family film, not to much Gore. Can get scary at times, but not the kind that will give kids nightmares. I would not take really young kids to see it, they probably would not understand it as well as some scenes being a bit intense for them.
Kid, 9 years old July 19, 2012

Super 8 is SUPER AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SCARY,SUSPENSEFUL,FUNNY,&BLOODY.
Parent Written byMerck July 14, 2012

Disappointed mom

I watched this movie with my 11 year old son and was a little disappointed. I enjoyed the plot around the young friends making a movie and sticking together through all of the chaos in town. But the violence, the language, and the alien horror was a bit much for kids.
Teen, 13 years old Written byJess_Funny July 10, 2012

Super 8 - Scary but intriguing.

This is a great movie but in some parts it makes you jump out your seat or cover your eyes in shock. The sound, camera angles and, of course, plot creates a brilliant diversity from normal life. Also the creativity behind the whole plot allows it to connect with viewers; the death of Joe's mother, Alice's tempermental father and the use of boy-ish language and scenes. It also incorporates a sense of courage and bravery throughout the film. I recommend this film to those who like a thriller but also enjoy friendships and a hit of relationships.
Teen, 17 years old Written byWREN345 July 7, 2012

Cloverfeild's J.J. Abrams Directs an excellent Sci-Fi Movie with heart

Great movie lots of drinking,some pot smoking violence isnt very bad (some fake blood in a movie,one man is stabbed by a aliens arm,lots of blood comes out) The language is my biggest concern (f*** a**hole,s***,bull s*** jesus,h***,d***,b****,dumb a**, d***,p****) This is a choice for mature 10 year olds and up
Kid, 11 years old June 29, 2012

review

There is a lot of bad language. A few hundred uses of sh** and one use of f***. Violence is fine, not too bad and no gore.
Educator Written bySTEPHIEGIRL66 June 24, 2012

SUPER 8

COOL WHEN NETFLIX HAS IT ON INSTANT IM GOING TO WATCH IT
Kid, 12 years old June 18, 2012

great movie

this is a great movie. there are several drug references when a store clerk asks a kid if he wants pot. there is one f*** and a P****. overall it is a great movie