All member reviews for Super 8

Teens save town in action-heavy sci-fi film with retro feel.

Parent Written bydonnablvd May 19, 2013

Reviews from my two girls.

From a 10-year-old - One of the Coolest Movies Ever!!!! This movie was awesome. The train wreck was cool but totally insane. This movie is one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. What bothered me most was the language. There was quite a bit of violence. To all who are going to see this movie, keep watching the movie as the ending credits go on and you'll see the movie the kids are making. For somebody who gets scared easily I'd say ages 12 and up. But, for somebody who doesn't get scared easily I'd say ages 10 and up. Love this movie! *********************************************************************************** From a 9-year-old - Super 8! I think Super 8 is a really good movie. I think it would be good for 9 year olds and up. There is some bad language and close ups on BLOOD. I liked most of it. Even though I prepared myself for most of the scares it still got me a lot. Over all I think this is a great movie. *********************************************************************************** Averaging their age choices, they recommend this movie for 10-year-olds.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston May 15, 2013

Cool, but not I repreat NOT for kids.

Super 8 was a crazy good film. Not for kids though. This film has cool graphics, awesome action, and everything. I recommend Super 8.
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

super 8 info

Super 8 is a good movie its about a monster. These kids are filming a movie about zombies but something goes wrong. It has pop outs and good adventure. It might be to scary for some kids theres an intense train wreck and a bus wreck. I do think this would be a great movie for teens. THANK YOU FOR READING :)
Teen, 14 years old Written by69 awesome April 13, 2013

Terrible

This movie is plain terrible every thing the acting the bullets of the guns. Hasn't anyone noticed the acting it was terrible I felt like I was in a play. Don't bother :(
Teen, 14 years old Written byproterminator123 April 10, 2013

proterminator123

I think its a great movie and i loved it but it did have some strong language and some violence in it but all n all its a great movie
Kid, 11 years old March 15, 2013

!!!!!!!!!READ THIS FOR ACCURATE IMPORTANT INFO - DO NOT SKIP PAST IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The violence and swearing are quite strong, one use of F*** and loads of uses of s*** and one character smokes drugs. The violence is pretty intense with a severed leg being chewed by the alien, and a scene in an overturned bus, where a man is crushed (with no blood) and a man is smooched against some glass (a load of blood).However, the morale of the story is good - it teaches us to let go and move on with our lives even if something bad happens.I am 11 and I love this film!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion March 11, 2013

Exciting, Intense Sci-Fi Movie

Super 8 is a really fun sci-fi movie. It tells the story of some kids who are amateur filmmakers; one night when filming a scene for their zombie movie at a train stop, a pick-up truck drives in front of an oncoming train and the train derails, causing a massive wreck and explosion. An unknown creature escapes from the train and causes havoc on the town. Soon the military becomes involved, but the kids are the only ones who know enough to understand what's happening and save the town. The movie's tone is very similar to that of Spielberg's family sci-fi flicks: E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, including emphasis on the emotion and nostalgia of the main characters over relentless alien action. This one is heavier on the violence though. It's definitely not a movie you could show your little kids, and it's rated PG-13 with good reason. Aside from some isolated profanity (including one "f" word) and comical, recreational marijuana use by a hippie pothead, violence is about the only issue in the movie. It's pretty heavy when it shows up, though. Many innocent people (including kids) are attacked by the unseen alien in several potentially frightening scenes. Their fate is unresolved until the end of the movie. The alien isn't evil, per say, but it does kill several humans, including some innocents. The innocent victims are tossed into the air, and presumably are killed upon impact with the ground (no blood or gore). The scenes where the alien kills soldier antagonists are more graphic however. Their bodies are shown in some blood. One man has his head bit apart by the alien (we see it from behind a pane of glass, with large blood splatter upon impact). One man is killed via lethal injection (we see him jerk and eventually die). Kids are consistently in peril over the course of the movie. Many adults, including military and police personnel, are antagonists. This is a superbly entertaining movie for kids and adults, but I'd watch it before letting younger pre-teens see it. It might be too intense.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLevi Tupper February 10, 2013

Overall, worth watching at least once

The thing most likely to turn children off to this movie is probably its violence. It's essentially a thriller for kids. There is some weapon use and a few close-up blood scenes, but nothing grotesque that should make a preteen child too squeamish. There is a mildly uncomfortable scene in the movie where a man refuses to talk and is injected with a fatal dose of something, but that's probably the scene most likely to make younger children cry, and if you can handle that, you should be fine. The scene most adults talk about in reference to the violence is the spectacular train wreck. In my opinion, there's nothing very wrong in the train wreck. It was not filmed to be scary, it was filmed to be dramatic, fantastic, and thrilling. There are a few issues with language, but as long as your kid knows not to say any of the bad words, it will be fine. There's also a scene where someone briefly tries to sell them pot, but generally your child is too young to understand, or old enough to know it's wrong. The movie has an overall positive message to let go of past hurts, move forward, and not hate something just because you don't understand it. The only bad role models in the movie are exaggerated, so it's very obvious that they're the bad guy, and there are plenty of good people in the film. For families, I'll rate it an 8 out of 10, for some scary moments and mild violence. For quality, I give it a 9.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2013

An Amazing Sci Fi Movie

This movie's super 8-t+mazing=Super Amazing. There's some intense scenes like the train crash. There's also a reference to drugs, and some language. The main character isn't perfect, but he's still a good role model. The acting is super gr8 (get it?) and the special effects are too. Some people complain that it's not original. It's not supposed to be. It pays homage to Steven Spielberg's sci fi movies from the 70's and 80's
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheflash9 October 28, 2012

Suspenseful Action Flick is Worth it for the Younger Kids

I'd have to say Super 8 is one of my favorite movies of all time. Super 8 is full of just the right amount of action, drama, suspense, and even a few laughs. Super 8 tells the story of six friends making a Super 8 movie in 1979. The main charcter, Joe, is in this because he needs to get on with life, his mother recently died in a steel mill accident. When the kids witness a huge terrifying train crash a mystery evolves, the crash looked as if it was done on purpose. Why?
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 22, 2012

I think the title is meant to say "Super Movie".

I really like the Super 8! It is really cool and action packed.Why does CSM have to say,little kids can't watch it?!
Teen, 17 years old Written byyourface239956 October 15, 2012

A must watch

This is an amazing movie but it does have a lot of action and some violence. This is my all time favorite movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byforney.tx October 12, 2012

REVEIW FROM ME!

It is a really good movie it would be a good switch instead of horror movie!! Its loaded with action packed events that are spooky but not scary or night mare scary
Teen, 13 years old Written byJett0001 October 4, 2012

A Well Done Spielberg Production

Kid, 9 years old September 14, 2012

review #2 by rwb

a great movie vilonce,4there was lots of vilonce a car crashes into a train and makes it blow up there was a squidish thing grabs people and hangs them lots of scary images of the mother death but no blood sex,1there was some flirting language,3 some bad cussing like one use of f**k said by an older teenager one use of p***y there was lots of s**t bulls**t a**hole bi**h h**l d**k a** d**n dumba** idiot stupid oh my god jesus god but still a great drinking,drugs,and smoking,3 movie the police are drinking in a scene mr dainard is shown drunk drinking or smoking cigaretts and a little bit more things but still a great movie
Teen, 14 years old Written bylook-it's-amey September 6, 2012

Best Movie EVER!

I really love this movie. I've seen it 4 times in a week! I think I especially enjoyed it because it was about kids my own age and because it is a comedy, romance, sci-fi, thriller, suspense, action packed adventure movie all rolled into one! This movie has a fair bit of swear like s**t, a**hole, p***y, d**k and even one f**k. But it's really natural, so they only ever swear when a normal person would swear; like during the train crash. This movie is definitely NOT scary, though it has a bit of violence, intense scenes, it's not all that gory. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. 11 out of 10!
Adult Written byJEDI micah August 23, 2012

A pretty scary, thrilling, on-the-edge-of-your-seat alien movie!

What a terrific movie! The acting of the teenagers is excellent, the special effects are breathtaking, the alien is so frightening, and the peril can give you chills! It actually looks like you're watching an 80's alien movie except the special effects are cooler! But this movie is not for little kids. It'll send shivers to their spines, AND NOT IN THE GOOD WAY! This movie is best saved for teens. I think it is worth watching if you are looking for a sci-fi thriller with a mystery!
Teen, 16 years old Written byPrincessCharmed797 August 2, 2012

Super 8

This was 'Super Gr8'. Abrams kept the storyline too secret, so it has danger in the box office. This is a sci-fi epic, so tons of action violence. There is a disturbing zombie short made by the kids. The characters risk their lives to save each other. Some flirting, a kiss. 1 f***, and multiple uses of other profanity. 7-Eleven (an advertising partner) is seen once. One character says he is 'stoned', and some characters drink beer. This was amazing.
Kid, 10 years old July 25, 2012

great movie

there is quite a bit of swearing including the f word and alot of sh words. an older teen asks a younger teen if he wants to buy some "pot".
Parent Written bySir William July 25, 2012

A refreshing film that has the Spielberg touch

I think its a good family film, not to much Gore. Can get scary at times, but not the kind that will give kids nightmares. I would not take really young kids to see it, they probably would not understand it as well as some scenes being a bit intense for them.