All member reviews for Super 8

Teens save town in action-heavy sci-fi film with retro feel.

Kid, 12 years old October 16, 2013

Strong Language And Drugs

Super 8 is a fantastic Sci-fi film but contains strong language and use of drugs, smoking and alcohol. A film kids 12 or over will love and enjoy. It's my favourite film currently.
Parent of a 7 and 12 year old Written byMonicaMom September 26, 2013

Good movie -- fun for most older tweens and up

There is some drug use, but the message that "drugs are bad!" is given. A bit scary (a big alien eating people, etc.) Kids sneak out in the middle of the night, drive without a license, etc. but overall are pretty good kids/role models.
Parent Written bycoolkid007 September 4, 2013

not for kids under 13

It contains a redeemable plot in the end although therenis aton of language from kids including an f-word also it is very intense. The whole train accident scene was impossible especially with survivors there is also some drug content
Kid, 11 years old August 21, 2013

Not for kids under 11

I absolutely love this movie. Even though it does have the people saying S--t a lot, one f--k, a couple of a--. It includes drug use and one guy trying to sell the kids pot which I think parents should talk about with kids before watching. I would recommend watching the behind the scenes stuff before watching because it contains blood, scary scenes that involve what the monster does with the human and animals,how the monster captures them. But overall it still have good messages and role models.
Kid, 12 years old July 30, 2013

Nice fantasy sci-fi film

Nice film! Good if your looking for a fantasy adventure film that's not too violent.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymiles12345677A. June 18, 2013

a retro-style monster movie

Very entertaining. J.J. Abrams and Steven Spielberg do great at making that classic feel, which is especially entertaining for retro fans.
Teen, 13 years old Written byKyle1414 June 17, 2013

Amazing movie! But the language is really bad! Haha!

There is a lot of violence, mostly explosions. There is A LOT of suggestive language. When I watched the movie for a second time, I counted about 36 swear words total throughout the whole movie. Although this movie IS quite inappropriate, it's not bad enough to be explicit towards a 13 or 14 year old. This movie does have a good message along with positive role models, and I love the storyline! I own it and I actually watch it almost all of the time!
Kid, 10 years old June 14, 2013

Great alien movie

This is a great sci-fi movie! It makes you sit on the edge of your seat. JJ Abrams has made yet another great movie full of action. This movie has some mild violent alien sequences. There is a huge train crash scene which is awesome. The alien eats people with usually no blood. There is some bad language. There is 2 or 3 f words, a couple s words, some p words, and some uses of di-k. This movie isn't too inappropriate. There are some intense scenes but this is a great movie. I wouldn't recommend it to kids under 10
Parent Written byLadyRed June 5, 2013

Great movie, but NOT for young kids

I really wish there was a cut version of this. Loved the whole movie, but the profanity is too much for my 8 year old and I could do without the scene where the kids are offered drugs. Wish they had gone a more "Goonies" route in that respect. I wouldn't let any child under 11 see it, but my husband and I enjoyed it a lot!
Kid, 10 years old May 22, 2013

BEST MOVIE EVER

THE BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER SEEN I love this film I have seen it over 40 times believe it or not its true an amazing summer blockbuster with great special effects, story, and acting
Parent Written bydonnablvd May 19, 2013

Reviews from my two girls.

From a 10-year-old - One of the Coolest Movies Ever!!!! This movie was awesome. The train wreck was cool but totally insane. This movie is one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. What bothered me most was the language. There was quite a bit of violence. To all who are going to see this movie, keep watching the movie as the ending credits go on and you'll see the movie the kids are making. For somebody who gets scared easily I'd say ages 12 and up. But, for somebody who doesn't get scared easily I'd say ages 10 and up. Love this movie! *********************************************************************************** From a 9-year-old - Super 8! I think Super 8 is a really good movie. I think it would be good for 9 year olds and up. There is some bad language and close ups on BLOOD. I liked most of it. Even though I prepared myself for most of the scares it still got me a lot. Over all I think this is a great movie. *********************************************************************************** Averaging their age choices, they recommend this movie for 10-year-olds.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMitchell Charleston May 15, 2013

Cool, but not I repreat NOT for kids.

Super 8 was a crazy good film. Not for kids though. This film has cool graphics, awesome action, and everything. I recommend Super 8.
Kid, 10 years old May 4, 2013

super 8 info

Super 8 is a good movie its about a monster. These kids are filming a movie about zombies but something goes wrong. It has pop outs and good adventure. It might be to scary for some kids theres an intense train wreck and a bus wreck. I do think this would be a great movie for teens. THANK YOU FOR READING :)
Teen, 14 years old Written by69 awesome April 13, 2013

Terrible

This movie is plain terrible every thing the acting the bullets of the guns. Hasn't anyone noticed the acting it was terrible I felt like I was in a play. Don't bother :(
Teen, 14 years old Written byproterminator123 April 10, 2013

proterminator123

I think its a great movie and i loved it but it did have some strong language and some violence in it but all n all its a great movie
Parent of a 17 year old Written byTsion March 11, 2013

Exciting, Intense Sci-Fi Movie

Super 8 is a really fun sci-fi movie. It tells the story of some kids who are amateur filmmakers; one night when filming a scene for their zombie movie at a train stop, a pick-up truck drives in front of an oncoming train and the train derails, causing a massive wreck and explosion. An unknown creature escapes from the train and causes havoc on the town. Soon the military becomes involved, but the kids are the only ones who know enough to understand what's happening and save the town. The movie's tone is very similar to that of Spielberg's family sci-fi flicks: E.T. and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, including emphasis on the emotion and nostalgia of the main characters over relentless alien action. This one is heavier on the violence though. It's definitely not a movie you could show your little kids, and it's rated PG-13 with good reason. Aside from some isolated profanity (including one "f" word) and comical, recreational marijuana use by a hippie pothead, violence is about the only issue in the movie. It's pretty heavy when it shows up, though. Many innocent people (including kids) are attacked by the unseen alien in several potentially frightening scenes. Their fate is unresolved until the end of the movie. The alien isn't evil, per say, but it does kill several humans, including some innocents. The innocent victims are tossed into the air, and presumably are killed upon impact with the ground (no blood or gore). The scenes where the alien kills soldier antagonists are more graphic however. Their bodies are shown in some blood. One man has his head bit apart by the alien (we see it from behind a pane of glass, with large blood splatter upon impact). One man is killed via lethal injection (we see him jerk and eventually die). Kids are consistently in peril over the course of the movie. Many adults, including military and police personnel, are antagonists. This is a superbly entertaining movie for kids and adults, but I'd watch it before letting younger pre-teens see it. It might be too intense.
Teen, 16 years old Written byLevi Tupper February 10, 2013

Overall, worth watching at least once

The thing most likely to turn children off to this movie is probably its violence. It's essentially a thriller for kids. There is some weapon use and a few close-up blood scenes, but nothing grotesque that should make a preteen child too squeamish. There is a mildly uncomfortable scene in the movie where a man refuses to talk and is injected with a fatal dose of something, but that's probably the scene most likely to make younger children cry, and if you can handle that, you should be fine. The scene most adults talk about in reference to the violence is the spectacular train wreck. In my opinion, there's nothing very wrong in the train wreck. It was not filmed to be scary, it was filmed to be dramatic, fantastic, and thrilling. There are a few issues with language, but as long as your kid knows not to say any of the bad words, it will be fine. There's also a scene where someone briefly tries to sell them pot, but generally your child is too young to understand, or old enough to know it's wrong. The movie has an overall positive message to let go of past hurts, move forward, and not hate something just because you don't understand it. The only bad role models in the movie are exaggerated, so it's very obvious that they're the bad guy, and there are plenty of good people in the film. For families, I'll rate it an 8 out of 10, for some scary moments and mild violence. For quality, I give it a 9.
Kid, 12 years old January 8, 2013

An Amazing Sci Fi Movie

This movie's super 8-t+mazing=Super Amazing. There's some intense scenes like the train crash. There's also a reference to drugs, and some language. The main character isn't perfect, but he's still a good role model. The acting is super gr8 (get it?) and the special effects are too. Some people complain that it's not original. It's not supposed to be. It pays homage to Steven Spielberg's sci fi movies from the 70's and 80's
Teen, 13 years old Written byTheflash9 October 28, 2012

Suspenseful Action Flick is Worth it for the Younger Kids

I'd have to say Super 8 is one of my favorite movies of all time. Super 8 is full of just the right amount of action, drama, suspense, and even a few laughs. Super 8 tells the story of six friends making a Super 8 movie in 1979. The main charcter, Joe, is in this because he needs to get on with life, his mother recently died in a steel mill accident. When the kids witness a huge terrifying train crash a mystery evolves, the crash looked as if it was done on purpose. Why?
Adult Written byTimTheTVGuy October 22, 2012

I think the title is meant to say "Super Movie".

I really like the Super 8! It is really cool and action packed.Why does CSM have to say,little kids can't watch it?!