All member reviews for Super 8

Teens save town in action-heavy sci-fi film with retro feel.

Teen, 14 years old Written bySecretAgentPalin June 22, 2011

Brilliant Premise, decent movie.

This movie is definitely worth seeing if you like action or sci-fi. There's also quite a bit of suspense in this movie as well. It isn't really nightmare material, but it is quite scary in the moment. Although the violence and suspense is at a high level, the main issue is the language used. If your kid doesn't get that he or she isn't allowed to say certain words, this movie won't help. Especially because it's mostly KIDS uttering obscenities.
Teen, 13 years old Written byocie14 June 22, 2011

Really awesome, scary for kids

I'm 13, I saw this movie and loved it. I'm easily scared, but I gotta say, this movie might make you scream/squeal a few times. There is heavy violence, and kids are in peril. The monster/alien thing also might scare younger kids. Joe's friends also cuss plenty, using "sh*t", "p**sy", "**shole", etc. which might make it seem okay for 13 yr olds to cuss. Overall, it's a really entertaining and cool movie but the violence is intense and there are frightening scenes.
Teen, 15 years old Written byDarkArcher64 June 22, 2011

Cool Movie has Startaling Moments

I went to this this movie and it wasent what I expected. There is one alien in the movie which keeps killing people and is seen multiple times. Lots of bloodshed but most of the violence is quick, but will starlte ytou. The teens in the movie swear a ton and one adult drops the F-bomb once. One teenage girl keeps asking her parents if she can wear revealing clothes, and one character passes out after a ton of drugs. But the drugs aren't seen on-screen. Its defenitly a movie that you should stop and think about before going to see it.
Kid, 11 years old June 22, 2011

Best Movie ever!

I loved this movie! it is actually the best I've ever seen. Sure there's a lot of violence and swearing but that's what makes this movie good. It all fits in together. This is like a mixture of E.T., The Goonies, and some scary movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byunderdawg June 20, 2011

it was pretty good but not great

super 8 is a great movie for tweens but not for children younger than 9 because it can be scary and there is a lot of violince and cussing and they drink alchohalic beverages in some parts.
Kid, 11 years old June 20, 2011

LOVE IT!!!!!

Great but overuse of cuss words. If u don't think it's good for kids ur crazy! Love it!!
Parent Written byPinkladykari June 20, 2011

Good Movie

We brought my 9 yr old son and 11 yr old daughter to see it. I was a little leary, but they were fine. My daughter loved it. There were a few scenes that made us jump, but she laughed at them. My son covered his ears a lot because of the loudness, but otherwise, he really liked it. The movie was scary, but not gorry.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

Great movie

It was a great movie. I'm 12, and it was completely fine for me, but I'm not near as squeamish or anything as almost any kids my age. There was a lot of suspense and excitement, and a lot of violence. Most of it, not so bad, but my favorite scene was the one with the train crash. It seems to start as a carefree moment, they're filming a home-made zombie movie, and a train goes by. But, then, a pickup truck drives onto the tracks and right into the train. It seems a little overkill, I mean, how could a pickup truck make a 20-car-or-so train literally fall to pieces? But, in theaters, the sounds with screeching and explosions literally had me holding my breath throughout the crash, to the end when pieces were falling from the sky. So, as I said earlier that I'm better handling this than most kids my age, you might want to comfort your children around this scene ages 10-12, or maybe you may wait until it comes out on DVD. But, as always, I don't know your children as good as you do, so it's on a case-by-case basis. I didn't have language as an issue. Most of you parents may not know, but children in late elementary school, and especially middle school, seem to curse a lot more than you think. In 6th grade, I honestly hear worse than what was in this movie, in just half an hour at school. But, if you think it's different, so be it. They loosely used d*ck, a**, a**hole, dumba**, sh*t, d*mn, and h*ll. Almost only, actually, in carefree moments, when you'd expect they'd use those before throwing up when in real danger, but they didn't at all. However, one kid did throw up twice. They also used f*ck once, Which I will explain with drugs. There's a lot of smoking in the movie, but other than that, just about all the drugs were consumed by an older teenager that worked at the camera shop. He tried to sell the kids marijuana, and then was high so he couldn't drive, so one of the ~12-13 year olds drove. He then used their f*ck word while he was high, when in my opinion, they should've used it after the train crash, or in a scene where the main character was having an intense argument with his dad. So, it was a great movie, especially with suspense, but the major things were the train crash scene, someone smoking marijuana, and a single use of the F word.
Kid, 12 years old June 20, 2011

A great movie!

Super 8 is really a great movie. It has a positive message, the kids worked together and solved a problem that even the adults couldn't solve. The kids all have good things about them, they are loyal to there friends and Joe is very kind. It is violent though, the train explodes, there's a monster destroying things, and one scene where a teacher is badly hurt. There are cuss words used a lot in the movie. There is one character as well who asks one of the kids if they would wanna buy pot and later is scene smoking a joint and admits that he's high. Even though there are some innipropriate things, Super 8 is worth seeing.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byGrisabella June 19, 2011

Language is minor concern considering positive original movie.

A smart friend driven thriller/sci fi movie! Rather than depending on overwhelming special effects this film is original and a refreshing look at a group of friends who interact and communicate with each other. So the language is a little rough, but not gratuitous to my kids who know it won't fly with us. From watching older movies of that period like the original cut of ET and others, the language is true to the standards of movie making of that era. There are far more positive messages in this movie than a few words can ruin it! Lastly, there are a lot of scary jump out of your seat moments that younger kids will hate and everyone else will enjoy! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byjadeybug12 June 19, 2011

Super 8 = Super Scare

I saw Super 8 on Father's Day with my dad and his fiance, and I don't think I'll ever be the same. The language bothered me from the start, and the violence....wow. I was horrifyed by the car crash and the death of Nelec the most. I travel by train a lot, and the giant train explosion didn't comfort me too much. Maybe I'm just a fraidycat, but for all parents out there, make sure you know if your teen can handle it.
Kid, 11 years old June 19, 2011

Great for kids 10+

I loved this movie! It does have some bad language, and a lot of violence, so kids shouldn't see it if they are scared easily. But overall it's very good.
Kid, 12 years old June 19, 2011

Not the "Gr8est"

My friend invited me to see this movie with her, and honestly, it wasn't awful. There was a lot of violence, but disagreeing with what Common Sense Media says, I don't think the train crash was that terrifying. There were some scary parts, some funny parts, and some down-right weird parts. Earlier, I texted my friend who didn't reply until I was in the middle of the movie, and she had in fact just gotten out of the movie; and loved it. I, on the other hand, tend to like the cliche romantic comedies. So the movie would be great if you like sci-fi action thrillers, but if those movies aren't for you, I woudln't recommend it.
Parent of a 8 and 12 year old Written byMeechie June 19, 2011

GREAT Sci-Fi not for kids! Movie's kids curse ALOT

I thought Super 8 was an intense sci-fi movie with many moments the audience jumped out of their seats and screamed out loud which while fun for adults and teens would be scary to younger kids. The monster/alien is really evil looking too. This creature could be a cousin to the one in the "Alien" franchise and is nothing like "E.T." I thought the worse thing in this movie is kids showing disrespect towards parents, and the kids' vulgar language throughout the entire movie. IMO it's way too much and not needed. There are also too many "fat" jokes (guess it's okay/funny to make "fat" jokes, just not "gay" jokes because that would be mean or a hate crime??? BOTH types of jokes hurt kids!) and smoking pot/getting stoned is portrayed as humorous as well. So I enjoyed this movie, but I'm very glad I did not take my kids to see it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAgentBartowski June 19, 2011

Super 8 is the best movie of the summer, without a doubt

Super 8 is one of those rarities in modern film. It's a sci-fi film, but it manages to step over the boundaries set by that genre to become a thriller and a drama as well. It's exciting but also hilarious at parts. It's scary, but not gratuitously jumpy. It's a film about aliens and close encounters, but it manages to be completely original. And it is also the best movie of the summer, though the summer is just beginning. In Super 8, a group of kids (all relative unknowns with the exception of the astounding Elle Fanning, who was so great in Somewhere, all of them amazing to behold) are filming a zombie movie for a film festival when there is a huge, spectacular, terrifying train wreck from which something unseen escapes. The film the kids made may hold the key to finding the creature from the crash after multiple townspeople (including a main character) are abducted and the military moves in with less than noble intentions towards the town and the creature. The film is very intense and sometimes scary so kids who get freaked out easily may want to skip this, but those who can handle a few cusses (one comedic use of the f-bomb, some uses of s*** and p***y), some disturbing images (severed limb, severely injured man) and mature themes (the unscrupulous military leader gives a dying man a lethal injection after he doesn't cooperate and puts kids in harms way) will love this fantastic film about growing up and compassion towards others.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2011

AWESOME!!!!

THIS MOVIE IS FREAKING AWESOME!!! I swear its going to be a classic, best movie out right now. Period.
Adult Written bybdh June 18, 2011

awsome

great movie
Adult Written bykhan2705 June 18, 2011

one of the very best summer movies of the year. hated the F Bomb.

4.5/5 Writer/director J.J. Abrams teams with producer Steven Spielberg for this period sci-fi thriller set in the late '70s, and centering on a mysterious train crash in a small Ohio town. Summer, 1979: a group of young friends are filming a Super-8 movie when a pickup truck derails a speeding train. When the locals start to disappear and even the inquisitive deputy can't come up with answers, suspicions emerge that the incident was anything but an accident. As the truth finally begins emerge, no one is prepared to learn what now stalks the unsuspecting citizens of this once quiet community. Kyle Chandler and Elle Fanning star. yes, finally i watched one of my most awaited movie of the year. i was so curious and anticipated to watch it and i did today, with cloudy lovable weather when i saw this movie i came out feeling so good. it brought back the memories of those old classic movies like E.T and Close Encounters and many others. i wish in this modern world more and more Good Old Fashioned movies about old times should be made. this movie was just pure lovable. it may not be a complete classic memorable film for generations like them but still its a fun and entertaining movie to watch with your friends on a lovely weekend afternoon you will come out loving it, you may wanna watch it again too. this is one of the very few movies so far that made me stick and involve throughout the movie from very start to the very end.it is not a movie with much action scenes but its not boring at all. i remember its first look and the mystery it had and then waiting for it. finally i saw it. Produced by the genius classics maker director Steven Spielberg and Directed by J.J Abrams. his last movies were Mission Impossible 3 and Star Trek along with his produced movies and TV series. this movie was in trusting hands and i must say he proved that. i exactly loved the way this movie was. good direction. screenplay was good too, nicely written its somewhat flawless. story is really fresh though it felt a bit weak in this movie to be honest. plot was good but not best or excellent. Excellent cinematography and art direction. good Visual Effects and action sequences like that train crash or few throughout the middle and the ending ofcourse. i liked them as there weren't many and they weren't overdone. beautifully filmed movie it is. the children in the movie were so lovable, i loved them. main guy is Joel Courtney as Joe, the main gal is the beautiful Elle Fanning as Alice. i really liked their performances. Joel has the ability to carry off the movie on his own shoulders to be honest. i loved their cute little romance in it. other actors are Kyle Chandler, Noah Emmerich, Ron Eldard, Gabriel Basso , Amanda Michalka , Katie Lowes , Jessica Tuck and others. you will see that alien/monster thing in the end, the mystery is there throughout the movie. i love movies like this. one more thing that I WANTED TO RATE IT 4 STARS BUT I ENDED UP RATING IT 4.5, SO THE .5 EXTRA STAR IS FOR THE ENDING ALONE. oh man the ending was memorable for me, don't know about you guys. i loved the background music during that scene (throughout too) but specially during that scene, don't wanna spoil much but it reminded me of E.T the whole emotion was there and it ended up in TEARS for me. wow i felt really heavy during it. i must be honest you don't get attached to the alien here as you did with E.T since you don't see him much and all but it was Joe's character that brought tears into my eyes. classic ending it was. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED, go see it guys. you will love it.
Teen, 17 years old Written byH2O Family June 18, 2011