All member reviews for Super 8

Teens save town in action-heavy sci-fi film with retro feel.

Kid, 11 years old June 9, 2011

Super 8

This was 'Super Gr8'. Abrams kept the storyline too secret, so it has danger in the box office. This is a sci-fi epic, so tons of action violence. There is a disturbing zombie short made by the kids. The characters risk their lives to save each other. Some flirting, a kiss. 1 f***, and multiple uses of other profanity. 7-Eleven (an advertising partner) is seen once. One character says he is 'stoned', and some characters drink beer. This was amazing.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTim2814 June 10, 2011

Good movie Bad language

Super 8 is a Heavy action flick, but is not all that scary there is some blood but not allot of it. It does however have language that is very inappropriate for anyone to be using such as F__k, S__t, P___y, J____s, D__k, and the like.
Adult Written bytville June 11, 2011

Fun Film. But plenty of bad language and a couple violent scenes.

Fun summer film that has good child role models. And the bad adults come around in the end. Great acting and story-line. Good movie making. Cons: Swearing is throughout the film; Holy S--t is used a lot by some of the main child characters. And a couple of too gross and violent scenes (like brief glimpse of a monster eating a severed leg...) My ten-year-old enjoyed it, but I think 11 or 12 is a better minimum age.
Written byAnonymous October 5, 2014

Super 8 review

========================================================= Sex/Nudity: Charles' sister wears a period halter top that shows a lot of bare midriff. A boy sings a few lyrics from the song "My Sharona," including "You make my motor run" (innuendo). We see Charles' older teen sister in the same or a similar halter top again (more bare midriff), but her mom won't let her go out in that. A store clerk, Donny, asks Charles about his "hot" sister and "not the other one." The song "My Sharona" plays during the end credits, and includes lyrics such as "Never gonna stop, give it up. Such a dirty mind, always get it up. For the touch of the younger kind." 4.5/10. ========================================================= We hear a ruckus inside Jack's house and then see the deputy physically remove Louis from there and put him into the squad car. We see footage from Charles' zombie movie where Martin holds a gun on zombie Cary, that falls to the floor and then he pushes the zombie back against some protruding nails, killing the zombie, with blood coming out of his mouth (all of that is very amateurish and fake-looking). The kids set up a night shoot at a train station for a scene for their film. During that, a train passes by at a high rate of speed, with Joe then noticing a pickup truck racing from the other direction, onto the tracks, and right at the train. They collide, followed by a massive explosion, derailment, more explosions and the complete destruction of the train station. During this, the kids flee, as debris falls all around them, explosions go off all around them, and they're generally in a great deal of harm's way. We see a scene from Charles' movie where Martin's character shoot's Cary's zombie character, with (fake) bloody results. The town's sheriff hears odd noises while filling up his squad car, while a pack of dogs suddenly run by, followed by a large crate suddenly sliding by on the ground. We then see footage from inside the station where, in the background of the shot, we see the sheriff's car being smashed and thrashed about. The clerk then goes out there and slowly looks around, but the sheriff is nowhere to be seen. The clerk then turns around, screams and is grabbed by something big (that we only partially and briefly see). A power man in a bucket truck hears weird sounds while working a power line, and then sees various heavy objects being thrown into the air by unknown means. He then panics and we partially and briefly see something attack the truck. Col. Nelec has his assistant put something lethal into an injured man's IV line, thus causing the latter to convulse and presumably die. We see a bottle of booze by Alice's dad and he angrily tells her why she doesn't be just like her mom and leave. She does, on her bike, while he chases after her in his car. He ends up accidentally crashing that into a parked vehicle, while a huge monster (partially seen) shows up behind Alice and grabs her as she screams. Jack tells a guard that he has to "take a leak" and asks if he's just supposed to "piss" in his cell. This is all a ruse, however, to get the guard to open the door. Jack then hits the guard, grabs his rifle, and uses the butt of that to hit the guard again. To create a diversion, Jack fires a shot into a tanker truck that's filled with explosive material, resulting in a big explosion. The boys break glass in a school door to gain entry and go through Dr. Woodward's papers, looking for clues. In old movie footage, a man is suddenly grabbed by a mostly unseen but huge monster that lifts him high off the ground (but doesn't harm him). The monster suddenly attacks an Air Force bus carrying Col. Nelec, some guards and Joe and his friends (locked in the back), sending it leaning over to one side as it continues down the road. It then jams its hand into the bus, grabs one of Nelec's men (armed with a tranquilizer gun) and violently thrashes him about (with his gun firing and the shot hitting a window separating them from the boys). The attack on the bus continues, with it being turned over on its side, while an arm/leg from the monster smashes down onto another Air Force man trapped in the wreckage. The kids try to get out, with Joe finally breaking a window through which they escape, while the monster is nearby on the other end of the bus. It then goes inside, Nelec blasts it with machine gun fire to no avail, and it smashes him back against a glass window, presumably killing him (with briefly seen bloody results). The boys run through a neighborhood where military personnel are shooting machine guns, shots from tanks and such, resulting in various explosions and lots of peril. During this, an explosion suddenly blasts through a wall in a house where the boys are located, injuring Martin's leg. Joe and Cary enter the monster's self-dug "cave" and slowly make their way through that. They then spot the monster apparently eating one person (not seen in full). Later, the monster suddenly snatches up the sheriff, and then another person. Joe smacks Alice to rouse her from unconsciousness. Due to the strong magnetic power of a device, various bits of property damage occur as metal objects are pulled through storefront glass, etc. while a soldier holds onto his rifle and is lifted into the air but then lets go and falls a way back down to the street. A water tower collapses and crushes things below it, with various military men running or jumping out of the way. During the end credits, we see the kids' amateurish and fake-looking zombie movie and it includes the following: A detective (Martin) struggles with a zombie (Cary) and pushes him back against some nails, killing him (with blood from the mouth). The same detective shoots another zombie (with bloody results), while a zombie attacks a doctor, with the detective having to shoot both (with bloody results). The detective struggles with his zombie wife (Alice) and injects her with an antidote. Thinking that didn't work, he nearly shoots her, but then stops. 7/10. ========================================================= Blood/Gore: We hear a ruckus inside Jack's house and then see the deputy physically remove Louis from there and put him into the squad car. We see footage from Charles' zombie movie where Martin holds a gun on zombie Cary, that falls to the floor and then he pushes the zombie back against some protruding nails, killing the zombie, with blood coming out of his mouth (all of that is very amateurish and fake-looking). The kids set up a night shoot at a train station for a scene for their film. During that, a train passes by at a high rate of speed, with Joe then noticing a pickup truck racing from the other direction, onto the tracks, and right at the train. They collide, followed by a massive explosion, derailment, more explosions and the complete destruction of the train station. During this, the kids flee, as debris falls all around them, explosions go off all around them, and they're generally in a great deal of harm's way. We see a scene from Charles' movie where Martin's character shoot's Cary's zombie character, with (fake) bloody results. The town's sheriff hears odd noises while filling up his squad car, while a pack of dogs suddenly run by, followed by a large crate suddenly sliding by on the ground. We then see footage from inside the station where, in the background of the shot, we see the sheriff's car being smashed and thrashed about. The clerk then goes out there and slowly looks around, but the sheriff is nowhere to be seen. The clerk then turns around, screams and is grabbed by something big (that we only partially and briefly see). A power man in a bucket truck hears weird sounds while working a power line, and then sees various heavy objects being thrown into the air by unknown means. He then panics and we partially and briefly see something attack the truck. Col. Nelec has his assistant put something lethal into an injured man's IV line, thus causing the latter to convulse and presumably die. We see a bottle of booze by Alice's dad and he angrily tells her why she doesn't be just like her mom and leave. She does, on her bike, while he chases after her in his car. He ends up accidentally crashing that into a parked vehicle, while a huge monster (partially seen) shows up behind Alice and grabs her as she screams. Jack tells a guard that he has to "take a leak" and asks if he's just supposed to "piss" in his cell. This is all a ruse, however, to get the guard to open the door. Jack then hits the guard, grabs his rifle, and uses the butt of that to hit the guard again. To create a diversion, Jack fires a shot into a tanker truck that's filled with explosive material, resulting in a big explosion. The boys break glass in a school door to gain entry and go through Dr. Woodward's papers, looking for clues. In old movie footage, a man is suddenly grabbed by a mostly unseen but huge monster that lifts him high off the ground (but doesn't harm him). The monster suddenly attacks an Air Force bus carrying Col. Nelec, some guards and Joe and his friends (locked in the back), sending it leaning over to one side as it continues down the road. It then jams its hand into the bus, grabs one of Nelec's men (armed with a tranquilizer gun) and violently thrashes him about (with his gun firing and the shot hitting a window separating them from the boys). The attack on the bus continues, with it being turned over on its side, while an arm/leg from the monster smashes down onto another Air Force man trapped in the wreckage. The kids try to get out, with Joe finally breaking a window through which they escape, while the monster is nearby on the other end of the bus. It then goes inside, Nelec blasts it with machine gun fire to no avail, and it smashes him back against a glass window, presumably killing him (with briefly seen bloody results). The boys run through a neighborhood where military personnel are shooting machine guns, shots from tanks and such, resulting in various explosions and lots of peril. During this, an explosion suddenly blasts through a wall in a house where the boys are located, injuring Martin's leg. Joe and Cary enter the monster's self-dug "cave" and slowly make their way through that. They then spot the monster apparently eating one person (not seen in full). Later, the monster suddenly snatches up the sheriff, and then another person. Joe smacks Alice to rouse her from unconsciousness. Due to the strong magnetic power of a device, various bits of property damage occur as metal objects are pulled through storefront glass, etc. while a soldier holds onto his rifle and is lifted into the air but then lets go and falls a way back down to the street. A water tower collapses and crushes things below it, with various military men running or jumping out of the way. During the end credits, we see the kids' amateurish and fake-looking zombie movie and it includes the following: A detective (Martin) struggles with a zombie (Cary) and pushes him back against some nails, killing him (with blood from the mouth). The same detective shoots another zombie (with bloody results), while a zombie attacks a doctor, with the detective having to shoot both (with bloody results). The detective struggles with his zombie wife (Alice) and injects her with an antidote. Thinking that didn't work, he nearly shoots her, but then stops. 6/10. ========================================================= Profanity: At least 1 "f" word, 42 "s" words (another is mouthed, while some of the others could be other words that sound similar, said under duress and during noisy scenes), 3 slang terms for female genitals ("p*ssy"), 2 slang terms for male genitals ("d*ck"), 15 hells, 3 asses (2 used with "hole"), 3 damns, 1 S.O.B., 1 bitch, and 14 uses of "Oh my God," 9 of "Jesus," 8 of "God," 3 of "Swear to God" and 2 of "Oh God" as exclamations. 6/10. ========================================================= Smoking: Jack has a beer. A store clerk, Donny, may make a sarcastic comment about "weed" to Charles (the older teen is later seen smoking some -- noted below). We see some beer bottles by Jack and other cops as they meet about what's occurring in the town. We see a bottle of booze by Alice's dad. Joe and Alice watch old home movies of him as a younger boy with his mom. Alice gets teary when she notes that her father was drunk the morning of the accident that took Joe's mom's life, and that she took over Louis' shift. She adds that she knows her dad wishes it had been him instead, and then that she sometimes wishes that as well. A store clerk smokes a joint, latter comments on being "massively stoned" (after driving that way), and one of the boys confirms that the clerk is "stoned." During the end credits, we see the kids' amateurish and fake-looking zombie movie and it includes the detective (Martin) pretending to have a drink. 6/10. ========================================================= Smoking: Alice's dad smokes once, some cops have at least one lit cigarette on a table in front of them, a miscellaneous woman smokes, and the sheriff apparently nearly uses snuff but is interrupted before getting that to his mouth. During the end credits, we see the kids' amateurish and fake-looking zombie movie and it includes Charles looking like a director, holding a pipe. 3/10. ========================================================= Super 8 is a great science-fiction-thriller film and is definitely worth watching. I give it 7/10. =========================================================
Parent Written byClintD June 11, 2011

Super bomb

The use of the "F" word was a downer for us. My kids did not need to hear it. It ruined the whole movie for us.
Parent Written byWill Reviews June 12, 2011

A Great Movie

There is violence, language, and drug reference, but this is still a great movie to take a mature 11 or 12 year old to.
Adult Written bymasonb1 October 12, 2015

This is my favorite! I love it so much! Language a bit bad

I love this movie so much! It's my favorite movie directed by my favorite director j.j Abrams! Good for kids 12 and up. 1 fu** and a few other words. Swearing is a bit bad but everything else is good.
Parent of a 9 and 12 year old Written byamyo22 September 17, 2015

Hits most of possible nightmare material for kids

This is not for kids at all. Spoiler alert- don't read on if you do plan to watch but DO screen ahead of time if you plan to have kids watch (which I don't recommend... redundant, but worth repeating). Scary monster grabbing and eating people, alcoholic parent verbally abusing child, gore galore, another parent has died in a messy accident (not shown, thank goodness, but talked about) prior to start of movie, giant train wreck... really a lot of nightmare fuel here.
Parent Written bycoolkid007 September 4, 2013

not for kids under 13

It contains a redeemable plot in the end although therenis aton of language from kids including an f-word also it is very intense. The whole train accident scene was impossible especially with survivors there is also some drug content
Kid, 10 years old August 15, 2011

MY FAVORITE!!!!!!!!!!

Favorite Movie Ever! But plenty of scary parts- The mom dies, they don't show it, the dad arrests someone that in a way caused the mother's death, a major train wreck, a ball twists around and shoots through the wall, at a gas station, the alien squishes a police car and grabs a worker, lights go on and off all the time, the army starts a fire, they watch a scary tape showing the alien, gory zombie videos, explosions, the alien is spotted from a graveyard, the alien tips over a bus and kills a bunch of men, they go into the aliens hole to get Alice back (and the alien also is shown taking Alice) and still more. But that makes it the great movie it is.
Parent Written byMoviesAlright June 28, 2011

HIP HIP HORAY!

There is one person tht says some launguage and another kid says launguage tht my kid can NOT use!!! And very violent but overall I give it a 5 stars!
Kid, 11 years old May 31, 2015

Lots of swearing, lots of violence.

lots of swearin, lots of violence, but overall good movie
Adult Written byVirtuous Gamer November 26, 2011

Immoral Film

This is definitely not for children. It is filled with language which is not for ANYONE to use. It also has obvious and profound drug references, and it has sensual references which are (in any case whatsoever) unnecessary. Do not see this film. I truthfully and utterly regret seeing it.
Kid, 11 years old April 15, 2016
Super 8 is a really good suspense movie, but it is a little scary . And I think it has a medium amount of action.
Teen, 15 years old Written byBanzaiwashout March 7, 2016

One thing wrong with this film.

Vomit. A film that vomits twice and has absolutely nothing to do with the plot is useless. If it would've just been once it would've been 5/5. But twice is too much.
Teen, 15 years old Written byIrdray2019 December 23, 2015

Good storyline, for mature children

This movie was enjoyable and exciting, but for mature kids. It's filled with multiple uses of s**t and a**hole and some f**k, p***y, d**k, b**ch and the like. There are some scary moments for younger/immature viewers; some blood, and lots of violence. There is shooting, explosions, and heavy, heavy drug references, uses, and offers. There are a few sex references, but not too much.
Kid, 12 years old October 25, 2015

Watch it with your kids.

I was scared to watch this movie for a long time because of the rating PG13. I ended up watching it with a friend late at night and overall, it is not too scary for 12+ but has several jump scares. It has a lot of cussing in it but is overall a great mystery movie with a few scares. I would say watch it with your kids and not at night.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 October 24, 2015

Just epic and beautiful.

Super 8 is an excellent movie. The child actors, especially Joel Courtney and Elle Fanning were great in their roles. The action was outstanding and awesome and it has a lot of heartwarming moments. To be honest, the ending was beautiful. It also has decent special effects. Grade: A.
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy Brew August 8, 2015
Teen, 14 years old Written byThoughtful20 January 17, 2015

Good movie!

Please read full review! Super 8 is a movie with a very retro feel (around 1980). Pros: Pretty good special effects. Good acting in most parts. Retro feel is nice. Cons: Will leave you saying "what?" sometimes. Acting in some parts feels campy. So does the story. Concerns: Violence and language are prominent concerns, Characters use "s--t" constantly,mostly, "Holy s--t!" things such as "p---y" and "d--k" are used very occasionally, and "What the f--k" once. Gore can be a problem for squeamish audiences, and includes a man's head being smashed onscreen from behind, but cutting away in about a half a second, Lots of blood, but never lingering, except for in the beginning of the movie, when a bloodied man in a truck crash is threatening the children with a gun (which he never uses). a lot of characters die, but very rarely onscreen. Now as far as drugs, there aren't very many concerns, except for in two scenes, in one, a young adult attempts to sell the kids marijuana, and in the second, the same guy is described as "stoned". This was a fun movie that should not be overlooked, but should not be seen by children under 12 in my opinion. Thanks for reading!