All member reviews for Superman: The Movie

Super-nostalgic superhero adventure still soars.

Adult Written byDr3w November 29, 2011

Great Film-Making

Well, I think there have been enough reviews of this movie from a quality perspective. However, I have yet to see a review that accurately described the bad content in this film, so I thought I might as well write a review. Superman is not an overly gratuitous film. It shows quite a bit of restraint as far as violence, language and sexual behaviour are concerned, but it is not squeaky clean. There are about ten curses in this film (ranging from d-words and h-words to a scarcely audible s-word). Lex Luthor's girlfriend wears VERY revealing clothing on more than one occasion which shows off quite a bit of cleavage. These scenes are fairly brief, but very noticeable. Lois Lane and Superman share a few veiled innuendos in one scene, but nothing I felt too uncomfortable with. Lois Lane asks Superman at one point what color her underwear are (he can see through anything, remember?) and he tells her that they are pink. Superman is shown completely nude from the front as a baby. Thankfully, grown-up Superman wears a jock-strap underneath his tights so that the suit is not as immodest as it could be. In one scene played for laughs, Lex Luthor's girlfriend lies out in the middle of the road as though she has fainted distracting some soldiers from their duty. In their attempts to "revive" her, one soldier sticks his head on her chest (mildly suggestive) and another volunteers to perform CPR (implied strongly, but not shown). The violence is handled well, but may be too intense for some younger viewers. For example: Lex Luthor pushes a man out in front of a fast-moving train. The death is not shown. However, the man screams loudly and the hat he was wearing is shown lying beaten up on the ground afterwards. SUMMARY: A nice classic film for most of the family. You might want to fast-forward the parts with Lex Luthor's girlfriend.
Parent Written byPlague May 14, 2010

Superman: The Movie

An instant classic, and a fabulous superhero movie for the whole family.
Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bystecro February 14, 2010

Great movie for the kids, but be advised of some language

We just watched superman with our 8 year old, and he enjoyed it very much, but there were some language references that we did not expect. Commonsensemedia is usually pretty thorough with the content descriptions, but in this case "Language: Not an issue" was not accurate for us. It is really mild stuff, but if you are worried about your children picking up phrases like "what the hell was that" or "who the hell was that" or "what the hell just happened", be advised these phrases are present. Overall, still a great experience for us and our young children.
Parent of a 11 year old Written byhomeschoolin February 9, 2011

Good movie, but some PG language! Wish Common Sense screening had been more dependable.

Warning!!! Language IS an issue!! I counted several (at least 4 times?) that "hell" was used as an expletive. Also, one d**n, and one a**. Not words I want my daughter repeating, although they are common in PG movies.
Kid, 7 years old August 26, 2013

Too scary for me

I am 8 and I got scared 2 times. But 1 time it was too scary!
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 21, 2012

superman the movie

Families can also talk about newer versions of the Superman story. And why do you think in the last century he fought for the "American way" and in this one he becomes more globally minded?
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2011

CLASSIC!!!

This movie is really great. It is a classic, or at least I consider it. There was a lot of language that little kids shouldn't say. Also, in the beggining of the movie, you saw superman as a kid, nude, showing EVERYTHING! That was really disgusting for me, but thats about. Anyway, must watch movie!
Kid, 11 years old February 26, 2011

Great movie

A great movie for kids. Some violence. But other than that, it has a great message to never give up. There is one scene where Superman's dad has a heart attack. Fabulous! Well, done!
Teen, 16 years old Written byanime_freak004 April 9, 2008
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 16, 2012

Awesome

The first ever superhero movie is great for all ages
Teen, 13 years old Written byHimasha December 15, 2013

Superman

This Is A Good Movie
Kid, 9 years old April 29, 2013

stinky suprerman

This movie is terrible the some characters in the movie are very mean and ruthless if you watch this movie it isn't worth it
Kid, 9 years old November 29, 2011

Read this

its just fine
Parent of a 5, 10, and 16 year old Written bySmartViewer January 23, 2009

You and the whole family will soar with fun!

Terrific, and original! Your kids will want to see the Superman movie, for sure. It is one that I would definitely recommend for even younger kids. There is very little language (if any) and the violence is nothing but fun and packed with excitement. There is a bit of sexual references, but nothing your kids cannot be subjected to. A movie I would recommend for everyone! I would rate this movie: PG.
Parent Written byMelissaJ 2 October 8, 2015

Superman...Super Movie!

The character of Superman first appeared in the Action Comic book in the 1930’s. The movie Superman, 1978 is the story of a young boy from a planet called Krypton who landed in a field and was found and adopted by a children less couple. He had great powers such as speed, strength and the ability to fly. The movie portrayed an awkward, nerdy news reporter who was secretly a super hero trying to woo a smart, confident fellow news reporter. The plot of the movie is a guy tries to get the girl while anonymously protecting good from evil by battling for “truth, justice and the American way.” I noticed several patterns emerge in the movie through the characters, symbolism and themes. The characters cast were believable and fit perfectly in the story. Clark was quirky, smart and kind with a strong sense of morals/values. Even though as Superman he was confident, handsome, and charming his sense of moral/values is still evident. Lois was an attractive, sarcastic, young women who was career driven and a hopeless romantic. Lex Luthor was arrogant, conniving and intelligent. Even Otis was cast perfectly as an overweight, tweed jacket wearing, and moronic comment making, Nincompoop. The symbolism is displayed through colors and music. The strong colors of red, blue and green represented key features the directed wanted the audience to pick up on. The music from the beginning set an “out of this world” theme and transitioned perfectly through the scenes. Chirping birds, rooster crowing equals new day, slow and dramatic, fast and exciting. There was even goofy music that played when Otis was, well…being Otis. The color red was very prominent as an important color through the entire movie. Young Clark Kent was seen wearing the color red at the beginning of the movie which later turned out to be the color of Superman’s cape. Red was also used to show the audience something was going to happen when it appeared. It was the color of lighting used during Krypton’s explosion, his parent’s truck, the tractor when his dad died, the helicopter, Miss Tessmaucher’s dress, and Lois’ car are all examples. The color green represented evil/criminals in the movie. Although kryptonite was an obvious evil, there were subtle incidences of green including: articles of clothing, money, Lex Luthor’s swimming pool, lighting around criminals/criminal acts. Even the prison yard spotlight that was shining on Lex Luthor and Otis was green. The theme of crime doesn’t pay and where good overcomes evil was shown in several scenes including: the purse thief in the alley, jewelry thief on side of the building and the ending where Superman foils Lex Luthor’s plan to use missiles to destroy California. I believe since there are so many different cultural aspects in this film, there is something for everyone across the high and low cultural spectrum. Science-fiction, love story, comedy, action, drama, suspense, are all covered in this film. I found that watching this movie as a child, as an adult and then as a critic were completely different experiences for me. As a child I remember being in awe of the special effects. Watching Superman use his powers to save good people from the bad guys and being sad at the part where Superman couldn’t save Lois were real feelings. As an adult, I enjoyed watching it with my children and understanding more of the plot, admiring how handsome Christopher Reeves was and how tragic his real life situation was. The special effects of Superman’s special powers were too unrealistic. However, even as an adult the thought of a hero saving people from harm still gave me a warm, fuzzy feeling. As a critic, I viewed the film through a technical scope. The special effects were actually quite remarkable given the technology at the time. I wondered how they pulled off the stunts/camera/scenes before they had CGI’s and other tools the film industry uses now. I appreciated things like the casting of the characters, sounds, music, and camera angles. Most importantly I noticed a deeper understanding of the theme. Overall, the theme that good triumphs evil, by a being truthful, caring, productive member of society is a wonderful concept!
Kid, 10 years old April 3, 2014

eh

I like Superman but Batman is better.
Teen, 13 years old Written bypie or pie March 29, 2012

THE MAN OF STEEEEEEL BABADBABDABDDB SUPERMAN DA DA DA DAAAAAAA

Well besides seeing a boys PENIS (disgusting) theres nothing wrong with the movie
Kid, 11 years old March 26, 2012

come on people, you can make a better superman movie!

come on, lois lane just ruined it for me, she's so lame! (spoiler) i mean, when she was in a helicopter she unbuckled her seatbelt and when her car was getting buried, she did nothing but sit in there and scream, not a good role model
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008