All member reviews for Superman: The Movie

Super-nostalgic superhero adventure still soars.

Adult Written byDr3w November 29, 2011

Great Film-Making

Well, I think there have been enough reviews of this movie from a quality perspective. However, I have yet to see a review that accurately described the bad content in this film, so I thought I might as well write a review. Superman is not an overly gratuitous film. It shows quite a bit of restraint as far as violence, language and sexual behaviour are concerned, but it is not squeaky clean. There are about ten curses in this film (ranging from d-words and h-words to a scarcely audible s-word). Lex Luthor's girlfriend wears VERY revealing clothing on more than one occasion which shows off quite a bit of cleavage. These scenes are fairly brief, but very noticeable. Lois Lane and Superman share a few veiled innuendos in one scene, but nothing I felt too uncomfortable with. Lois Lane asks Superman at one point what color her underwear are (he can see through anything, remember?) and he tells her that they are pink. Superman is shown completely nude from the front as a baby. Thankfully, grown-up Superman wears a jock-strap underneath his tights so that the suit is not as immodest as it could be. In one scene played for laughs, Lex Luthor's girlfriend lies out in the middle of the road as though she has fainted distracting some soldiers from their duty. In their attempts to "revive" her, one soldier sticks his head on her chest (mildly suggestive) and another volunteers to perform CPR (implied strongly, but not shown). The violence is handled well, but may be too intense for some younger viewers. For example: Lex Luthor pushes a man out in front of a fast-moving train. The death is not shown. However, the man screams loudly and the hat he was wearing is shown lying beaten up on the ground afterwards. SUMMARY: A nice classic film for most of the family. You might want to fast-forward the parts with Lex Luthor's girlfriend.
Parent Written byPlague May 14, 2010

Superman: The Movie

An instant classic, and a fabulous superhero movie for the whole family.

Parent of a 6 and 8 year old Written bystecro February 14, 2010

Great movie for the kids, but be advised of some language

We just watched superman with our 8 year old, and he enjoyed it very much, but there were some language references that we did not expect. Commonsensemedia is usually pretty thorough with the content descriptions, but in this case "Language: Not an issue" was not accurate for us. It is really mild stuff, but if you are worried about your children picking up phrases like "what the hell was that" or "who the hell was that" or "what the hell just happened", be advised these phrases are present. Overall, still a great experience for us and our young children.
Teen, 16 years old Written byanime_freak004 April 9, 2008

Parent of a 11 year old Written byhomeschoolin February 9, 2011

Good movie, but some PG language! Wish Common Sense screening had been more dependable.

Warning!!! Language IS an issue!! I counted several (at least 4 times?) that "hell" was used as an expletive. Also, one d**n, and one a**. Not words I want my daughter repeating, although they are common in PG movies.
Kid, 7 years old August 26, 2013

Too scary for me

I am 8 and I got scared 2 times. But 1 time it was too scary!
Kid, 12 years old July 17, 2011

CLASSIC!!!

This movie is really great. It is a classic, or at least I consider it. There was a lot of language that little kids shouldn't say. Also, in the beggining of the movie, you saw superman as a kid, nude, showing EVERYTHING! That was really disgusting for me, but thats about. Anyway, must watch movie!
Written byAnonymous January 14, 2013

An X/ NC-17 Sexual Part is shown in a PG Movie. Again Not for kids of any age.

Oh No a guys P-Bomb is Exposed. Not for kids at all. This movie should have had that covered before filming in the 1970's. Superman is suppose to be for kids. But this movie is not.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 July 21, 2012

superman the movie

Families can also talk about newer versions of the Superman story. And why do you think in the last century he fought for the "American way" and in this one he becomes more globally minded?
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 16, 2012

Awesome

The first ever superhero movie is great for all ages
Parent of a 5, 10, and 16 year old Written bySmartViewer January 23, 2009

You and the whole family will soar with fun!

Terrific, and original! Your kids will want to see the Superman movie, for sure. It is one that I would definitely recommend for even younger kids. There is very little language (if any) and the violence is nothing but fun and packed with excitement. There is a bit of sexual references, but nothing your kids cannot be subjected to. A movie I would recommend for everyone! I would rate this movie: PG.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTnMovieFan2 April 9, 2008

Teen, 14 years old Written byJimmy brew October 26, 2014

Childish boring first installment is long and violent

My rating: PG for mild violence,language,sensuality and smoking
Teen, 14 years old Written byThe movie dude May 17, 2014

superman at his best

Great fun.
Kid, 10 years old April 3, 2014

eh

I like Superman but Batman is better.
Teen, 13 years old Written byHimasha December 15, 2013

Superman

This Is A Good Movie
Teen, 13 years old Written byZoelopez August 10, 2013

Superman the hero in all of us

Superman is the best movie! Christopher Reeve is Superman! He's sweet, charming and he's perfect. He also does a funny Clark Kent. Odeus and Lex Luthor are hilarious. Louis Lane isn't a classic damsel in distress which gives it a modern take. Superman is so kind it makes kids want to be as kind. Superman is defiantly okay for kids. If anything I encourage it for kids. It inspires people to make the world a better place. Watch it. It never ages.
Kid, 9 years old April 29, 2013

stinky suprerman

This movie is terrible the some characters in the movie are very mean and ruthless if you watch this movie it isn't worth it
Kid, 9 years old September 22, 2012