All member reviews for Surf's Up

Kids will dive into penguin adventure, dude.

Adult Written byjenwen3 April 9, 2008

Iffy potty language, penguin unination...necessary???

Superb animation, cute story. Why must we have to muck it up with so much poop, pee talk and farts etc? The penguin urinating on the other penguins foot while the girl penguin stands by was a little much. Good movies really can stand on their own without so much attention to bodily functions.
Parent of a 12 year old Written byjslatte December 24, 2009

Really not worth the hassle.

This show had too many sexual inferences for my taste. In one scene, a penguin was practically drooling over these trophies that he had named after women, and his tone, the way he behaved, was a bit over the top. And a statement made while a male and female penguin were showering together was inappropriate for a children's movie.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byCaerleon April 29, 2014

One of our Favs

This has been one of our favorite family movies for years. It's not super scary. There are no guns and no chase scenes. And it has a great message. After discovering that Finding Nemo was way too scary for our particular five year old boy - this (along with the first Cars movie) was a welcome alternative to watch again and again and again.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOldBob13 April 10, 2010

A superb (and utterly breathtaking) animated movie

When I was going to see Surf's Up for the first time, I didn't have high expectations. After watching the entire 88 minutes, I came out pleasantly suprised. Surf's Up is a fun animated comedy with heart, wit, and charm. The CGI is amazing, and kids (and parents) won't be disappointed by its engaging story. After seeing Ratatouille, Surf's Up rose my expectations on movies rivaling Pixar, as this was probably better than the former. Parents should keep in mind that there is a bit of language for a family-animated comedy. And some scenes are startling for younger kids.
Teen, 17 years old Written bynduns April 9, 2008

Beyond expectations!

Honestly, the premise of this movie had me avoiding it for months! I was so sure it would suck because of the idea of penguins surfing, then when my best friend in the whole world recommended it, I had to give it a shot, and it was WAY BETTER than I had anticipated. Yeah, it's cliched, unoriginal and not really a family movie, but it is just so funny and kept me laughing all the way through. I highly recommend this, ignore the neigh-sayers.
Teen, 16 years old Written byTordles January 27, 2015

One of my favourite movies

This movie is a great mixture of humour, positive messages, lovable characterization and stunning animation. I expected it to be a cliche, B-movie sort of thing, but it honestly blew my expectations out of the water. (Spoilers ahead, by the way) You might think this is the typical "underdog wins the competition" sort of thing, but the unexpected twist ending really makes the movie that much more unique. The main message of the movie is, IMO, really inspirational and not super cliche, either.
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2014

Awesome and funny. Shia Labeouf and Jeff Bridges were great in their roles.
Kid, 12 years old May 17, 2014

The best

NOW THAT'S WHAT YOU CALL £7.50 WORTH
Kid, 12 years old April 16, 2014

WOW

I love this movie; Reggie Belafonte is my new favorite cartoon charachter
Parent Written bydanharvell March 22, 2013

A Fun Film Full of Positive Penguins

The movie is a creatively written and performed pseudo-documentary on a surfing penguin. The characters are all very strong and well-written. What makes this movie really excellent, though, is that the main characters are all extremely positive role models. Of course, every film needs an antagonist, but it is very clear that this film's antagonist is NOT a role model. The beautiful thing is, the main character learns a valuable lesson, while competing with the film's antagonist. While the movie does have a lot of so-called "potty humor", unless you bubble-wrap your children, they have heard MUCH worse, at school - regardless their age. The only really questionable line is when the lead character calls the antagonist a "p****r head". In this case, I'm sure that refers to the fact that the antagonist is also a penguin, therefore has a beak, but the double-meaning is very clear. There also seems to be a huge misunderstanding with a certain line that many have, somehow, interpreted as "go cut yourself". This is certainly NOT said, in the movie. The line that is referenced involves the male and female lead characters grabbing large leafs. The male lead asks, "What is this for?" The female replies, "You don't want to cut yourself, do you?". Then, they proceed to slide down a roller coaster-like, underground tunnel system, using the leafs as a sort of sled, protecting them from being cut on the rocks on which they are sliding. That said, do not listen to those who claim that the line "go cut yourself" is present. Those who claim that line is present, in the movie, obviously did not give the movie their full attention. Over all, a very funny and well-written movie, in which some really huge life lessons can be learned. I highly recommend it!
Educator and Parent Written byhybs January 16, 2013

Better than Happy Feet

This was a much more engaging movie for our family than Happy Feet (which my children thought bizarre at times and not in a mind-opening Miyazaki way). It is a really fun homage to surfing movies and x-games interviews, etc. Yes, the style is very different than your typical linear plot kids movie. Why not try something different? The plot/message itself without the documentary twist is Karate Kid "believe in yourself" "work hard" "go after your dreams". Some language is a bit crude. But I find a few mildly rude words less offensive than the high level of violence in many kids' movies. Surfing penguins? AWESOME, dude! P.S. And as for the peeing on the penguins foot, that really is the most expedient solution to a sea urchin injury.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus November 30, 2012

I'd pass.

This movie had a few things going for it; it was very funny, had great voice actors, and good messages. But that's about it. I didn't like the characters, the story was not very interesting, and the idea of having it filmed using a camera crew kind of like a news cast (sorry, it's kind of hard to explain) was a good idea, but it just didn't work. Kids would most likely find it entertaining, but anyone older than 12 or 13, probably not.
Teen, 13 years old Written byShadowofchaos41 February 8, 2012

It was good

There is one scene where Cody is in the shower with the female penguin
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 4, 2012

Hilarious

Hilarious film great for kids.
Parent Written byAmeliaK July 23, 2011

Fun summer movie

Teen, 16 years old Written byAshinthehouse July 20, 2011

good for little kids

o my god where to start with this movie it was pretty crappy, but its not that bad it had good parts, but the only problem really is a little bit of language nothing too bad typical of a pg,and some sexaul stuff between the main characher and a love interset, and some mild vilogence with surfing accidents otherwise im sure your little kids will love this movie
Parent Written byhockeymom12 June 18, 2011

Disappointed

I did not like this movie at all. I didn't like the sexual content in this, nor the whole "go cut yourself".
Kid, 12 years old August 15, 2010

Of the mish mash of penguin films, this is easily the best

This movie blows that really boring penguin film, Happy Feet, off the stage. With likable characters and a plot you actually care about, it succeeds on an emotional level, as well as having lots of laughs. The animation is good and the soundtrack is solid. Rent this and steer clear of Happy Feet.
Teen, 14 years old Written byicedragon236 May 25, 2010

love this movie! perfect, funny, the best penquin movie ever
Kid, 8 years old April 9, 2010

jeff bridges has a cool that's the same for the movie