Parent reviews for Tangled

Fantastic princess adventure is fun, with great messages.

Parent of a 7 year old Written byAiko in WA December 20, 2010

Craddle-robbing thief a good role model? Maybe ok

I had hoped it would be great but it was only good. I like how Rapunzel truly debates her choice and then empowers herself to go. I supposed it is good to show kids that have selfish or otherwise bad parents that they are not alone and it is normal to love to your parents anyway. I thought it a little creepy that an obviously older adult male gets together romantically with an almost jailbait teenager girl. Because of her naivete (sp?), he ends up being more of a father figure/protector than a truly compatible love match. Of course she fell in love with the first good-looking man she ever met, even though he is a double-crossing thief - she could do better! I think the movie would have been fine with a deep friendship - platonic relationships CAN actually exist. And while Rapunzel does get Flint to question his way of life (burgulary) a little, he is still a thief longing for money and fame - nothing more. That he turns good in the end only shows him to be not-heartless. Yes - burgulars can be nice people too.

Parent Written byWendy C. December 28, 2017

Important message about Emotional Abuse - Cannot go unwatched!

Ignore all the negative messages out here - they don't seem to understand the moral at the centre of the story. Alot of kids are out there and are suffering emotional abuse, and the relationship between Rapunzel and her mother, as many had picked on, is highly emotionally manipulative. In this movie Rapunzel successfully stands up to her mother and gets out of that situation. This movie is a much needed message to anyone, emotionally abused people or not, because from this we can help kids easily identify what emotional abuse is and that it can come from anyone. Many parents out here would say watching emotional abuse is too serious for children - well, emotional abuse happening to children is far more serious. P.S. I'd say the violence is pretty minimal - there is a sight of blood and somebody dies (but is brought back to life) otherwise it is fine. If your kid will feel traumatised by even seeing blood then this movie is not for you.

Adult Written bygym02 March 9, 2012

tangled reveiw

its awesome and its the tiny bit violent but thats only at the end kind of

Parent of a 2, 4, and 4 year old Written byprks72 January 16, 2011

great family flick

So well done with great animals with big personalities without the talking. A huge plus. Great honest emotion the whole family can experience together. Girl saves boy for once!

Adult Written byUpstateNYMom December 13, 2010
I was surprised by how good this movie was. I took my 8 yr old, who loved it, but left the 5 year old at home. It was *definitely* too scary for the younger child. The (fake) mother is seriously creepy and menacing and there are quite a number of scenes where the main characters are in peril. It was scary on a lot of levels-- a baby stolen in the night, a stabbing, a near drowning, lots of chasing and shooting, scary characters in a pub (who turn friendly), and a mother who claims to love her daughter, but is really just using her. The mother character stole the daughter and then tries to undermine her confidence under the guise of protecting her. Seriously creepy! If your child is old enough for the violence, it has many nice qualities. It is funny, action-packed, and Rapunzel is gutsy and interesting and both characters at the end exhibit a willingness to sacrifice for love that is admirable and moving. It was a romance with more redeeming qualities and stronger and more interesting characters than I typically expect from Disney.

Adult Written byFamilyofSix December 4, 2010

Lots of good clean fun

Really good. We took a group of six 7-yr to 9-yr old girls and they were laughing out loud. My wife and I enjoyed it too. Good clean fun.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bykkg0909 November 29, 2010
I loved this movie. My husband and I took our 4-year-old daughter to see it in 3D and the whole family had a great time. My daughter was laughing out loud at many parts. And it was made to be seen in 3D! There was one part that involved a lantern floating in the sky that my daughter was positively amazed at. She kept saying that it was "right in front of her!" and that she could have touched it if she wanted to. It was such a great experience seeing her so in awe. There were some things that I would caution other parents about though. One is the scene at the Cuddly Duck bar. I really think I heard the word "sadistic" in that song and I'm not sure that I'm happy about it. I don't think I should have to be explaining what that word means to my 4-year-old after seeing a Disney movie. But maybe that's just me. Another scene that I thought was a little over-the-top scary was the final scene with Gothel. It was vivid, realistic and down-right disturbing how she meets her end. Same thing with the stabbing that occurs during that scene. I would like to say though that I think these scenes are less scary than the voodoo magic of The Princess and the Frog. Those scenes I still won't let my daughter watch (she covers her eyes too) but she saw Tangled in its entirety and really wasn't overly bothered by it. Also, let's face it, reading the traditional story of Rapunzel is disturbing too. One version I read had the prince's eyes poked out by thorns. So, I really don't know which is worse. I loved how selfless both Rapunzel and Flynn are at the end, each willing to give up her/his life or happiness for the well being of the other. Great stuff there. Overall, I would say that this is a wonderful movie. I liked Rapunzel as a character and am so glad since all the Rapunzel Christmas gifts were purchased before I even saw the movie. I liked the story and thought they did a nice job with it. This is my new favorite Disney Princess movie. And I don't say that lightly. Hope this helps.

Parent of a 5 and 5 year old Written byekellison November 26, 2010

Great movie, with some scary depictions of evil fake mother

Tangled is a great telling of the Rapunzel tale. Music is good, writing is very funny, characters are not overly threatening, with the exception of the Rapunzel's "mother," Gothel. I was uncomfortable with the depiction of the evil, fakester mother, as were my 5 year old twins (daughter especially). She was depicted as especially sinister and duplicitous, and I thought the movie overdid the depiction. My daughter had to leave the theater a couple of times during particularly threatening scenes with her. So I would say probably most appropriate for 6+, although both kids said they loved it when we came out of it. [And I enjoyed it very much!]

Parent of a 3 year old Written byMelissa M. September 27, 2017

Fun for adults too and lots of positive, girl-power messaging

As some of the other reviewers stated, the Mother Gothel character is definitely evil in a way that kids can't understand.... emphasis on *can't understand*. My almost 4 year old doesn't stop to think about Gothel's motivation, etc- she calls her the mean mommy and moves on. I loved the Rapunzel story as a child and was oblivious to its darker side (until adulthood) and the evil parts of the story aren't really Disney's doing as much as the Brothers Grimm. Fairy tales are dark, but this one manages to be a lot of fun, and my husband and I are on at least the 20th viewing and still laugh out loud at parts. It's fun, it has a strong female lead, and it gives parents several opportunities to discuss how looks can be deceiving and it's what's inside that counts. Definitely watch it with your child the first couple of times, but mine (who finds Beauty and the Beast very scary) absolutely loves this one.

Parent Written byBecky L. August 7, 2017

One of our favorites

Written byAnonymous October 1, 2016

Enjoyable for Special Needs

The Best Disney Princess movie ever!Only some scenes might shock/sadden special needs (illnesses/ingurys/loss etc) but really,really good.(There are lots of non- speaking characters!)

Adult Written byJenPete April 2, 2011

Murder, kidnapping and outright rebellion - not really for the young set.

Well, I used to turn to Common Sense Media for age reviews. At least there's still the descriptive stuff, but on Tangled, you missed some details. Flynn doesnt' APPEAR dead. He IS murdered. Only a magical tear brings him back to life. So, yeah, other than the kidnapping, outright rebellion, violence and murder, sure, this is a fun kid movie.

Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bypaularae April 1, 2011

Good for most kids, but idea of kidnapping might scare some.

Younger kids might get a little freaked out about the kidnapping theme. It isn't that scary in the film, but I could tell from my son's conversations the next day that the idea that a kid could be stolen from her parents hit a nerve.
Parent of a 6, 11, 13, 15, and 16 year old Written bycynthiatoress March 23, 2011
hate it bad for kids when seen. thrust me!

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Privacy & safety
Parent of a 5, 7, and 10 year old Written bybchicmomma November 24, 2010

Truly a movie that the whole family would like

We really loved this movie! Beautiful images, good music and it has a good mix of silly and action-- although with 3D-- m y kids like it when they can "touch" more things in a 3D flick. There is a great message for girls--empowering them to do the same and more than boys-- being able to handle whatever situations may come up. There is a good message about doing the right thing from some unlikely sources. We all loved the "Don't you have a dream?" characters, song and scenes. I usually cringe when well-known stories are tampered with but this interpretation doesn't change the story in any annoying way. (For example, it does NOT ruin something in the classic story. I hated that the Shrek movies ruined the idea of the Fairy Godmother--although I love the Shrek movies-- and this movie did not mess anything up in the the way that Shrek did with the Fairy Godmother.)

Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byJulia P. January 20, 2018

Ver negative for littles

I watched this movie with my 6 year old. We chose it from the Common Sense Media's list of movies for smart girls. My daughter thought a lot of it was scary but liked the female protagonist and the glossy animation. I found the movie disturbing on a few levels. I found it very violent with violence too close to reality (showing gallows, that the main character might be executed, that he is stabbed and almost dies, and the supporting ruffians looked too real) and the mother/daughter (mother who was really a witch) story line was quite over the head of my child. The mean twisted manipulative things that the witch said in her role as a verbally/psychologically abusive and controlling mother would have been better understood by girls 9+, at 6 my daughter didn't know what to make of all of the saracasm and manipulative dialogue. The reunion with Rapunzels real mother was really short. If this movie is about mothers and daughters then surely the real mother in the end could have some lines. There was also little comedy and little singing, which we were really waiting for to offset the meanness of the film. Also didn't appreciate the supporting characters who had had too much to drink. I wish I had skipped this one and chosen a different movie for my daughter.

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byHendo H. U December 27, 2017

Parent of a 4 year old Written byWes O. August 8, 2017

Inappropriate age recommendation

This was a great movie with wonderful animation and a terrific plot, but was way inappropriate for my 5 year old. She broke out into tears a few times because the very adult situations that the movie presents. The "mother" is actually a kidnapper that steals her "daughter" and only raises her to hoard her magic. The daughter escapes and meets her true love who the mother subsequently stabs and kills when he tries to rescue her. This was a huge miss on age recommendation in my opinion.
Adult Written byAutumn L. July 19, 2017
Parent of a 5 and 9 year old Written bysjjess July 3, 2016

Great for older kids, not for younger ones

This movie is certainly terrific fun and has very likable main characters. I do not think the main review here described adequately, however, the extent of the violence in the movie. Not only is the action very intense, but the bad guys are very menacing and a lot of actual violence occurs. And knives are not just "wielded." My 6-year-old burst into tears when one of the heroes is actually stabbed by one of the bad guys, which you see, wound and all. It was very surprising when that happened in a movie rated for 5-year-olds. Just be aware.