Parent reviews for Tangled

Fantastic princess adventure is fun, with great messages.

Adult Written byDanny21 February 26, 2016

Suitable for children.

Adult Written byMidnighthaze94 February 24, 2016

Great Modern Disney Princess Movie, Much Better Than Frozen

I can't believe all the parents freaking out over how "bad" the bad guys are in animated children's movies. While I do agree that it's pretty horrible how Rapunzel is kidnapped, manipulated and brainwashed by Mother Gothel, parents still need to realize that kids do not think of it on that level at all. If you just sit and watch the movie with them, you can clarify that Mother Gothel is the bad person who stole Rapunzel from her real parents for her magic hair. She also lies to Rapunzel so that Rapunzel won't ever leave when she gets older. You can also point out that the bad guy never wins, because in the end, Rapunzel does in fact win her freedom, after Mother Gothel is defeated. Rapunzel is portrayed as more of a relatable princess with her quirks, clumsiness, and akwardness. She also shows great independence despite her circumstances, and bravery. :) I would also say that it would be good to point out that Flynn is a bad guy at first too, but he learns from his mistakes, and by the end nearly sacrifices his life for Rapunzel. He is a good example of people who have made bad choices in their life changing for the better. The only scene potentially frightening for younger children is the scene of Mother Gothel's death at the end, but kids 3 and up should be fine with parental guidance. :)

Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015

Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byNLHolly August 4, 2015

Good movie - But NOT for young kids

I rarely disagree with the CSM review, but in this case I think it's grievously inaccurate. This is an excellent dark and twisty movie, with lots of fun as well as catchy music and compelling characters - that was perfectly assessed when given a PG rating. Why CSM thinks it is appropriate for a 5 year old, in spite of a careful MPAA designation, is a mystery. Multiple aspects of the story are too complicated for younger children - kidnapping, the creepy witch, the false "I love you" from wicked stepmother to child, the passive-aggressive interactions with near-warmth and barbed hurt dished out by Mother Gothel. All of these are simply scary and confusing to younger children, and in no way appropriate for children who don't grasp these social nuances yet.
Adult Written byFrozen18 July 1, 2015

Great Family Movie!

Rapunzel is such an positive girl. She falls in love with Flynn Rider/Eugene and together they go on a quest of self-discovery. It is a great movie to watch with family!

Educator and Parent of a 4 year old Written byKrisW 1 June 18, 2015

Action star!

I adore TANGLED - I love that Rapunzel is smart and creative, and she is incredibly brave! She does lots of saving of Flynn, and is super adaptable. The songs are great and the film itself is beautiful to look at. I love that she does everything Flynn does and is an action hero herself.

Positive messages
Parent of a 1, 4, 8, 10, 13, 14, 14, and 17 year old Written byparentof7 February 26, 2015
Parent of a 2 year old Written byjinx-wolf March 21, 2014

Drinking, drugs & smoking
Educator and Parent Written byJclaraw March 20, 2014

A grain of Salt

I have read many reviews of parents concerned about the violence and themes in this movie, particularly as concerns the stabbing scene and the abduction. I remain a little flabbergasted. First of all, the objection to the stabbing as inappropriate for children seems a little out of left field, have none of them seen Beauty and the Beast or Little Mermaid? In Beauty and the beast, at the end of the fight with Gaston, right after Gaston stabs the beast in the side (and falls off the tower of the castle screaming I might point out, rather like mother Gothel at the end of this movie) you can clearly see a would that has blood dripping from it. I can not in any meaningful way characterize this stabbing/fall to her death scene as any more bloody or violent than that of Beauty and the beast. Ursula gets clearly stabbed through the stomach with the prow of a boat, in Lion King we see a beloved character (not just the villain) fall to his death into a stampede which let us not forget the villain manages to twist into the son's fault. I could certainly come up with more comparisons, but my point is that the level of violence hardy rises above that of other Disney movies, so make your own judgement from there. As for the abduction, there may before cause for concern, but it would certainly be very, very hard to depict the story or Rapunzel without an abduction. It's the nature of the story: girl locked in a tower for years by an evil witch.... it certainly wasn't voluntary. Did they think it was going to be about a happily adopted girl who selfishly ran away with a prince? Rapunzel's story always had the "twisted love" of a mother and imprisonment. Lastly, to the parents commenting that it teaches your children to rebel. I actually strongly disagree with that. The movie actually does a VERY nice job depicting Rapunzel's inner conflict between not wanting to go, because going would mean disobeying and hurting her mother, versus her desire to just ONCE live her dreams. And she frequently shows guilt and remorse despite the fact that she has been locked up her whole life by an evil witch, the very person she is "betraying". Her intention was always to come back to her life of captivity as well. Essentially, I do not feel this movie is any more graphic in its depiction of violence than many other Disney movies. And the grief of the King and Queen in response to the loss of their child I find neither disturbing or dark. Certainly many familys are torn apart by less, I find the quiet strength and continued hope shown by the king and queen together in the face of an unimaginable grief to be an excellent message for children of a true parent's love and as a general role model. One last thing, mother hither is hardly the fist beautiful villain. Let us remember the Evil queen from Snow White (supposed to be the second most beautiful woman in the land), Maleficient from Sleeping Beauty is hardly ugly, and Gaston from is the most handsome man in town!

Parent Written bycourtwork April 6, 2013

Great for adults and older kids, not for the little guys

Ahhhhh Disney. I think this movie is accurately rated PG, and I disagree entirely with Common Sense Media's opinion that it is on for ages 5 and up. I do think this is a great movie for older kids and adults. The plot is engaging and the animation is wonderful. I feel like Pixar and DreamWorks do a better job of making movies for small children than Disney. I think Disney has pretty much given over to an older population, going for the "up the ante" in their films, making them darker, scarier, more twisted, older themes, etc. Both Tangled and Brave are good examples of this. I think people expect Disney films to be for small kids, but they really are not. The themes in Tangled are unnecessarily complex and disturbing for children under 8, possibly 9, in my opinion. A woman kidnaps the princess and pretends to be her mother, while locking her in a tower so she (the kidnapper) can remain young forever by using the princess's magic. There are many scenes in which the kidnapper is manipulating the princess in very insidious ways and seriously messing with her head. The princess is very conflicted about violating the sick love of her "mother" when her instincts tell her to go against her. When imagining this film for 5 year olds, I agree with an earlier poster who titled his or her post "Twisted." I watched this with my nine year old son, and he even found it a little disturbing and asked me later, "how do I know if you are my real mom?" At nine, he has the concrete thinking and ability to reason and understand the movie. I just don't see any reason to subject small kids to this kind of distressing, worrisome, unsettling "entertainment." There are so many other movies out there that are better suited for small kids. For myself, I found the movie very enjoyable, and my 9 year old enjoyed it too. I would not recommend it for 5 year olds, or even 7 year olds. Maybe 8 year olds and up, depending on your kid. In summary, for older kids and adults, I think it's a very entertaining film, and I recommend it.
Educator and Parent Written byschoolpsychmama February 1, 2013

Not for Age Five! They got this one wrong :(

Not appropriate for young kids. Way too much violence, peril, dark/creepy elements, and an evil and psychologically demented mother figure. It's a fun flick for the older ones- but as a school psychologist and parent of three, I strongly caution you from showing this to anyone five years old (The recommended age!) Even my eight year old son said he found it pretty scary.

Parent Written byMomma L July 14, 2012

Worth It!

Just enough of everything you need in a Disney movie - now if they could do one like this for the boys... that would be perfect!

Adult Written byDissy July 4, 2012

A great addition

Definitely one of my favorite from Disney, it's nice that the characters for a change had a bit more personality than most Disney films. Rapunzel is most certainly not the average damsel in distress, she's strong and very capable of defending/looking after herself (Even if she did just run off with a boy she had met only moments before hand to the city for a bit of an apparent shopping spree) but being 19 myself i did find that very amusing. It's a typical teenage thing. Flynn/Eugene is not the typical "Prince Charming", he most certainly had the looks but his cocky attitude, stubborn ways and sense of humor definitely sends him straight to the top of the Disney male character list. I even went and brought the DVD purely so i could rewatch him! The fact the story revolves around an evil "adoptive mother" who kidnaps the child at a young age places the film on the sinister side of things however i watched this with my younger brother and sister (12 & 7) and that didn't seem to bother them at all. In fact they were laughing throughout. One of the things this film must be applauded for is how it appeals to both girls and boys and lets be honest... Flynn really is just eye candy for the moms.

Parent of a 2 and 7 year old Written bySuper Mommy 1980 June 28, 2012

Tangled

This is by far one of the best Disney Princess movie I have ever seen!!! Rapunzel was a great role model and it did promote positive messages while giving a good, clean laugh. Two thumbs up (I need more thumbs)!

Parent Written byswolman June 27, 2012

Mother Gothel can be scarey

I have 5 yo triplets. It is a little scarey for those more sensitive types. Otherwise, action, adventure and romance for a princess with beautiful hair. If you are trying to avoid the princess/Barbie thing, this won't help. But if you have given up and want to instill a sense of independence being good.. then good. But wait till 6, Mother Gothel is a little too scarey for real young ones.
Parent Written byMJMom4 May 30, 2012

Wrong Focus

Unfortunately the pervasive EVIL that infiltrates this film makes it disappointing, scary and even disturbing amidst the fun, clever, sweet, cuteness that is also interwoven. I wish film makers would understand that most parents and their children would be satisfied with a good clean non-violent story that puts more focus on the integrity and heroism of noble characters than the evil villains. Entertaining but so scary that we fast forwarded many parts per the kids' requests.

Adult Written byJEDI micah May 16, 2012

All tangled up in a good movie!

I recommend this movie to all girls who love movies about princesses and fairy tales! This is one of Disney's greatest movies! But parents, the movie is rated PG because of some violence, not to mention even one character getting stabbed in the knife! It probably should be a good idea for you to watch it first with your kids. Other than that, this is a great movie for the whole family!

Parent of a 1 and 9 year old Written bySteffauri516 March 12, 2012

Wonderful movie, with some scary parts~

As said in my title, a wonderful movie! Honestly, I don't tend to gravitate towards 3D animation, I much prefer hand-drawn styles from the old Disney films. I went in thinking that this movie would be cute, but long to sit through as a parent of two young children. To my great surprise, I was wrong. The movie was colorful, vibrant, engaging and entertaining, with good role models and positive messages. I took my daughter, who was 7 at the time to see it and she loved it! However, the part where Gothel stabs Flynn was a little too edgy for a movie aimed towards little kids, but I was relieved that it wasn't a gorey scene. Also when Gothel tumbles out of the tower to her death. All in all, a good story, a beautiful movie, but just watch out for some of the scarier parts if you have young children.

Parent Written byRobbyWBoy16 January 3, 2012

Tangled

good hair-of-a-tale fun for the family!

Adult Written bypamomof4 December 29, 2011

Loved it!

May be our favorite Disney movie of all time! Great music, great story, great animation, funny, great character development. Did I say this was great?