All member reviews for Tarzan

Kids will be drawn to Disney's fast-paced version.

Teen, 14 years old Written byOGORMAN May 21, 2010

A good movie for kids of basically all ages.

Disney never ceases to make cute, kid-friendly movies that the whole family will love! Guns are fired, and a man smokes cigars and drinks a glass of wine and offers it to Tarzan, but otherwise this movie has a very positive message. Tarzan learns that just because you look different than someone else, it doesn't mean that you are any less important; and that you should always fight for what you believe in and for the ones you love. I grew up with this movie, and I still love it! Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Decent Kids movie

Tarzan is good for older kids, but I felt it inappropriate for my 5 year old. Too many questions that should wait.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday October 2, 2010

There's never a dull moment

One of the most amazing movies I've ever seen! The animation is beautiful, the characters are sweet, its funny, over all brilliant! Tarzan is strong and caring, Jane is funny and loveable, her father is just goofy (in a good way) Kala (Tarzan's gorilla mother) is understanding and forgiving. Kerckek is... well, get over his temper tantrums and you'll love him. Claiton, or as Tarzan knows him "the sound of a gun-shot" well, he's a villan, we aren't suppose to like him, but he's a good villan. Terk, hysterical, Tantor, a worry-wart, but so fun. Anyway.. you can't really hate any of them, they're all amazing characters! As far as gore goes: baby gorilla dies (ends with crying in pain off screen) parents bodies half hidden, bloody paw-prints, killed lepard, hanging death. You'll get over that when you see how amazing the movie is. I loved this sinse I was little, and when Kala tells Tarzan they look differen't, but we're all the same, and they just don't trust what they can't explain, that is such a sweet scene. Also, as far as alcahol goes, Clintain gives Tarzan a small glass of wine when they were talking, but Tarzan got rid of it without tasting it (That a'boy!)
Teen, 13 years old Written byHotaru Chan July 9, 2010

A good movie for pretty much everyone

I remember watching this when I was really little. I didn't really understand that well when the baby gorrilla was killed and Tarzan's parents are found dead. When I got a little older, I thought the scene near the end with the main villain being killed was a little chilling. Other than that, I thoguth it was a great movie. If your kid is the type to be scared easily at movies with violence, then I would hold off.
Teen, 13 years old Written byNoseStuckInABook April 15, 2010

I love it...now that I'm older.

When I saw this for the first time, when I was four or so, it terrified me. The villain is a hunter, which is terrifying for younger animal lovers. The violence may also be a bit much. But, this is a great movie with stunning animation.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 September 11, 2010

Another great Disney Classic

Tarzan is a story about Tarzan, whose parents were killed by a leopard when he was a baby. Kala, an ape, finds Tarzan and adopts him; the baby reminds her of her child who was killed by the same leopard who killed Tarzan's parents. Tarzan grows up living with the apes, but he feels so different as if he doesn't belong with them because of his appearance (and Kertack, Kala's husband, doesn't like Tarzan because he is different). But Tarzan gets a surpass when he saves a beautiful girl named Jane, and starts finding out about his own kind (and as in typical Disney films, falls in love with the girl). This is a typical Disney classic, which means that it's really good! But it may be too violent for some kids. There ate a couple of fighting scenes that could be scary. Otherwise it's a great family film.
Adult Written bydaveteds April 9, 2008

Very Violent for young chikdren

Horribly violent for a G rated cartoon! We didn't even finish watching the monkey killing with our 6 year old! Never been so appalled in my life!
Teen, 13 years old Written byGloryGirl April 2, 2010

I'll swing by that forest - seems better than the mordern world now.

I think people need to relax on this movie, it was wonderful! I think it was funny, touching, interesting, adventures. a Total Disney film :) I know, I know, Tarzan had a loin cloth on, he's wearing SOMETHING, ain't he? Yes, yes he is! Besides, it isn't like people don't know what a male looks like - if they don't they will. By the way, the song "You'll be in my heart" - was played at my brothers funeral. Just letting you know what it means to me. Don't be a hater, okay? If you do not like it, fine. Just don't insult those that do. ( not saying anyone does )
Adult Written bynduns February 24, 2010

Durrrr, this movie suck cuz it's realistic! DURRRRR!!!!

Are you people for real? Okay, it is a little intense even for a Disney movie, but really, why is that always a deciding factor for final scores here? Okay, parents, maybe for once you should, I dunno, try accepting/ignoring the realism of a film and just enjoy it, don't base your score off of what your kids think/what you believe they think and just see it through your eyes. Is it well written? Yep. Does it have a great plot? Mmhm. Are the characters interesting? Well, some of the supporting characters aren't that funny, but most of them are indeed interesting. Does it have a touching ending and a good moral? Yes! That's all that should matter when you rate a movie, not whether it's "appropriate for da childrenz" or not. Although granted this is a family film, but try to remember family movies are made just as much for adults as they are for kids. It's what separates the family MOVIES from the family SHOWS. I also find it funny how, despite more positive reviews, the overall score is for each section is incredibly low. How does that work?
Parent of a 5, 7, and 9 year old Written byKingscion June 29, 2009

A great fasamily film

The violence in this movie was very necessary for the making. I loved the part where the guy was hanged by the vines. I think that any kid who watches this can learn about death and that it really does happen. They don't have to be censored from these things because it's very educational and proper for growing minds. This was a great movie and most importantly, a classic.
Teen, 13 years old Written byschuymarch1 April 9, 2008

Wonderful Movie:

This movie is awesome!

hi

this is a great movie!
Parent of an infant and 5 year old Written bygemmadee November 22, 2009

I liked the movie alot, and as an adoptive parent, appreciate the message that adoptive families are as good as biological ones. But my 5 year old never got past the first chase scene. She sobbed in terror at the first sight of the killer cat and we had to turn it off.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNorthernNights June 6, 2010

I thought it was amazing

I truely liked it, although I am sure people are worried about the violence and stuff. I admit it is a little rough for children, they should have avoided at least some of it, but its a hard world.. it shouldn't have to be, but it is. The violence isn't enough to harm some children, sensitive ones, yes. But there has been worse. I was never affected by any of it, although the hanging scared me, at least they didn't show it... When will the madness end? ( That wasn't for the movie, that is for everything else.. )
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bymom and teacher April 8, 2010

Way too violent for little kids; better wait.

Tarzan's parents are killed by a leopard right at the beginning of the film. The baby is taken from his home by a gorilla, who then has to fight off the leopard. Tarzan is treated with hostility by the head gorilla. The hunters are shooting guns at animals and people. Finally, the bad guy hunter is hanged from some jungle vines at the end of a big fight. My four-and-a-half-year old was really upset about the baby Tarzan being taken out of his home by the gorilla, and he kept asking questions about the mom and dad were. It was pretty upsetting.
Adult Written bycbholley14 April 9, 2008

Totally un-necessary violence!

I was completely offended by the violence in this movie! Not only does it start off with a baby gorilla being eaten by a predator (the camera is on the mommy gorilla while the baby screams), but there is also a hut full of bloody footprints when she later finds the baby Tarzan. What really did it for me though, was the death of the "bad guy" who is hanged by vines after fighting with Tarzan. Although you don't see the actual death, there is a very convienent lightning flash where you see the shadow of him hanging by the neck. Disney should be ashamed.
Kid, 9 years old November 19, 2009

Great g-rated movie ruined with strong animated violence

very awesome movie!!!This movie should have been rated PG or maybe even PG-13 because of two death scenes, on when tigers kill humans and when man kills gorilla.Barley any blood but still,Disney, take out the very strong violence scenes
Kid, 12 years old November 29, 2009

very vilont for a G rated but still good

the movie was funny and fun to watch. But the vilonce..... To much of it! i think there was way to much shooting, killing, and briefly scary images to make it a G rated i would have rated it PG.
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicKevinMan February 11, 2012

Much more intense then most Disney animated movies

Pretty violent, escpecially when there are bloody tiger footpritnts wher Tarzan's parents were (offscreen) killed.And an offscreen death of a baby gorillia. Off 2-4 iffy 6-7 on 8+. My rating PG for Violence and Peril, and Thematic Elements.
Teen, 16 years old Written bytwinkle1234 February 28, 2012

curiousity

i just have a question the movie review says tarzans parents lifeless bodies were seen with footprints but i only see the dads lifeless body, wheres the moms body?