Kids will be drawn to Disney's fast-paced version.

Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Decent Kids movie

Tarzan is good for older kids, but I felt it inappropriate for my 5 year old. Too many questions that should wait.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bymom and teacher April 8, 2010

Way too violent for little kids; better wait.

Tarzan's parents are killed by a leopard right at the beginning of the film. The baby is taken from his home by a gorilla, who then has to fight off the leopard. Tarzan is treated with hostility by the head gorilla. The hunters are shooting guns at animals and people. Finally, the bad guy hunter is hanged from some jungle vines at the end of a big fight. My four-and-a-half-year old was really upset about the baby Tarzan being taken out of his home by the gorilla, and he kept asking questions about the mom and dad were. It was pretty upsetting.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday October 2, 2010

There's never a dull moment

One of the most amazing movies I've ever seen! The animation is beautiful, the characters are sweet, its funny, over all brilliant! Tarzan is strong and caring, Jane is funny and loveable, her father is just goofy (in a good way) Kala (Tarzan's gorilla mother) is understanding and forgiving. Kerckek is... well, get over his temper tantrums and you'll love him. Claiton, or as Tarzan knows him "the sound of a gun-shot" well, he's a villan, we aren't suppose to like him, but he's a good villan. Terk, hysterical, Tantor, a worry-wart, but so fun. Anyway.. you can't really hate any of them, they're all amazing characters! As far as gore goes: baby gorilla dies (ends with crying in pain off screen) parents bodies half hidden, bloody paw-prints, killed lepard, hanging death. You'll get over that when you see how amazing the movie is. I loved this sinse I was little, and when Kala tells Tarzan they look differen't, but we're all the same, and they just don't trust what they can't explain, that is such a sweet scene. Also, as far as alcahol goes, Clintain gives Tarzan a small glass of wine when they were talking, but Tarzan got rid of it without tasting it (That a'boy!)
Adult Written bydaveteds April 9, 2008

Very Violent for young chikdren

Horribly violent for a G rated cartoon! We didn't even finish watching the monkey killing with our 6 year old! Never been so appalled in my life!
Adult Written bycbholley14 April 9, 2008

Totally un-necessary violence!

I was completely offended by the violence in this movie! Not only does it start off with a baby gorilla being eaten by a predator (the camera is on the mommy gorilla while the baby screams), but there is also a hut full of bloody footprints when she later finds the baby Tarzan. What really did it for me though, was the death of the "bad guy" who is hanged by vines after fighting with Tarzan. Although you don't see the actual death, there is a very convienent lightning flash where you see the shadow of him hanging by the neck. Disney should be ashamed.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamantha687 May 3, 2014

WOW!!!

Its really good we all enjoyed it even me for starters so watch it plzzzz
Parent Written bybelisab September 19, 2015

Tarzan 2014

Please note this is a review of a more recent Tarzan version. It is available on Amazon Prime and I think it bears reviewing here. I can not recommend this film- the gender stereotyping, the exoticising of Africa, and terrible dialogue. It is extremely violent and my six year old did not want to finish it. This is not for kids younger than 8....and even then, probably not worth your time.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 September 24, 2014

Last of the Disney Renaissance is adventurous fun

After having to read Edgar Rice Burroughs original "Tarzan of the Apes," (an incredibly sexist and racist, "of it's time") novel, I had to get the taste of it out of my mouth, so I went back to Tarzan's best known incarnation: the Disney version! I watched this over and over as a kid, this one maybe a little more than most Disney movies since it was only less then a decade old when I was a youngster. There's great voice acting by Minnie Driver as Jane, who, reflectively, is actually a very good role model for young girls. She's not a princess waiting for her prince to show up, she argues against what she thinks is wrong (i.e. Clayton, Brian Blessed, as the best voice in this film) and is stronger than say Snow White or Cinderella. The animation, especially the endless amount of greenery needed to create this African jungle landscape, is enviously gorgeous. Phil Collins songs brought back waves and waves of nostalgia, and that's what they're meant for! This is one of Disney Studio's best offerings of the 90's, and your kids will be sure to love it, though it is certainly more PG than G.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMiranda B. May 21, 2010

A good movie for kids of basically all ages.

Disney never ceases to make cute, kid-friendly movies that the whole family will love! Guns are fired, and a man smokes cigars and drinks a glass of wine and offers it to Tarzan, but otherwise this movie has a very positive message. Tarzan learns that just because you look different than someone else, it doesn't mean that you are any less important; and that you should always fight for what you believe in and for the ones you love. I grew up with this movie, and I still love it! Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Parent of an infant and 5 year old Written bygemmadee November 22, 2009
I liked the movie alot, and as an adoptive parent, appreciate the message that adoptive families are as good as biological ones. But my 5 year old never got past the first chase scene. She sobbed in terror at the first sight of the killer cat and we had to turn it off.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDisneyFanTruth123456 March 3, 2016

It' really good!

I recommend this movie for ages 9 and up because of the violence, and because of the number of people that die, but it all depends on your kid. I am at an age in which I can handle the violence, but that is just me. I rate movies based on what the movie is rated. In this case, the movie, Tarzan is currently rated G. There is a few things in this movie that may bump the rating to the next level (PG-in my opinion). I will first start with language. There was appropriate language for the most part accept if you are a parent that worries about little bad words that aren't exactly considered bad words (heck, idiot), I would take this into consideration. Although, my family and consider them bad words, they aren't super BIG bad words. As far as the kissing goes, Jane and Tarzan do kiss at the end twice. I will also warn any cautious parents out there that Tarzan does get oddly close to Jane, but do consider the fact that Tarzan has never seen another human before. If you are asking about drugs or drinking in this film, to clarify, there is wine in the film. After the scene of Tarzan asking Jane to stay with him, Clayton hands him a glass of wine, in which Tarzan does not drink. There is nothing much to be learned as far as education goes, but Jane and her father do express in an outburst of excitment that group families (and/or family groups) of gorillas lay in gorilla nests. A valuable lesson is to learned of course. The movie expresses very well that it's okay to be different, and that we need to accept people for who they are. All in all, I would rate this movie PG. It is a great movie with fun characters. I also rate this five stars for good measure!
Kid, 11 years old December 31, 2015

Really good and memorable

Pretty good overall. Cute, hilarious movie with fun characters and postotive messages. But then you GET TO THE END. Everything goes well until a secondary character gets shot in the heart (yes heart) and the bad guy gets his throat stuck on a branch and hangs himself. You see the outline of the body in the background and I don't know if anyone noticed this or not but the rain running down the tree might be a little too dark (blood). Leave out those parts and you have a great family movie.
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 August 10, 2015

One of Disney's finest. Spoilers ahead.

Tarzan was a really good movie with an excellent story, great characters and charming chemistry between Tarzan and Jane ( I will get back to that later ). The animation was flawless, the voice acting from Tony Goldwyn and Minnie Driver were perfect, in fact Driver was in another animated film that was released the same year (1999) and that was South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut. That's two gold stars for you, missy. The villain was decent, the side characters were entertaining and now let us talk about the romance in this movie. It was the best romance in a Disney animated movie. Here's why: When they first met, it was awkward, the usual stuff you see. When they got to learn more about each other, as I said, it was charming. Jane had a problem. Tarzan wanted her to stay, but she wanted to go back to London. Later, because of Jane, he found out he was human. He also betrayed his ape family and found out the truth. Sad and all. In the end, when she had to leave, she regretted it because she loved him. Her kind father stated that she can go back to the jungle with Tarzan. When she mistakenly kissed him, he kissed her back in front of his friends which was a really cute scene. Tarzan also has one of the most disturbing deaths in a Disney movie. Grade: A+.
Parent Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

3 and up can watch!

it is for kids kids can watch nothing bad about it
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysmgumke March 17, 2015

Not only too violent, but over-the-head for little ones

So yes, the movie is way to violent for young children - as in dead bodies laying in bloody footprints - umm no. But also, the content/plot is WAY too advanced for young children. My 3yo niece and 4yo son were not even interested because the plot is hard to follow for such a young child. VERY disappointed this was rated G :(
Teen, 14 years old Written bydisneylove March 19, 2014

Slowly becoming my favorite Disney movie.

Oh, Tarzan. Disney's version is ultimately flawless. Except for the fact that a baby can't be raised by gorillas. GREAT female role model. GREAT animation. GREAT story. Love it.
Teen, 16 years old Written byHackenbacker October 4, 2012

Only good for the music.

The only good thing about the movie is the fact that Phil Collins did the music.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShannon528 August 19, 2012

Amazing Movie!

I absolutly adore this movie. I must've watched it a hundred times as a child, but never could appreciate it to the fullest until I watched it again recently. The Phil Collins songs are beautifully written and sung, the story is brilliant, and the characters are deep. *SPOILER*: I truly NEVER realized that Clayton was hung in those vines at the end. Only now did I realize that it happened.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 6, 2012

One of my childhood favorites.