All member reviews for Tarzan

Kids will be drawn to Disney's fast-paced version.

Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written bymom and teacher April 8, 2010

Way too violent for little kids; better wait.

Tarzan's parents are killed by a leopard right at the beginning of the film. The baby is taken from his home by a gorilla, who then has to fight off the leopard. Tarzan is treated with hostility by the head gorilla. The hunters are shooting guns at animals and people. Finally, the bad guy hunter is hanged from some jungle vines at the end of a big fight. My four-and-a-half-year old was really upset about the baby Tarzan being taken out of his home by the gorilla, and he kept asking questions about the mom and dad were. It was pretty upsetting.
Adult Written byAshnak April 9, 2008

Decent Kids movie

Tarzan is good for older kids, but I felt it inappropriate for my 5 year old. Too many questions that should wait.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBlueSunday October 2, 2010

There's never a dull moment

One of the most amazing movies I've ever seen! The animation is beautiful, the characters are sweet, its funny, over all brilliant! Tarzan is strong and caring, Jane is funny and loveable, her father is just goofy (in a good way) Kala (Tarzan's gorilla mother) is understanding and forgiving. Kerckek is... well, get over his temper tantrums and you'll love him. Claiton, or as Tarzan knows him "the sound of a gun-shot" well, he's a villan, we aren't suppose to like him, but he's a good villan. Terk, hysterical, Tantor, a worry-wart, but so fun. Anyway.. you can't really hate any of them, they're all amazing characters! As far as gore goes: baby gorilla dies (ends with crying in pain off screen) parents bodies half hidden, bloody paw-prints, killed lepard, hanging death. You'll get over that when you see how amazing the movie is. I loved this sinse I was little, and when Kala tells Tarzan they look differen't, but we're all the same, and they just don't trust what they can't explain, that is such a sweet scene. Also, as far as alcahol goes, Clintain gives Tarzan a small glass of wine when they were talking, but Tarzan got rid of it without tasting it (That a'boy!)
Adult Written bydaveteds April 9, 2008

Very Violent for young chikdren

Horribly violent for a G rated cartoon! We didn't even finish watching the monkey killing with our 6 year old! Never been so appalled in my life!
Adult Written bycbholley14 April 9, 2008

Totally un-necessary violence!

I was completely offended by the violence in this movie! Not only does it start off with a baby gorilla being eaten by a predator (the camera is on the mommy gorilla while the baby screams), but there is also a hut full of bloody footprints when she later finds the baby Tarzan. What really did it for me though, was the death of the "bad guy" who is hanged by vines after fighting with Tarzan. Although you don't see the actual death, there is a very convienent lightning flash where you see the shadow of him hanging by the neck. Disney should be ashamed.
Parent of an infant and 5 year old Written bygemmadee November 22, 2009

I liked the movie alot, and as an adoptive parent, appreciate the message that adoptive families are as good as biological ones. But my 5 year old never got past the first chase scene. She sobbed in terror at the first sight of the killer cat and we had to turn it off.
Teen, 14 years old Written byOGORMAN May 21, 2010

A good movie for kids of basically all ages.

Disney never ceases to make cute, kid-friendly movies that the whole family will love! Guns are fired, and a man smokes cigars and drinks a glass of wine and offers it to Tarzan, but otherwise this movie has a very positive message. Tarzan learns that just because you look different than someone else, it doesn't mean that you are any less important; and that you should always fight for what you believe in and for the ones you love. I grew up with this movie, and I still love it! Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Parent of a 4 year old Written bysmgumke March 17, 2015

Not only too violent, but over-the-head for little ones

So yes, the movie is way to violent for young children - as in dead bodies laying in bloody footprints - umm no. But also, the content/plot is WAY too advanced for young children. My 3yo niece and 4yo son were not even interested because the plot is hard to follow for such a young child. VERY disappointed this was rated G :(
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 September 24, 2014

Last of the Disney Renaissance is adventurous fun

After having to read Edgar Rice Burroughs original "Tarzan of the Apes," (an incredibly sexist and racist, "of it's time") novel, I had to get the taste of it out of my mouth, so I went back to Tarzan's best known incarnation: the Disney version! I watched this over and over as a kid, this one maybe a little more than most Disney movies since it was only less then a decade old when I was a youngster. There's great voice acting by Minnie Driver as Jane, who, reflectively, is actually a very good role model for young girls. She's not a princess waiting for her prince to show up, she argues against what she thinks is wrong (i.e. Clayton, Brian Blessed, as the best voice in this film) and is stronger than say Snow White or Cinderella. The animation, especially the endless amount of greenery needed to create this African jungle landscape, is enviously gorgeous. Phil Collins songs brought back waves and waves of nostalgia, and that's what they're meant for! This is one of Disney Studio's best offerings of the 90's, and your kids will be sure to love it, though it is certainly more PG than G.
Adult Written byLowe's man July 1, 2014

Barney's Tarzan

When this movie came to the theater in 1999 I went to see it thinking that it would be reasonably close to the Filmation Tarzan that I watched as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s. Nothing could've been further from the truth. The title character's behavior in this movie was infantile, and so was his speech. In the Saturday morning version from my childhood, by contrast, Tarzan was more of a man. Disney's Tarzan is Barney's Tarzan. Filmation's Tarzan, by contrast, was 3-2-1 CONTACT's Tarzan. The reason why I say that is because, just as 3-2-1 CONTACT was an intelligent show, "my" Tarzan was an intelligent Tarzan.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySamantha687 May 3, 2014

WOW!!!

Its really good we all enjoyed it even me for starters so watch it plzzzz
Teen, 14 years old Written bydisneylove March 19, 2014

Slowly becoming my favorite Disney movie.

Oh, Tarzan. Disney's version is ultimately flawless. Except for the fact that a baby can't be raised by gorillas. GREAT female role model. GREAT animation. GREAT story. Love it.
Parent Written bylolboy55 December 9, 2012

3 and up can watch!

it is for kids kids can watch nothing bad about it
Teen, 16 years old Written byHackenbacker October 4, 2012

Only good for the music.

The only good thing about the movie is the fact that Phil Collins did the music.
Teen, 15 years old Written byShannon528 August 19, 2012

Amazing Movie!

I absolutly adore this movie. I must've watched it a hundred times as a child, but never could appreciate it to the fullest until I watched it again recently. The Phil Collins songs are beautifully written and sung, the story is brilliant, and the characters are deep. *SPOILER*: I truly NEVER realized that Clayton was hung in those vines at the end. Only now did I realize that it happened.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus July 2, 2012

Good, but could be better.

Way to violent for little kids. Many deaths.
Teen, 14 years old Written byNo Name, for real. April 6, 2012

One of my childhood favorites.

Teen, 16 years old Written bytwinkle1234 February 28, 2012

curiousity

i just have a question the movie review says tarzans parents lifeless bodies were seen with footprints but i only see the dads lifeless body, wheres the moms body?
Teen, 13 years old Written byEpicKevinMan February 11, 2012

Much more intense then most Disney animated movies

Pretty violent, escpecially when there are bloody tiger footpritnts wher Tarzan's parents were (offscreen) killed.And an offscreen death of a baby gorillia. Off 2-4 iffy 6-7 on 8+. My rating PG for Violence and Peril, and Thematic Elements.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebma97 September 11, 2010

Another great Disney Classic

Tarzan is a story about Tarzan, whose parents were killed by a leopard when he was a baby. Kala, an ape, finds Tarzan and adopts him; the baby reminds her of her child who was killed by the same leopard who killed Tarzan's parents. Tarzan grows up living with the apes, but he feels so different as if he doesn't belong with them because of his appearance (and Kertack, Kala's husband, doesn't like Tarzan because he is different). But Tarzan gets a surpass when he saves a beautiful girl named Jane, and starts finding out about his own kind (and as in typical Disney films, falls in love with the girl). This is a typical Disney classic, which means that it's really good! But it may be too violent for some kids. There ate a couple of fighting scenes that could be scary. Otherwise it's a great family film.