All member reviews for Teen Beach Movie

Heavily marketed musical is wholesome fun for tweens.

Kid, 9 years old July 21, 2013

A great summer movie

A great summer movie, with a fun mix of bikers and surfers. But of course there is sex and love. Nothing 8yo+ can't handle.
Adult Written byTinyToya July 19, 2013

Silly, nonsensical, seemingly harmless musical film.

First off, this movie is just plain silly but it is meant to be that way. Its intent was to seem lighthearted and feel good (it came across as random and nutty). However, I find that Maia Mitchell actually shines because she has a nice range to her acting. She is believable and likable. Unfortunately, Ross Lynch does not really deliver here. It was like he was plopped out of his Austin and Ally show and just reprised his role. He is pretty much a one note actor. Finally, there are a lot of girls in bathing suits (not slinky ones but actually quite tasteful ones). There is also some cutesy romance and a Zac Efron-ish type guy who is as flirty as he is dimwitted. This movie is pretty harmless and if a kid can sit through all the kookiness and musical numbers then more power to them.
Adult Written byRandomColoradan July 20, 2013

Good

The end message is to not put education before freedom and friendship, although I think she could have made new friends in school.Whether you agree or not I don't know. Although, in real life there would obviously be more conflict and argument from the aunt trying to get her to go to private school...but hey it's a kids movie. The ACTUAL movies of the era...Like "Just for the heck of it" are way more brutal, there's alot of real fight scenes, and they make teens look evil, which didn't really help the generation of the time with the whole anti-war movement. You can tell the movie wasn't really trying to put a message against the tide here: Follow your heart etc, be Liberal, blah blah, you know typical interests of teens.
Parent of a 1, 7, and 9 year old Written bylola459 August 6, 2013

Not for my pre-teens

This cheery musical is for teens only in my opinion. It is heavily focused on dating and romantic relationships. There is no kissing but there are romantically charged moments where I felt that a kiss would have been less harmful. The biker chicks are dressed in tops showing off their tummys (again, not for my young girls) and there's a song about "I know what girls/guys like", sung to convince each other that they know how to get the attention of the opposite sex. Again, maybe not bad for teens, but younger kids should stay away.
Kid, 10 years old July 27, 2013

Terrible, annoying, corny/cheesy-need I say more?

I hated this movie. I've always hated Disney Channel. I'm not allowed to watch it and always distrust it. I was at a friend's house and we watched this movie. I had a sense of distrust towards the movie but I always try my best to be a polite guest. Me and my friend didn't last through the first ten minutes. We thought it was extremely annoying. It was corny/cheesy (whichever term you use) and there was too much romance. Don't bother.
Kid, 9 years old August 19, 2013

If you see this movie, hide behind your covers because it will frighten you.

Typical Disney, with their corny teenager musical things. It's just a unoriginal idea, the film will never be as good as HMS. It's just so - ugh, teenagers surfing on the beach. There is no meaning, or moral of the story. It's just singing, dancing, terrible acting and dramatic scenes. It's not even drama, noone cares!
Adult Written byFatherwhocarez June 6, 2014

Are you serious?!

Ok, I'm a dad, of two little girls 9 and 6. They started watching this movie in daycare and didn't finish. So my oldest came home and suggested it as a “Family Movie”. “It's rated G”, she says! (Warning sign #1) So she tells me it's called (Teen) Beach Movie. (Warning sign #2) So by now, the daddy antennas are flailing! I immediately whipped out the iPhone and got to googling. It led me here. I read reviews stating that it was ok, just overly quirky and tweenish and if you can make it thru that, you'll be fine. Good for 8 y/o, 9, 10! Hmmm. (Warning sign #... Ok you get where I'm going with this) This sites synopsis even says Family Fun... Well, let me be clear when I say my family enjoys family movies and this movie is not one I will be letting my daughters watch again, not until they're old enough. Since when are Teen movies rated G?? G meaning General Audiences... The same G as our wonderful Disney favorites... Which had scary scenes with sorcery(Sleeping Beauty) violence(Peter Pan). Ok so I know some who have watched this movie would say, there's no swearing, no violence, no sexual references, nudity... Well, they would be right... Kinda. This movie starts off great, although the first words uttered in an opening song say something along the lines of “I like this boy”. The story and setting starts taking place and everything is basically fine. Then when the kids (wake up) in a musical, the whole theme switches from one friend (girl) has to leave their friend (boy) and their favorite past time, surfing, to look at the "hot, steamy" teen heart throb this, and "girls know what boys like" that, and "girls wear our clothes tight to catch our guy" this, and "we let the guy tell us what to do"that... WTF man! Rated G?!!! Are you freaking kidding me?? No, movie rating people, this is worthy of parental guidance. By the way, the previous words in parenthesis were taken from the movie if you didn't follow me. Now some will think that I'm over reacting... Ok, you decide for yourself. After all, you're the parent of your child, don't take my words for it. I would just suggest you watch it halfway before you subject a young lady under 12 to it. To me, it encourages, or reinforces in some cases, relationships with the opposite gender that are based on looks, physique, and social stereotypes of what to look for in a boyfriend or girlfriend. Teen s***. Excuse me. The movie started with great intentions, went into sexy mode, and ended in villain mode and wake up in real world mode. By this time the girl realizes that what she promised her aunt, although a promise, was something she could say no to and choose her own destiny. I'm all for that. Destiny's are chosen by the one who owns it. Now, where did she get this new found courage?? Of course it was from the fun she had, and the realization that the beach life is totally awesome, which it is. But the main place she got her courage from was when a fictional character from her and her friends simultaneous dream? says to her,“Don't let people tell you what to do in life....” At this point I paused the movie and asked my daughter of 9 did she hear what was just said that was an incorrect statement. Of course she said she didn't and then I explained: what would happen if the world stopped listening to good advice like look both ways when crossing the street or turning in a car. Or fasten your seat belt...! These are not things said to control, but to protect, out of care. I explained that what the girl meant to say was follow your gut and pursue your dreams. My daughter says,“I thought that's what she said.” Now we're talking conscious and subconscious mind... But some of you all aren't ready for all that... Overall, not my kinda movie, not my kinda adult approved movie for young ladies under 12, and not what I would call family fun. Homeward Bound? Family Fun. Beethoven? Family Fun. Matilda, Annie, Hocus Pocus??! The list goes on... But this is a bunch of teens talking about stuff teens begin to think about. Not 9 year olds. Still think I'm wrong for my way of thinking? Take a look at your parents.... That's why. SMH -dadthatcares
Teen, 17 years old Written byBallnis July 25, 2013

To many sex stuff

There was so many sex references
Teen, 13 years old Written byRachel4744 July 23, 2013

Overall Cute Movie

I really liked this movie. It had some great messages (even though they were cliché) such as "Girls can do anything boys can do" or "Never let a boy control you". There were some flaws, though, not unusual for a DCOM. ; You can clearly tell they were lip syncing at parts and the whole evil villains' plan wasn't incorporated into the movie enough (but that is completely okay considering it's supposed to be a silly movie from the 60's). Also, a few of the outfits were a bit too revealing.. On a side note, the people saying the jokes in this movie weren't funny or the characters were too dumb (or whatever) need to remember that Wet Side Story was supposed to be from the 60's and was not a well made movie (the characters didn't have wet hair when they came out of the water, etc.). Overall, this movie is a cute lighthearted movie that is poking fun at Westside Story and Grease. (:
Kid, 11 years old April 6, 2014

No. Just No.

This movie was HORRIBLE. It was corny, and had no real humor. 'Love', was basically directing this whole film, if you know what I mean. But the cheesy kind of love. Just kissing and all that. It was just so bad. The plot was terrible. It started off fine, and then just got worse and worse. It would have been so much better if Disney didn't just randomly throw in an evil scientist trying to take over the world. Really, Disney? Really? This is supposed to take place in the 1960's, and you're throwing in random evil scientists!? What the heck!? And the music. "I Can't Stop Singing", has to be the WORST song I've ever heard. And "We're Cruisin' for a Bruisin'" is catchy, but honestly just, so, so, bad. Overall, this whole movie was terrible. Disney was obviously trying to pull another "High School Musical" (but in Disney's defense, "HSM" was a really fantastic movie that is hard to live up to). Don't watch this movie. Ever.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycamh2000 January 11, 2014

Worst Disney Movie Ever

This movie is terrible, it has a bad soundtrack and a horrible story plot. so I go down in a wave and come back up in a 1950's movie seems pretty fun to me. NOT! I would rather watch Baby Einstein for the rest of my life then Watch this movie again even though I only saw 30 minutes of it
Teen, 13 years old Written byCoolg January 6, 2014

teen beach movie is a disappointment

this is a dumb movie.first,this movie is so not about 60s n everything seems like now.a lot of girl dress inapropriet(tall boots,shorts,bikinis).this movie is trying to make 60s look really modern and similar to today,but its not like that.watch west side story.that movie talks about racisam n another social problems in the 60s (and 70s).i think kids need to know the truth about the 60s.and disney always makes thing look better(hercules,sleeping beauty and another lies).
Parent of a 3, 8, and 11 year old Written byhomeofplay December 1, 2013

Seriously?

Me and my three daughters (ages newly 11, 8, and 3) saw numerous commercials for this movie, filled with girls in bikinis and boys in Speedos dancing suggestive. We haven't seen it and never ever will. I despise the Disney Channel and won't let my kids near it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byskc2000 August 13, 2013

Great Movie

Teen Beach Movie is a positive role model that teaches kids to never let anyone tell what you can and can't do in life. The Disney writers did a great job of teaching kids that you should follow your dreams no matter what anyone else says or thinks. Teen Beach Movie contains beautiful scenery and a great story line that can be entertaining for both kids and adults.
Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2013

this movie is my favorite

i think the movie is awesome i watched with my little bro he is 7 and he loved it so i think this movie is for kids 7 and up. its rated G anyway.
Kid, 11 years old August 7, 2013

This movie was terrible.

Although this movie was quite terrible, I have to be honest with the age rating, in which I find it suitable for kids aged 8 and up. Teen Beach Movie is a (very, very corny) movie which pokes fun at Grease and West Side Story. It's bad, I recommend you find a REAL 1960s-era beach party movie.
Kid, 11 years old July 28, 2013

great movie for all ages

This movie dos not have anything wrong with it. there was no kissing, the closest to kissing was when they leaned in for one and were interrupted. nobody dies, gets hurt, or curses. It's about two teens that are in the ocean during a storm and get sent into the one guys fav movie, wet side story, where it's bikers vs surfers..... there is a whole lot of catchy songs and the beach setting makes this movie fun. This movie is great for all ages, my 5 yr old bro watched this with me and he loved the songs and he thought it was cool that they were stuck inside a movie. It is very cool and good for all ages :)
Teen, 16 years old Written bymusicforver July 25, 2013

BAd

Parent of a 7 and 7 year old Written bycjcorwin July 23, 2013

Fun, cute, and surfer songs too --

I thought Disney did a great job with this TV movie. It is fun, clean, and we totally enjoyed it. Hats off to the costumer, nice job on fun yet appropriate clothing. Hats off to casting, everyone down to earth pretty; meaning I found the cast to be adorable, but done in a way that was not sexist at all. (I truly appreciated that for my son and daughter! ) I didn't catch the consumerism Commen Sense pointed to, I thought it was a nicely done and a fun environment; sets were lively and colorful. This is a 10 for us!
Parent of a 7 and 9 year old Written bymhclark July 22, 2013

Disappointed that education is the bad guy...

I was bothered by the message that you should value surfing over getting an education. They could have created a more meaningful choice for Mack, like "I don't want to go away so that I can stay here and study marine biology so I can be a dolphin trainer." They made education the bad guy. But, alas, with Disney TV programs, they are teaching the same message over and over that everyone is entitled to a dreamy life singing, dancing and fame (or surfing in this case). I think the message of gender stereotyping (the song "I Know What Boys Like") is somewhat offensive. Also, for most kids, making the jump from West Side Story to Wet Side Story and from Beach Party to Teen Beach Movie would be extremely difficult. I doubt any kids have seen (or would be allowed to watch) the old teen beach movies. Overall, this one is pretty harmless, but I think it is important to reiterate to BOTH boys and girls that gender doesn't dictate what you should do or like. The message is in there, but convoluted by the historical/cultural customs at the time (i.e. girls don't ask guys out, girls like boys who are in control). In the end, they do say girls can do anything boys can do, which was good. The songs are cute and catchy and my kids really liked it...but they were told they should like it by incessant Disney commercials and promos.