Cheesy '80s comedy still works thanks to Fox-y star.

Parent of a 10 year old Written bymichelhays February 17, 2012

Offers opportunities for good conversations, but it's a lot more risque than I remembered

I was looking for a movie with a non-violent role model, and I remembered this one revolves around the main character choosing to walk away from his violent potential. Unfortunately, this moment is so subtle that most younger kids miss the point completely. That being said, there are a lot of positives here: for instance, the main character is afraid of the changes he's going through, and tries to hide them from his father - but eventually the father breaks through and he sees that talking to his parents was the right thing to do (a rare occurrence in teen movies.) I wasn't prepared for the wild party scene, where kids get drunk and are paired off in various highly-sexualized situations (two were stripped to their underwear, tied together, and covered with whipped cream.) Fortunately, the embarrassment of the affected characters so horrified my son that it made for a good talking point about wild parties and the effects of alcohol on good choices. In another scene, the head cheerleader takes off her clothes (you see her naked back) and it's implied she has sex with the main character. It's made clear that she did so solely to boost her popularity, and she treats him cruelly shortly afterwards. It's difficult to disentangle this behavior from the intended message, but it, again, led to a good conversation about people liking you for who you are and not what they can get out of you. In short, I would suggest that this movie accompany a conversation about behavior and consequences.
Parent Written by1st-Pebbles-the-cat May 31, 2012

NOT PG - More like PG-17

NOT PG like Netflix says it is. THIS MOVIE more like PG-17 - FYI. Wholly 'd*ck-nose' wolf man! This movie I thought was funny and entertaining and mostly clean in the 80's is totally inappropriate for my kids! When I was on Netflix, I saw the rating was PG, I put it in our Qeue, thinking my kids will find it funny, like Back to The Future or something. WRONG. Captain America is rated PG-13 and is WAY cleaner and appropriate than Teen Wolf, much to my shock. The early part of the movie is high school kids trying to figure out a way to buy a keg of beer for an unsupervised party that none of them are old enough to go to. Not great, but maybe we'll get passed that... NOT. The language is totally NOT PG! It is well into the PG-17 area. I remember this movie more like Back to the Future - but boy did I remember wrong! Plenty of conversations using the word d*ck as an adjective, verb, modifier, etc. One guy surfs on the roof of their van on the way to the party, and then when they get to the party, there are plenty of camera shots glamorizing teens lighting up cigarettes and other weed-like items, drinking beer or other cocktails, etc. More conversations using the the Lord's name along with dam, etc. Totally *NOT* PG. Too bad. It does have funny parts, but it is not as clean as I remember and all the things that make in too inappropriate for younger kids, don't actually add to the value of the movie at all. It would really be just as funny without them and or said in a different way. So, FYI parents of younger kids. If you're over 16, still a moderately funny movie. How can you not like Michael J. Fox anyway, right?
Parent of a 9 and 11 year old Written byMom and movie lover September 26, 2009

Teens and up!

We were looking for family movies my husband and I remembered being fun. We _didn't_ remember all the really bad language in the movie and had to turn it off. Too much for our 9 & 11 year olds. Definitely for the teen set.
Kid, 10 years old February 20, 2016

DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE!

Parents and kid's- let me give a little heads up. Do not watch this due to its cussing, drinking, and overall nudity!
Kid, 12 years old September 6, 2011

Classic 80's Teen Comedy

i think Teen Wolf is a great Michael J Fox movie, nothing compared to Back to the Future, but it's a heartfelt teen comedy. I admit, there are some inapropriet scencs including a "sex" scence where, Pamela, MJF's crush removes her top but can only see her bare back. Also, there is a high school party with drinking, games and smoking. Personaly, I love this movie becasue Michael is a basketball player, Michael is my favorite actor, and he does a fantastic job as the main role. In the end of this movie it has a good moral, good lead actor, and is a great 80's comedy.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written byAndrewLawson July 3, 2014

More risque than I remembered

Watched this with an 8 and 10 year old. A few pillows over faces moments - mild language, mild drinking and a bit of fondling in a wardrobe meant that probably better for 12+.
Adult Written byAdriana62 November 5, 2013

Classic and Fun

Great movie! Very funny and both the dad and son are kind role models. The use of "f-g" was disappointing, and the car-surfing is dangerous (just remind your kid when watching). A few drug/alcohol references and a mild sex scene. Classic movie that I would recommend to any lover of Michael J Fox or the 80s.
Parent of a 3, 11, and 13 year old Written byB H. November 7, 2016

Good high school movie for mature kids

My kids watch this movie at sleepovers because my two oldest like Michael J. Fox. I think it's a perfectly okay movie for my 11 and 13 year old girls to be watching. Sure, it has two edgy scenes. A popular girl tries (and succeeds) to have sex with the main character at the school in her dressing room. You see her seducing him and removing her bra from behind. You see the side of her breast. As she falls onto him, she says "You really are an animal" in a seductive tone, and then you hear him howling, a wolf-like orgasm. The second edgy scene was when the main character attends a party and is forced to make out with another in a closet. Before this happens, you see two characters in bra and underwear flailing around on the floor in a heap of whipped cream, obviously making out or having sex or having some sort of sexual interaction. However, both scenes last less than a minute, and my daughters usually overlook them.
Adult Written byUnknown Agent November 17, 2015

Good

A Good film for teen's. Teen friendly with some iffy content.
Kid, 11 years old September 24, 2015

Sex, underage teen drinking, and drugs make this for older teens

there is quite a bit of strong language including D**k, B****, F***, and a few uses of damn and hell. teens are also seen buying alcohol from the liquor store and are seen smoking weed. also two teens are put into a closet to have sex or " Make out" as the other teens reference. there are also racial and homophobic racial slurs such as N*gger, H*nky, and a few uses of faggot and gay ass! also at a wild party teens are seen smoking and having sex and are seen wrecking the house and being irresponsible. there is barely any violence. this movie was rated PG i rate this movie PG-13 strong language mild violence teen partying and underage drinking including strong drug content.
Teen, 15 years old Written bychargnar February 5, 2012

It's Ok

Not Michael J. Fox's best, but still entertaining for teens
Kid, 12 years old November 7, 2011

OMG

OH MY GOD!!!!!! I am like, IN LOVE with this movie!!!!! I'm 12 and I'm saying how awesome of a movie this is. I've never seen this before, but I went on demand and saw short clips of this. I saw trailers on Youtube. Best Movie Ever!!!!!!! BTW, some language is used occasionally in the movie. "Jesus Christ" (as an exclamation) is mentioned, like, once. Teenagers also drink beer in this movie too. Also, Scott has a deadly transformation into a werewolf