Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Reboot offers impressive action, distracting innuendo.

Parent of a 6 and 11 year old Written byMom-of-Two December 26, 2014

A few extra words than expected...

The commonsense review seemed to be right on except a few extra words. There was a "d**n it" at the beginning when April is filming the foot clan and a "kick our a**"from Ralph during/after a fight scene......... and it seemed like someone says "what the h***" at one point (can't remember if commonsense mentioned that one already). Also, the scene on the VS billboard is right after the credits start rolling... and truly does come across more humorous than I expected. Overall a great film and the whole family was laughing throughout. We especially loved the scene in the elevator!
Parent of a 8 year old Written bybluemanta August 17, 2014

Fun, Funny and Entertaining

Overall the movie is packed with comics action and jokes. Some kids might get overwhelmed with the speed of the movie but my son was laughing out loud big part of the movie. The movie delivers the old good-vs-evil in a very humorous way ending with obvious winning by the good. I think some of the reviews here are too conservative but it really boils down to how your kid can handle action on the screen. Personally I don't think this is any different from Peter Pan's sword fighting which is shown to younger kids. The first question my son asked me when we came out of the movie was.."... this wasn't real wasn't it?..." and I was happy to discuss the special effects with him over pizza. My recommendation is take your kid and have great time....

Parent of a 13 and 16 year old Written bynuenjins August 19, 2014

Many bad reviews got it wrong.

You hear alot of bad reviews that the Turtles were tainted with Michael Bayisms and he slaughtered the story as he did the Transformers. Not True. With a slight tweak to the story of origin it still respects the source material to a very high degree. There is not 'oversexism' as many have said say a few brief negatable moments. Despite the fact that the original rubber suit turtles had a bit more charm and seemed to be more convincing in the Turtles and Splinters relationships there is not outstanding deviation that is really notable except that Splinter isn't cute anymore (he's actually a bit ugly with more of a disciplinary tone to him). The movie is fun, has some good action, is mainly family friendly but the writing isn't all that good with numerous overused cliche lines which often feel the soul isn't there as much as you'd like. It's a step up from what was done to Transformers and overall isn't disappointing but it isn't as epic as it could be. Hopefully the direction it's headed shows a bit more originality with story and dialogue next time out but this is a step in the right direction. Worth seeing for younger tweens and teens for family movie time.
Adult Written byhalolimama August 16, 2014

Good family movie

I truly enjoyed the movie. It is different seeing real people playing in the movie from seeing it in catoon. The movie is full of action and humor. I would not say this movie is violent since no blood showed in the fighting scene. The story about how turtles were created made the movie more interesting rather than just seeing actions. The character image well fit into my imagination. It does communicate the importance of family value and teamwork. Great movie to see with my 9 year old son.

Parent of a 11 year old Written byBinge W. August 2, 2018

Not too violent movie, but didn’t have too much to it.

My rating PG-13 for some violence. Has some violence including guns and disaster scenes.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byMeerkat.dog.yo July 27, 2015

Pretty cool.

This movie was almost as good as sliced bread (and I'm a fan of sliced bread). But it was very violent for PG-13. My rating: R for nonstop realistic violence, and mild innuendo.

Adult Written byFireFire July 11, 2015

Good Movie

I saw this at the premier, great movie always great for kids, Some violence and sex and language but they aren't always obvious and there are some scary scenes for kids (People are held hostage in a subway/The Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles come up behind characters etc.) but still fine for 9-10+ children.
Adult Written byBan Moy May 22, 2015

Ignore the PG-13, this really should be PG

I personally think this is a kids movie, although rated PG-13. Messages: 5/5 The movie teaches kids to work as a team, and to be loyal to friends and family. Role Models: 5/5 Each turtle is loyal to one another to the very end. Violence: 2/5 Constant (but extremely mild) violence. Nothing too intense. Sex: 1/5 Every turtle has a crush on April O'Neil. Swearing: Some pseudo-cursing (what the shell) Consumerism: 3/5 Plenty of product placement. Drugs/Alcohol: 0/5 None Off for ages 4 and under, Pause for age 5, On for ages 6+.

Adult Written byFighter_07 May 15, 2015

A very funny and action packed movie

This adaption of the turtles is awesome! It's funny, action packed and the turtles are well developed. There's only a little bit of innuendo and yes, even a few salty words, but it's nothing compared to rated R films. The movie holds great messages of family and working together. I wasn't disappointed. Even Megan Fox does good as April.

Written byAnonymous April 19, 2015

Adult Written by755 March 3, 2015

Great

Very good movie. Great movie for kids!!
Adult Written byzeekattacklee January 21, 2015

Turtles Reboot Review..

The film does get a little crude for some moments, and of course there is a whole lot of action. Otherwise, I don’t think there is anything a nine year old couldn’t handle..

Adult Written byjoshua martinez January 11, 2015

11 and up.

based on the video game and the tv series this action/adventure movie Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is an average movie stars with megan fox good for pre-teens and parents you need to know that Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles has some mild stylish cartoon violence nothing intense the message is about Teamwork and brotherhood and the role model is that Master Splinter is a wonderful father figure to the four Turtles, and he'll do anything to protect and defend his "sons." The four Ninja Turtles are young and occasionally misguided, but they also want to be brave, help one another, and defend the city against Shredder.

Adult Written byLazercheese December 27, 2014

Violent

It is a violet movie but not really but it is good for 13
Adult Written byPakistanPEGI December 21, 2014

Parental Gudience

Great Ninja movie but not for little kids. Mild Violence

Adult Written bylaurawayne12 October 20, 2014
I went along with my partner and 3 children 9 yr old twins and 6 year old all boys and they loved it. It kept them entertained through out the whole film and also It gave me and my partner a few laughs, lots of action great story line and also child friendly comedy. well worth a watch!!!
Adult Written bymidwestvalues August 8, 2014

Better than expected and some good messages

We went back and forth, do we take our 5 year old or not take him? There was not enough info online to validate, so we opted to go with the other kids and parents going and we just talked it over with him before the movie...the reminder about movie vs. real life. He gets that. Great movie. I can't tell you the great message he got from the movie because it will give away a portion of the film, but it was positive. It has a value story of family and taking care of others. It totally surprised me. Action, yes, but there is so much happening and the action is quick-paced. No blood that I saw. Lots of humor for kids and adults. Cuss words: I heard bad**s once, but it was said softly. They say a*s once and it is obvious. Other words used once each are "hate" and "stupid". Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. Great storyline, but I am not a diehard TMNT fan, so I just wanted to be entertained. It succeeded.