Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Find entertainment that fits your kid's interests and your parenting style.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for Temple Grandin

Riveting true story of a young autistic woman's journey.

Adult Written bygg36362008 December 31, 2017

a lesser-known American hero

My 3rd grader wanted to choose someone with autism for her American hero to honor one of her autistic friends. Temple Grandin also fit the bill for a feminist who persevered through extreme sexism and staggering obstacles to reach her goals, and beyond! She changed the way cattle are treated and farmed across the country, and continues to change the way people look at people with different abilities. I would show this to EVERY kid 3rd grade and up. I think it was rated higher because grown-ups do not want to acknowledge that conventional cattle farming is cruel and unsustainable--real change makes people uncomfortable. But kids deserve the truth, and they can handle it.

Parent Written byKatie A. October 30, 2017

Brilliant movie highly recommend

Really great movie. Funny feel good and a true story. A good insight in Autism my 13yr old loved it and so did I. My 13yr old thinks it some be shown in secondary schools. 10/10

Parent of a 4, 6, and 8 year old Written byspoko September 25, 2011

Great movie for kids and up

Not sure why people think this isn't appropriate for kids. My 6 & 8-year-olds loved it. There is one scene where a cow is put down that's probably too graphi c for most kids (though it's less gruesome than I expected)--but there's plenty of warning that it's coming. Hide their eyes for literally a couple of seconds, and it's past. There are also some scenes where she's discriminated against for being a woman, so be prepared to talk about that. The film is a great story of a woman overcoming a number of obstacles and turning her challenges into real advantages. It's beautifully put together, and does a great job showing how her mind works. Which can be a real eye-opener for kids.

Parent of a 9 year old Written byRobyns_Nomomie May 30, 2014

Amazing Way to see a mile in someone elses shoes!

Wonderful, Inspiring movie based on the AutoBiography, and other writings of Temple Granden. Great insight into the world of Asperger's.

Adult Written bySailing5 November 1, 2011

An overcomer...BIG TIME

An excellent movie to help kids understand the power of words and how they impact others. Also an incredible insight into the life of one that despite being faced with significant obstacles, she was an overcomer.

Parent Written bykatadams55 August 4, 2011

Awesome! (30 second review)

This title is great for teens with Autism Spectrum Disorders. It's a solid choice. The only real concern is one cuss word. You should definately watch this film! Overall Rating: In for ages 11 and up and 8.5/10

Adult Written bybrianface7 June 25, 2011

a must watch

it opens up your heart and mind and will make you more understanding and tolorant of everybody
Parent of a 3, 7, 9, and 12 year old Written byScubachewy February 11, 2011

Must See Feel Good Uplifiting Flick for Farmers Everywhere

This movie reflects the power of one and the potential benefit to all mankind from anyone who overcomes this type of adversity. I never guessed HBO would be capable of such an uplifting movie.

Parent of a 1 and 5 year old Written byBuckyD February 7, 2011

A well-done film that gives perspective and teaches tolerance

I rated this iffy for 12 because I think that some 6th grade kids would be able to handle the cattle scenes and also really benefit from seeing the world from the autistic sensory perspective. I also think it is important for tweens to understand that teasing and taunting affects the "freaks" just as much as it would affect themselves. The film itself was very well done without being too in-your-face preachy about special needs, instead preferring the message that there is a role for everyone to play in this world.

Parent of a 8 year old Written bygibson123 January 24, 2011

A truly remarkable story and film

A truly remarkable story and film. Clare Danes is amazing in the role and deserves all the awards she is receiving for it. This movie would be a wonderful tool to help adults and young adults understand and respect those among us with "disabilities".

Adult Written byterra100 December 19, 2010

Wonderful movie for teens and adults

This is the best TV movie of 2010. I personally have met Temple Grandin, and Claire Danes has done a marvelous job emulating her. The movie is SO well done. SO inspiring.

Parent Written byLoveBeingMom September 25, 2010

A "must see" movie

A wonderful movie for adults and a good one for older teens. The movie shows that although adjusting to life is difficult , that social skills are not that of "regular" people, a person with Autism can contribute to society and live a full life.