All member reviews for Thank You for Smoking

Adult Written byGhcool April 9, 2008

Adult Written byKurt Kenya January 4, 2010

Talk to your kids

This is a great vehicle for discussing critical thinking and healthy skepticism with your children, once they have the appropriate maturity level to see deeply enough into the characters. Why is this person saying what he is saying? I really don't care about the language or the smoking. Low, self-destructive behavior is all around us. We choose to participate or we don't. Another good discussion point.
Teen, 13 years old Written bytaconirox April 9, 2008

Very funny!

I laughed a lot. This movie is a good time, if you're mature enough to handle it. You just have to remember that smoking is bad.
Teen, 16 years old Written byloveizscary April 9, 2008

I learned alot!

I watched this movie afterschool in my government class. After watching the movie we were required to write a paper about how the movie simulated lobbyists from the real thing. Very knowledgable!
Teen, 16 years old Written bydontcrymasha April 9, 2008

Avoid at all costs!

For some reason, the makers of this movie thought it was necessary to use a sex scene to create a message about tobacco lobbyists. I never watched the entire movie, since I found it so horribly offensive. Although it is a very interesting subject, I would not recommend it to anybody under 18, if not older.
Educator Written byrenroc June 7, 2013

Thought provoking; a good primer on how to be critical of advertising

It's important to realize that Big Tobacco and the other less-than-favorable aspects of the movie are presented as, well, less-than-favorable. Slick arguers and quick-witted (some of) them they may be, but the movie has a not-too-subtle approach to showing us the shallow, morally bankrupt nature of these characters. A great conversation starter.
Adult Written byParranormalHour February 5, 2012

Probably seen worse

I watched this with my eleven year old cousin. (She was 10 at the time) Note this kid has seen worse and could probably beat up my high school's football team. Anyway the more we watched the more I realized she probably shouldn't be watching this and then she turns to me and says "I saw R- rated movies when i was 7 this isn't as bad as any of the others." Makes you wonder huh? Anyway, if you child is anything like my cousin go for it i love this movie but if not then i'd hold off till their about 14.
Teen, 16 years old Written byChipBloch September 25, 2011

What's the big deal?

So the characters promote smoking. Big deal. I've watched the movie at least a dozen times and I've lost count of how many times I read the book. I've never even thought about smoking. I know that smoking can cause cancer and kill you, but if an adult who understands the risks wants to smoke, it's nobody's business to tell them they can't. The characters in the movie don't smoke, so the actors and film-makers aren't promoting smoking. Also, the movie is rated R for a reason (namely, sex and language). If you let your child watch this, you need to ask yourself: who's really the bad one here? The people defending the rights of legal adults who choose a behavior, or the parents allowing their children to watch a movie chock-full of sex and language? The movie is great, full of very good actors and very funny lines. Definitely worth watching, plus I recommend the book.
Teen, 14 years old Written bywhyhellomister144 February 23, 2010

A thinker movie for the light hearted

This is actually a really funny movie - not that I wasn't expecting it to be, but it was funnier than I thought it would be. It somehow manages to take the concept of smoking, and make it funny and horrific. The entire movie is very clever, every line very witty, so it's definitely more of a thinking movie. But even so, there are still some sexual scenes and swearing that may be a little over your kid's heads for now. So if your kid can tolerate it, 14+ is my recommendation. :) Hope I helped!
Adult Written byhomey_j89 April 9, 2008

Teen, 13 years old Written bymoviereviewer April 9, 2008

I laughed!

This was in fact a pretty good movie, but i do not recomend it for chilren under the age of 15 because it includes alot of language, sexual behavior,and it might cause some people to try smoking.This movie has alot of humor that is good, but it is not humor that kids should be hearing. This movie is about a spokesperson for a cigarette company. Because he is the spokesperson for a company that kills so many people he ends up being hated.
Adult Written byakfletchers April 9, 2008

Not that great, but...

I didn't think this was really that solid a movie. The joke (sin promoters completely aware of how evil they are) just wasn't big enough to sustain the whole time allotted. But reasonably sophisticated teens should be able to get that it is SATIRE, people. Give the kids some credit!
Teen, 15 years old Written byMovieBuffMan123 April 9, 2008

indie classic

this is a hilarious film but not for your kids because they could pick up smoking lol. the reason it is funny is because it is sooooooo politically incorrect and shows how every thing we do has to be politically correct , but for that reason it is not saying sorry or I didn't mean it because it does and that is why it is a classic
Teen, 13 years old Written byDDRQueen521 April 9, 2008

funny but....

this was a good movie. for people that already know that smoking will kill you. there is also some sexual content. (shows nick naylor having sex in different positions with TV reporter)