All member reviews for The Abyss

Undersea UFO adventure is breathtaking but intense.

Teen, 14 years old Written bymovieslug August 9, 2009

good movie

not mentioned by common sense there is a scene were a man cuts himsself due to stress
Kid, 11 years old October 30, 2009

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!!! Kind of like Titanic but with aliens!! Great movie. Few swears but nothing terrible. Older kids and tween movie. Not very violent...
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe May 27, 2010

I am not a big 'alien' movie fan. They tend to be scary and hey, i'm not a big fan of scary movies either haha but this movie seems to hold some promise and I'm a fan of James Cameron. It's definitely a potential renter!
Kid, 10 years old April 30, 2015

Good movie, scary scenes

I LOVE this movie!!! Definitely a five star rating. But then there are scary scenes. These scenes are so scary this movie is pg13. There are parts that are a must for a warning. First there are floating dead bodies. There is also a man that gets a disease that makes him go crazy and cut himself. That man also involves a lot of bombing and other violence. There are mild scary parts when they put in water that people can breathe. The other mild scary part is when a guy has a seizure. And of course swearing and bad words.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykyleReeselives June 4, 2014

AMAZING!!! Times 2

This is a great movie. The main character is a great role model. Why? Because after discovering what LT. Coffee is trying to do (destroy an underwater alien civilization) he steps in to prevent it and ends up putting himself at risk to save the aliens (and, earlier, his soon-to-be ex-wife). Normally in movies with extra-terrestrials, the aliens are the enemy, but not this time. Coffee on the other hand was insane and deserved his terrible fate. All in all, aside from the many deaths by drowning and somewhat graphic language, this movie sends out a good message to seek peace rather than war or destruction.
Kid, 12 years old June 21, 2012

Loved It

The Abyss is a great movie! There is lots of bad language so people might have to monitor that for their kids. ( Spoiler Alert )Also it can be scary because in one scene you see dead bodies in a flooded submarine. When you see the breasts it is because they are trying to bring the woman back to life. This was a great suspensefull movie but parents should watch it before their young children do.
Kid, 11 years old April 29, 2012

What?

This is a really werid movie and i'm actully not surprissed this flopped at the box office.The aliens are really werid and the plot barley makes an inkling of sense.medicore acting, dull script,definetly james cameron's worst
Teen, 17 years old Written bydavyborn October 12, 2011

Heartpoundingly intense sci-fi thriller may be too much for tween's

James Cameron's often overlooked sci-fi thriller The Abyss was also easily one of the most expensive movies of it's time as well, clocking in at about $70 million in august 1989. Sure, that budget has been hugely surpassed in recent years, but back than, it was considered incredibly expensive, and not worth making, which is a shame, consiering it also didn't do all that well at the box office that summer, with about $54 million coming in. Also, as great and rriveting as it is, it is still a very, very intense movie, as most of James Cameron's movie are, which may actually be a bit to much even for a PG-13 rating, with plenty of physical violence and fistfights during the movies second half. Also, there is brief but graphic nudity, featuring the main heroines bare breasts during a non-sexual, but heart wrenching scene. Finally, there is very frequent profanity, with 1 use of the F-word and many other milder terms. In closing,I would like to say that this movie is a thrill-ride-and a half, but it is more suitable for teens.
Kid, 9 years old April 2, 2010

The Abyss

Rated PG-13 For Language And Some Scenes Of Action
Teen, 13 years old Written byParamoreFan09 January 19, 2010

Parents-- see it first and you decide.

I love this movie! It is so cool and I don't really know why I just love it! I love the scene where bud and that girl are stuck in the little submarine and it's flooding-- the best love scene! It's so sad but epic, too! The only thing is for parents to warn their children when a scary part is coming. There is a scene with a guy cutting himself, which really freaks me out but I love this movie! You should see it! The ending also reminds me of the new Avatar movie also by James Cameron.