All member reviews for The Adventures of Elmo in Grouchland

Sesame Street fans will love this sweet movie.

Parent Written bymonkeymo June 18, 2011

Agh....too scary for my 3.5 year old.

I wish I had read the parents recommendations on this one rather than just commonsensemedia's review as my 3.5 year old was really upset by this movie. She was heartbroken when Elmo lost his blanket and started crying and then when Huxley appeared it all went downhill from there. He is quite a scary character for a young child and there are a fair number of scenes of peril and she was asking me to turn it off about half way through. We compromised and fast forwarded through the bits she didn't like - I really wanted her to get to the end of the movie though and see that Elmo did get his blanket back so that she wasn't worried about that afterwards. I also wanted her to see that the villian did get his comeuppance in the end although that wasn't really dealt with so well I didn't think. We did have a good chat afterwards about sharing and not sharing and not taking things from others without asking but all in all I wish I hadn't chosen it as it seemed to upset her far too much. More for older kids but then they might find the storyline a bit lame.
Parent of a 2, 5, and 7 year old Written byJim T. October 17, 2009

Emotionally Terrifying to Some Kids

I can't believe that I should have screened an Elmo movie for 5 and 7 year old girls, but I really wish I had. Good grief!! Both were terrified at the thought of a blanket/lovey being both damaged and then stolen. Sensitive kids are going to be very upset by this seemingly harmless movie. Other than that huge issue, it was well made.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bymfa September 26, 2009
Terrifying for any child who has a "lovey" - a month after she saw the first half of the movie (at which point she was crying so hard we had to turn it off), my daughter is still petrified that someone is going to take her favorite stuffed animal (her "lovey"). Although she has watched Sesame Street since she was about 2, she will no longer watch it because Oscar and the other grouches are so scary for her. I'm so mad at myself for not previewing this before I let her see it. If you have a sensitive child, do NOT let them see this.
Kid, 12 years old October 2, 2012

eek, really scary

It had a positive message and characters, most of them, but the villain was pretty scary . My 3 year old sister got so scared at the helicopter scene that she ran out of the room screaming and crying. (It also gave me night mares,and I'm in the 7th grade). The overall message was: be friends with each other.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byddaisydee76 December 28, 2010

Dancing blanket too scarey for my little one.

This was too scarey for my two year old. We only got through 5 minutes. The opening scene has Elmo dancing with and dancing blanket. This freaked out my daughter. She said it was too scarey.
Teen, 14 years old Written byFairyWars98 August 31, 2013

Probably one of the first movies I watched

Wow I'm reading the reviews and a lot of you people are wimps saying that you or your cousins/siblings got scared by the helicopter. I was 2-3 when I saw this from a VHS my mom recorded (Which I still have to this day) off PBS or some weird movie channel and I didn't get phased by this movie a bit. Although the only part that creeped me out was when Huxley tried to steal the girls doll while she was playing with it. I thought the huge vacuum thing was going to suck her up lol although I was relieved when Elmo came and saved her. My favorite part is when Elmo first lands in Grouchland and they sing their welcome song, and it's one of my favorite songs even to this day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I even had the soundtrack to it and I used to blare it on my old 98 computer heh...
Teen, 14 years old Written byferret lover March 16, 2012

cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched this as a little kid, and LOVED it! I found in reviews many kids were scared of a dancing blanket, when Elmo lost his blankie, the bad guy.... I was not scared of any of this as a little kid! Sure, I was scared of the boogie man, (no i am not!), and 3D lol! Now i am not scared of that either! Great, cute movie!
Kid, 8 years old January 24, 2012

Very scary for some kids

My sensitive four-year old was terrified of Huxley. I definitely recommend previewing this movie before watching with a young child. (I only rated the quality because I had to to post this, I didn't see much of it!)
Parent of a 4 year old Written byDbai November 10, 2010

Love it

Huxley instigated a conversation about how to treat other people, how to be nice, how to share (so he did his job ;-) Didnt really notice product placement till it was mentioned here and then I picked it out in movie, so not really a concern for us.
Adult Written bycnoel12 April 9, 2008

DO NOT LET LITTLE KIDS SEE THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

this movie would be be borring for kids my age. i mean seriously, elmo loses his blankie, ooooh! but DO NOT allow your little children to see this. I saw this when i was 4, and the entire theater of 4 year olds either had to leave the theater, or were bawling their eyes out. i had nightmares every night for weeks afterword, and cried myself to sleep each night. DO NOT take your young kids to see this movie.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byMichelleB 9 April 11, 2016

Great Little Musical Number

My 3 year old son loved this movie! He dances to all the dance seens. His favorite musical numbers is the "Take the First step" & When the villain sings "Mine" he tries to do the dancing exactly. They have a Theater dance studio that I can't wait til he's a little older to see if he's going to enjoy the theater life. My little man wasn't scared at all! He likes it and enjoys watching! I hope there is more Sesame Street movie that are musical number Iike this one! I just watched this movie, 2016.
Parent Written byKatieC 6 November 9, 2015

Don't bother, not a good first movie - at all

This movie was all wrong. The plot is way too thick for a 3 year old. They can't follow the chatter or the story. There is a really weird, bad guy. Someone ends up in jail. It didn't make sense to my child and was hard to explain. Maybe for someone 5 or 6, but I definitely do not recommend as a first movie. Not for the average 3 year old.
Adult Written byNJ Dad October 14, 2015

Gloomy with an adult villian

I've seen this movie several times with different groups of kids. Many react with fright. Even Bert and Ernie have to jump in a few times to talk scared children down (they step in as narrators to do so). The villain is an adult male who likes to hoard things. A grownup stealing kids special things in a garbage filled wasteland!?!? This is NOT first movie material. Best for the kid who is either already or soon will be done with Elmo.
Adult Written byLowe's man May 18, 2015

not the best artistically, but good for kids

Preschoolers will love this movie, and it teaches things that they should be exposed to at that age, like sharing and cooperation. As for whether other Sesame Street fans will like it, it depends on when they initially watched. If they watched with Elmo, they'll like it. If they watched pre-Elmo like I did, they may or may not like it. I myself thought that it was watchable, yet I also think that there are other Sesame Street specials, both old school and new school, that are better than this.
Kid, 11 years old February 28, 2015

Sometimes Sad but Funny!

Great songs! Sometimes its sad when Elmo's blanket is stolen and Elmo gets sad. Heartwarming moving that is inspiring, educational, and has great messages. One of: Never Give Up! Maybe to intense for toddlers, but even older kids and parents will love it.
Parent Written byjessicac4 February 21, 2015

Looking for a movie with an evil villain who steals childrens blankies?

Shame on you, Childrens Television Workshop! I purchased this movie on Amazon after a recommendation here on commonsense media. What a disaster. As the movie opens, we are shown Elmo bonding and dancing with his Blankey but in the first 15 minutes the Blankie has been torn, lost, sent down the trash can, and then stolen by a "evil villain." Yes, the characters in this movie referred to the villain as "evil." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. While this did not scare my 3 yo child like I thought it might, (she sat there, struck dumb with her eyes wide as pies) I had to turn it off. I don't think she had ever heard most of the words they were using, as the evil villan plotted to hurt Elmo and declare his Blankie as "MINE because I touched it." I can't believe I own this horrible movie now part of my video collection. I am very disappointed that anyone would think this was a good "starter movie" for young children. I will certainly read parent's reviews more closely, and not trust "common sense" to have much sense at all! Good for children who are three years old!? Seriously?
Kid, 11 years old January 11, 2015

Elmo is Awesome!!!

Elmo is great all the time on Elmo's World, and he is great in this movie too! It can be scary but is never ending badly. It is more intense than the first Sesame Street movie (Follow That Bird) which I loved too!
Kid, 12 years old October 30, 2013

Perfect for young kids. (not sensitive)

I agree with you, Blue-Bunny. It is a great family film. Although the perilous moments and the slapstick violence can be scary for young sensitive kids. And also, in one scene, the Queen of Trash looks suggestive, because she was wearing a skimpy costume, but she isn't at all. She's not completely naked, or wearing a bikini, she is wearing a costume. And, about the peril and the violence, I'll let the kids know that now Muppet monsters or grouches or humans were harmed in the making of this movie. So good family film.
Teen, 13 years old Written byRoosterman October 9, 2013

Don't make it just MINE!

I'm 13 and I still love this movie! Elmo loses his blankie and goes off to Grouchland (A land filled with bad-mannered grouches) where it's stolen by the greedy villain Huxley. I thought it had a good plotline. I don't know why a lot of parents don't let their young kids watch it just because of little things that aren't even meant to be bad or scary. I mean, it's sesame street! It's been watched since children were 3! Huxley gives a bad influence as he constantly takes things that aren't his and finds it enjoyable. He also constantly tries to get rid of Elmo in bad ways, such as trapping him in a cave and sending a giant chicken to possibly kill Elmo (Don't worry, it doesn't kill him, just flings him away, Elmo's unharmed). But Elmo manages to defeat Huxley and retrieves his blanket back in the end! Also, take note: the Queen of Trash is another obstacle in Elmo's way and she's a curvaceous, and rather sensual character to the audience. But this doesn't mean you should skip the scene she appears in, because it's only a one-shot appearance from her and a very important scene! Anyway, aside from that, the movie is wonderful and sends a really good message to children about sharing and not being a greedy, selfish person. I love it!