All member reviews for The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad

Two classic stories told in the best Disney style.

Kid, 11 years old January 22, 2012

It's ok.

This movie is kind of boring. I would say it's for kids 7 and up. Just because of the headless person.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byMerryJ July 19, 2009

This movie is based very loosely on two famous works of literature. The first is based on "The Wind in the Willows". The movie doesn't live up to the book, but my 4 year old enjoyed it. I think most of the plot went over his head. Be aware that Toad is gripped by "mania", put on trail, sent to jail, escapes from jail and is up to mischief. We suggested we turn it off before the second story, because we thought it would be too scary. It is based on "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow" and we knew to expect a headless horseman. We tried it, and he didn't find it too scary, but I think it was because he didn't really understand what was going on. He kept giggling at the funny faces Ichibod was making while he was scared. The "romance" in this part was not particularly nice, and I hope some of the messages went over my son's head. The female character is a flirt; Ichibod and his rival compete for her attention, and are unkind to each other; Ichibod dreams of marrying her for her beauty and her money. We didn't really enjoy the movie.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAlix Jamieson January 6, 2013

CREEPY, SCARY But Good!

Mr Toad and his antics are always funny, as are all of the gang from the Wind in the Willows. However, the second story, is based on Washington Irving's classic American tale, "The Legend of Sleepy Hollow," a story known for being downright terrifying. It is for this particular reason, that I warn parents of very sensitive children to maybe wait until their child is older. Some may disagree with me, but that cartoon scared the bejesus out of me when I was little! Basically, Ichabod Crane is the new schoolmaster at a town in New England, he is admired by everyone, but gets picked on by the local town bully Bown Bones, or something. They both compete for the love and attention of Katrina, a beautiful and rich young woman, and when it appears that her and Ichabod are growing ever closer, Bown tells him the story of the legend of the Headless Horseman, making Ichabod terrified of his journey back home, (which just happens to be through the woods! Great huh?!) Seriously though, it's good. Cartoonish, mild, slapstick violence. But it is WAY past the usual Disney standard, FAR from the cutsie-kidsie pie stuff, and I mean the kind of thing you see in the greatest of horror movies, in fact, they may as well be doing a reactment of Tam O Shanter, the Scottish tale, because it's really that frightening! (I should know, I come from Scotland, :) ) and in a way, you could almost belive it is, because of a very terrified man on a jumpy horse, riding through the woods at a very late hour, with witchcraft and devil's work on his mind. If you're an 8-17 year old who loves Disney cartoons or any other cartoon and at the same time, are looking for a good scare, then this is the movie for you!
Teen, 15 years old Written byarthur16morgana April 8, 2011

i like this movie a lot!
Parent Written bymyab October 27, 2010

Watch It Every Year

For some much younger viewers it might seem a little too violent, though it's all very cartoonish. However, since it's Halloween fair, I'd say use your judgment for what your child can tolerate. Liked the message about friendship, and about being careful in making life decisions (mainly in the Mr. Toad movie). This a wonderful classic combo to start your kid out with when he/she wants something a little scary.
Teen, 15 years old Written bycosmo September 27, 2009

Parent raiting

Watched it when I was 5 my parents scared me after it by sending me outside then when I came back inside when it was dark they got an orange pumpkin head and scared me now every Halloween I have been scared stiff and I am 15 I started to get over it at 10 but still. It depends on the type of parent you are if your the whole type of BOO during saw you probably don't want to show your kids.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe September 14, 2010

These are two classics which are sadly not seen enough these days! I owned this movie when I was younger and we lost it when we moved across the country, but I still remember how much I loved this movie! Great for halloween and any other time of the year.
Kid, 11 years old May 25, 2010

Ichabod and Mr. Toad are amazing at recreating classic novels

This is the best way to show two awesome classics! There are some action scenes as cops chase Mr. Toad and little kids will find the Legend of Sleepy Hollow very scary (I like it, though) and many men fall deeply in love with Katrina, but it's a great classic people will love. It's great.
Teen, 16 years old Written bywho3697cares November 8, 2009

Deserves to be held in much higher regard than it is.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byken_y July 9, 2009

Great family entertainment.

Classic Disney treatment of classics. Mr. Toad is very funny. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is wonderfully told. Sure there are old fashioned characters and relationships. But these are classic stories.