All member reviews for The Adventures of Milo and Otis

Lovable pet tale about friendship despite differences.

Educator and Parent of a 7 year old Written byannefessler November 24, 2009

Not recommended

While it is a cute tale, the cats used to play Milo clearly were put in harm's way for filming numerous times. Milo was filmed plummeting off a cliff and going over a waterfall in a box. These scenes were shot from far enough away that we can see that there are not crew members nearby to rescue the cat if need be. We rented this without realizing the controversy surrounding it.
Parent Written byRKrieg June 20, 2011

Cruelty to animals

This film is delightful to watch, until you realize all the cruelty that was certainly in play during the making of it. Real cats and dogs are depicted suffering and fighting for their lives against real opponents, situations engineered by the filmmakers. Children listening to the narration will not be aware of what is really going on, but it is obvious to any adult observer -- especially when the kitten is flung off a 40-foot cliff into the ocean, or at the top of a tree trying to evade a snake. Use your "common sense" and don't support this film.
Parent Written byJesseCaf March 30, 2013

not recommended

My wife and I cringed all throughout this movie as the animals were constantly in situations that you could tell were stressful/dangerous. Although that stuff all went over our 3-year-old's head, we won't watch it again. And they drop the poor cat off a cliff into the ocean...
Teen, 14 years old Written byJimboTheErradicator December 18, 2013

God-Awful

I actually really think that this review was ridiculously off. They acknowledge that it's violent, but barely skim over the fact that the animals were actually going through the trauma? This movie is ridiculously terrible. Just because it's dogs and cats doesn't make deaths and injuries "cute," and it also doesn't make them for kids. Giving this movie a good review promotes people to watch it, which promotes more movies to be made that kill dozens of animals. I'd say that families willing to watch this movie should also watch that one video of 3 guys stepping on a puppy and brutally killing it. As a concerned public servant I feel that reviews like this should be erradicated, and I'd be completely willing to replace them. A site like this is supposed to PROTECT families, and STOP kids from watching heinous films.
Kid, 10 years old August 10, 2012

Great movie

I loved this movie when I was younger. Nothing really bad- appropriate for 5 and up. I agree with CSM. -Samantha (chocolatecake123)
Adult Written bynduns March 3, 2012

I almost feel bad for liking this...

If you know the history surrounding this movie, you'd understand. See, 10 of the 30 of the cats used for this film died on set, like, for real. In other words, these animals were in REAL danger. When the bear and the Otis fight, that's not staged. It's real. Heck, check out the original Japanese version and you'll see a lot of stuff this version didn't want you to see. And even some of the stuff they do keep in makes it painfully obvious these animals are actually honest-to-god harming themselves to make this movie work. Yeah, it's enjoyable as a film, but it's hard to really support such a creation when you know how it was made.
Parent of a 1 and 4 year old Written bykbierma May 13, 2011

A delightfully sweet movie for kids, enjoyable for adults, too.

My daughter was delighted with this movie. This is almost like a documentary story. There are no humans, just animals and a man's voice as the narrator through the whole movie. The scenery is beautiful and the animal characters are engaging.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybongos October 27, 2009

the worst

boring dum stupid worst film ever
Parent Written byheymaiabee January 2, 2015

Wish I had read user reviews instead of just Commonsense review!

I REALLY wish CommonSenseMedia's review of this movie had put a lot more emphasis on the "controversial animal cruelty" aspects of this movie- Perhaps it could have encouraged people to read some info about the making of the movie to get the real picture.... I certainly wish we had done so before selecting this movie based on the 5 stars given by CommonSenseMedia. My 5 year old son enjoyed it (thankfully, he is young enough that he didn't grasp the reality of how this was made), but my husband and I were horrified. Parts of this movie were genuinely upsetting to watch, as it was abundantly clear animals had been tormented for the sake of making this film.
Parent Written bycharlotteargon October 17, 2014

Animals Exploited for this Film and Subjected to Cruelty

I regret having the kids watch this movie. Though the different animals and the plot mesmerized my kids, the animals are in constant peril. I can't help but feel bad for the cat and dog (Milo and Otis) that had to star in this movie. The filmmakers made the dog get into a fight with a bear, a swarm of seagulls attack the cat, and the cat fall from a waterfall as it was inside a box. The worst scene was when the cat fell from a cliff into the ocean, and my 7-year old son worried about that cat and asked if this was real. Unfortunately, it was a real scene as you can see the cat struggling as it fell into the water. I don’t consider myself an animal rights activist, but you can see the fear in the cat and dog. Please don’t support this movie.
Parent of a 6 year old Written bymadsmooney1214 August 22, 2012

the adventures of milo and otis

Families can talk about the friendship between Milo and Otis. How is it special? How did they prove their loyalty to one another? What lessons can we learn from them? What do you think about the allegations that the filmmakers endangered animals in the making of this movie? Does that change your experience of the film? Does it make you less likely to watch or recommend it?
Parent Written byA critical thinker March 21, 2012

Cute, but abusive to cats and not compelling

The seagull scene definitely counts as abuse. They terrorized that cat, then dropped into the ocean from a great height. That's not okay. My kids enjoyed the movie, but I thought it was pretty bad. These farm animals survived a snowy winter in caves without food, and the dogs' cave looked like something from an old Star Trek episode. My older son noticed, asking "what's that glowing green pool?" The pool was bubbling and emitting puffs of smoke; in a cave in the woods, really? It's easy to imagine the animals communicating to one another in Dudley Moore's voice, but some of the other implausibilities were too distracting.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byjbella April 13, 2011

I LOVE THIS MOVIE!

i love milo and otis.
Kid, 10 years old December 4, 2010

No one could hate this

I'm speechless about this film.It's one of the best movies in the world! I'm an animal lover ( a really big one) and I have to say cute,heartwarming,funny,and adventurous.There are some scariness like a bear trying to get Milo's food, and returns for revenge, but in a funny way.And seagulls biting Milo when he tries to steal their eggs.But anyway,no animal was harmed making this film.
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe September 14, 2010

I LOVED this movie when I was younger and still find it charming, although now that I'm older some of the scenes do worry me. There are several scenes which clearly put the animals playing these characters are put in harms way. There are scenes of finding mates and having children but there isn't anything graphic. Overall still a wonderful story for children.
Parent of a 3 year old Written byAmyWP September 8, 2010

Preschool daughter adores this movie

My 3.5-year old daughter loves this movie! She adores animals and she appreciates the friendship that develops between Milo & Otis. When she gets a little older, I plan to talk with her about how the movie was filmed and the controversy surrounding live animal performances.
Parent of a 2 and 5 year old Written bysandnmommy September 3, 2010

sweet movie

It can be a bit scary but overall my kids enjoy it.
Teen, 15 years old Written byAdriana62 July 11, 2010

cuteness

I remember seeing this as a kid and I loved it. I love animals :D
Kid, 11 years old January 27, 2010

Great for little kids

This movie was defenetly not the best. It's silent for most of the time. I bet if I was near 4 or 3 I'd love it!
Kid, 8 years old September 26, 2009

Good for everyone

This automatically reminded me of that episode (in Hannah Montana) of when Hannah Montana meets the Jonas Brothers. I don't know why. I think I remember, but I can't place a name... And I liked the movie.