All parent member reviews for The Adventures of Tintin

Parent Written byDKW Mom January 14, 2012

Shocked by the violence

I have to say I was shocked by the amount of violence in this movie. We've allowed our 9 year old to watch Harry Potter films. Had I know how violent this movie was, we would not have gone to see it! There is a murder with a gun (while not shown directly, even a young child could connect the dots) and blood too! Guns and drinking appear throughout the movie. While my 9 year old wasn't shocked or disturbed, I found it way too violent for the PG crowd.
Parent Written bydrinal January 9, 2012

Love it, but too violent for kids

While I loved the film, the violence was over the top. It was one of the most violent "children's" films I've ever seen. An entire crew is made to jump to their death in the sea, several people are killed by sword and there's lots of gunfire. Not to mention multiple people being cracked over the head by bottles and pipes. And the captain's alcoholism is not fully portrayed as a problem. In fact only when he drinks again at the soldier's outpost is he able to remember all the family stories that are vital to solving the mystery. AND at the end he drinks again, his drink and Tin Tin's! So I'm sorry but this does not really show an alcoholic being reformed. Again I loved it, but why couldn't they just clean it up a bit??
Parent Written byCrakr January 7, 2012

Spielberg rocks

Great movie cptn haddock drinks though but has some very motivating scenes with Tintin who urges cptn haddock to stop drinking
Adult Written byabbyfinney January 6, 2012

Don't overlook violence

Tis movie really was good and exciting, but I think other reviews underestimate the violence that is witnessed. If this weren't a cartoon it would be rated Heavy pg 13 to R. Man shot, pirates made to walk the plank and eaten by sharks (this is not shown, but gruesome) and lots of shooting and killing. It is Indiana jones style and a great story though.
Parent of a 5 and 8 year old Written byshoesly January 6, 2012

Exciting, Funny, Non-Stop Action....GREAT movie!

This was a fantastic movie! I took my 5 year-old son and 8 year-old daughter to the 3-D Imax version of this film, and we enjoyed every minute. Yes, it has a lot of action, and yes, the Captain (NOT TinTin) is drinking whiskey throughout the story. However, the audience understands that the drinking is costing him a great deal, and when he sobers up in the end he is rewarded. I feel this is a good intro to talk to younger kids about the negative effects of drinking. TinTin is also a good problem solver, kids can see how he thinks through the situation at hand as well as the mystery he's trying to solve. There is one scene in the beginning where a man is shot to death, but apart from that there is not a lot of lethal violence that I recall. Hold on to your seat because this is a wild adventure, I loved it as much as my kids did.
Parent of a 6 and 9 year old Written byBuzzy30 January 5, 2012

Fantastic tale for older children, teens and adults!

We thought this was a very exciting and adventurous tale for children and adults alike. I think it'd be best for kids 9 and older though, as there are alot of fight scenes, guns and drinking alcohol (one character is an alcoholic). At least you can discuss these issue with a 9 year old and answer any questions they may have. I still needed to lean over a explain a few things in the movie, as it takes place in Europe and many of the characters use British terminology. For example, there are references to INTERPOL and I wanted to make sure my son knew what it was! All that being said, he thoroughly enjoyed the movie, as did I.
Parent of a 9, 11, 14, and 14 year old Written bynew guy02 January 5, 2012

why all the complaints

i will admit i have not seen this movie yet but i cant help but notice all the complaints about it well if you take your child to a movie that was rated pg to begin with than you should expect some rough content sorry but this is true
Adult Written bysarahkay89 January 3, 2012

Great family movie for kids, teens and adults.

Really cute movie. Fun for young kids, teens and adults. My whole family saw it together and we all enjoyed it. For very young kids, it may be a little too scary. The one negative element was a somewhat large amount of alcohol consumption. Drinking/alcoholism was a notable part of the plot, though it was shown in a mostly negative light. I highly recommend it as a family movie.
Parent of a 10 and 15 year old Written bymarilyn dykstra January 2, 2012

A thrilling comic coaster ride!

My ten-year-old son and I sat on the edge of our seats when we weren't laughing at the slapstick humor. Unfortunately, Tin Tin isn't as popular here as in Europe, but if you are a fan as my son is or if you like action movies, go see it. It's a thrilling comic coaster ride. A word of caution, however, there is comic violence, but no blood except for a few drops on a newspaper. It's the same kind of violence that we all used to watch as kids on Saturday morning cartoons. Also Captain Haddock drinks a lot, although in the end he overcomes his desire for whiskey in order to catch his nemesis.
Parent of a 7 and 8 year old Written byreamsian January 2, 2012

Drinking affecting memory is a bit complicated

the theme that alcohol-induced memory (or lack of) is a bit complicated for children.
Parent of a 4, 7, and 9 year old Written bySkaterMom January 1, 2012

Not for kids under 7.

I think it is inappropriate for kids under 7. There is a lot of violence. One man gets shot several times on the other side of a door with bullets coming through the door. Tons of fist fights and sword fights. Part of what bothered me was that although I personally loved the animation, there were times when I thought, "is it still animated or is it real?" The violence is what I found to be most disturbing for kids to be watching and the drinking was a little overkill but seemed a little less an issue, bc I think that most younger kids would overlook this. For teens and above, I thought it was a great movie.
Parent Written bysisinpacific December 31, 2011

too much alcohol and violence

I thought this movie had a lot of overt violence for a PG, especially compared to other PG's like shrek. It also had repeated references to alcoholism and alcohol. And from purely an entertainment point of view the story was weak. It was just one alcohol packed action sequence to the next ....pass.
Parent of a 3, 7, and 9 year old Written byWesley_cr December 28, 2011

Too much drinking

We took our kids plus a friend to see this for my sons 9th birthday. The kids all liked the movie and it was quite exciting but I thought the drinking was a little too much. Definitely a talking point.
Parent Written byBenH December 27, 2011

A rather long, violent action-adventure interpretation of Tintin

I agree with other reviewers that there is constant, excessive on-screen violence and threats, and that tends to replace character and plot development. Gun battles, sword battles including impalement, punch ups, cannon battles, knives. The fast pace is relentless, and the mood often dark and menacing, with the characters in constant peril. At 107 minutes, its also quite a long movie for kids. I made the mistake on taking an 8 and 5 years old, and my younger son was visibly distressed during and after watching it, as well as wriggly and bored by the end.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byOregon mom December 27, 2011

Great rollicking fun!

Great family movie. My 9 year old son loved it and so did the adults. Spielberg has done it again. Yes, there was some drinking, but that was part of an established character from the 1930-40's. He sees the error of his ways and changes. Good discussions can be had about alcoholism and drug addition. Yes, there was some violence, but only one guy actually gets killed. There are lots of edge-of-the seat scenes. The animation was incredible. It's almost real. They shot the film with real actors, then animated it. We did NOT see it in 3D and I don't feel like we missed anything.
Parent of a 5 year old Written byBetyD December 26, 2011

Great flick for a mature 9 year old

This is a great film and would be fine for a mature 9 year old or above. There is quite a bit of alcohol involved and guns, but a great flick! My nephews really enjoyed this one!
Parent of a 9 year old Written byBoyz3 December 26, 2011

Smart and adventurous!

A fast-paced, action-packed movie -- truly the Indiana Jones type of adventure sequences. There were quite a few shooting and fighting scenes, and lots of drinking by a main character (who changed later in the movie). Bumbling cops were funny. I would recommend it for kids age 8-9 or above who like action movies.
Educator and Parent Written byMomof2boys75 December 23, 2011

Don't let Captain Haddock's drinking stop you from seeing this. Let it be the beginning of a discussion!

I know there are going to be parents concerned about Captain Haddock and his drinking in this movie. I thought the movie was well done, and even Haddock's drinking was done well. It actually is a great opportunity to talk to your kids about alcohol and its effects. Captain Haddock's drinking is looked down upon by Tin Tin and the bad effects of it are shown quite well. This is a well done adventure movie and my sons both loved and enjoyed. While it shows drinking, I don't think it put it in a positive light and can be a real door opener for discussion in families.