All member reviews for The African Queen

Hepburn and Bogart shine in this odd couple adventure.

Parent Written bySinfoniarc August 5, 2010

One Of Bogie's Best But Better For Older Kids

Arguably one of John Huston's finest films ever made and until The Last King of Scotland was released (several years ago), it was the last movie filmed in Uganda. Despite not being rated by the MPAA, I suggest that children under 10 not watch this movie but not because I find anything in it potentially offensive, but rather because the movie is very dated and very much a product of it's time. Younger children will have no idea what it's about, what's going on in world history at the time, who the Germans are (and why they're the bad guys), etc. Charlie Alnut may be a good-old-boy, but he is a drunk and chain smoker (Bogie always smoked in his films and frankly never made it look so cool). Katherine Hepburn's character (Rosie), being a missionary in Uganda (1917, I believe), tries to change Charlie's behavior throughout the course of the movie and arguably succeeds. If you're a Christian, you'll like her strict morals and how while she's determined to destroy the Germans' boat ("The Louisa"), she still has strong moral principles that can be applied to everyday life. Ex. Drunkenness is bad, prayer is powerful, being a missionary is dangerous but very rewarding, etc. I first saw this movie when I was probably 10 and didn't really get it until I was probably high school age, but that's only because I didn't have the historical background to fully understand the movie. At any rate, it's one of the great films to come out of the 1950s. I'm sorry it took Fox and Paramount so long to come to an agreement in order to get it out on Blu-Ray and DVD. The latest restored version is breath-taking and looks and sounds better than what I imagine it did in 1951.
Parent of a 13 year old Written byTsion January 25, 2009

An Engaging, Well-Acted, But Overlong Film...

THE AFRICAN QUEEN really has nothing that bad in it, as much as I recall. I saw it for the first time about three weeks ago and was interested in what COMMONSENSE had to say. I don't know where the 14+ rating came from; there's no language, sex, or violence (only some tense scenes). I liked the film and Katherine Hepburn was excellent, but the pacing was bad and it ran about 20 minutes too long.
Adult Written byRhience March 23, 2010
Adult Written byMovieLover4Lyfe October 6, 2010
Personally I think this is John Huston's best film. Beautifully made and with superb acting! A must see for anyone 12 and over!
Teen, 14 years old Written bydwaltz November 29, 2010

Opposites Attract, slowly but surely!

How they learn to love each other is very interesting, perhaps even charming, to watch.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFabmax November 26, 2010

Having an adventure on the African Queen

I love it! It has adventure, romance, comedy , and it stars two of the greatest stars of all time, Hepburn, and Bogart. Overall, I'd say that this movie is awesome!
Adult Written bycalebcourtney January 24, 2016

May be good transition for older movies for kids.

This is not much of a review, but what happened when I showed it to my 10 year old cousin. First, let it be known that I am a huge history buff, and like to see younger people (I am 20, so by younger I mean 10-18 year olds) As an amateur historian, I have a bad habit of spewing off random facts about this period or the other, but while i was staying with my uncle and his son for a few months, my 10 year old cousin seemed to be fairly interested in my world war 1 facts. My uncle had the African Queen on dvd, so I figured he might get a kick out of it. I kind of expected him to be bored, but he was very into it. He asked my questions like "why are the Germans the bad guys" and "what does a missionary do" and how does a steam boat work." I liked answering his questions and teaching him about the general idea of war, and that the Germans were not evil, but they were fighting for there country. I also, was pleased that he took an interest in how the steamboat worked, so I fed his mind with some basic info on engines, and he got all of it. And, after we finished this movie, he asked if i had another to watch. I watched another timeless classic "the Grapes of Wrath" and taught him about the points of that movie, and that even though ti may be an old movie, it doesn't mean it is bad. Hope this helps someone, even though it is not a real "review".
Teen, 15 years old Written bywho3697cares May 25, 2009
I love Hepburn and Bogart, but did they ever do anything as overrated as this? They are fine together, but their romance rarely ever makes sense, and the plot rambles on pointlessly about nothing.