All member reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man

Teen, 15 years old Written bygrEEdo111 July 15, 2012

A Disappointing and Unspectacular Origin Story.

It has been ten years since Sam Raimi's popular Spider-Man trilogy began with an impressive note and it seems as though little has changed in the Marvel universe. Certainly in our own world we have since seen the rise in the popularity of super hero movies, particularly in anticipation of the recent 'Avenger's' film, and with so many other fantastic titles available and approaching (such as the hugely anticipated 'Dark Knight Rises' which promises to be one of the years biggest films and will serve to close the gap between the two comic giants), it's difficult to recommend The Amazing Spider-Man. The plot provides a fairly uninteresting story (as I will mention re-iterate later) and while the majority of performances are consistently solid, with Emma Stone as Spidey's interest and Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben in stand-out roles, Andrew Garfield's role as the Man himself, however, is lacklustre. While his portrayal of an awkward, nerdy, emotionally unstable teen isn't lacking in acting ability, Garfield appears to be strained and out of place in the role of the masked vigilante. A strange choice for the lead role, not least of all for the reason that he looks far too old to be a high-school student (a problem co-star Emma Stone also faces). Rhys Ifans plays an underwhelming villain (The Lizard) who's motif seems muddled and unclear, who's depiction in a bright and fairly unspectacular CGI manner does not feel coherent with the films gritty and realistic tone which it seems to strive for. The biggest problem with The Amazing Spider-Man, however, is that it provides nothing new (the aforementioned starter of Sam Raimi's trilogy had an interesting villain and play on morality that set it apart from most other hero films). We have seen this story before in a plethora of other superhero movies and done in far more interessting ways. It feels as though TASM is simply walking through the motions, and provides no real redeeming qualities. Ultimately, The Amazing Spider-Man is far short of Amazing. Its too convoluted for children to understand, and too incoherent and unspectular to entertain any other demographic. If your looking for a good super hero movie, keep your coins in your pocket and wait for the Dark Knight Rises, or dash out to catch the Avengers before it finishes. Steer clear of this.
Adult Written bynbafan3535 July 13, 2012

Too violent for kids.

Lots of graphic violence.
Adult Written bycharlie2411235 July 13, 2012

Too violent and sexy for kids.

The movie is extremely bloody, sexy, and innapropiate.
Educator and Parent Written byTeacherMom3 July 13, 2012

Wait till it's on netflix or redbox or huluplus.

I found the movie cheesy at times, but of course Martin Sheen and Sally Fields brought their skills to the screen in a way that made the movie interesting for me. My children (15, 14, 12) LOVED the movie. LOVED it. Being thrifty, though, I didn't get enough out of it to merit the money. There wasn't much that my children wanted to talk about afterwards. There are a couple of things that I will bring up with them in the days to come, though: I was bothered that Peter dissed the police officer when he was caught webbing up a car thief. I think all of us should show respect to the hard-working police officers that keep our communities safe, and I don't appreciate them being portrayed as buffoons. I was also tremendously bothered about the last line: the best promises are the ones you don't keep. I understand that he said this to let Gwen know that he is going to stay in her life; however, if he's going to break the promise to her dying father there should have been some screen time devoted to how he thought that through or arrived at that conclusion. It was incongruous to find this in such a black-and-white movie. Would a superhero really break his promise?
Parent of a 5, 6, and 8 year old Written byjoanneguerrerio... July 9, 2012

Not for kids

I went to see Spiderman before I took my grandson. I felt the killing of his uncle was too vivid of a death. Also the death of his girl friends father was too vivid for children. These characters have to die for the story plot but for kids I think it does not have to be so vivid and bloody. Kids can walk away from that movie and have a negative reaction and be scared. The superhero stuff is OK and super hero fun . All of that is comic book . The vivid deaths of the two fathers i feel can negatively impact children. The movie could have been done without such detail of those deaths. It would not have been so sad.
Parent Written bySuperMommy101 July 6, 2012

Good overall messages!

I just took my 9 year old son to see this movie. He has seen all 3 of the previous Spiderman movies (with Toby Maguire). Before going to this movie tonight I thought the other reviews about this movie being much better couldn't be all that... but this movie is better. It gives you more of the history of Pater Parker. I do think it is strange to throw in a new female lead (Gwenn). I never read the comic books, but I thought MJ was always Peter's love interest??? Once the credits come on at the end, make sure you hang around so you can see another minute of movie. As far as the language goes, the "Mother Hubbard" saying that Peter says one time did not sound to me like it was supposed to be a replacement for another phrase. It fits right in the context...Gwenn is doing something that is taking care of a problem and it almost sounds like he is just sying she is acting like a little mama. My 9 year old son LOVED this movie and says it was better than the others. When it was over he asked why it couldn't have been 18 hours long!!! This movie has more feeling/emotion than the other three and therefore I appreciated it more. But the action was still all there so he appreciated it more as well. The kid who plays Peter Parker does an excellent job (not to say that Toby Maguire didn't do a good job as well... I don't want to knock someone else's hard work). Martic Sheen and Sally Field were an EXCELLENT addition (and suprise... I had no idea Sally Field was in it!) Overall a good movie and the action/violence is mostly between a lizard and Spiderman - not between real people. And Spiderman does a great job at helping real people. He is a responsible role model as well. He even replaced a man hole cover in the street after he came out of it (I am always trying to get my 9 year old to put things back the way he found them - or better). I would recommend it, it was worth letting my son watch it.
Parent Written byfatherkeith July 6, 2012

Great 3D movie

This is a great movie and took advantage of all of the 3D experiences. However, do not compare it to other spiderman movies or you will find flaws in it. I will say that this is a movie for 13+ because of the sudden suprises during the movie. Oh do not jump out of your seat to leave after the movie. There is a teaser after the credits. That is all I am going to say.
Teen, 14 years old Written byStevie111 July 5, 2012

Very Good superhero movie

This is a very good movie. The action is frequent, mainly in the second half. Some intense images. Should be fine for older kids/ pre-teens, but know your child.
Kid, 10 years old July 4, 2012

Not a Bad Movie

This movie was very good.It had a little kissing scenes but they were not intense. It had mild language and some fighting scenes. It might be a little scary for kids 7 and under. Overall, i thought the movie was very good.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPongo030609 August 23, 2015

Great film, but with some moments that may freak younger children.

I absolutely love this film. It's really good. However, parents deciding whether or not to let there children watch this film, should know that it may frighten children under 11. It contains scenes where the scary looking giant lizard creature strangles our hero with his powerful tail. In these scenes, spiderman's face goes all red and scratchy, and it looks really painful. The violence in this is moderate, and kids 11+ should be able to handle it. The language is only minor, and suitable for kids 11+.
Parent Written byMeerkat.dog.yo July 28, 2015

Really good, but violence throughout.

This movie was a hit, but there was WAY more violence then I was expecting. There were also some minor curse words such as, "damn" "hell" "ass" and "Mother Hubbard". Overall, I loved it and I wonder if the sequel is as good.
Teen, 14 years old Written byParkerSmykle July 5, 2015

a truly amazing spider-man movie

a truly amazing spider-man movie 5/5 stars.
Kid, 8 years old July 4, 2015

Scary, thrilling sci-fi movie has tons of violence.

This sci-fi tale tells the story of Peter Parker. Peter lives with his grandparents after his parents where killed in a plane crash. Then Peter is bitten by a robotic spider than gives him a spider suit and spider powers. Then a huge green monster starts attacking the city, and now his mission is trying to protect his girl friend and the city. There is tons of constant, graphic , gory violence, characters are stabbed, bashed, ripped, stabbed, plunge, crash, smashed, crushed, thrown, and beaten, in 2 sequences 2 big characters are killed brutally. There is some mild language but very infrequent and not strong or constant. There is also tons of flirting, some kissing, and in 1 scene kissing turns into more and Peter and his girl friend start taking of there shirts, but nothing graphic shown. This movie is thrilling, exciting, fantastic, interesting, entertaining, fun, amazing, and instantly a classic. My rating:R for strong violence throughout, language, partial nudity, and brief racy content.
Kid, 11 years old June 23, 2015

Not really that violent

Suggested rating: PG for Action violence rude humor and some mild language
Kid, 10 years old May 24, 2015

Kid, 8 years old May 15, 2015

wallcrawler

dis movie is da best .sling a web awsomenes.go webby wallcrawler.aaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwsssssssssssooooooommmmemmmeeeeee web up action with some wallcrawling spider entertainment.
Teen, 13 years old Written byTom Cruise Fan March 1, 2015

The Amazing Spider-Man movie review

To date, "Spider-Man 2" is still my favorite "Spider-Man" movie. "The Amazing Spider-Man" was one of my most anticipated films of 2012. In short, this movie was good, but underwhelming. I do like Andrew Garfield's portrayal of Spider-Man better than Toby Maguire's. Also, I did like the cinematography and camerawork. The story was interesting as well. However, it dragged in so many sequences. Also, the movie was predictable. I was underwhelmed by the action and I thought the chemistry between Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield was crap. Still, the movie is okay and I recommend it to comic book fans.
Kid, 11 years old January 20, 2015

review on The Amazing Spiderman

I think that it is a bit scary a some points and there are some scenes that include kissing so if you don`t want you kid to see that then just skip it. Other than that it`s a great movie.
Kid, 10 years old October 28, 2014

love it!

I like it because it is scary but not too scary so almost everyone will like it. I like the way he transformed and the side effects, My favorite part is the exitment. some stuff happens when you dont expect it to happen!
Kid, 11 years old October 23, 2014

Nothing different to the other Spidey movies

Violence- 3 (Fistfights, some cuts, a jump scene)