Want personalized picks that fit your family?

Set preferences to see our top age-appropriate picks for your kids.

Go to For Your Family

Parent reviews for The Angry Birds Movie

Silly, frenetic, sometimes-crude 'toon based on popular app.

Parent of a 13 year old Written byMsB423 May 21, 2016

Inappropriate Humor

Save your money. This was pretty awful. At one point "Red" says, "Pluck my life..." Seriously. That is just too close to profanity for my taste, at least in a movie that's aimed at kids. There is a lot of bathroom humor and the plot is thin. Once the green pigs show up, I felt like the plot took a major nosedive. I was sort of enjoying the idea that Red was angry and had to get a handle on his anger. I could see some value to that lesson. Some cute characters seemed to be in store for the audience, and I was enjoying the colorful animation and the silly humor. Instead, the movie took a turn, and suddenly there was no lesson, and anger actually became the focus of even the most kind-hearted birds. The pigs were gross to watch and I honestly fell asleep for awhile after they arrived. That whole subplot ruined what had started out as a somewhat cute movie.

Parent Written byRebecca N. December 18, 2017

Fun movie

It was a good movie. It does have a few words that resemble curse words which, if pointed out a child may repeat them and use them to be ugly. It was a funny little movie.

Adult Written bySaltyMama May 30, 2016

Crude Humor = Awkward Convos w/ fam

My 7 year old son and I were very excited to see a movie made from one of our favorite games from iPad time. But to my disappointment, the movie was filled with crude humor (sex jokes), too many flashing images and all around no solid message. It seemed like the creators were trying to add in some subtle 'adult humor,' but went a little overboard. With crude comments like, "Get to work ladies," the pervy eagle's 'bird watching,' and "What the pluck." They even managed to work fifty shades of grey into the movie (?!) During the movie, my son asks me, "Mommy, what did he mean by get to work ladies?" Definitely not ready to have that convo at this stage :( A forgettable movie with no real substance. I'll stick with Zootopia, thank you very much.

Parent Written byCharity D. December 31, 2017

For teens and preteens (maybe) but certainly not appropriate for kids

I felt a bit uncomfortable with the way the anger (a selfish anger to be clear - "no one appreciates me" "life is so unfair") seems to be celebrated from the get go. Not sure how it turns out because I don't need my 4yo semi-cursing in public ("Pluck my life"? Really, Dreamworks execs?! I hope your children discover dinosaurs and never let you hear the end of it.) Also, the way women are treated in this movie is fairly appalling. It made my 8yo uncomfortable and taught my 4yo how to be a Peeping Tom. Again, thanks Dreamworks. You guys rock. -_-

Parent Written byStephanie T. May 18, 2017

Good Message, but Expect Some Adult Humor

The message: An outcast who has fits of anger saves the day by turning his anger into bravery to wage war against the pigs who stole their eggs. We see the effects of what bullying does to people later in life. On the flip side, the main character, because he is set apart from the rest, sees things no one else does and uses this to save the day. He's not afraid to say it like it is and take action. About the adult humor... There are the obvious jokes that have been pointed out, but there are subtler ones. For instance, Red and Chuck go to Bomb's house. You see evidence of an explosion occurring, and then, he opens the door wearing a towel and nervously says, "I was just taking a shower." To which, Red says, "TMI, Bomb." It's an implied joke. There is another instance where Chuck is daydreaming about Mighty Eagle. In this daydream, Mighty Eagle is dancing on stage, half dressed and showing off his butt and chest, and you can hear female voices screaming and cheering. Chuck is seen in the crowd wearing a wig and Mighty Eagle signs his chest. I'm thankful this went over my kids' heads and I didn't have to explain anything. That is what you hope for when you hear or see these jokes. Still! It would be nice to avoid the awkwardness and just see something without the sexual innuendo.

Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written byjim from maine May 23, 2016

Pleasant surprise

I was pleasantly surprised. We are very strict about what we take our kids to, or what we allow them to see. VERY strict. So this was a gamble. It is fairly cute, funny, visually great, quite entertaining. Not too rude or violent either (I totally missed the line about "pluck my life"........our son and his friend would have not even noticed it had they even heard it in the first place.......this kind of stuff gets snuck into more and more kids movies these days. Older kids might catch it and be negatively influenced, which leads me to think that kids between ten or eleven and fourteen or so should not see this movie. That's unfortunate, as they would really "get" and enjoy the rest of the humor). The main character (Red) came across as likable and not obnoxious....as many characters in today's kids movies do. Our 8 year old and his 9 year old friend really liked it a lot. Even I found it to be genuinely funny. There are semi-mature themes that probably mean kids under eight might be confused or influenced a bit above their developmental tolerances. Kids under five will probably be fine as they won't understand most of it anyways. Full disclosure: our almost-four year old got bored halfway through and had to leave. This is likely with any kid under five, as there is quite a bit of dialogue and plot. But my wife and the kids said it just got better in the second half. So I think that the "sweet spot" age-wise would be between 7 and 10, and above 14. There is no semi-disguised liberal "message", as is so common in kids movies these days. There aren't many movies that are worth taking kids to these days, so when one comes along, I think we should support it!
Adult Written bymariao2 May 21, 2016

A misunderstood amazing movie

I can't belive the movie it's complained about this movie! I saw it with my little cousins and they have enjoy it as much as I did: A LOT!! I think that it's great to show the children that an angry character have good reasons to be like it but that deep down it's a nice guy and adorable. It's important to let them know that anger it's showed when someone have a bad day, when there's other that make it feel like that way, and that sometimes it's to conceal their sadness and insecurities. Sure, it's not right to be angry ALL the time, but ignoring the serious issues with a fake smile and eluding the negative feelings it's just wrong! It is true that there's a hint of sexual comentary, but only a hint; and not even my 8-year-old cousin undertand it. Anyway, it's really a great movie to see in cinemas. Worth to watch it

Parent of a 5 year old Written byNathan T. December 4, 2016

my 5 1/2 year old loved it

I was a little worried about whole "eating of the young" thing, but it somehow was dealt with pretty well and wasn't a problem for my 5 1/2 year old. And the whole Eagle's lake scene was setup brilliantly!
Adult Written byCastielFan December 1, 2016

love the movie and Game

I'm a huge angry birds fan I enjoyed the movie with my mum

Adult Written byMeriller July 8, 2016

Angry Birds is Deplorable!

If your interest is in seeing your kids' brain cells marinated to mush, sit them in front of this garbage. We shut it off, 15 minutes in. The despicable use of not-so-subtle foul language as well as multiple overtly sexual references made me sick to my stomach. Not to mention the glorification of law breaking and disrespectful behaviour. Why can't we let our kids be kids?!

Parent of a 3 and 8 year old Written byded548 June 12, 2016

Adult Humor... Get ready to answer your kid's questions.

I thought the movie was hilarious, from an adult perspective. It really is too bad they didn't gear this towards children a little more. Somewhere in between birds being called "pecker head", and a particularly risqué spit-swap/swallowing event followed by an extended urination scene that mortifies and emotionally scars the likes of three main characters, you will find some humorous exploits that make you smile, and have the ability to leave you wanting more. True: There are some pretty rugged scenes in the movie that are quite abrasive if you're a protective parent. However, if you look past the sarcasm; which proves to be nearly the entire script, your children most likely will not understand much of anything that is going on in the movie. When birds are sad, feel anger, and display love for their young ones, the child-viewers can identify and enjoy these scenes. There are many scenes that point to the "reality" of the movie is about saving their children. The problem posed by the movie is the overuse of adult problems paired with juvenile "solutions." Example: Chuck get a speeding ticket and destroys the police officer's office, tinsel-drags his butt across the top of the desk, steals the officers' wallet and spends all of his money at a bar, and finally ends the scene as he drops an implied bird-turd on the officer's helmet and shoulder. No one died in the movie, despite the overuse of explosions, and the traditionally expected slingshotting of birds into various things. Overall there are many questions your kids will have after they watch this, whether they dare to ask you about it, or not. Hiding in there somewhere if you dig deep enough you can find valuable lessons about bullying, fair play, treat others how you want them to treat you, friendship, diversity and individuality, importance of perseverance, and setting your mind to succeeding.

Parent Written byRadioJax June 5, 2016

Terrible Movie for Any Age

There are so many sexual references in this movie, I was sick watching it next to my 9-year-old. Thankfully, it went over his head, but not mine or his father's. There is a "peeping Tom" moment, an extended urination scene with the Mighty Eagle character in which the angry birds stare at him. The audience sees the back of the eagle, but the birds are clearly staring at his front, which is incredibly disturbing. There is also a reference to an orgy. In addition, the movie just isn't good. The writing is terrible. The storyline is weak and the humor isn't there. It's a missed opportunity for a great app.

Adult Written byRMorgs May 30, 2016

Too many adult themed references

A good movie ruined by crude jokes, swearing and sexual references. Why bother having them? They bring nothing to the movie at all. A real shame, as if they had been omitted, it would have been a fairly decent movie. Follows the Angry Birds story pretty much. Takes a while to get going, but some funny scenes.

Adult Written bykellymarcalston May 22, 2016

Awful

I have no problem with commercialism per se (I'm in marketing) and as this was a game first and a movie second, it's to be expected. The movie itself, however, was a prime example of lazy film-making - jokes inserted for the 'benefit' of adults that yes, kid's don't understand but still, way way inappropriate (tassels on a pig anyone?). Soooooooo many butt jokes, and an extended scene of the Mighty Eagle peeing in the lake two of the protagonists had just drunk from (and they, in turn, spit the water into each other's mouths). Seriously, every kids movie does not have to be at the level of the best Pixar/Disney films but Sony and Illumination and Dreamworks need to try way way harder to approximate a film that's funny, appropriate, and clean for our youngsters. 'Pluck my life'...seriously???

Adult Written bytomtormey May 21, 2016

Angry Birds

If you're going into this animated film based on a phone app (first of its kind) and you're expecting an Oscar worthy movie you're going to be disappointed. It's too easy the attack the commercialism of the film. It is after all an hour long commercial. Although last year's Lego Movie proved that you can still have a plot that holds the attention of both adults and children. I'm going to bullet some points about the film that you may care to know 1. Lots of bathroom jokes. ... lots of them. For example, the Mighty Eagle (just picture Brendan Fraiser with feathers) is involved in a drawn out scene involving urinating into a river that the main cast recently drank from. 2. The animation is absolutely beautiful, especially the environments. 3. Some crude throw away jokes. Example: a joke about moving your "nuts." I'm 37. This movie wasn't made for me. It was made for 8 year old boys who will surely love it.

Parent of a 10 year old Written byKnightlyLeo May 5, 2019

Me and my siblings loved it

My siblings and I thought it was funny. I guess it just depends on a parent's views by honestly its awesome. It is crude and have adult humor but kids aren't going to know the meaning unless they've been told about it. It's funny and amusing. The meaning behind it is actually wholesome. The characters are lovable and such. Definitely great to watch with your siblings/kids.

Parent Written byCooldudeben75 March 5, 2019
Parent of a 12 year old Written byKing Asharna January 21, 2019

I DIDNT LEARN ANYTHING ABOUT BIRDS

and y are they agry?
Adult Written byChristopher Ruiz December 4, 2018

The Angry Birds Movie made by Sony is not the perfect movie, but Disney will be perfect Reboot Angry Birds Movie

I don't think The Angry Birds Movie have lot a Inappropriate Humor, Adult Humor, Bathroom Jokes, and swearing words like "Pluck my life." and this movie without any lesson! Sony can let owned Angry Birds Sequel Movies? NO! Disney will getting a perfect Reboot of Angry Birds Movie with Adventure, Family-Friendly, a bit darker, Romance Starting with Red and Stella ;), Action, Reunited with Red's parents like Redmund and Navaeh, Adopted Kid like Luca to raised by Red and Stella, make a good jokes without Adult Humor or Swearing like "Pluck it out", "Pluck my life" "What the pluck", and also make Disney and Pixar Cameos ft Mickey Ears and Luxo Ball, and Also make a Disney-Musical songs

Adult Written byCinister09 August 10, 2018

Thoroughly enjoyed it with my kids

So this is a movie for those with an acquired taste. Some of the jokes aimed at the adult viewers may leave a sour taste in some parents' mouths however I really enjoyed it. My two are 5 and 3, we have watched this so many times now. Every time we are all in hysterics. The fact Peter Dinklage plays Mighty Eagle kills me. This is a crude but funny film for kids and actually the moral behind it all is really nice. Don't knock it until you watch it with an open mind. It's blumming hilarious, especially when Red walks into the anger management class and names the statues... tickled my sides!