All member reviews for The Animatrix

Fans will enjoy it. Others might be bored.

Kid, 11 years old December 29, 2009

not appropiate for kids

There are several war scenes very gory and most of the time humans are shown getting run through by hooks.
Teen, 15 years old Written byevolinag August 26, 2011

Animated episode-movie set in the "Matrix"-universe. Some episodes are good, others are bad. Teens and up.

You need to know that "The Animatrix" is an animé/animated episode movie set in the "Matrix"-universe. Unfortunately, not all of them are good. The movie has its violent moments, such as a head being crushed in strong detail (blood and brain matter), but most of the time the violence is not strong. Teens will be able to handle it, for it is animated. Suitable for viewers 12 and up. Though each episode was animated very well, only episodes 2 and 3 were worth watching and they were terrific. The other episodes are so-so.
Adult Written byekiph July 30, 2015

Not for children.

A LOT of animated gore and robots being destroyed. Depictions of nuclear war. Anatomically correct female robot stripped and destroyed by multiple assailants. 3D woman in a underwear, 3D man in underwear. Naked, but posed to conceal, woman used multiple times to show the robot "conscience." Rows of nude humans, male and female, connected to a wall. Depictions of multiple religions in an indifferent motif.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMavrah333 May 30, 2015

A couple of standouts, a couple had potential, several are unnesecary.

As a fan of the matrix trilogy (albeit more of 1 and 3) I was hyped to see this. However, I was disappointed by the potential not used. Several episodes (world record, beyond, programme) have little to offer, and aren't exactly thrilling. The standout of the box set is the two part second-renaissance, an 18 minute long episode on the origins of the matrix. This is very interesting, and almost at the quality of the better films. However, the length of these episodes (besides second renaissance) is the main drawback. I feel that if it had just final flight, second renaissance, detective story, kids story and matriculated, and with much more time added to allow for action and character building, this could easily stand for a **** rating, rather than a ***. However, between kids story and detective story, the episodes are just confusing and uninteresting. As a fan, this is disappointing, and I wish that the creators of the matrix trilogy had given us more of the action which defined the trilogy, which is sadly underused throughout the box set. ONLY SEVEN GUNS ARE USED IN A SERIES DEFINED BY ITS SHOOTOUTS, FIVE IN THE SAME EPISODE!! I bought this very cheaply on the internet (£0.01!!) so I can't complain, but I recommend hiring this and saving your favourites. I doubt many people besides fans will be entertained, and even fans may find this to be something that doesn't go very far down the rabbit hole. Final Flight of the Osiris: 8/10 - Exciting short episode with slick visuals and cool fight scenes is one of the best, although it lacks character depth. The Second Renaissance (parts 1 and 2): 9/10 - The best of the set, it provides depth into the matrix world with intense fight scenes. Kids Story: 6/10 - Although at times heart pumping, this episode is slow and eventually disappointing. Programme: 4/10 - With nearly no character build and a lost story, this is only worth watching for the brief action scenes. World Record: 2/10 - A confusing mess of slow story and bizarre animation. Beyond: 2/10 - It has a nice idea of the haunted house being a matrix error, but nothing happens and few questions are answered. Detective Story: 6/10 - A return to what the matrix should be, with an interesting premise. If it had had a few more minutes with action, then it might have been one of the set's best. Matriculated: 5/10 - A satisfactory finale, with interesting ideas and some nice action, but not nearly enough to merit a 7 or higher. Final: 5.25/10 - Average.
Teen, 17 years old Written byCloudIsC00L723 August 13, 2014

An ambitious collection of animated shorts based off the Matrix.

Film-by-film ratings: Final Flight of the Osiris (3.5 out of 5): Not much happens. But the CGI animation looks great and the ending is important to the story of the first Matrix movie. The Second Renaissance Parts I & II (3.5 out of 5): A detailed prequel backstory to the trilogy but with a convoluted animation style and no need to be split into two parts. Kid's Story (4 out of 5): A fascinating mini-story involving a seemingly ordinary teen's escape out of the Matrix. I wanted to see more of this character and the art style was really cool. But, a short film is a short film after all. Program (2 out of 5): A stylishly animated filler. Probably the weakest in this collection. World Record (3 out of 5): Another filler, but with even wilder art and a more interesting story. Beyond (4 out of 5): A short that definitely needs it's own standalone film. Colorful, dazzling animation, an interesting main character, and a simple but fun story involving Japanese teens, a "haunted" house, and a glitch in the Matrix. Easily my favorite film in the bunch. A Detective Story (3.5 out of 5): A stylish, moody noir mystery and the only short featuring one of the main characters of the trilogy. The ending doesn't make much sense but it's worth a look. Matriculated (3.5 out of 5): A trippy, bizarrely animated story of a group of humans who try to train and befriend a machine. Not sure if I'd put this at the end of this collection, but it's worth a look. As far as iffy content goes, The Second Renaissance is the most violent film of the bunch and features some nonsexual and not particularly detailed nudity. Kid's Story involves a teen suicide, but nothing more than the actual fall is shown. In Final Flight of the Osiris, a man and a woman have a blind-folded sword fight, which tears their clothes until they're wearing skimpy underwear. This is partially played for laughs. There's also one barely audible use of "f--k" in a panic situation.
Kid, 12 years old January 30, 2014

VIOLENCE abounds, even sexual - interesting concept

Hi, again, I'm Epicboy21, and from the limited stuff of what I saw, it got inappropriate. First one on the disc is fine, with bloodless martial-arts action (reminiscent of the first movie), but the second one contains the following: humans versus robots, with depictions of blood spraying; the next example is that a man's head's crushed into a big splash of blood in close-up, which it then shows his brain, eyes and teeth chatter out from the explosion; the next one is three men laughing, electrocuting a female humanoid robot and ripping her shirt to expose a breast (no nipple is seen, but the third one's the prime example of sexual violence.). Language is non-applicable from what's seen: it's gruesome, but interesting - if you like the Matrix, that is. Watch it if you liked Matrix. By the way, the proper order of the short films are: 1. The Second Renaissance, Part I 2. The Second Renaissance, Part II 3. A Detective Story 4. Kid's Story 5. Final Flight of the Osiris And the following one as individuals throughout the Matrix war pre-Matrix: 6. Program 7. World Record 8. Beyond 9. Matriculated Thankyou for reading.
Adult Written bymasterofthemovies July 13, 2010

perfect for fans of the matrix, while for others....

A very good look into what the story of the Matrix. Some scenes have some nudity (like 4-5 seconds), but the main issue is the violence. While its not extreme its still pretty heavy at certain times. I saw this when i was 13 and was fine with it (mostly cause i was a matrix FAN!)
Parent of a 7 and 14 year old Written bywavymouth October 6, 2009

good for the imagination

beyond is the ultimate episode
Teen, 13 years old Written byKIdX13 May 1, 2009

Good movie, fine for teens.

This is a very good movie, it is comprised of 9 short films, and most of them are fine, but it dose have some bad things: 1. Lots of animated violence, some of it bloody, The film "The second renesosnse" is WAY to mature and deep for young ones. 2. A female robot briefly has he top ripped off. 3. The language is suprisingly mild. SO overall most of the shorts are fine for younger ones, but only mature ones can handle the second renesonse!
Kid, 11 years old March 8, 2009

Ummm...

My brothers and I decided to rent this movie when I was 8. It should be rated R for life life robot nudity.
Adult Written bynotstrict April 9, 2008

common sense pisses me off almost

This movie does not have any nudity what so ever but when somebody was in their underwear but it was not graphic. The most violence is not bad. The only violent thing was when a man got his head squished