All member reviews for The Aristocats

Jazz and hijinks make this Disney cat tale meow.

Parent of an infant and 2 year old Written bymar0271 January 15, 2009

An old favorite

I loved this movie when I was a kis, and was anxious to show it to my little girl when she was old enough. She was a little over 2 when she first saw it, and she loves it. Unfortunately, as usual with Disney, in their effort to appeal to broad age ranges, there is the standard conflict in this Disney movie that scares some little ones. Almost every Disney movie has it, which we are frustrated by. My daughter is almost 3 and loves to watch the movie, but we have to fast forward past the abduction, abandonment, and the brief moment when the kittens can't find their mother. Except for thos moments, it's great for the little ones.
Adult Written byBostonMomof2 April 9, 2008

Nothing to scare sensitive toddlers

My daughter is pretty easily frightened by concepts of loss and malice, like Bambi's mother getting shot or the wicked stepmother trying to poison Snow White. She loves this movie and nothing about it upsets her.
Parent of a 2 year old Written byslm76 September 21, 2009
As far as Disney movies go, this one is pretty mild. The negative elements of the movie are too complicated for a toddler - which involve the drugging of kittens so they will go "night night" and can be relocated to the country-side because the man who does this wants to become first inline to inherit his employer's fortune since the kittens precede him in the employer's will. Once this story line is established at the outset of the movie, the majority of the movie is about the cats' funny and quirky adventures in trying to get back home. When they eventually do return home, a physical fight ensues between the animals and the butler and a pitch fork gets thrown at a cat, but besides that there isn't much violence. The evil character is a goofy butler, who is not that scary compared to other Disney antagonists. For small children, this is a cute, relatively harmless movie.
Parent of a 3 and 3 year old Written bypiper0137 May 7, 2010

Really sweet classic perfect for your preschooler

This is a wonderful movie our family has "rediscovered" since my husband and I were kids. What a cute classic! The animation is wonderful, the cats are very sweet and charming, and the villain is a clumsy butler (not as intimidating as most animated bad guys you'll find in kid flicks). I would say if you are a little concerned about showing your preschooler 101 Dalmatians (Cruella is scary, right?), this could be a good precursor for you.
Teen, 13 years old Written byshanno15 May 25, 2009

My review

This movie was very cute, and colorful but parents should know that there is a bit of cartoonish violance that may be upsetting for sensitive, and younger kids. The butler tried to stab cats with a pitchfork, he drugs the mother cat Duchess and her kittens by putting sleeping pills in there milk. Then he kidnaps them and throws them into a swamp.
Adult Written byrpcvmom April 9, 2008

Cute, fun, mostly mild

My 3 year old loves this movie. I like it too. It's Disney back before the bad guys were really scary. Only 3 things make it not perfect entertainment for young ones: 1. The butler puts something in the cats milk, saying nitey- night. (over my 3's head-she can't read "sleeping pills" on bottle). Butler takes cats away from home so he can inherit their mistresses fortune. (Way over my 3's head).2. Brief appearance by Uncle Waldo, a top-hatted goose missing his tail feathers (you only know he's destined for dinner if you can read)and he's weaving & hiccuping (stereotypical drunk, but not explained.) 3. Physical comedy/violence: Butler (trying to get rid of cats) is kicked in the air by horse, throws pitchfork at cat (pins, but doesn't hurt him) and tries to mail cats to timbuktu in a trunk. Oh, no, it has no educational value. Just lots of endearing appeal. Plot summary: Butler hears he's to inherit after cats (mom & 3 kits), so whisks them away to country so he'll get the fortune. Cats meet a charming alley cat who shows them back to Paris, with adventures along the way. Happy reunion in end. (But butler mailed to Timbuktu.)Animated.
Educator and Parent Written byDee123 July 24, 2012

"yes mama"--obedience role model

I like it when anytime Mama cat calls her kittens they answer with a "yes mama" and obey right away.
Parent of a 3 year old Written bybouba April 4, 2011

Perfect for a 1st DVD at 4 year old!

Love it. The old fashioned version is so cool. Great music, great rythm, you really get that beginning of the century feeling. My daughter's first DVD (aged 3 and a half) LOVED it and still sings the songs a lot. The scene with the 2 dogs are not scary at all, just funny.
Kid, 10 years old November 13, 2010
This was a really cute movie. Duchess is a really good role model for younger kids, since she stays polite and friendly throughout the whole film. The Chinese cat is pretty racist when O'Malley's gang is playing "Everybody Wants to be a Cat", but it will probably go over younger kids' heads. Most of the characters are very funny and have great personalities.
Parent of a 2 and 4 year old Written byS00zay July 9, 2010

classic

My kids really like this movie, and aren't too scared. They crack up everytime when the dogs chase the butler. Also, I think the music is really good.
Educator and Parent of a 5 and 7 year old Written bycelinac January 29, 2010
A mostly middling effort for Disney. Redeemed by terrific work from its voice cast and some jazzy tunes.
Teen, 13 years old Written byDalekanium October 21, 2015

Amazing Disney Movie for Any Age!

First of all, really, Common Sense Media? 3 stars? This is such an amazing Disney movie, and for once doesn't include the normal "princess meets man that saves her" plot. It's comedy gold, and the songs are great as well ("Everyone Wants to be a Cat" is one of the best Disney songs). Anyway, to the actual review. This movie is very cute and perfect for kids of all ages. The Duchess teaches her kittens how to act properly, which is a nice message. Also, the kittens act like actual children (not like other Disney movies where 14-year old princesses act like 40-year olds) and are the cutest you've ever seen! Also, the other characters are hilarious as well- they'll even make adults laugh! Sure, there are the scenes with the abduction, but I don't think you need to hide your child from that. I loved this movie when I was very young, and, sensitive as I was, it didn't bother me that much. It might even offer them a mild view of some real life things that happen, without too big of a scare. Overall, this is an AMAZING movie! Kids of any age can watch it. One of the best Disney movies! :)
Parent of a 17 and 17 year old Written bypoppinsfan August 14, 2015
Adult Written byMidnighthaze94 July 31, 2015

Gets a little annoying for adults, great for kids though

I love that this movie promotes good manners for children. The mother cat teaches her daughter be lady-like and her sons to behave like gentlemen. Even the ally cat in the movie is considerate of the family and helps them get home. Many parents do not teach their children to behave properly anymore, so this movie is a great reminder. I would let a child as young as 2 see this movie, and I would not prevent them from watching the drugging, kidnapping, can't find their mom right away parts either. Children, even very young children, do not need to be coddled that much. If you sit and help explain things to your child, they should be just fine. My parents always just told me he was giving them medicine that would make them fall asleep so he could get rid of them and he could be rich instead of the cats. It made sense to me and definitely didn't traumatize me for life. The only part that made me a little sad as a kid was when the owner realized her pets were gone, but even then, parents, it is okay for your kids to feel a little sad at something, in fact, it's healthy. Let your kids grow into their own person.
Adult Written byDavidKatMan June 12, 2015

Amazing

It was really good. No violence or scary scenes. Laugh out loud villain, and the smoothest cat you'll ever see
Parent Written byerinw2 October 19, 2014
Teen, 14 years old Written byLunaWolf September 8, 2014

One of my faverout disney classics!

This is an amazing movie, fun, with a good plot and some lovely jazzy numbers. The voice cast is perfect and the characters are brilliant! The only things you might want to watch out for is that at the begining the main baddy (A goofy butler) drugs the kittens and their mother. Although most toddlers won't get this, also a goose is seen to be weaving up a street. The cats have many adventures before a fight seen at the end, though isn't too scary, it has a classic disney happy ending, and is a great family movie that everyone will enjoy!
Adult Written byCath12435 May 3, 2014

Calls drunkenness likeable

Two of the cats said they liked the drunken goose especially when he was drunk. The cat O'Mally flirts with the cat called Duchess.
Kid, 9 years old January 22, 2014

The best movie ever!

Loved the movie is great!Also my Favourite one!
Parent of a 4 and 6 year old Written byMamaRo March 17, 2013

just not very good

Don't bother. This film was kind of a waste of time. We definitely wish we hadn't spent $3 on it at the video store. The kids seemed to like it OK but there are so many good things worth watching, why waste two hours of your life on this one.