All member reviews for The Artist

Loving tribute to silent films has a few tense moments.

Adult Written bySynchronicity January 2, 2012

Amazing tribute to Hollywood's golden age is, hands down, the best film of 2011! Perfectly appropriate for older kids who love film.

In this age of CGI, 3D and Technicolor landscapes galore, it's quite strange to see a black-and-white movie in a 1:33 aspect ratio (instead of 16:9 widescreen, the norm these days) that's silent with intertitles about 95% of the time. What's even more surprising is that many are calling it the best film of the year. I couldn't agree more. The Artist is simply delightful, and film fans of (almost) all ages should check this one out. The story has elements from classic films like A Star is Born, Singin' in the Rain and Citizen Kane, yet feels quite original. Between the years 1927 and 1932, a famous film actor named George Valentin gets left out in his studio's transition to "talkies," while Peppy Miller, a young starlet he made famous, gets tons of exposure by starring in them. "Out with the old, and in with the new," the studio's lead executive says, and George gets progressively more distraught, but Peppy ends up saving him from his despair. I won't tell you anything else, because all film lovers and people who are tired of derivative blockbusters need to see this film. Also, despite the PG-13 rating, it actually has very little objectionable content to speak of, and is right on the fence between PG and PG-13. The sparse list of MPAA content descriptors confirms this: a disturbing image (a brief but somewhat intense suicide attempt, but it's interrupted and not very graphic) and a rude gesture (a woman giving a man “the finger”). There's also plenty of smoking and drinking, and while the former is definitely glamourized at times (smoking scenes in black-and-white do look beautiful, after all), it's firmly placed in the 1920s time period that it's set in. The drinking is condemned, as a decision made by an inebriated character ends up putting his life in danger. Overall, though, if you love film and don't mind the fact that it's a silent movie produced in a technologically advanced age, The Artist will delight you. Plus, not only do the human actors put on amazing performances, but the film's canine star, Uggy, is also quite a riot.
Adult Written byterra100 November 23, 2011

Surprisingly entertaining - a delightful film!

Who would ever think watching a silent film would fill you with more joy and entertainment than anything else playing in theaters? Well, I was surprised to realize that "The Artist" is really the most refreshing and delightful film of 2011 that I have seen. Because it is a silent film -- exquisitely done -- your left brain takes a much-needed rest and you are on a freedom ride with your right brain. The film is a breath of fresh air in this regard. The story is lovely. The actors are sensational. The choreography is perfection. You'll laugh, maybe cry. You will be entertained. I love this film!
Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2011

Great!

Awesome! It's really something. This movie is very original! Nobody has ever made a silent movie since Mel Brook's "Silent Movie". It also has a great acting job done by Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo.
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2012

beautiful movie

I love this movie and watched it for the first time on an airplane. First of all, there was no strong language or sex in the movie. The end scene may upset some kids. I strongly think it should be rated PG.
Adult Written byLowe's man March 24, 2014

should've been rated PG

The only reason why it was rated PG-13 that I can think of is the character who tried to commit suicide. Still, kids have heard enough about it that those under 13 can watch if a parent explains this to them. This is a wonderful movie. Not only does the silence provide something different in itself, but it also shows the way Hollywood and the movies used to be. It also deals with sound being introduced, and the fear of change and job loss that came with it. Friendship and the value of working together are shown as well. I would highly recommend this movie to anyone, especially those who want a trip to a different time, or those who just want to see what movies used to be like.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySecondSider April 17, 2013

Ignore the stupid stereotype about silent movies being boring

There are those young teens around my age who say this amazing movie is boring, and when I ask them, they say "It sucks because it's silent!" The worst reason for a movie to be boring. This is a great movie! Just because it was silent doesn't mean it's boring! Get those people to unplug from sound once in a while!
Kid, 9 years old August 16, 2012

Disappointing

This was an ok movie, just ok. It was kind of depressing because the character was so sad all the time and he also was about to kill himslef at the end. I did not enjoy it at all.
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2012

I used to think that silent films weren't good.

Well, I was wrong. The Artist is really awesome, and not just for a silent film, for a movie, too. I loved it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTimStarz09 July 19, 2012

Silent Knockout

The Artist is one of the best movies of the decade, and needs very few words to become that. Except for two particularly intense scenes involving attempted suicide and a burning building respectively, as well as one very brief middle finger, the movie is pretty accessible to most age groups. The issue is most younger children won't be able to appreciate it. For a person who loves movies and has the attention span to appreciate nothing but visuals and music for 2 hours, this is the movie for them.
Parent of a 7 and 15 year old Written byParentReviewz July 15, 2012

Very Well Done. Deserved the Oscars it got!

The Artist is a Very Well Done Film. While it'll mostly attract people familiar with the silent film era, it might also attract some young film fanatics. While this movie is very good and appropriate for kids 10+, it'll probably only interest adults.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytrombone1997 July 2, 2012

A Silent Film for Everyone

There was absolutely nothing wrong with this film. I would have to say it's actually the best movie I've seen in a long time. But to be honest, there isn't that much suggestive material. One character flips another character off and a man attempts suicide but is saved from doing it just in time. But I definitely recommend seeing it. It's marvelous.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2012

11 out of 10

Adult Written byrealistic reviewer June 26, 2012

realistic reviewer's review of the artist

dont get me wrong i dont mind when old tactics are used but i grew up with sound and color and you know what i like it! this movie won 5 oscors one for every person who saw it. call it art, call it a master piece i call it boring a snoze fest. if you like it you like it but realistically its a skip.
Kid, 10 years old June 26, 2012

The best film of 2011

The Artist. This black and white, not to mention silent homage to the films of the 30's and 40's about a silent film actor who quickly becomes lost in the crowd as films with sound, or talkies, are invented, is fine for anyone 12 and older with patience and the ability to enjoy an excellent work of art. In LOTS of dramedys, the characters are people that we don't come to care about (who we are supposed to be rooting for). However, this film has completely developed characters, and director Michel Hazanavicius does a great job with emotion. However, there a few things that parents should watch out for. First, there is frequent smoking, which is featured in lots of the scenes. A character gives another the middle finger. Also, there is a moment where it seems an important character will commit suicide, but nothing happens, and the same person is caught in the middle of a fire. There are a few very mild violent images (they are very comical). Overall this is a movie that deserves it's best picture win at this year's Academy Awards. I give it 5 out of 5 stars, also known as an A+.
Educator and Parent Written byPbekk April 8, 2012

Pretty tame, quite educational for youngsters.

If you want your children to have a good understanding of "the old (old) days," this is a good way to do it. I was disappointed in the ending, because it was so predictable. I really wanted a twist to the ending, but it wasn't there. Oh well. Best picture Oscar? Only because it was a movie about movies...
Adult Written byTony632 March 29, 2012

Brilliant tribute to the golden age of movies

Teen, 13 years old Written byYhooooo March 24, 2012

A real piece of Art

I'm 13 and I saw the Artist at the cinema. This modern, black and white silent film is based on a silent actor, George Valentin, who meets a girl, Peppy Miller. They quickly fall in love. The girl becomes an actor and becomes famous for 'talkies'. George soon loses all his money and they have basically switched places. The film is absolutely amazing and well done. There is a scene where a man gets electrocuted at the very beginning but it isn't really violent and later a man tries to commit suicide. Some people do smoke and drink but I think it is suitable for 7+ kids. Although it is suitable for that age, I don't think any child under 10 should see it because they would find it very hard to understand.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 24, 2012

Best Picture!

this Oscar winner should wow audiences and engage peoples minds. not that much in violence, there are scenes with guns, quicksand, torture, and a large fire. a woman flips the bird and there are some mild cuss words.
Educator Written byArginnon March 20, 2012

It's for kids too!

My 10 year old brother saw this film and he absolutely loved it! (As did I.) A perfect tribute to the silent film era, much recommended!
Kid, 12 years old March 3, 2012

Great

Really great and the best part is that you don't have to worry about language. It's silent