All member reviews for The Artist

Kid, 11 years old December 26, 2011

Great!

Awesome! It's really something. This movie is very original! Nobody has ever made a silent movie since Mel Brook's "Silent Movie". It also has a great acting job done by Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo.
Kid, 12 years old August 16, 2012

beautiful movie

I love this movie and watched it for the first time on an airplane. First of all, there was no strong language or sex in the movie. The end scene may upset some kids. I strongly think it should be rated PG.
Teen, 14 years old Written bySecondSider April 17, 2013

Ignore the stupid stereotype about silent movies being boring

There are those young teens around my age who say this amazing movie is boring, and when I ask them, they say "It sucks because it's silent!" The worst reason for a movie to be boring. This is a great movie! Just because it was silent doesn't mean it's boring! Get those people to unplug from sound once in a while!
Kid, 9 years old August 16, 2012

Disappointing

This was an ok movie, just ok. It was kind of depressing because the character was so sad all the time and he also was about to kill himslef at the end. I did not enjoy it at all.
Kid, 11 years old July 21, 2012

I used to think that silent films weren't good.

Well, I was wrong. The Artist is really awesome, and not just for a silent film, for a movie, too. I loved it!
Teen, 15 years old Written byTimStarz09 July 19, 2012

Silent Knockout

The Artist is one of the best movies of the decade, and needs very few words to become that. Except for two particularly intense scenes involving attempted suicide and a burning building respectively, as well as one very brief middle finger, the movie is pretty accessible to most age groups. The issue is most younger children won't be able to appreciate it. For a person who loves movies and has the attention span to appreciate nothing but visuals and music for 2 hours, this is the movie for them.
Teen, 15 years old Written bytrombone1997 July 2, 2012

A Silent Film for Everyone

There was absolutely nothing wrong with this film. I would have to say it's actually the best movie I've seen in a long time. But to be honest, there isn't that much suggestive material. One character flips another character off and a man attempts suicide but is saved from doing it just in time. But I definitely recommend seeing it. It's marvelous.
Kid, 12 years old June 30, 2012

11 out of 10

Kid, 10 years old June 26, 2012

The best film of 2011

The Artist. This black and white, not to mention silent homage to the films of the 30's and 40's about a silent film actor who quickly becomes lost in the crowd as films with sound, or talkies, are invented, is fine for anyone 12 and older with patience and the ability to enjoy an excellent work of art. In LOTS of dramedys, the characters are people that we don't come to care about (who we are supposed to be rooting for). However, this film has completely developed characters, and director Michel Hazanavicius does a great job with emotion. However, there a few things that parents should watch out for. First, there is frequent smoking, which is featured in lots of the scenes. A character gives another the middle finger. Also, there is a moment where it seems an important character will commit suicide, but nothing happens, and the same person is caught in the middle of a fire. There are a few very mild violent images (they are very comical). Overall this is a movie that deserves it's best picture win at this year's Academy Awards. I give it 5 out of 5 stars, also known as an A+.
Teen, 13 years old Written byYhooooo March 24, 2012

A real piece of Art

I'm 13 and I saw the Artist at the cinema. This modern, black and white silent film is based on a silent actor, George Valentin, who meets a girl, Peppy Miller. They quickly fall in love. The girl becomes an actor and becomes famous for 'talkies'. George soon loses all his money and they have basically switched places. The film is absolutely amazing and well done. There is a scene where a man gets electrocuted at the very beginning but it isn't really violent and later a man tries to commit suicide. Some people do smoke and drink but I think it is suitable for 7+ kids. Although it is suitable for that age, I don't think any child under 10 should see it because they would find it very hard to understand.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 24, 2012

Best Picture!

this Oscar winner should wow audiences and engage peoples minds. not that much in violence, there are scenes with guns, quicksand, torture, and a large fire. a woman flips the bird and there are some mild cuss words.
Kid, 12 years old March 3, 2012

Great

Really great and the best part is that you don't have to worry about language. It's silent
Teen, 15 years old Written byShoopasmawoopas February 28, 2012

A fresh breath of old-time air!

This film is phenomenal, and should be definitely classed as a family film. There is one instance of a middle finger used comically, a few tense moment and the tone of the film becomes slightly depressing. But despite any of this the film is toned towards everyone and when I have children I will let them watch it as soon as they're old enough to understand it. This is an amazingly entertaining, funny and warm-hearted piece of art that everyone, young or old, should indulge in!
Kid, 11 years old February 24, 2012

The Artist is a great movie for ages 10-100!

The Artist is a surprisingly good movie for tweens, teens, and adults alike. It's not as boring as many kids perceive it to be-- I was prepared for a full-on snore-fest. I was greeted with an exciting and mildly emotional comedy about a silent movie star who turns into a train wreck. Points of parental interest? The main character drinks and smokes, sometimes excessively. There is one use of d*** (on a title card) and I think someone is flipped off. There's no romance except for some flirting. The most violent scene, about a fire, is more tense than violent. It turns into a warm and fuzzy moment when a very cute dog saves his owner, who is caught in the blaze. Also, in another tense scene, the main character is bordaline committing suicide. Overall, please don't let these points stop you from letting your child see this Oscar-nominated film. I guarantee you will love it!
Kid, 10 years old February 16, 2012

WATCH!!!!!!!!!!! WATCH!!!!!!! WATCH!!!!!!!!!!

THIS IS THE BEST MOVIE OF ALL TIME
Teen, 17 years old Written bymardoggie2013 February 10, 2012

Absolutely perfect.

This movie is likely the best in years. It's so perfect, and it's destined to be a classic. I don't want to spoil it for you, go see it! You'll be glad you did!
Kid, 11 years old February 7, 2012

The Artist, painted my life with understanding and fascination!!!

The Artist is a must see!!! So creative and keeps you at the edge of your seat!! In my opinion, its safe just make sure your kids under stand those days with the drinking, also with going deaf (crazy), suicidal thoughts (in the begging its hard but its a movie in a movie). It may seem rough from what I typed but its not bad. Completey enjoy the night get out and watch this movie that one a few golden globes!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written bySpielberg00 February 4, 2012

Such a good movie! the PG-13 is kind of tame.

My rating: PG [borderline with PG-13] for some violent images, smoking and a brief crude reference. Violence: 2.5/5 - A non-graphic electrocution scene; a man attempts suicide in a fire and with a gun. Drugs: 3/5 - Smoking.
Kid, 11 years old February 3, 2012

Black and White Film Entertains

This black and white film entertains. It should not have been rated PG-13, it should have been rated a high PG. There is a lot of smoking, but that shouldn't be a problem for kids. There are some mildly intense scenes including an attempted suicide, but that also shouldn't be a problem. There was a woman pointing the finger in the beginning of the film, but kids will most likely not notice that. It has mild positive messages and role models. This will attract the Academy and I am almost certain that this will win Best Picture. In my opinion, this is not my favorite film of 2011 (Hugo and War Horse are), but it's definitely in my Top 5. Don't underestimate black and white!
Teen, 13 years old Written byhowrselover January 29, 2012

!!!!!

This is such a great, wondrous movie! And they pulled it off with no sound or color! Come on, this deserves 5 stars! A 6-yr-old I know looooooooooooooved it. And she usually can't sit through a movie with sound or color. Everyone should see it in my opinion.