All member reviews for The Avengers

Heroes work together in explosive comic book adventure.

Parent of a 5, 8, 11, and 14 year old Written byMidnightMom May 5, 2012

BEST SUPERHERO MOVIE OF ALL TIME!! Mom & KIDS AGREE!

The Best Family Movie we could see. I went at midnight to see with my 14 yr old. We loved it so much, I took my husband and 2 younger kids the next day. My 5 yr old and 8 yr old loved it. It is violent but its not gory. My kids also saw Thor and both Iron Man and they loved and I didnt have any issues with them. depends on your kids..we are a family who are familiar with martial arts and ufc and video games...but I am very particular about what my children see. Only Issues... I think i heard two uses of the word A**. Barely noticeable, and I never heard anything worse, unless you still consider Hell a bad word (to hear at least) There is like Zero sexuality here...I dont even think Black Widow is flirty like another reviewer mentioned. Unless you consider hulks bare chest...:) Violence is shooting, martial arts, punching, explosions, aliens and giant creatures from outer space, its like a cross between star wars and superman. If you let your kids watch Star Wars I dont think this is any worse.. Biggest problem...for the little ones, for my 5 year old it was a bit slow for him at the beginning and in between the cool stuff...(like plot and foreshadowing :) but he managed to sit through the 2 hour 23 min movie, as did a 4 yr old right behind us without a peep. If you son isnt used to this long of a movie, I wouldnt try it, but mine really wanted to see it with us and did fine through Thor and Iron Man. He is almost 6. I recommend perfectly for 8 yrs old and up..I cant imagine limiting this to PG 13, it really is almost PG to me.
Parent of a 5 year old Written bymdoyle May 5, 2012

Great movie for kids and adults!

One of the best Marvel films yet! After doing research on the movie, we decided to take our avid 5 yr old superhero fan to see it and he loved it. Beforehand, we prepped him for what be might see/ hear - some bad words, good guy die, some shooting and we had the agreement he might have to close his eyes at times. The violence ended up being more action than violence. It really is all about superheros showing off their superhero moves. The battles are not too often or too long and they are mainly with robots/ aliens so there is really no blood. Storyline and acting was great as there is content at the adult and kid level. Some good messaging created as all the superheros had to learn to work together as a team. This felt more like a PG movie than a PG13 film - I have seen cartoons on TV that are more violent. If you have seen the earlier Thor, Ironman, CA and Hulk films, you will enjoy how all the storylines are intertwined. I rated this for 6 and up, but I think it can go younger - depending on the kid and parent. As an adult and mom, I really enjoyed the movie!
Teen, 14 years old Written byThorthegodofthunder May 2, 2012

How AWESOME The Avengers is...

My favorite Marvel movie so far! Kudos to Joss Whedon who directed this film. I loved how every character got their moment to shine and that it wasn't focused on one character.Everything was just great 5/5
Adult Written bylulabee May 12, 2012

Violent

I found this movie to be quite violent. In the opening first scenes several people are shot and one is killed by having a knife thrown at his neck. A few scenes later another character prepares to pull out the teeth of one of the Avengers. He doesn't do it, but the scene is somewhat disturbing. In the middle of the movie the evil character slams a man down on a table and takes a spinning circular tool with blades and presses it onto the man's eye. It is not graphically shown, but is quite a gruesome concept. Another man is killed by having a sword shoved in his back. Countless people are shot and killed in this movie. I don't know why movie makers think that kids should see this much violence.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byswissmoon June 25, 2012

Extremely violent, no worthy positive role models

Unfortunately I brought my 8 year old to see it, and I regret it. I found it to be absolutely dripping in violence. Is this what we've become as a society? There was practically no storyline or character development except to further the scenes of murder, vengeance, and attack. Shame on Marvel for pushing this on kids. Utterly void of any positive message. The folks who enjoyed this movie with their 4-10 year olds- well, you've got to wonder.... They look at their child's smiling face during the film, but don't question (or deny?) what the children are absorbing in their brains.
Parent Written bythe58thrule May 4, 2012

Really, it's PG-13

My son is 9 years old and loves movies with action and violence like Star Wars. However, five minutes into this movie he was scared by the amount and type of violence and asked to leave. Sorry, I can't give a full review--except that the PG-13 is probably correct in this case. Don't take your younger ones.
Educator and Parent Written byPreventionMom May 11, 2012

Don't miss this movie if you love superheros/actions!

My husband and I took our 5 yr. old and our 3 yr. old children to see The Avengers. They absolutely loved it! They love to watch the old superhero cartoons on Netflix, and my 5 yr. old knew the back stories of the characters better than I did! My 3 yr. old was scare a few times during the main fight scene at the end, because "The Hulk was big and yelled." Interestingly, a good guy scared him!!! But other than those few moments, his eyes were glues on the screen the whole time. First time he sat through a movie at the theater the whole way through! The few incidents of language were minor enough that I don't even remember them and my kids didn't notice it at all. My husband and I are rather selective of what our kids watch, and don't let them watch that many shows, but definitely plan on buying this movie when it releases on DVD to watch again and again!
Parent Written bylove122900 May 7, 2012

sneaky bad language

This movie was a typical action movie that most older kids would enjoy. The only part that really bothered me was that halfway through the film the villan, Loki, uses a very vulgar British slang word "quim" to describe Black Widow. This is equivalent to the "c-word" in the US. Most people in the US don't know what this means and in an interview the producer said that since most Americans don't know what it means, the PG-13 rating is ok. I wouldn't want my kids repeating it, whether they know what it means or not and it offends me that the film producers/writers/whatever were trying to "sneak" some R-rated language into the film.
Parent of a 10 year old Written byallietx May 28, 2012

Unfortunately it isn't for pre-teens...

I wish this movie was appropriate for 10 years olds! So many kids in my son's 4th grade class have already seen it, the same kids whose parents let them do the more violent video games too (sigh). Alas, it isn't for 10 year olds. Lots of peril and violence and even a scene with a captive interrogation that implies torture is about to be employed (with the tools and everything). Lots of killing and violence and threat and peril. Some humor I wouldn't consider appropriate for a 10 year old. It is super loud and one action/violence scene after another-- almost comically so. I'm a little shocked to see people who think it is fine for little kids, though there were certainly 2-8 year olds in the theater when we saw it. Oh- and the previews before the movie? All of them too violent and or sexy for a 10 year old. Before the movie even started I was super relieved I had decided to preview it first, and at the end of the movie I was just as glad. In a few more years, we'll enjoy this on dvd as part of family movie night! :)
Adult Written byFunkytrain23 May 2, 2012

The sensible thing

This was a fantastic movie but very very violent.this also has a drug reference my eldest wanted to see it so I took him it was fine.
Parent Written byMomandpsychologist May 31, 2012

Well done but significant reservations for kids - from a mom of 9 and 11 yo kids

It's a very well-done movie and highly enjoyable with very good effects. Despite the near-constant action, it might be a bit long for some kids with attention span challenges, or who bore easily. The movie is really for kids who know and love the Avenger stories, since the Avenger characters are brought skillfully and memorably to life. These amazing larger-than-life superhero characters, their powers, personalities, the way you trust them to come through, and the way they work together to fight the bad guys - are the best part of the movie. Without the superhero superstars, it would be a fairly standard action-packed-battle-filled-good-guys-come-together-to-save-the-planet-from-futuristic-outer-space-evil-sociopath-and-win-against-impossible-odds gig. Things for parents to be aware of: 1. the action and fighting are intense and non-stop for significant portions of the movie. Most of it is straight out of video games and standard issue, but there are some upsetting scenes. Most notably, a good guy is brutally stabbed through the chest, and dies as you watch, his eyes open all the while. Some evil alien space monsters could also be scary for the younger set or kids who frighten easily. Also, some of the scenes are intense, with heart-pounding fight action; 2. while there is no actual sex or nudity, there are some suggestive moments and one scene with significant flirtation and innuendo; 3. All female characters are extremely sexy, and dressed in skin-tight clothing. Black Widow's sex appeal is obvious and is one of her most powerful tools, which I personally found inappropriate and unnecessary in a movie for kids. One of the early scenes shows her sitting tied up in a chair, very scantily clad, while three male captors tower over her, torture, and play with her. True, she kicks their butts and turns out to be as powerful a fighter as any of her colleagues. But I found that scene, the sexy appearance of every female character, and the way that female sex appeal was used a a commodity, to send some pretty unhealthy messages for young girls in the audience.
Educator and Parent Written byHuggz697 May 7, 2012

Awesome movie for adults! Age appropriateness depends on the kid.

I LOVED this movie! I think this movie is great for adults and iffy for young kids. While I always watch superhero movies in the theater, I have my son (8 years old) wait for DVD mostly because of the intense action. He has seen all the movies except Iron Man 1 & 2 and the second Hulk movie. The Avengers was fine as far as the action (not too bloody), minimal language, and no note worthy sexual scenes (shocking). My son did get scared of the Hulk scenes (he's always been a little scared of the Hulk, though he loves him). He closed his eyes for 2 big battles. So my advice is to just know your kid and what they can handle. Although he got scared, he was glad he watched the movie, but I may have waited had I known it would bother him. Just know it's intense and long, over 2 1/2 hours with previews. And don't forget to stay for the 2nd extra scene at the very end of the credits :)
Adult Written byjoshua martinez May 6, 2012

13 and up.

The Avengers is one of the best action adventure super hero movies ever stars with every super hero in the movie Robert Downey Jr plays as iron man, Mark Ruffalo plays as the hulk, Chris Evans plays as captain america, Chris Hemsworth plays as thor, Jeremy Renner plays as expert archer Hawkeye and Scarlett Johansson plays as skilled assassin Black Widow this super hero movie will surely entertain your kids but parents you need to know that The Avengers has a lot of intense super hero violence some mild language used and a little bit of drinking such as champagne the message is about teamwork and the role models are that Steve Rogers (Captain America) is always upstanding and squeaky clean; Tony Stark (Iron Man) is snarky and selfish until matters come to a head; Bruce Banner (Hulk) fights his inner demons by trying to help others and avoiding conflict; Natasha Romanoff (Black Widow) and Clint Barton (Hawkeye) have very checkered pasts but do the right thing when it matters; and Thor tends to act first and ask questions later but has a strong sense of honor and duty.
Parent Written byRobert Zaleski May 6, 2012

Dull Plot, fine for kids

This isn't a new Family favorite since there's not a lot of plot here, that's my biggest personal complaint. Overall though, it was fine. I must admit, this movie wasn't my thing and I just went to see it as a night out with some friends (Our kids like having the volume control at home and hate theaters). So it's not a classic like Star Wars or others, but I certainly feel it's safe for my boys to watch and run around emulating the heroes afterwards.
Teen, 16 years old Written byRobsterReviews July 1, 2012

Marvel's The Avengers

Really good but not perfect comic book movie is no Dark Knight but still good
Teen, 14 years old Written byrugbyrules May 14, 2012

Awesome and clean too!

Awesome movie. I love Robert Downey Jr. Its was funny, entertaining, and adventure filled. You have to have seen the super hero movies to understand some of it though. A little violent, hardly any cussing, no sexuality. Shouldnt have been rated PG-13. It should be PG Awesome
Adult Written bymom loves movies May 8, 2012

Really great movie, some 7-8 year old kids may be more ready then others

I took my son who is 9 years old to the movie after we talked about that we would be seeing some action violence scene's. He really understood nothing we were seeing was real or would ever be real, but would still be very exciting. And was it ever exciting. I think some kids in this age group might be okay to handle the level of intensity, while others may be more sensitive. The actors playing the characters were great, the dialogues fun and engaging. There is one sort of main character good guy that does not survive and that scene may be one of the more difficult one for kids. You know your kid(s) use your judgement watch some previews they really show the level of action violence that is going on in the movie. There is no nudity or any victimization of women, as a matter of fact it shows women can be strong and part of a powerful team.
Adult Written byAmericanplaya217 May 5, 2012

Best!

the way the costumes are made is counted as sexuality and the way the hulk is half naked though no body parts are shown besides half of his behind. Lots of violence towards the action. A toast of champagne is made and iron man fixes a drink for himself. Has adult language throughout the film. Boring in the first hour. The super heroes are role models because they are working together to defeat and evil force. The movie was really good i do recommend it. A talk of "weed" in the film. Black widow is as well flirty throughout the movie make sure your children dont use that kind of language.
Kid, 12 years old December 20, 2012

Fun & Fantastic

The Avengers - This movie went through fast, even though it's almost two and a half hours. The violence, isn't really that bad. It is fast-paced, but the worst thing that I can remember is Loki using some instrument to pluck someone's eyeball out (not shown). While that may be too much for a few kids, it is a very short scene and doesn't show any of it. This is a fantastic movie that I think anyone 11+ could see, and while the violence continues, there are plenty of funny/stress relieving moments in it, and I believe your kid will enjoy it, if you let him enjoy it. The worst language is d-mn, h-ll, and a-s. While the movie does have somewhat of a slow beginning, it picks up, and you find yourself enjoying yourself more and more.
Parent Written byI have 2 boys May 20, 2012

Fine for 8 or 9 years and up - kids loved it, for me it was so-so

For this one I have a lot of data because we were with a group of boys, of various ages (two 8 yo, three 11 yo, and a 12 yo), along with a total of 3 adults. The boys all loved it, including the 8 year olds, one of whom is sometimes a bit sensitive to violence. In general, there is none of the extreme nastiness of the Batman and Spiderman movies, and it is not as violent as some of the Star Wars and Indiana Jones. Yes, the body count is high, but it's bare-able. HOWEVER, even compared to Iron Man, the plot is very light. For an adult, it is a mediocre movie at best, so I would try to get some other parent to go... (ie, 2 stars); for the kids, it's a "don't miss it" (4 stars).