All member reviews for The Bible

Biblical reenactments are theatrical and very violent.

Adult Written bymoviemaker201 March 28, 2013

Wow!

I was amazed. For Christians, this will provide a channel for them to relate with their faith's ancestry and to witness the bible as it is. Regardless, the action sequences are reason enough to enjoy this story of love, hate, greed, sex, and power. We start out at Noah's Ark, witnessing a montage of The Creation Story, Adam and Eve's Temptation, and The Murder of Abel. From that point on, we are sent on a quest comprised of 30 to 60 minute long tales about the Israelites and their rises and falls, all in a two - hour episodes. Violence: 9/10 Remember, this is the Bible as it is. So naturally, there are tons of violent acts. Lots of intense battle sequences and suspenseful scenes throughout. A man is implied to be mauled by lions. A man gets stabbed in the throat. (We see blood gurgling from his lips.) A suicide. Infants and young children are slaughtered. Several beatings. An implied beheading or two. Slaves brawl for the entertainment of their master. Graphic crucifixions that are torturous to watch. (People are nailed by the feet and hands to a wooden cross and are beaten and whipped to death.) Sex: 5/10 Sex is implied. A man watches a woman bathe. Women are implied to be prostitutes. Some kissing. A man has a woman's husband killed in battle in order to cover up adultery. Language: 3/10 Colorfully worded insults.People are made fun of because of ethnicity and religion. Drugs: 3.5/10 Men are implied to be slightly drunk. Overall, this is a great show, but it is not advised for kids 10 and under. See you next time!
Adult Written byamom1st March 13, 2013

Take care, this is not Sunday School.

Okay...this is a very difficult one to review. Having seen several episodes I feel I can attempt it now. We made the mistake of allowing our children to watch the first one with us. And it left them with more questions than answers. I think for children, they may not be able to read between the lines. It almost looked(in this production) liked God was being too harsh to these people, not at all the loving God we have been teaching them about. Of course this opened some good conversations on how our family views the Bible. For us, the violence/sexuality was too much. When it says TV-14, BELIEVE it! We have seen babies being tossed in the water to die, sheep's necks being sliced open, whippings, beatings, holy men's necks being cut open, a woman bathing while a man watched, adultery, the sounds of painful childbirth, a woman being drug off by invaders, a woman referred to as a who*e. And believe me, I realize most of this DID take place in the bible, but the way they chose to portray it in this movie is too intense for children under 14. I would recommend screening it for yourself, before sharing it with your children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBluesky123 March 20, 2013

Awesome Show!

I think this is a great series! It lacks explanation on what it's showing, though, so it's helpful to have a bible on hand while watching this show to follow along. There is a lot of violence which most teens can handle, but some of it to me was a little disturbing. But overall, great series!
Teen, 17 years old Written bysarahr_777 April 4, 2013

Great!

I think this was an AMAZING series. I saw it on the History Channel, it was such a good movie. It helped show many interesting yet informative stories in the Bible. However, There were some scenes that i think went a little too detailed with things that didn't need to be shown into such depth, especially with an audience that may involve younger children watching with their families. Overall i thought it was a pretty good series.
Teen, 14 years old Written byAbe1998 March 14, 2013

Good show, not 100% true to the Bible however

Pretty accurate show based on the Bible. However, it's not exactly like the Bible, unfortunately. There were some parts that were changed (for example, in the story of "David and Goliath," instead of David going down to the river to get the rocks, he just picked up a few stones were he was standing. In the story of "The Fiery Furnace," the guards didn't burn up like it said in the Bible. There is also little reference to the Holy Spirit, which of course is a big role in the Bible and the Spiritual life.) The violence is pretty strong, including disturbing imagery and many fighting scenes with punches, spurts blood, weapons, etc; one scene shows people getting their throats slit (blood trickles very visibly down this one man's neck,) a giant is beheaded (while not too graphic, you can see his silhouette and blood dripping from the wound,) and a man commits suicide by falling on his own sword (blood comes from his mouth when he does so.) As far as sexual themes go, there are prostitutes, references to having kids, childbirth, and an episode Samson and Delilah lay in bed together loving each other (it sort of made me feel uncomfortable, but there was no nudity or sex.) Adultery, and whores are mentioned, and Abraham is seen coming out of a tent with a woman lying in the bed with no shirt on (only her bare backside is visible however.) No language at all. Overall a pretty good show that I would recommend for ages 13+
Kid, 11 years old November 13, 2014

Gripping miniseries is very violent

Violence- 5 (Strong Violence)
Adult Written byYoMammasLDS March 31, 2013

Not the best adaptation. At. All.

In my opinion, as a student of the KJV of the bible, the depictions of biblical stories are wildly inaccurate, glossing over and rewriting the important events they claim to present. I find ihe inaccuracies a HUGE disappointment; for those who are familiar with the Bible, watching this show is like listening to fingernails scratch across a chalkboard. We stopped watching after arguing with the television through two episodes. If you love the Bible and are familiar with t the stories depicted in this show, you may find it grating on your sensibilities, and, like us, arguing with the television as well as feeling a deep disappointment that the stories you, too, cherish, were poorly translated to a television show. Or, like my devout sister, you may love it. Just be forewarned.
Parent of an infant, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, and 18 year old Written bymykidsarebabies April 14, 2015

1 MAY GIVE IT A CHANCE

GOING TO BUY THIS MOVIE AND GIVE IT A CHANCE. MY 15+ KIDS LOVE GORE BUT THEY ARE CHRISTAIN I TOUCHED THEM TO LOVE JESUS
Kid, 10 years old December 8, 2014

GOOD BUT DISTURBING. IF YOU HAVE A MATURE 10

This tells about the bible but is very violent. It is apparently true which is not that bad and it teaches kids who go to church. It is a great show. It is rated tv-pg. RED 0 -9. ORANGE 10-12. Green 13+
Teen, 13 years old Written byShadow21 December 6, 2014

Awesome lessons spoiled with graphic violence

First off, I don't know what it means by DVD release. It's a series, and it's rated TV-14, not NR. I think it's a really great show, but its flooded with bloody violence, starting from Samson destroying the Phillistines, to Jesus being crucified. In many episodes, people get their eyes taken out, throat cut, some result to cannibalism(you can see people getting dragged away while others eat the flesh off of a human bone), and some get bloody lashings. Also, it has a kind of airy slowness like you get when you see an action film in theaters, and it makes the violence seem a lot more graphic. TV-14 is right.
Kid, 12 years old June 5, 2014

Bible

This is the truth showing Gods great glory. Everyone should see this it is amazing and inspiring.
Kid, 12 years old April 22, 2014

Great Depiction of Biblical Events Staying True to the Scriptures

This accurately goes through most of the bible and I never get bored of watching it. Crucifixion is brutal.
Teen, 14 years old Written byploopy45 June 6, 2013

Wonderful!!! !

Great show! A good one for any Christian. Can be scary though.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymovie/gamefan April 24, 2013

the bible

its just violence this show has but it was okay i guess
Parent of an infant year old Written bySunshine75 March 13, 2013

Pretty Good Story

It gives a very basic understanding of the bible which I think is appropriate for a large and diverse viewing audience. If you have had some seminary experience you will notice differences in the text and this tv account. I would not suggest you take it as literal as you would the actual "word". Overall a good depiction I have enjoyed watching so far.
Kid, 11 years old March 10, 2013

Awesome!

I'm really glad to know that the people who made this did a really good job of making it. I mean this was just great. It was graphic and violent,but it's the bible and it was true. I'm a kid and I watched this,and I think all the christian kids should too. :) God Bless Those Who Watched This!
Kid, 9 years old March 10, 2013

BEAUTIFUL!

Oh, wow. This is in fact very violent, but this is what Christian kids need to know. They need to know what has happened in the Bible. This is one of the best shows i have ever seen in my entire life! I think anyone what can understand the Bible as a book should watch this show.