All member reviews for The Birds

Classic Hitchcock horror film still gives the chills.

Kid, 9 years old February 16, 2011

ok i will give you a Brief explanation about the BIRDS if you are a parent you should know this this show has violence and disturbing content that some viewers may not like it also has a few bad language parts. theres only 1 or 2 gory parts the baddest one is when the lady walks in and sees the guy with his eyes plucked out and blood all over his eye sockets he also has cuts and scars this movie may be old u may think its old wont be that bad well i got 2 words for you THINK AGAIN.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJaysnake July 26, 2011

Great movie. But not too scary.

The birds is a very good movie. It has lots of violence but the movie has a great, well thought out story to it instead of just mindless violence like some movies. There is a tiny bit of mature but its very brief and well hidden. It is pretty violent and bloody but nothing over the top. It's kinda cheesy so it isn't terrifying. Overall parents and mature kids can enjoy this movie.
Kid, 11 years old June 18, 2011

Good movie-- Little gore, no sex, and nothing very iffy!

I saw this movie, and didn't expect it to be too scary. The only part that freaked me out was when the woman found her father dead in his home, and the birds had pecked his eyes out. It's ok for kids 13+ and if your child is a movie buff (like me) they could probably take it at 10-11+
Kid, 12 years old February 18, 2013

READ THIS BEFORE YOU LET YOUR KIDS WATCH THIS!!!!!

Ok, I'm 12 and here is what I think of the birds: Obviously since its an Alfred Hitchcock film its gonna have some violence or in this case, a lot of violence. There are no problems with sex, nudity, really bad language (a few quick d words and a what the h*ll, but very brief), or inappropriate situations. The violence however is something that you should be cautious of. The birds peck people (adults and kids) and you can see blood trickle down peoples heads. But its not too bad, you can definately tell its not real (well to me) and its never too bad except for two parts, one where a school girl falls and breaks her glasses trying to escape the birds and as shes helped up you see her face has about four long red streaks from the birds claws. And the other time the main character hides in a clear phone booth and a man with about five bloody streaks on his face presses up against the glass for a quick second or two. But I must say, overall the blood was not very gory at all. Characters arms and bare legs often are shown with bloody streaks, but to me that's not a big deal. The worst and most disturbing part of the movie is when Lydia goes into a house to find her friend Dan (it sounds like she says dad but its Dan) and they show him sitting up dead with bloody streaks and his face is all bloody and (warning, this may sound pretty gross to you!) His eyeballs are pecked out by the birds and you only see bloody eyesockets (yikez! Have kids cover eyes when they zoom in on it! I accidentally looked when my mom said not too .....oops) that's all for violent content. Oh, and this is kind of smoking/ violent content, a man lights a cigar after gasoline spills around him and he drops the match and blows up. Thankfully they don't show him up close, just a big explosion. Characters smoke often (a good thing to tell your children is that they didn't know smoking was dangerous when they made the movie, that's what my momma does! ;)) and one or two men are shown drinking and drunk (I think) . And like I said before, a few very quick d words and h words. But overall, the plot of the movie was very well put together and I loved it!! Remember that it IS after all a horror movie, and for a horror movie, its not that bad. ;) despite all the negative stuff I said, the movie is cute and funny before the birds attack and characters are very loveable (only one or two main people die) SPOILER : if you want to warn your kids ahead of time who dies, its Dan, Anna (your daughter will most likely end up liking her....I did! Shes a teachers and very nice), and some random guy from the store. SPOILER IS OVER! so, age wise....think of it this way, I'm twelve and a girl and did not any problems whatsoever with it (only the eyeball pecked out part, blech!) And my brother is ten and liked it so I say definately no to eight and under and depending on how mature and "exposed" your 9-12 year old is you decide, and 13 and up is fine! I hope my review helped you!!!! :)
Kid, 9 years old August 1, 2010

goodbirdsmovie

good movie lot of drinking and smoking one person's car and around him catches on fire because of smoking and a gasoline spill. dissapointingly, a main charecter goes crazy and one gets killed by the birds. no happy, joyful endings like you folks were expecting.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpalko June 19, 2010

Had me captured!

Perhaps the scariest movie I've ever seen (Though I haven't seen too many scary movies;)) It is a masterpiece and a classic. One particular violent scene with a man with scars and blood over him and you briefly see that his eyes are gouged out. And other violent scenes are kids and adults being pecked by them (not a lot of blood shown). Their is not a lot of language and just a few slight innuendoes. Great movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byPunkchic June 1, 2009

Not so scary to me...

Well I saw this movie with my mom and dad on TCM. This movie was really not that scary to me. But my mom said when it first came out it kinda creeped her out. I guess it depends on the person who is seeing it. The birds attack people many times, a woman goes in shock because a bird attacked her, etc. It might freak the little ones a bit.
Kid, 10 years old October 14, 2011

Don't Bother

this movie was really bad. It had an awful ending and it wasn't suspenseful or scary at all. I was 10 when I saw this movie and I was laughing the whole time. Don't bother to watch.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHorror and sy-fi fan April 24, 2011

Best for Tweens.

Amazing movie, personally my fav by Hitchcock. A little too much scenes with a drunk man and a man with his eyeballs pecked by birds.
Kid, 12 years old March 15, 2011

Awesome horror flick;still pretty scary for tweens.

Whoo! This movie was scary. There's one gory part in which a man's eyeballs are pecked out. I think this movie is a little bit easier to handle than most horror movies, because it doesn't look real at all. However, the theme might frighten younger kis, and it's still a little disturbing for teens. A great "first" horror movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written bycheese-process September 3, 2010

Great horror movie considering it was from 1963!

Great classic film! The effects were fantastic considering it was made in 1963! The first 45 minutes was way too long and boring, though. But the rest of it was much bloodier than I expected--lots of disturbing images. However the ending was very unusual, and it was originally supposed to end differently. (and that would have been better)
Teen, 13 years old Written byPainter567 November 22, 2009

I saw this movie afraid that it would be scary, but really, its an old movie and nothing really scary images are shown, but some are disturbing and not for young kids. I could take this movie, and I'm a huge wimp when it comes to scary movies.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySpielberg00 June 4, 2011

Not quite the best Hitchcock, but it's pretty high up there!

My rating: PG-13 for some violence including a disturbing bloody image, and for smoking throughout.
Teen, 14 years old Written bylucas201 March 21, 2011

it was ok

It didnt even scare me,i could easily tell that they were fake birds by just looking at them but i thought it was good.
Teen, 15 years old Written bymongofa July 27, 2010

Awesome but creepy

This movie has great special effects for its time. It still gives me the creeps. Not for young kids.
Kid, 11 years old April 7, 2010

Great Movie

Very good movie. Some disturbing images, like when the birds attack the school children. One of the girls is seriously injured. Some scenes have lots of blood and some have like a drip of blood. Some kissing not that it matters much, but barely any except for 1 or 2 scenes.
Parent Written byPlague June 9, 2010

The Birds

A classic, near perfect horror for teens and parents to enjoy.
Adult Written bytommysportsgirl April 9, 2008