All member reviews for The Blair Witch Project

'90s horror movie isn't gory but is still terrifying.

Adult Written byZoeB April 26, 2014

A must for any horror fans, but otherwise kids tread carefully

I will start off by saying that the film is NOT true, but the filmmakers did an extremely great job of making it believable that it was (if you don't believe me, look at the end credits, it will say the 'this film is fictional' jargon). I'm quite insensitive to horror films; I love Saw, A Nightmare On Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre mostly for the depth of characterisation. I didn't think that this film would scare me as much as it did and the reason for that is purely because it is a very psychological film. The legend and backstory behind the Blair Witch is conveyed extremely well and since you are seeing the situations through the eyes of a video camera and three terrified teenagers, it just really gives it that edge. I don't think that there is too much swearing, because in all honesty, it accurately portrays three extremely frightened teenagers which would be doing that in that situation. As the events which happen to them get worse, it shows progressive worsening states of mind, with the female of the group, Heather Donahue, doing the famous confession scene on camera. I first watched this when I was around 14 years old; I'm now 18 and it is still a film I cannot watch at night. If you have had children that were not particularly bothered by watch Paranormal Activity, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and The Number 23, then they will probably not be frightened by this. It really does depend on the person; many people I know were not one bit terrified by this. As further warnings (WITH SPOILERS), there are some quite disturbing scenes, for example, hearing children laughter at night, the disappearance of one of the teenagers, a package arriving outside the tent and a freaky finale.
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2014

no need to not allow child to watch

i watched this movie and it was rather stupid they got lost in the woods here noises in the night and get scared at one point heather is being chased down but no blair witch is there and the quality was horrible you could barely see it i would say its a good starter horror film. other then swearing good movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIndywinitall December 12, 2012

Doesn't Compare Anymore

The movie is not as horrific as current horror movies. Language and smoking.
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

Parents should know that...

The movie is violent in a different way than Friday the 13th and Hellraiser, but it's still violent and has some hard language.
Teen, 15 years old Written byhusker97 March 28, 2012

i dont even know why its called a horror movie

the only thing that was realy bad about this movie was the swearing, other than that nothing realy that scary, u dont see anything and its more or less a girl screaming in your face for the whole fricken movie. Definatly not what i thought it was going to be
Teen, 15 years old Written bymaximumdrumz December 16, 2011

Not an entertaining movie

This movie is extremely boring and not scary whatsoever. Three stupid kids get stuck out in the woods and can't manage to stop fighting long enough to find their way out before getting attacked by some creepy "witch" that we never see. If your kids can handle some semi scary movies or a haunted house then they will be fine to watch this.
Educator Written bybugmenot September 11, 2011

Really Good Movie!

I really liked this film! It was scary and thrilling without being over-the-top bloody and gory. Yeah, the language is bad, but who cares? Newsflash: TEENAGERS CURSE. The actors did a fantastic job; they were really convincing. I highly recommend this movie!
Kid, 12 years old May 1, 2011

Not all that scary to me, but judging on other comments, 14+

This movie was not very scary to me at all, and I am 12 year old goody two shoes girl. I watched it, expecting it to be 'the scariest movie since the exorcist' but it wasnt all that scary. The only part that scared me the slightest bit was was when the one of the main characters finds a piece of another main characters clothes and inside was a... bloody... thing? I don't know what it was, it was like a heart or something. Other than that, there are CONSTANT curse words, very unessesary, too. The only reason I rated it 4 stars was because the ending really made me mad. I wanted to know what happened next! But, hey, didn't they make a second one? :P its very realistic in the sense that they wanted you to think it was real. Very. So I recommend it!
Teen, 14 years old Written byfeather moon February 5, 2011

Not for younger kids, and iffy for teens if your worried about language.

This movie was scary the firs time through. I mean, I'd still be scared the second time because of the whole standing in the corner thing, but I swore something was gonna pop out to scare you every time it was dark. I hate horror movies that are constantly dark. So if you can't stand the dark in movies, do not watch this! Nothing pops out, but even so it was creepy. Just random things, like waking up with stones piled outside the camp, and strange noises. So in that sense I wouldn't recommend it for little kids. Also, they swear almost every other word. And it's pretty bad. The violence isn't bad, there's pretty much none, but there are references to it. You can assume what will happen. Only one scene that's gorey where they receive a bag of bloody parts. Overall the movie was pretty good though. You don't need a blanket to cower behind, just saying.
Teen, 16 years old Written bylil reses January 19, 2011
i like it but me and my friends are really gonna find out about it so lets hope the stuff real cause i dont want to go up there for nothing
Teen, 15 years old Written byrain333666999 July 24, 2010

its fine if you dont mind cursing

it was alright.suspenceful.but not at all scary
Kid, 12 years old July 18, 2010
This movie is great and isn't that scary
Teen, 16 years old Written byJWilliams303 June 4, 2010

Pretty good for a shaky camera movie

Even though this isn't real, i still thought it was pretty freaky. The ending part where they go in the house and a child's voice screaming help and laughing outside the tent even when there wasn't one there creeped me out the most.
Teen, 13 years old Written byhavok lover 666 May 30, 2010
it is great!!!!!!!!! kind of scary.
Adult Written byEvanReviews August 14, 2009

Perfect Horror Movie for Mature Teens and Adults

Very Suspenseful horror movie that shows almost no violence at all. I love it so much I bought it on my iPod. Only thing parents should really watch out for is its language. Over 150 F words. 5/5 :)
Teen, 15 years old Written byVivian_L August 4, 2009

Ridiculously boring for a horror movie~

I really hate the way it was filmed; it didn't make it scary and it was really annoying. I found this movie to be really boring, which was disappointing because my mom kept telling me she thought it was the creepiest, but gore-less, movie she'd ever seen. The Blair Witch Project could have easily been PG-13 if they didn't constantly use the F-word; this became annoying just ten minutes into the movie. I suggest you avoid this movie altogether. :/
Teen, 14 years old Written byJ-dog21 May 20, 2009

Not as good as people say

All thats bad is the f word said countless times, and idk it was just pathetic
Kid, 12 years old April 13, 2009

Not as good???

I thought it was really good but it was no where near as scary as it was made out to be, and I'm only 11!!!
Teen, 16 years old Written bymovieman09 April 9, 2008

Great

This is a great scary movie. It scares you from what you don't see not what you do see. It does have a ton of language though.
Adult Written byliefde1 April 9, 2008

confusing...

I think the reason a lot of people went to see this movie is because they thought it was based on a real story; I thought it was. When it was being advertised, it was never really made clear (I think a tape and book was even put out later that told more about the 'true story'.) Since it is made up, it's not that wow of a movie; there's a lot of jumpy camera movement, which some people may find annoying. The ending is confusing; you are sitting there saying (maybe shouting) "What's going on?" and then it's just over. That said, there are some scary parts if you use your imagination, such as when they are in the tent and *something* is outside, crawling around. I put age 13-16 but I would say 15 years and older for this movie.