All member reviews for The Blair Witch Project

'90s horror movie isn't gory but is still terrifying.

Teen, 15 years old Written bytear n it up April 9, 2008

Eh, not great

I was not scared at all by this movie. It is cool, and intersting, but not scary. Tons of bad language.
Adult Written byslbush April 9, 2008

Waist of time

The Blair Witch film leaves you with fear. Last time I checked, fear is not something we should be feeding. This movie may help the imagination but in a very unhealthy way.
Adult Written byBestPicture1996 October 1, 2015

The grandaddy of found footage

The hype and mythos that surrounds this film might've actually hurt it a little bit by watching it 16 years later. The character's outfits scream 90s, the camerawork screams 90s, so was this movie better appreciated when it came out near the end of the millennium? Maybe so. As a movie-going society we were gullible back then; the real Heather's mother got notes about the welfare of her daughter after this movie ended. We hadn't been pummeled by "Paranormal Activity" sequels and cheap-o horror flicks studios push to make a quick buck because fear always sells. Well it's not fear that sells "Blair Witch": it's suspense. The movie is one long inhalation of breath, and when you exhale...well you might be disappointed. I know I was. But I'll direct my praise towards the absolute believability of the actors, and the verisimilitude the directors created to really make this feel home-made, there are some extremely genuine moments captured here. So yes, it is wholly unique and should be watched with as many people as possible. Just know there's endless cursing, little violence, but just one LONG moment of suspense.
Parent Written byGaelle Tricot July 22, 2015

MOST BORING, DISAPPOINTING AND UNINTERESTING MOVIES OF ALL TIME! YUCK!

I have never seen a worse movie than this one! The only things that I will remember about this movie are the constant swearing, the bad actors and filming, and the lack of budget. I almost could not watch it all as it was so so boring. I do not recommend this to anyone, not even older teens because it is not even scary.
Teen, 14 years old Written byLoïc July 14, 2015

Film really really scary and frightening not suitable for under 14 years . / Film vraiment très angoissant et effrayant vraiment pas adapté aux moins de 14 ans

Film really really scary and frightening not suitable for under 14 years . The blaire witch project is a horror found footage film ( is to present part or all of a film as an authentic recording video, filmed mostly by the histoire1.Ce kind of protagonists characterized by images taken from life, by his camera an integral part of the action and its picture and sound quality deliberately degraded ) which increases the fear in the viewer. There is a scene with blood and human parts . This film is really intense and disturbing. We hear the cries of torture, disturbing noises ... Rating: 8/10 Very good horror film . Excuse me for the mistakes but I'm french FRANCAIS: Film vraiment très angoissant et effrayant vraiment pas adapté aux moins de 14 ans. Le projet blaire witch, est un film d’horreur en found footage (consiste à présenter une partie ou la totalité d'un film comme étant un enregistrement vidéo authentique, la plupart du temps filmé par les protagonistes de l'histoire1.Ce genre se caractérise par ses images prises sur le vif, par sa caméra faisant intégralement partie de l'action et par sa qualité visuelle et sonore volontairement dégradées) ce qui augmente le terreur chez le spectateur. Il y a une scène avec du sang et des parties humaines. Ce film est vraiment intense et dérangeant. On entend des cris de torture, des bruits inquiétants… Note : 8/10 Très bon film d’épouvante.
Teen, 14 years old Written bykitty47 June 4, 2015

Boring and not even scary

Teen, 14 years old Written byKmfan97 May 30, 2015

awesomely creepy horror flick is not recommended for young teens who are easily scared.

I watched this a couple months ago and the crazy thing is is that I watched it at night by myself and it didn't scare me too bad but it definitely had me on edge. The movie is about 3 college students named Heather Josh and Mike who journey into the woods in Maryland to shoot a documentary about a urban legend know as the Blair Witch. Aside from the extreme creepiness this movie has there is a huge amount of swearing including 158 uses of fu** and they weren't censored when I watched it on tv. Aside from that the movie is very creepy and one of the things that adds to the creepiness is that you never see the Blair Witch or whatever the heck is chasing them and I'm not gonna lie if I saw this when I was 10 or younger it most likely would have scared the bejesus out of me so here me out, if you're 14 or older and you get scared easily then I recommend you stay away. I also honestly think that kids younger than 14 can watch this as long as they don't get scared too easily like me.
Teen, 17 years old Written bylizzie_lauren October 4, 2014

Wasn't scary at all but had lots of swearing

This movie wasn't particularly good. Included a lot of swearing and was a bit boring. The build up was not very good. Overall pretty much a beginner horror film that i expected to be a lot scarier.
Teen, 13 years old Written bybands4life September 23, 2014

Awesome First Horror Movie!

This review (in my opinion) is very misleading. This movie includes very little gore and violence, but there is quite a few jump scares. Expect constant swearing , but mostly f--k and s--t out of fear. The only inappropriate things about this movie are.... well just the cussing. If your kid can handle jump scares and cussing, then he and/or she can handle this.
Kid, 12 years old May 27, 2014
I made the mistake of watching this movie at night! Super creepy! I'm only 12, but my school put me in a advanced class and said that I mature early. So I watched it! CREEPY!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustin Rivera March 22, 2014

What Horror Really Is

This film is brought found footage film-making to mainstream media, delivering a very engrossing plot, tense situations, and a constant feeling of separation anxiety and the feeling of not being alone. This film is all about human imagination, these kids are hunted by someone or something that is never shown on camera, leaving your subconscious to kick in, letting you imagine what is hunting them and what is causing them to be in such a state of terror, this movie thrives on imagination, not on blood and gore. This film is one of the creepiest films around, and even though I really did enjoy this film, it has it's flaws. The problem that not only I experienced but many others experiences was the fact that this film didn't take off until about 20 to 30 minutes in. It was still very gripping and I was interested but I was kind of bored for a few minutes, but that was all build up and I understand. This is a film I would recommend to horror movie goers who don't want gore and jump scares, this is a great psychological thriller/horror film. Parents should be aware that this film is creepy to a realistic degree, there isn't any gore (some blood, but briefly shown and not too graphic), but this film is very effective in what it sets out to do, relying on noises and the fear of the unknown, it will scare younger children, teens and tweens may be okay with the content. This film also is very heavy on language, pervasive language throughout this entire film. Really really really well made horror film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 21, 2014

extremely suspenseful but not scary horror classic makes you think twice about hiking

This films was awesome. Just pure awesomeness. It was also highly realistic and made me want to never go into the woods again. the shoddy, found-footage cinematography makes it feel like you're really there, and watching it without any lights on is even better. but this tense adventure has too much swearing for younger teens. there is no violence, but viewers do see a shirt with blood and teeth in it. people also graphically describe murders committed by the Blair witch. on the other hand, nearly every line of dialogue is peppered with tons of cursing, with the character using the F word, S word, and more constantly.
Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2014

A lot of swearing, but really creepy!

I'm 10 and I watched this. This didn't scare me a lot though. There is a lot of swearing, I mean, A LOT. Every 5 seconds they would swear. This could very easily scare a 9 year old, or even a 10 year old. I recommend this movie to people who can stand really scary things, and 12 and up.
Kid, 12 years old February 17, 2014

Number 2 of my top scariest movies.....

Sex/nudity: We see a man's bare chest. Violence/Gore: Not much, we see a dead mouse. Language: A LOT OF F-BOMBS Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Some, not much Terror/Intense: Very scary. Okay for 12+ since they hear at least 10 F-bombs in school. (That's in my school, but I'm not sure with the other schools....)
Teen, 13 years old Written bydidsomeonesaydiamond December 29, 2013

Has a creepy atmosphere and ending, depends on the child/teen if he/she can watch it

I'm 13 years old and I watched it, didn't get scarred for life or anything but some scenes did freak me out. If I remember right, there was lots of cursing and so on, we didn't actually see violence happening but there were hints of it happening, including a bloody scarf with something really disgusting inside it (guts?) and talk about murders done in really sick ways, disappearings and so on. Smoking was mentioned (characters asking each other if they have cigarettes) and in the beginning they drank alcohol. The ending left me thinking and was unique and, in my opinion, great, but really creepy at the same time. I know some people my age who wouldn't sleep for days after watching this movie, and some who would just laugh at the scary scenes and go watch The Grudge or something. And I got to say this: some people here insist that the movie is true - but it's not. Yes, in the beginning of the movie there is a text that claims it is real footage found in the forests, filmed by three film students who then disappeared, but it's only a trick of some kind to make the watchers more scared. The actors, who by the way used their real names in the movie, are all alive and well (well, at least alive, don't know what their personal life is like).
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaithamB November 9, 2013

Moviegoer14: The Blair Witch Project

While there is now technology that is terrifying, what we don't see is what we fear most, and "The Blair Witch Project" proves it. It might seem to generations that it is an old movie and a cheap one too, "The Blair Witch Project" stands out as one of the most impressive work in the horror industry, absolutely and highly recommended.
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2013

EPIC

Epicness. Blair witch is my favorite horror of all time
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 24, 2013

Great horror movie!

Great horror movie where you don't see anything. Most of the horror is sounds and anticaption within, but towards the end it starts to get intense. There is not much violence just one scene where they find a bundle of sticks with someone's blood and teeth in the bundle. There is no sex/nudity, and no drug use, but there's is some smoking and drinking. The main concern is the strong language that contains many uses of the word "F---" as well as a few milder curse words. If your kid can handle horror and you're okay with language I would say 11 and up. Suggested MPAA R: for Pervasive Language, Terror including some Disturbing Images, and Violent Content.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2013

My opinion on this movie

This was a very well made horror movie. It was pretty scary the first time I saw it and it still scares me. The movie gives you the feeling of being in the situation that is going on. There is some language like the F word, Hell (not as bad) and I think that's all. If you don't mind your kids hearing language then it is pretty much appropriate. It is also really scary so make sure that your kids are at a reasonable age before they watch this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoacoabean October 8, 2013

not that bad

it is not to violent i have watched scarier but i would not let any one younger then maybe 9 watch it couse it is baced on a true story!