All member reviews for The Blair Witch Project

This one could be too scary even for your teen.

Adult Written byZoeB April 26, 2014

A must for any horror fans, but otherwise kids tread carefully

I will start off by saying that the film is NOT true, but the filmmakers did an extremely great job of making it believable that it was (if you don't believe me, look at the end credits, it will say the 'this film is fictional' jargon). I'm quite insensitive to horror films; I love Saw, A Nightmare On Elm Street and The Texas Chainsaw Massacre mostly for the depth of characterisation. I didn't think that this film would scare me as much as it did and the reason for that is purely because it is a very psychological film. The legend and backstory behind the Blair Witch is conveyed extremely well and since you are seeing the situations through the eyes of a video camera and three terrified teenagers, it just really gives it that edge. I don't think that there is too much swearing, because in all honesty, it accurately portrays three extremely frightened teenagers which would be doing that in that situation. As the events which happen to them get worse, it shows progressive worsening states of mind, with the female of the group, Heather Donahue, doing the famous confession scene on camera. I first watched this when I was around 14 years old; I'm now 18 and it is still a film I cannot watch at night. If you have had children that were not particularly bothered by watch Paranormal Activity, The Exorcism of Emily Rose and The Number 23, then they will probably not be frightened by this. It really does depend on the person; many people I know were not one bit terrified by this. As further warnings (WITH SPOILERS), there are some quite disturbing scenes, for example, hearing children laughter at night, the disappearance of one of the teenagers, a package arriving outside the tent and a freaky finale.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBlake_Slaughter March 26, 2014

Scary? I think you have the wrong movie

This movie is so boring. All this swearing just leads up to a stupid ending. This is worse than the Paranormal Activity. They don't even show the blair witch, ghosts, or anyone in the woods. Don't know why people find it scary, it's just a waste of time. If you want a scary movie, this isn't it! If you don't mind language, I don't think this film would even scare a child...
Teen, 14 years old Written byJustin Rivera March 22, 2014

What Horror Really Is

This film is brought found footage film-making to mainstream media, delivering a very engrossing plot, tense situations, and a constant feeling of separation anxiety and the feeling of not being alone. This film is all about human imagination, these kids are hunted by someone or something that is never shown on camera, leaving your subconscious to kick in, letting you imagine what is hunting them and what is causing them to be in such a state of terror, this movie thrives on imagination, not on blood and gore. This film is one of the creepiest films around, and even though I really did enjoy this film, it has it's flaws. The problem that not only I experienced but many others experiences was the fact that this film didn't take off until about 20 to 30 minutes in. It was still very gripping and I was interested but I was kind of bored for a few minutes, but that was all build up and I understand. This is a film I would recommend to horror movie goers who don't want gore and jump scares, this is a great psychological thriller/horror film. Parents should be aware that this film is creepy to a realistic degree, there isn't any gore (some blood, but briefly shown and not too graphic), but this film is very effective in what it sets out to do, relying on noises and the fear of the unknown, it will scare younger children, teens and tweens may be okay with the content. This film also is very heavy on language, pervasive language throughout this entire film. Really really really well made horror film.
Teen, 15 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 21, 2014

extremely suspenseful but not scary horror classic makes you think twice about hiking

This films was awesome. Just pure awesomeness. It was also highly realistic and made me want to never go into the woods again. the shoddy, found-footage cinematography makes it feel like you're really there, and watching it without any lights on is even better. but this tense adventure has too much swearing for younger teens. there is no violence, but viewers do see a shirt with blood and teeth in it. people also graphically describe murders committed by the Blair witch. on the other hand, nearly every line of dialogue is peppered with tons of cursing, with the character using the F word, S word, and more constantly.
Kid, 10 years old March 20, 2014

A lot of swearing, but really creepy!

I'm 10 and I watched this. This didn't scare me a lot though. There is a lot of swearing, I mean, A LOT. Every 5 seconds they would swear. This could very easily scare a 9 year old, or even a 10 year old. I recommend this movie to people who can stand really scary things, and 12 and up.
Kid, 11 years old March 7, 2014

no need to not allow child to watch

i watched this movie and it was rather stupid they got lost in the woods here noises in the night and get scared at one point heather is being chased down but no blair witch is there and the quality was horrible you could barely see it i would say its a good starter horror film. other then swearing good movie.
Kid, 12 years old February 17, 2014

Number 2 of my top scariest movies.....

Sex/nudity: We see a man's bare chest. Violence/Gore: Not much, we see a dead mouse. Language: A LOT OF F-BOMBS Drinking/Drugs/Smoking: Some, not much Terror/Intense: Very scary. Okay for 12+ since they hear at least 10 F-bombs in school. (That's in my school, but I'm not sure with the other schools....)
Teen, 13 years old Written bydidsomeonesaydiamond December 29, 2013

Has a creepy atmosphere and ending, depends on the child/teen if he/she can watch it

I'm 13 years old and I watched it, didn't get scarred for life or anything but some scenes did freak me out. If I remember right, there was lots of cursing and so on, we didn't actually see violence happening but there were hints of it happening, including a bloody scarf with something really disgusting inside it (guts?) and talk about murders done in really sick ways, disappearings and so on. Smoking was mentioned (characters asking each other if they have cigarettes) and in the beginning they drank alcohol. The ending left me thinking and was unique and, in my opinion, great, but really creepy at the same time. I know some people my age who wouldn't sleep for days after watching this movie, and some who would just laugh at the scary scenes and go watch The Grudge or something. And I got to say this: some people here insist that the movie is true - but it's not. Yes, in the beginning of the movie there is a text that claims it is real footage found in the forests, filmed by three film students who then disappeared, but it's only a trick of some kind to make the watchers more scared. The actors, who by the way used their real names in the movie, are all alive and well (well, at least alive, don't know what their personal life is like).
Teen, 14 years old Written byMoviegoer14 November 9, 2013

Moviegoer14: The Blair Witch Project

While there is now technology that is terrifying, what we don't see is what we fear most, and "The Blair Witch Project" proves it. It might seem to generations that it is an old movie and a cheap one too, "The Blair Witch Project" stands out as one of the most impressive work in the horror industry, absolutely and highly recommended.
Kid, 11 years old November 3, 2013

EPIC

Epicness. Blair witch is my favorite horror of all time
Teen, 14 years old Written byCWG1 October 24, 2013

Great horror movie!

Great horror movie where you don't see anything. Most of the horror is sounds and anticaption within, but towards the end it starts to get intense. There is not much violence just one scene where they find a bundle of sticks with someone's blood and teeth in the bundle. There is no sex/nudity, and no drug use, but there's is some smoking and drinking. The main concern is the strong language that contains many uses of the word "F---" as well as a few milder curse words. If your kid can handle horror and you're okay with language I would say 11 and up. Suggested MPAA R: for Pervasive Language, Terror including some Disturbing Images, and Violent Content.
Kid, 12 years old October 20, 2013

My opinion on this movie

This was a very well made horror movie. It was pretty scary the first time I saw it and it still scares me. The movie gives you the feeling of being in the situation that is going on. There is some language like the F word, Hell (not as bad) and I think that's all. If you don't mind your kids hearing language then it is pretty much appropriate. It is also really scary so make sure that your kids are at a reasonable age before they watch this movie.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCoacoabean October 8, 2013

not that bad

it is not to violent i have watched scarier but i would not let any one younger then maybe 9 watch it couse it is baced on a true story!
Teen, 13 years old Written byJackie1311 April 1, 2013

Great movie, Too much cursing

This movie is not scary. It definitely has a creepy undertone, but the whole movie is waiting for the final, big, scary scene; which never comes. Though the end is great, and the scariest part of the movie, it isn't scary. I watched the movie with my best friend, and believe me when I say that we are chickens and weren't scared. However, this movie is AMAZING, but there is a lot of cursing. The F word is used as commonly as the word "the", so watch out for that. Overall, it is a very good movie.
Teen, 16 years old Written byyundun63 February 16, 2013

Just because it isn't bloody doesn't mean it isn't scary...

I watched this movie when I JUST turned 16 this year and I really liked it. The violence isn't overwhelming, in fact it's mostly just suggestive except in one scene when Heather finds a rather gruesome 'present' from the witch. Despite the fact that the violence is fairly suggestive and the movie isn't overly gory I would still advise parents to pause before showing this to anyone under 16 and STRONGLY warn against showing this to kids 14 and under. Perfect for a creepy aura type movie but keep in mind that it is rated 'R' for a reason and more imaginative/easier to scare kids should absolutely stay away. Definitely have a conversation with your child to assess their maturity and to remind them that it is all make believe (remember, this film presented as a documentary which can make it even scarier so remind them that it is indeed, just a movie.) and that nothing can harm them or perhaps just wait a few more years all together. Extra notes: This movie also shows underaged alcohol/drug use in the beginning and features some rather colorful language but if you think they can handle everything else than this will probably be a walk in the park.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySomeoneYouDon'tKnow December 19, 2012

One of the scariest films ever made!

This is my third favorite film of all time, after Grave Encounters (#1) and Paranormal Activity 2 (#2). I have seen many horror movies, but few have actually had an impact on me. This movie was unbelievably scary, with some really good silent chills that really kept me at the edge of my seat. The ending is great, giving us a real sense of awe and terror that is never fully explained, which really adds to the atmosphere. The acting is great, especially from Heather Donahue, who is one of the best independent film actors of all time, in my opinion. If the film has one downside, it's the fact that we don't see ANYTHING; like I said, Grave Encounters is my #1 favorite movie, because they managed to chill you while still showing some hardcore-freaky ghost-demon-things. I guess I can't really blame this for that though, because how would they make a WITCH look cool? But I digress. This movie is superbly scary, suspenseful, chilling, and atmospheric, and is great for hardcore horror geeks.
Parent Written byharris231 September 10, 2012

Potty mouthed teens along with a scary theme

Teen, 15 years old Written byHorrorfan1984 August 3, 2012

This site is full of drama queens

Ok, first off there is virtually no violence in this movie, lets make that clear. The only thing that could even be considered violent is when one of the main characters in the movie punches her friend for losing the map and getting them lost in the woods. The language is brutal, consisting of 154 uses of the f-word (I looked it up online). Really other then that there is not much bad about it, though I would defiantly not recommend it for little kids.
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

Parents should know that...

The movie is violent in a different way than Friday the 13th and Hellraiser, but it's still violent and has some hard language.
Adult Written bymoviesrule1424 July 15, 2012

This is not a joke-around movie in any way.

Constant uses of the F-word.