All parent member reviews for The Blind Side

Parent of a 6, 11, 14, and 17 year old Written byjayhawkfan08 December 29, 2009
Parent of a 5, 8, and 10 year old Written byZEBSMOM December 24, 2009

Educational and powerful.

Okay, so going into this movie you should know that it is about REAL people and that their lives weren't easy - so that's where the warning for bad language, bad role models, sexual (very lightly) implied, and violence come from. I went into this film explaining to my child that some people actually live like this, and that this is their reality. I also hi-lighted the positive role models in Micheal Oher's story who "choose" to help him and therefore probably change the whole course of his life for the better. Positive message that one person can make a difference and by doing so make things better.
Parent of a 10 and 14 year old Written bySiempreA December 24, 2009
Five members of our family who are 10, 14, 40, and 80 saw this movie together, and we all loved it. Sandra Bullock was fantastic, and the movie had something for everyone without inappropriate content.
Adult Written bysydneyg81 December 22, 2009

perfect for any age

great movie...based upon a true story
Parent Written bypeacejen December 20, 2009

Was it syrupy? I didn't notice.

Believe it or not, my 10 y.o. boy wanted to see this one, so the 6 y.o. had to tag along. Most of it was over the little guy's head, but my big guy thought it was great! He loves that the story is about real people. The previews were the hardest part to get through with the kids.
Adult Written bytlj December 18, 2009

Caution, the end is disturbing!

I can see the use of the references to "t-ts" and the other mild language as part of the story, but Hollywood just had to add the real trash to the movie near the end with "If you get any girl pregnant, I will get in my car and drive up here and cut off your p-n-s". What is that all about!?! I don't care if that was real life or not, it's disturbing and did not belong in a movie that was so good up to that point. My 13 year boy was turned off to it after that. Why did they have to ruin the end of the movie?
Parent of a 13 year old Written bymomof4tx December 5, 2009
Adult Written byavharris December 1, 2009

"Blindsided" by a GREAT movie!!

Great family movie with VERY positive message!
Parent of a 4, 9, 11, 12, and 14 year old Written byJimDad November 30, 2009

Ok for tweens in my Book.

This movie is a great movie about what kids are faced with today. How a young man on the street that had no chance to make it. This massive, humble man came from nothing and brings a great message to our younger generation. I believe 10+ years can watch this movie with parental guidance. Young men especially young football players can get a great massage from this movie. Protect your family.
Adult Written byThomas the Paine November 29, 2009
S. Jhoanna Robledo missed it. The story was about relationships. More important then the "stuff" you have to go through, what are the results. I would just as soon have it glosses over the many challenges for all concerned because those challenges are given. What is important is that someone did care and that someone did something. The story also doesn't skirt the issue of prejudice, it displays examples of it through out the film. It also showed how one family and each of their members can impact a young person's life.
Parent of a 14 year old Written byTsion November 29, 2009

Positive, Uplifting, Inspiring, and Well-Made...What's Not to Like?

THE BLIND SIDE is a well-made movie that tells the story of a young black man who was raised in horrible conditions in the ghetto and now lives in poverty without a home. A white family adopts him and makes his life better, prompting him to follow his dreams and become a better person. The film is one of the most positive films I've seen in a long time. Generosity is praised and the positive effects of it are the main points of the plot. Teachers, tutors, and family members all are helpful and supportive and treat the main character with nothing but love. Racism and discrimination due to poverty and social condition are looked down upon, and the people who practice these things are shown in a negative light. In the end, love endures, and all of the characters (albeit some small supporting roles) are great role models. There are a few sexual innuendos, but nothing at all graphic. There is also a minor scuffle in the ghetto where a gun is brought into play, but no one is harmed past a black eye. Language is really the only iffy issue in the movie, and it is mild outside of one or two instances of "b**ch".
Parent of a 2, 3, and 4 year old Written bymy boys mom November 27, 2009

Awesome movie!

The fact that this movie is based on a true story makes it even more powerful. You realize just how much one person can change another's life for the better if they reach out.
Parent of a 5 and 10 year old Written bymnmwagoner November 27, 2009

Great example of doing the right thing

Although there were concerns, as there are in any movie based upon a true story, my wife and I absolutely enjoyed this movie. It was a heart-warming reminder that in a world of racism, injustice, and government led poverty, there are still people out there who love others in spite of their own views, socio-economic background, or race. Of course, this movie had some really good football shots which touched my Neanderthal side. There's just nothing like football! The major concern I have is with stereotypes. In this movie any person of affluence is white. To my knowledge there were only two persons of color in any position of positive influence. My hope is that this is to better represent the world Michael Oher found himself in with "White Walls." No movie can touch on every subject and do it justice. This was a good representation, and hopefully quite accurate, of a kid with a need that was met by a person willing to think outside the box of her own upbringing and influences.
Adult Written byAio November 26, 2009

very nice movie

has very positive message, teaching kids good values, recommend the movie for kids instead of them watching nonsense shows like "Hannah Montana"
Adult Written bykaetra November 26, 2009
This movie was a lot funnier than I expected it to be. Lots of laughs and a positive message. Cheesy at times, but overall really good. I don't know if tweens/teens would enjoy it as much as I did, unless perhaps they are really into football.
Adult Written byChrisT878 November 26, 2009

Inspiring

This being a true story makes the movie even better. I read an interview with the Tuohys and they said that Michael wasn't the first kid they helped; he was the only one who had a book written about him. I don't know if the socialites were racists; they were just women who never went outside of their upscale neighborhoods or would consider doing anything like Leigh Ann did. This movie is not only moving, but very funny. The little boy who plays SJ is incredible.
Parent of a 4, 6, 8, and 15 year old Written byMichaelDean November 24, 2009

Fantastic Film!

Younger kids may be bored, but this film tells the inspiring true story of Michael Oher. The film is very well done and there is very little objectionable material. An overall fantastic film.
Adult Written byTy3401 November 23, 2009

Inspiring, best movie I've seen all year.

Loved this movie. A little gang violence, and one sexual conversation between a gang member and the main character. However this movie was completely redeemed by the positive roll models. Take your teen girls to see this movie, forget about Twilight. I'm definitely buying it when it comes out, and I don't buy them unless it's worth buying.
Parent of a 11, 12, 17, and 17 year old Written byMMomma November 23, 2009

Best Movie Ever

Love this movie, took my 12 year old son to watch. Sandra Bullock is wonderful.
Parent of a 6, 14, and 16 year old Written bySpencersb November 22, 2009

Quinton Aaron is a star!

Loved it! Sandra Bullock nails Leigh Anne Tuohy. Jae Head is terrific as SJ. Adriane Lenox delivers a brief but emotional scene as Michael's estranged mother. But the true star (in spite of Bullock's top billing) is Quinton Aaron, who is a raw nerve throughout as the shy giant with everything against him who grows to be a remarkable young man. Incredibly, none of the superstar SEC coaches (not one of which is still coaching the same team) do a particularly good job playing themselves (and I love him, but there's a reason Houston Nutt's filmography has only this entry). Yeah, I know they glossed over some of the deeper issues, and the few racist attitudes that are depicted are strawmen, but it's a great story with a great message. I'm a lifelong Ole Miss fan and Memphis native. I witnessed much of the true story as a local. It's an incredible story that critics (those who can't critique those who can) will hate, but I guess I'm just too easily entertained, I loved it. It jerks tears without being a tearjerker, and has a terrific message.