All member reviews for The Book of Eli

Teen, 15 years old Written byMr. Tights July 17, 2012

Awesome!!!

If I was to rate this movie it would be: R For Some bloody violence and some strong language
Teen, 15 years old Written byThePlatinumKnight February 6, 2014

Great Morals!! Great Movie

Violence and language were the only big deal, but other than that it was a great movie!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBatman101 June 6, 2013

CSM Isn't Always Reliable!

This is definitely the best movie ever made! There is a good message, an amazing plot, great and unexpected secret revealed at the end, and terrific acting! CSM is over dramatizing the movie because they saw the real version. I saw it on TV and it was fine. DON'T WATCH THE MAIN VERSION, THOUGH!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodreviews101 January 25, 2013

Not really what I was expecting - but very good

It wasn't actually that violent. It was very good, but I think that they could have added a little more action into it. Eli is a very good role model, as is Solara. I think this is a great choice for teens 13 and up.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJACOBF5 June 17, 2012

Great Film, But For Mature Teens of About 14 and Over

This movie is very cinematic and well directed, however consists of graphic violence, including one decapitation that could be easily missed, and many stabbings and cutting off of limbs,all with excessive amounts of blood spray. The film does have a positive view towards strong religious and moral beliefs, but this may be outweighed by the high use of foul language and amount of grotesque, although stylized killings. Note: the main protagonist, Eli, is a Christian, and although he is killing, he is only doing it when necessary, and in one scene performs a mercy killing, (slow and less painful stabbing) on a man who he has taken the right hand off with his sword, after he attempted to attack him. I believe that the worst aspect of this film is the intensity of and constant reference to rape. A woman is seen being raped (this includes some nudity),and another is almost raped, before a man saves her by killing the two rapist graphically with a bow and arrows. Very good film, for teens only though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythemelonkid September 29, 2011

great movie

this is kinda like the passion of the christ. bloody, but with a message. I wouldnt let little kids watch it though...11 or 12 is a good age
Teen, 13 years old Written byBabytiggger June 19, 2011

Good but Bad

Even though this movie is Gory , violent , And sexual (no nudity) Denzel washington is fabulous IT IS A GREAT MOVIE. Yet i woudn't let this be the first R rated movie my kid see's . When me and my son watched it he thought it was pretty violent but kick ass!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 12 years old March 5, 2011

Actually pretty tame

Great movie with a great message . There are some bloody dead bodies shown in a scene or two . There are also fight scenes , but there's no blood at all in those . The F word was used a few times too .
Teen, 14 years old Written bydicapriofreak94 February 3, 2011

Amazing movie - Denzel Washington is brilliant!

I was absolutely amazed at how well done this movie was. Denzel Washington was BRILLIANT in this movie. He isn't in that many movies, but when he is, you know it'll be great! The Book of Eli is like a movie I've never seen before. I think some people are a little harsh on this movie, they say it's too violent. Well, the truth is, yes, it is quite violent at some parts. Such as: a mans hand gets chopped off, and it is quite disturbing, Eli is constantly fighting with people, and you see blood flying and such - But, it is all REALISTIC violence. Because if something like this happened (where most of the world got destroyed), I belive that this would happen! So, yes the violence is quite violent, but it's nothing that a mature teenager can't handle, and I believe that teenagers should watch this movie - It gives you a lot to think about. So to sum it all up, I would give this 5 stars, and would HIGHLY recommend this to people who love interesting story lines, and who like to think about what they just learned in the movie.
Teen, 14 years old Written byDarkMidnight January 29, 2011

I stared at the screen in utter shock and disbelief

Unbelievable, I actually respected the guy that chopped and killed through half of the movie! Eli is a very smart man, stubborn and violent, but very honorable. My grandpa actually showed me this movie today. I was SO glad when he refused any offers of sex from Solora (who was forced into it) and instead he let her eat and pray with him. It is just an amazing story, extremely violent, but I loved it none the less. Infact my 5 year old brother was watching it too, he didn't freak out or anything (out loud or anything, he doesn't seem too scarred) Anyway, I would recomend it, but I had to turn away a few times... ugh.
Teen, 13 years old Written bymelissaaa_ January 3, 2011

I thought this movie was really good although it was a little to violent. In the end, i think it has a good message. Probably only for tweens but if they are mature.
Teen, 13 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM November 21, 2010

Teens who can take the reality. Period.

Quiet, intriguing from the first few minutes, and with a slight beige tone to the whole movie, making it seem old and like a western. Though I am only a young teen and usually have a stiff comfort zone when it comes to R-rated movies, I have to say this was good. The story kept you on the couch and the action was pretty good though a bit cheesey and I don't think people who survived the apocalypse would fight with knives. The message was thought-forming and deep, making it all the rarer type of movie, and would readily appeal to religious viewers and strike hour-long conversations dealing with humanity and its view towards religion today. However, the current fad with R-rated movies (duh) is that there are scenes and villians who act and are the way PG-13 is jealous, and rather creeping towards if you haven't seen the latest ROBIN HOOD movie. Eye-opening fighting, blood and more blood, rape, attemted rape, and... you probably get the general picture. Language is as thick as butter, obviously not appropriate for young audiences and not recommendable unless you really know your teen. Otherwise, the messages on how religion is neccessary for order and happiness in our world, as well as learning to trust others despite the corruption of a ruined world are very good. Teens who can take all the violence and mature themes could probably be set thinking and talking to you about its deep messages. Doesn't every parent pray for that?
Kid, 10 years old October 16, 2010

my favorite movie!!!!

My fav movie ever!!!!! Yea it wuz very brutal and swearing but who cares! c it, enjoy it, review it and youll b happy!
Teen, 13 years old Written byEzio432 September 26, 2010

IFFY FOR 13 AND UP

People that think no kids should be alowed to see movies CSM says they cant, their stupid. CSM reviews movies and if kids and teens are sheltered so much like CSM wants them too, they will not be ready for the REAL WORLD. Now, onto the review of this movie. I didnt really like the entire movie, the violence was bad and someone even got a arrow from a bow to the crotch. Eli is kind of a reflection of me, if I was an adult and I was in post-apocalypse time. I feel best alone, and never like to swear. I am also of Christianity religion like Eli. The movie also has barely noticable sexual contenet, for example i never knew the woman on the road was trying to seduce Eli, but i did notice her skimpy clothing. The word p***sy is used, but most kids will probably think he meant a cat(:P). Eli shoots, stabs, cuts, and kills anyone in his way of getting the Bible to safety. The most violent part is at the beginning, and it is hard to see because of the shadows in the warehouse.
Teen, 13 years old Written byMASRESLOP September 19, 2010

Good if you don't shelter your kids and they understand the situation.

Okay for all of you who say that this movie is too violent you are wrong. Your kids obviously aren't mature enough to understand the real world and you shelter them. This movie shows that through all the horrible scenes that Eli (Denzel Washington) goes through, all the trouble he encounters, he still holds true to his trust in GOD and he never loses faith. Throughout the movie, he gets shot at and is protected through the will of GOD and survives to re build a Christian world by reprinting the bible.
Teen, 14 years old Written byslasher23 September 5, 2010

Kid, 11 years old August 8, 2010

AWESOME

@wilted6orchild i know right i really don't understand about it being r it deserved pg13 i wish denzel washington wuz my fallout 3 character lol
Teen, 13 years old Written bySupaDupaMan July 27, 2010

I reccomend this to mature audiences (or people who realize the importance of human life!)

This movie was BEAST!I wouldn't reccomend it for 12 and under, but some people can feel sick with decapitation scenes. But it does have a good potrayol of a Post-Apoctalyptic time. Don't listen to awesomeuser. He's just athiest. The "Last Bible" thing was a good addition to the plot!
Kid, 12 years old July 5, 2010

Awesome

I loved this movie. It was sad, disturbing, and all together amazing. It wasn't the most violent movie in the world, but it had a good share. The actors were casted perfectly! Gary Oldman, a standing ovation. Mila Kunis was once again, outstanding. And Denzel Washington was cool, kinda. The violence include gun shootings, and arrows being shot at people, Solara is pulled in to a pipe and beat up by some hijackers, and Solara's mother is pulled by the hair from Gary Oldman's character. Eli is strong and protective over Solara. A big part of the story is the Bible, and Eli trying to protect it because God talks to him in his head. Langauge is strong, and pretty much is rated R because Oldman's character is fond of the word F***, and D*** I would see this movie even if religon isn't your thing. (yes, even you Paul.)
Teen, 14 years old Written byPrototype79043 July 4, 2010