All member reviews for The Book of Eli

Future-set action epic is heavy on comic book violence.

Adult Written byangrypanda90 August 14, 2010

Good for older teens.

This movie is a very good movie. Violent yes but not Over the top violent. Eli is a man who is following God's will for him. Yes he does fight a lot of people but those who say violence and Christianity shouldnt mix clearly havent read the book of Judges in the bible. Eli doesnt kill random people at will he defends himself. Its aso in a post apocalyptic world. SO you can bet most people's morals went down the drain.
Parent of an infant, 2, 3, and 5 year old Written bywilted6orchid August 4, 2010

Eli isn't just some violent guy!

I have to disagree with the author's ragging on Eli as a role-model. Eli is a man on a mission doing what he believes God wants him to do. He does kill a lot of people, but he never kills anyone who didn't attack him first...where I'm from that's self-defense!
Parent of a 3, 11, and 12 year old Written byshelzmike July 24, 2010

Depends on the maturity of the kid

I'm not going to rewrite what others have written about regarding the violence and cursing, etc. Most have done an excellent job and they are pretty spot on. While there was a bit of cursing, it wasn't simply gratuitous for the sake of just saying it like many other movies are. Additionally, I was not cringing every time I heard it. Usually, there was enough action, or plot rather, going on that the words were not quite the focus. As far as the violence - to be honest, I was expecting more based on the reviews that I saw here. From my recollection, there are only about 5 or 6 scenes that were fairly graphic, but nothing too off-putting. It's hard to say sometimes, but again I do not think it was gratuitous and fit with the movie, if that makes any sense. Most were over just as quickly as they began. Finally, we are a Christian family and the plot of the movie was interesting and different and I was entertained the whole time; however, it wasn't really the best movie I have seen. There are some various Christian messages, but I am not sure it was really intended to be a full out Christian message. The story is more about Eli and his "mission" than it is the Bible or God. God does seem to play an important role and there are a few times that some good messages are shared by Eli. If I had to give one theme that stood out among the rest it would certainly be faith - Eli exemplifies faith in spite of adversity. The main review of this movie above does bring up an interesting point that I thought myself - it is hard to tell if the director and writer of the movie was simply developing the "bad" character of the villain or rather presenting perhaps their own view of religion - but there are some hints that organized religion is simply a way to gain power. As far as kids - we watched this with our 12 year old and I must say that as parents, we must know our own children and their maturity level. Age is just a number, and I know many 17 (and plenty that are older) who are very immature and know others that are younger that are more mature. I would have never let our 11 year old watch this movie - he has a problem with watching violence and doesn't know how to handle it. Our 12 year old though is very mature and quite a strong Christian. He can separate reality from the movies and understands what is okay and what is not okay. He, like myself, focuses more on the story than the cursing and the violence. On that note, parents only you know your kids (at least, I hope that you do) and you should not let ratings alone determine what you let your children watch and not watch.
Adult Written byFamilyofSix June 19, 2010

The other reviews give a good description of the violence, language, etc in the movie. On a positive note, I thought the main character was a good role model by defending the Word. He was very violent, but always out of necessity. The bad language was never used by the main character, that I remember. Overall the plot and turns in the movie were pretty interesting. I was a bit disappointed at the end when the book was put among others; that reduced the signifiance of the book. One reviewer said they took their 15 year old to see this R-rated movie and ask them to cover their eyes...that is ridiculous...how do you know when bad scenes will appear? It should only be seen by people out of high school.
Parent of a 10, 14, 15, and 17 year old Written byachildsfaith January 22, 2010

Great teaching opportunity for older teens.

This is a film that shows the true world without God's presence. When God has been forced out..then this is the world you get..without boundaries, no concern for others and anything goes. How different is this hollywood depicted world than the scene set through out the old testement with the societies based on the same principles and even worse in some cases where infant sacrifices prevail amoung God's own people? There are several simularites that can parallel to our world today. The bottom line for this movie is that God's word will prevail and triumph over all evil and human made societies. That God will use whatever means to keep his spirit alive in his creation and no matter how far we venture away from him, he always seeks us and never leaves us.
Written byAnonymous February 9, 2013

This Movie Should have been rated NC-17.

It's an R Rated Movie and I don't thing anyone 17 & Under shouldn't be seeing this movie. There is a Rape Scene in this movie. This Movie should have gotten NC-17.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMr. Tights July 17, 2012

Awesome!!!

If I was to rate this movie it would be: R For Some bloody violence and some strong language
Teen, 13 years old Written byAwalkeratCSM November 21, 2010

Teens who can take the reality. Period.

Quiet, intriguing from the first few minutes, and with a slight beige tone to the whole movie, making it seem old and like a western. Though I am only a young teen and usually have a stiff comfort zone when it comes to R-rated movies, I have to say this was good. The story kept you on the couch and the action was pretty good though a bit cheesey and I don't think people who survived the apocalypse would fight with knives. The message was thought-forming and deep, making it all the rarer type of movie, and would readily appeal to religious viewers and strike hour-long conversations dealing with humanity and its view towards religion today. However, the current fad with R-rated movies (duh) is that there are scenes and villians who act and are the way PG-13 is jealous, and rather creeping towards if you haven't seen the latest ROBIN HOOD movie. Eye-opening fighting, blood and more blood, rape, attemted rape, and... you probably get the general picture. Language is as thick as butter, obviously not appropriate for young audiences and not recommendable unless you really know your teen. Otherwise, the messages on how religion is neccessary for order and happiness in our world, as well as learning to trust others despite the corruption of a ruined world are very good. Teens who can take all the violence and mature themes could probably be set thinking and talking to you about its deep messages. Doesn't every parent pray for that?
Teen, 13 years old Written byMASRESLOP September 19, 2010

Good if you don't shelter your kids and they understand the situation.

Okay for all of you who say that this movie is too violent you are wrong. Your kids obviously aren't mature enough to understand the real world and you shelter them. This movie shows that through all the horrible scenes that Eli (Denzel Washington) goes through, all the trouble he encounters, he still holds true to his trust in GOD and he never loses faith. Throughout the movie, he gets shot at and is protected through the will of GOD and survives to re build a Christian world by reprinting the bible.
Teen, 14 years old Written byPrototype79043 July 4, 2010

Didn't understand it

Adult Written byjoshua martinez June 16, 2010

17 and up.

great movie i love it perfect for your older teens but parents the book of eli has a lot of intense violence some strong language used and some characters drink in a bar.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bykimsboxers January 19, 2010

for adults? with open minds

what about the rape ?
Teen, 15 years old Written byThePlatinumKnight February 6, 2014

Great Morals!! Great Movie

Violence and language were the only big deal, but other than that it was a great movie!!
Teen, 13 years old Written byBatman101 June 6, 2013

CSM Isn't Always Reliable!

This is definitely the best movie ever made! There is a good message, an amazing plot, great and unexpected secret revealed at the end, and terrific acting! CSM is over dramatizing the movie because they saw the real version. I saw it on TV and it was fine. DON'T WATCH THE MAIN VERSION, THOUGH!
Teen, 13 years old Written bygoodreviews101 January 25, 2013

Not really what I was expecting - but very good

It wasn't actually that violent. It was very good, but I think that they could have added a little more action into it. Eli is a very good role model, as is Solara. I think this is a great choice for teens 13 and up.
Parent Written byJesmartuc September 30, 2012

Not For Babies

The role of Denzel Washington brings a positive message about obdedience, faith and perseverance. The movie does have a significant amount of violence however, the violence is analogous to situations in the Bible where the Israelites were commanded to annihilate their enemies on the way to the promised land. Denzel's role is a positive one because, like many Bible characters, he was willing to accept God's purpose at all cost. Whats more, the character continues to mature in the knowledge of the Word until the very end. There is a surprising twist at the end, solidifying the power of God in the bleakest of situations.
Adult Written bythebeatlesrule July 16, 2012

Worthwhile movie that you will remember.

Good movie has is hard on violence, sex, and profanity.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJACOBF5 June 17, 2012

Great Film, But For Mature Teens of About 14 and Over

This movie is very cinematic and well directed, however consists of graphic violence, including one decapitation that could be easily missed, and many stabbings and cutting off of limbs,all with excessive amounts of blood spray. The film does have a positive view towards strong religious and moral beliefs, but this may be outweighed by the high use of foul language and amount of grotesque, although stylized killings. Note: the main protagonist, Eli, is a Christian, and although he is killing, he is only doing it when necessary, and in one scene performs a mercy killing, (slow and less painful stabbing) on a man who he has taken the right hand off with his sword, after he attempted to attack him. I believe that the worst aspect of this film is the intensity of and constant reference to rape. A woman is seen being raped (this includes some nudity),and another is almost raped, before a man saves her by killing the two rapist graphically with a bow and arrows. Very good film, for teens only though.
Teen, 13 years old Written bythemelonkid September 29, 2011

great movie

this is kinda like the passion of the christ. bloody, but with a message. I wouldnt let little kids watch it though...11 or 12 is a good age
Parent of a 11 year old Written byThe Big E August 15, 2011

Those who claim this movie is anti-religious are wrong

I disagree very strongly with those who interpret this movie as having having a bone to pick with religion. In my opinion, this movie is very positive about religious faith. There may be some spoilers after this point, so read on at your own peril. In my opinion, this movie is metaphor for for issues facing the Christian church today. The two characters, Eli and Carnegie, are the only two characters in the movie who seem to be aware that the Bible still exists. One of those characters, Carnegie, wants to use the Bible to exercise power over others, because he knows its been used for that purpose in the past. That is not an anti-religious message - it is the truth - there have been many unscrupulous people throughout history who have twisted Biblical teachings to their own aggrandizement and to build their own power over others. The other character, Eli, possesses what is apparently the last Bible in existence, and he reads the Bible daily, and tries to live by its teachings, though even he acknowledges that at times he has failed to do so. Eli is on a mission of faith, he believes God spoke to him and told him to take the last Bible west, though he (Eli) doesn't know why or exactly where, and he believes that God will protect him and provide for him along the way. For 30 years Eli has walked where faith directed, never finding his destination, but everyday reading the Bible. In the end, Eli is forced to relinquish the last Bible to Carnegie, and that's when thing get interesting, for it is then revealed that the last Bible was a Braille Bible. Carnegie cannot read it, and the only person he knows who can, refuses due to the way Carnegie has treated her and her daughter. In the end, Carnegie has lost control of his town because he lost so many men in the pursuit of Eli, and is dying of gangrene. Carnegie pursuit of the Word of God did him no good because he sought to use God's Word for evil. Eli, on the other hand, carries on to Alcatraz, where a group lives who seeks to restore the lost knowledge of the past. His admission to their colony is his possession of the last King James Bible - in his head. Before dying, he recites the Bible word for word so it can be printed again. AND - we learn that Eli is blind - and apparently has been for 30 years. Throughout the movie, Eli shot animal s for food (including a flying bird with a bow), and defended himself with blade and gun, and yet was blind the entire time. Eli was protected by God, because he sought only to follow and act upon his faith. So if this movie has a bone to pick with religion, it is with false religion, with those who seek to use God's teaching for selfish and evil desires, whose with true faith are protected by God and provided for by God. Finally, a word about the violence in this movie - yes - it is very violent, and much of the violence is shocking. However, note that throughout the movie, Eli resorts to violence on when necessary to feed himself (animals), and when necessary to defend himself. Those who offered no threat to him were not harmed by him, only those who sought to kill him, or to keep him from completing the mission which God had sent him on.