All member reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Holocaust drama sensitive, but never sentimental.

Adult Written bywonder dove March 29, 2009

Powerful film, a must see!!

This film is powerful! I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The story is heart breaking and the ending is quite shocking. It will stick with you for many days after watching! The acting is amazing especially coming from the child actors. Definitely a must watch for 17's and up, but appropriate for mature minded tweens. I will watch this one again!!
Kid, 9 years old July 6, 2009

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?

this was a very good movie but the story.... the story is sad. When the movie ended and the credits roled down i was already crying my eyes out. When i showed my younger 9 year old cousin the trailer for this movie she just didnt understand what the boy behind the fence was going through and treated it like a joke. But if she had sene the movie she would have sene how cruel pepole can be and that the holocaust was no laughing matter. What happened to these boys was OUTRAGING AND TERRIBLY SAD. If your child is 11 years or younger in age have them read the book before they watch this movie.After i watched this movie i asked myself one question.... HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?! but i never got an answer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPhillipians4verse8 April 14, 2011

There is no use of "f---ing". Everything is offscreen. It's a very, very non-explicit and a film people should watch. The ending isn't explicit, but NOT FOR KIDS!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykatilady6 October 22, 2009

Not for children, disturbing even as an adult

Oh my please do not let your children watch this movie. My husband and I saw it and were disturbed. This was what went on in that time period, yes but WOW is it disturbing. PLEASE PLEASE do not show it to your children.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bykalley11 May 21, 2009

how wonderful a movie!

this is a very good movie I wish there was no bad language though.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Best Holocaust Movie for Young Children

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a very good, educational movie that I highly suggest for family viewing. However, I do not suggest showing the movie to children without first discussing the Holocaust with them so that they have a better understanding of the movie and the issues it discusses. There could be some slightly inappropriate content as far as language and violence, so it's important as a parent to view this movie first to make sure that you feel comfortable sharing this material with your child. In my opinion, it is one of the best, non-graphic, Holocaust films and a good tool to teach young children about the topic of the Holocaust in an age-appropriate way.
Adult Written bymuchkasmom November 30, 2008

A Must See!!

This is a beautiful, well made film about the Holocaust. It's advertised as a family film but young children will not understand some of what's going on. My almost 12 year old loved it although during our discussion she wasn't sure of exactly what was happening at the end. I think one has to have a bit of backgroud on the Holocaust. Wonderful acting and a story that moves along keeping you on the edge of your seat all add to it's brilliance. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieboy23 May 9, 2013

Boy In the Striped PJs

I think that this show "Boy in the Striped pajamas" I a very good show. It does sugar coat the holocaust a little but otherwise it is an ok view on what happened in the holocaust.
Parent Written byLaura_72 April 7, 2015

Excellent educational tool

This movie displays crimes against humanity. No blood. No openly displayed executions or murder. The movie heavily hints towards violence but the viewing is quite limited. What this movie shows is on a more psychological level. This movie reveals how innocence has no place in a world where humanity has turned barbaric. It reveals to us that when we make decisions that have the capability to destroy individuals, families and cultures that our choices have consequences and sometimes those consequences backfire terribly. This movie is not about the preservence of the human spirit. It is a deeper look into the evils that man is capable of. It offers no hope, but demonstrates that the consequences of taking from someone(s) what they value the most- freedom, life and happiness will in the end, can take those things from you as well leaving you asking "why?"
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2015

Heartbreaking movie.

This movie is not just teaching us about tolerances, but also talks about the importance of history. This movie explains of what's it like back then. Bruno may be a German but he put his heart to a boy. He's an example of Oskar Schindler (well, kind of). However in this movie there is some qualms to this. This movie breaks your heart, to be honest it did for me. The boy in the Striped Pajamas is like The Boy on the Wooden Box. This movie is the best heartbreaking movie, of my life.
Parent Written bytdod July 16, 2012

Upsetting, yet Good.

I think this film is an excellent choice. However, my children, Ruby and Jasper, found it quite upsetting at the end when the pow's went into the holocourst and they were told it was just a shower. I am going to let my year 7 class see this film as i am a humanities teacher.
Kid, 10 years old September 11, 2011

Very Sad..

I felt bad for when Bruno, Shmuel, and the other Jewish men were gassed in that hut. No one deserves to be treated like that.. Oh, and really? A SHOWER?!?! How is THAT a shower?! Ok, *ahem* I'm sorry. Well, I didn't really cry at all. I still felt bad.. I HATE RACISM!! I really felt bad for mostly, Shmuel.. Poor, poor, boy. The gas chamber thing is still haunting me.. But soon after that, since in was 10:00 p.m. when I watched it, and it was supposed to end at 12:00 a.m., my mom woke up because of when Bruno's mom was crying. She turned off the tv ~_-'!!!! I watched most of it though.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysuperq4898 June 23, 2011

Ah-Maz-ing!

It was such a great movie! I loved it with all my heart! But in the middle/end I had to turn it off. I cried because of what the little boy's father did to him and his friend! Its a positive message because the Bruno didn't care what Shultz looked like he wanted to help.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

SAD.

WARNING: CONTAINS A HUGE SPOILER whoa!!!!!! that movie was SAD! and vilont. Pour bruno and Shymol! who would do such a thing to two children?! It's just sick!!!!!!!!
Kid, 11 years old March 30, 2009

Bring a tissue when you see this movie

It is incredibly sad!!! There are two young boys who were meant to be enemy's became best freinds 'till life's end! Bruno an naive little boy who did not know he was a Nazis and Shmuel an intelligent little Jewish boy. Bruno makes a daring trip to Shmuel's side of the fence and he tells Shmuel "You are my best friend, my best friend for life" and that was true they were friends until life's end.
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2014

the boy in the striped pajamas

I think the movie the boy in the striped pajamas is an okay movie but is so sad at the end and very heart breaking and is not the best movie for young kids because of the subject matter. This is not the best for anyone under 10 and may upset some kids under 11 but if you do let your kids watch this movie you have to explain to them about world war two and why the Nazi's put Jews in camps.
Teen, 14 years old Written bygundy12345567 November 20, 2013

the boy in the striped pyjamas

this is a wonderful movie like wow!! :)
Teen, 13 years old Written byAliJunaid October 31, 2013

great story but some violence

it is really nice movie but its very sad but that's what make it a movie worthy to watch.
Teen, 15 years old Written byJosh2515 October 29, 2013

Over The Top Unrealism!

This movie is probably the most unrealistic holocaust movie ever made. Spoiler alert.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They kill the Jewish boys dad but they let the boy sit by the fence all day and play games come on I thought that the people who made life is beautiful could make a better movie than this. Nothing really wrong with this though.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Love it!

Just as good as the book! Really good movie for older tweens and up. The cruel behavior of adults in this movie will be too much for younger or sensitive kids.