All member reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Holocaust drama sensitive, but never sentimental.

Adult Written bywonder dove March 29, 2009

Powerful film, a must see!!

This film is powerful! I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The story is heart breaking and the ending is quite shocking. It will stick with you for many days after watching! The acting is amazing especially coming from the child actors. Definitely a must watch for 17's and up, but appropriate for mature minded tweens. I will watch this one again!!
Kid, 9 years old July 6, 2009

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?

this was a very good movie but the story.... the story is sad. When the movie ended and the credits roled down i was already crying my eyes out. When i showed my younger 9 year old cousin the trailer for this movie she just didnt understand what the boy behind the fence was going through and treated it like a joke. But if she had sene the movie she would have sene how cruel pepole can be and that the holocaust was no laughing matter. What happened to these boys was OUTRAGING AND TERRIBLY SAD. If your child is 11 years or younger in age have them read the book before they watch this movie.After i watched this movie i asked myself one question.... HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?! but i never got an answer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPhillipians4verse8 April 14, 2011
There is no use of "f---ing". Everything is offscreen. It's a very, very non-explicit and a film people should watch. The ending isn't explicit, but NOT FOR KIDS!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykatilady6 October 22, 2009

Not for children, disturbing even as an adult

Oh my please do not let your children watch this movie. My husband and I saw it and were disturbed. This was what went on in that time period, yes but WOW is it disturbing. PLEASE PLEASE do not show it to your children.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Best Holocaust Movie for Young Children

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a very good, educational movie that I highly suggest for family viewing. However, I do not suggest showing the movie to children without first discussing the Holocaust with them so that they have a better understanding of the movie and the issues it discusses. There could be some slightly inappropriate content as far as language and violence, so it's important as a parent to view this movie first to make sure that you feel comfortable sharing this material with your child. In my opinion, it is one of the best, non-graphic, Holocaust films and a good tool to teach young children about the topic of the Holocaust in an age-appropriate way.
Adult Written bymuchkasmom November 30, 2008

A Must See!!

This is a beautiful, well made film about the Holocaust. It's advertised as a family film but young children will not understand some of what's going on. My almost 12 year old loved it although during our discussion she wasn't sure of exactly what was happening at the end. I think one has to have a bit of backgroud on the Holocaust. Wonderful acting and a story that moves along keeping you on the edge of your seat all add to it's brilliance. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time.
Parent Written byLaura_72 April 7, 2015

Excellent educational tool

This movie displays crimes against humanity. No blood. No openly displayed executions or murder. The movie heavily hints towards violence but the viewing is quite limited. What this movie shows is on a more psychological level. This movie reveals how innocence has no place in a world where humanity has turned barbaric. It reveals to us that when we make decisions that have the capability to destroy individuals, families and cultures that our choices have consequences and sometimes those consequences backfire terribly. This movie is not about the preservence of the human spirit. It is a deeper look into the evils that man is capable of. It offers no hope, but demonstrates that the consequences of taking from someone(s) what they value the most- freedom, life and happiness will in the end, can take those things from you as well leaving you asking "why?"
Parent of a 14 year old Written bykalley11 May 21, 2009

how wonderful a movie!

this is a very good movie I wish there was no bad language though.
Parent Written bytdod July 16, 2012

Upsetting, yet Good.

I think this film is an excellent choice. However, my children, Ruby and Jasper, found it quite upsetting at the end when the pow's went into the holocourst and they were told it was just a shower. I am going to let my year 7 class see this film as i am a humanities teacher.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieboy23 May 9, 2013

Boy In the Striped PJs

I think that this show "Boy in the Striped pajamas" I a very good show. It does sugar coat the holocaust a little but otherwise it is an ok view on what happened in the holocaust.
Educator Written bymmccormack January 27, 2015

Sooo Good!

I thought this movie was fantastic! I teach 6th grade and think that it is very appropriate for them, especially if we are learning about this time in history, which we are! :) I did not hear any swearing in the movie. And their is not on scene violence.
Kid, 10 years old March 17, 2014

the boy in the striped pajamas

I think the movie the boy in the striped pajamas is an okay movie but is so sad at the end and very heart breaking and is not the best movie for young kids because of the subject matter. This is not the best for anyone under 10 and may upset some kids under 11 but if you do let your kids watch this movie you have to explain to them about world war two and why the Nazi's put Jews in camps.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysuperq4898 June 23, 2011

Ah-Maz-ing!

It was such a great movie! I loved it with all my heart! But in the middle/end I had to turn it off. I cried because of what the little boy's father did to him and his friend! Its a positive message because the Bruno didn't care what Shultz looked like he wanted to help.
Parent of a 8 and 14 year old Written bymselle2002 November 8, 2010

Definitely a sad movie. For teens and adults only.

Watched this movie with my 14 year old son in an effort to help him research a project on WWII. I wanted to show him, rather than tell him, what kind of atrocities come out of hatred and fanaticism. WOW, it opened some discussions, but I have to say, it bothered me to watch the conclusion. I'm sure that was the point, but it was a very difficult scene to watch. Very sad. Perhaps the only positive points I could find were 'loyalty' amongst friends and 'the innocence and lack of bigotry' in children.
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009
This was a fantastic movie. The storyline depicts the true reality that Jews were real people as a young son of a German military officer befriends a boy in a Jewish concentration camp. The ending is very strong, and I highly suggest watching this flick with your child, no matter what age!! Be prepared to discuss the holocaust, as viewers will not fully understand the movie without a basic knowledge. Many parts are alluded to, i.e. the smoke and smell coming from "the farm", are a reference to the burning of Jews in Auschwitz.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymaleaab October 6, 2009

The end is traumatic...iffy for anyone under 16.

Until the last 10 minutes we thought this was an excellent film. The last 10 minutes are incredibly important to the story and highlight both the beauty and beastliness of humanity. The film would have been incomplete without those scenes. However, the end is extremely emotional, to a degree that most under 16 will not be equipped to deal with. My son is 11 and has vast knowledge of World War II, Concentration Camps, and more. He is also extremely mature. We loved the film but the end was too much for him to process.
Parent of a 11 year old Written bymickeyfynn June 20, 2009

Great movie - Not for kids

I thought this movie was well directed and acted with a great story line. However, the content of the Holocost was very shocking, especially at the very end. I did not read the ratings here before our family watched it with our 11 year old. He was horrified with the scenes in the movie and that something like this could have actually happened in our history. A great movie to watch, just not for kids.
Kid, 11 years old March 30, 2009

Bring a tissue when you see this movie

It is incredibly sad!!! There are two young boys who were meant to be enemy's became best freinds 'till life's end! Bruno an naive little boy who did not know he was a Nazis and Shmuel an intelligent little Jewish boy. Bruno makes a daring trip to Shmuel's side of the fence and he tells Shmuel "You are my best friend, my best friend for life" and that was true they were friends until life's end.
Adult Written bydoglovermegan12 June 10, 2015

Take Caution for Young Viewers

This movie is incredibly sad and has a cruel twist of an ending to it. The story is told through the eyes of an 8 year old, giving us a rather limited view at first. As the story unfolds, we along with Bruno, start to see the war as it is. The movie tells it's story and portrays it's message straightforwardly, not hiding anything. It is because of this that caution should be taken for those who watch it. The ending won't leave your mind for a while, so get ready to discuss after watching.
Kid, 11 years old March 16, 2015

Heartbreaking movie.

This movie is not just teaching us about tolerances, but also talks about the importance of history. This movie explains of what's it like back then. Bruno may be a German but he put his heart to a boy. He's an example of Oskar Schindler (well, kind of). However in this movie there is some qualms to this. This movie breaks your heart, to be honest it did for me. The boy in the Striped Pajamas is like The Boy on the Wooden Box. This movie is the best heartbreaking movie, of my life.