All member reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Holocaust drama sensitive, but never sentimental.

Adult Written bywonder dove March 29, 2009

Powerful film, a must see!!

This film is powerful! I wasn't expecting it to be as good as it was. The story is heart breaking and the ending is quite shocking. It will stick with you for many days after watching! The acting is amazing especially coming from the child actors. Definitely a must watch for 17's and up, but appropriate for mature minded tweens. I will watch this one again!!
Kid, 9 years old July 6, 2009

HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?

this was a very good movie but the story.... the story is sad. When the movie ended and the credits roled down i was already crying my eyes out. When i showed my younger 9 year old cousin the trailer for this movie she just didnt understand what the boy behind the fence was going through and treated it like a joke. But if she had sene the movie she would have sene how cruel pepole can be and that the holocaust was no laughing matter. What happened to these boys was OUTRAGING AND TERRIBLY SAD. If your child is 11 years or younger in age have them read the book before they watch this movie.After i watched this movie i asked myself one question.... HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO CRUEL?! but i never got an answer.
Teen, 13 years old Written byPhillipians4verse8 April 14, 2011

There is no use of "f---ing". Everything is offscreen. It's a very, very non-explicit and a film people should watch. The ending isn't explicit, but NOT FOR KIDS!!
Parent of a 7 year old Written bykatilady6 October 22, 2009

Not for children, disturbing even as an adult

Oh my please do not let your children watch this movie. My husband and I saw it and were disturbed. This was what went on in that time period, yes but WOW is it disturbing. PLEASE PLEASE do not show it to your children.
Parent of a 14 year old Written bykalley11 May 21, 2009

how wonderful a movie!

this is a very good movie I wish there was no bad language though.
Adult Written bymuchkasmom November 30, 2008

A Must See!!

This is a beautiful, well made film about the Holocaust. It's advertised as a family film but young children will not understand some of what's going on. My almost 12 year old loved it although during our discussion she wasn't sure of exactly what was happening at the end. I think one has to have a bit of backgroud on the Holocaust. Wonderful acting and a story that moves along keeping you on the edge of your seat all add to it's brilliance. One of the best films I've seen in a very long time.
Teen, 14 years old Written byMovieboy23 May 9, 2013

Boy In the Striped PJs

I think that this show "Boy in the Striped pajamas" I a very good show. It does sugar coat the holocaust a little but otherwise it is an ok view on what happened in the holocaust.
Parent Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Best Holocaust Movie for Young Children

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a very good, educational movie that I highly suggest for family viewing. However, I do not suggest showing the movie to children without first discussing the Holocaust with them so that they have a better understanding of the movie and the issues it discusses. There could be some slightly inappropriate content as far as language and violence, so it's important as a parent to view this movie first to make sure that you feel comfortable sharing this material with your child. In my opinion, it is one of the best, non-graphic, Holocaust films and a good tool to teach young children about the topic of the Holocaust in an age-appropriate way.
Kid, 10 years old September 11, 2011

Very Sad..

I felt bad for when Bruno, Shmuel, and the other Jewish men were gassed in that hut. No one deserves to be treated like that.. Oh, and really? A SHOWER?!?! How is THAT a shower?! Ok, *ahem* I'm sorry. Well, I didn't really cry at all. I still felt bad.. I HATE RACISM!! I really felt bad for mostly, Shmuel.. Poor, poor, boy. The gas chamber thing is still haunting me.. But soon after that, since in was 10:00 p.m. when I watched it, and it was supposed to end at 12:00 a.m., my mom woke up because of when Bruno's mom was crying. She turned off the tv ~_-'!!!! I watched most of it though.
Teen, 15 years old Written bysuperq4898 June 23, 2011

Ah-Maz-ing!

It was such a great movie! I loved it with all my heart! But in the middle/end I had to turn it off. I cried because of what the little boy's father did to him and his friend! Its a positive message because the Bruno didn't care what Shultz looked like he wanted to help.
Parent of a 17 year old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

SAD.

WARNING: CONTAINS A HUGE SPOILER whoa!!!!!! that movie was SAD! and vilont. Pour bruno and Shymol! who would do such a thing to two children?! It's just sick!!!!!!!!
Parent Written bytdod July 16, 2012

Upsetting, yet Good.

I think this film is an excellent choice. However, my children, Ruby and Jasper, found it quite upsetting at the end when the pow's went into the holocourst and they were told it was just a shower. I am going to let my year 7 class see this film as i am a humanities teacher.
Teen, 17 years old Written byabbacus June 8, 2012

Love it!

Just as good as the book! Really good movie for older tweens and up. The cruel behavior of adults in this movie will be too much for younger or sensitive kids.
Teen, 14 years old Written byBieberFreakinFever December 29, 2011

ONE OF THE SADEST MOST MOVEING MOVIES OF ALL THE CENTURY.

I loved this movie. It was so moveing and so extremly sad and depressing. It tells and reveals a great deal about the holocaust and at the end the two main characters( which are two 8 year old boys) and other concentration camp prisoners are gassed to death. The end was truly heartbreaking and really opened my eye up to what the holocaust really was. Let me just say i am so glad that terrible war is over. R.I.P all you innocent jewish people. May something like this never EVER happen again.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycinnagurl June 6, 2011

get to know it prepare yourself

i was so affected by this movie. it took me 2 months to stop thinking about it. you could watch after you are better educated about the holucoust. i could not sleep all night
Kid, 12 years old June 4, 2011

Very, very, very sad movie!

In this movie they really get you attached to the main character " Bruno ". I like this movie because it shows that it doesnt matter what you are, it matters what you are INSIDE. Bruno and Schmaul were great kids who were innocent 100%. Its really horrible what the Germans did in the World War 2! Not suitable for kids under 12!
Parent of a 8 and 14 year old Written bymselle2002 November 8, 2010

Definitely a sad movie. For teens and adults only.

Watched this movie with my 14 year old son in an effort to help him research a project on WWII. I wanted to show him, rather than tell him, what kind of atrocities come out of hatred and fanaticism. WOW, it opened some discussions, but I have to say, it bothered me to watch the conclusion. I'm sure that was the point, but it was a very difficult scene to watch. Very sad. Perhaps the only positive points I could find were 'loyalty' amongst friends and 'the innocence and lack of bigotry' in children.
Teen, 13 years old Written byBeliefs-Wonder May 4, 2010

Wow, yet still people laugh about Jews. . . .

All I can say is, I'm so sorry. . It was an amazing movie and book, I cried at the end of both of them. What would I have done to save all of them. Anything. I would have done anything. Next time I see anyone with a Nazi sign at school, I take it, I burn it. Unless its on their skin, then I'll rub it off their skin. They have no clue what it means, they think, but not really KNOW. Never EVER like the Nazi's, not after what they did.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFreedomGirl March 26, 2010

Best friends for life. . . and after life.

I thought it was SO sad. . . . I wished that the ending was differen't, but that's what happened. . . I think people should watch this. . I know it's very sad, but that's what happened back then. People need to see these things to make sure it will never happen again. Believe me, I wished none of them got gased. . I don't care if they're jew, gypsy, white, black, hispanic. . . or anything else, I would have never stooped to putting inoccent people in consintration camps. . . I think it is so sweet how those boys became best friends, dispite differences. Sometimes it takes a child to show a grown-up how foolish they are. To think, the leader of that death camp's own son died. . BECAUSE of the death camp, because of the nazis, and because of him. I'm crying typing this, so I will stop for now. But I believe people should watch it, but at least 12 and over.
Educator Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009

This was a fantastic movie. The storyline depicts the true reality that Jews were real people as a young son of a German military officer befriends a boy in a Jewish concentration camp. The ending is very strong, and I highly suggest watching this flick with your child, no matter what age!! Be prepared to discuss the holocaust, as viewers will not fully understand the movie without a basic knowledge. Many parts are alluded to, i.e. the smoke and smell coming from "the farm", are a reference to the burning of Jews in Auschwitz.