Parent reviews for The Boy in the Striped Pajamas

Holocaust drama sensitive, but never sentimental.

Adult Written byflipflops2012 October 23, 2011

Best Holocaust Movie for Young Children

The Boy in the Striped Pajamas is a very good, educational movie that I highly suggest for family viewing. However, I do not suggest showing the movie to children without first discussing the Holocaust with them so that they have a better understanding of the movie and the issues it discusses. There could be some slightly inappropriate content as far as language and violence, so it's important as a parent to view this movie first to make sure that you feel comfortable sharing this material with your child. In my opinion, it is one of the best, non-graphic, Holocaust films and a good tool to teach young children about the topic of the Holocaust in an age-appropriate way.
Parent of a 2, 11, 17, and 18+-year-old Written bytish0000 March 24, 2011
Adult Written byAlphaZK93 January 23, 2011

Great high-school aged alternative to Schindler's List

First off, I've never seen Schindler's List due to it's R rating. One of the reasons I liked this film so much was because it was able to super-accurately show what happened during the Holocaust without actually "showing" it. All of the horrors that took place were almost always implied (since we are with the young boy most of the time, and the adults try to hide the exact goings on around him. But anyone who's studied WWII would know what the adults were hinting about). Be careful with younger children. THE ENDING IS REALLY DEPRESSING and could actually really disturb anyone that is close to the age of Bruno, since he's like 8 or something. Please. PLEASE. This is definitely PG-13. Not PG-5. or PG-9. PG-13.

Parent of a 9-year-old Written byToddyLegs November 24, 2010

Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - 13+ - essential viewing

Fantastic film with devastating ending. Probably OK for 13+. IMO kids should be starting to learn about the Holocaust at that age and this is a suitable introduction. Wouldn't dream of showing it to my 9 year old.
Parent of a 8 and 14-year-old Written bymselle2002 November 8, 2010

Definitely a sad movie. For teens and adults only.

Watched this movie with my 14 year old son in an effort to help him research a project on WWII. I wanted to show him, rather than tell him, what kind of atrocities come out of hatred and fanaticism. WOW, it opened some discussions, but I have to say, it bothered me to watch the conclusion. I'm sure that was the point, but it was a very difficult scene to watch. Very sad. Perhaps the only positive points I could find were 'loyalty' amongst friends and 'the innocence and lack of bigotry' in children.

Parent of a 12-year-old Written byDareles September 15, 2010
There were two movies that I watched as a child that some may perceive as too graphic: "Roots" and "The Hiding Place". Those two movies moved me in a way that affected me forever. What happened in those movies was inhuman. I learned the truth about things that cannot be demonstrated through reading about it. You better believe that after seeing those two movies I had a new respect for others. In that sense, I think it is important for young kids to watch it (that is if they can handle it) My son was 10 1/2 or 11. He doesnt' show much emotion but I know it made an impact. He is even more sensitive to the treatment of others especially those of different race or religion. This movie will be very heartwrenching but it will show the ugly truth about hatred. I hope you too will be changed. I was.

Adult Written bygoodmum January 11, 2010
This is very well done movie, but very disturbing in the end. My 14-year-old daughter is pretty mature, but very sensitive and could hardly watch the final 20 minutes - she figured out what was going to happen before it did. The message of this move is so potent, but really leaves you feeling helpless and grief-stricken in the end. The movie bills itself as a story of the boys' friendship, but the real message is deeper and harsher and pointed at the adults of the time period.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written byJldubeu November 21, 2009

Kinda,Kinda

I think it's good for children to learn about the holocaust but it's also violent and strong. If you want to see it be careful if you have a child.

Adult Written bysb34chick November 21, 2009
This was a fantastic movie. The storyline depicts the true reality that Jews were real people as a young son of a German military officer befriends a boy in a Jewish concentration camp. The ending is very strong, and I highly suggest watching this flick with your child, no matter what age!! Be prepared to discuss the holocaust, as viewers will not fully understand the movie without a basic knowledge. Many parts are alluded to, i.e. the smoke and smell coming from "the farm", are a reference to the burning of Jews in Auschwitz.

Parent of a 11-year-old Written bymaleaab October 6, 2009

The end is traumatic...iffy for anyone under 16.

Until the last 10 minutes we thought this was an excellent film. The last 10 minutes are incredibly important to the story and highlight both the beauty and beastliness of humanity. The film would have been incomplete without those scenes.

However, the end is extremely emotional, to a degree that most under 16 will not be equipped to deal with. My son is 11 and has vast knowledge of World War II, Concentration Camps, and more. He is also extremely mature. We loved the film but the end was too much for him to process.

Parent of a 17-year-old Written bylove2 September 24, 2009

SAD.

WARNING: CONTAINS A HUGE SPOILER whoa!!!!!! that movie was SAD! and vilont. Pour bruno and Shymol! who would do such a thing to two children?! It's just sick!!!!!!!!

Parent of a 11-year-old Written bymickeyfynn June 20, 2009

Great movie - Not for kids

I thought this movie was well directed and acted with a great story line. However, the content of the Holocost was very shocking, especially at the very end. I did not read the ratings here before our family watched it with our 11 year old. He was horrified with the scenes in the movie and that something like this could have actually happened in our history. A great movie to watch, just not for kids.

Parent of a 14-year-old Written bykalley11 May 21, 2009

how wonderful a movie!

this is a very good movie I wish there was no bad language though.

Adult Written byfarrell1 May 9, 2009