All member reviews for The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Tween-friendly adaptation is darker than the first.

Adult Written byOC Dad April 9, 2008

Great family Adventure

Took our 8 and 10 year old to see the movie. A couple of scenes where a little scary and there certainly is a lot of violence. The violence is without gore, but know your kids. If the kids can handle star wars type movies they'll be fine. If I had two girls I'd be very excited because the female characters are strong, brave, level headed and independent. Good stuff. The opportunity for talking about life lessons: Mercy, pride, when to ask for help, friendship, diversity, different gifts, etc... is endless. See it on the big screen! See it digital if you can--beautiful. length...didn't check my watch once...moved quickly. My 10 year old totally engrossed. 8 year old had a few wiggles and found one scene to be cause for sitting on papa's lap.
Teen, 13 years old Written bysuper movie reviewer January 1, 2010

okish PG rated film is vilont

the first one is vilont but this one is even more vilont!!! It has lots of battles throughout the movie instead of one big one at the end like the last one. Wow i think the third one is going to be rated PG-13!
Parent of a 5, 6, and 8 year old Written bysmille April 9, 2008

Purists may balk, but PC is a faithful adaption.

Get past Ben Barnes prettiness, and you can clearly see the heart of C.S. Lewis' tale. Parents should watch out for the violence threshold of their children. My 8-year-old navigated the waters well, with LOTS of question and answers about war, fighting and God's intentions of both.
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 8, 2013

"Prince Caspain" not king of the Narnian movies. And THIS MOVIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN PG-13!

Prince Caspian is nowhere near as good as the Lion,the Witch,and The Wardrobe or the Voyage of the Dawn Treader. This movie has neither the wonder of Narnia found in LLW nor the adventure of VOTDT. This movie is lacking the quality of story the other Narnia movies provide. It gets off to an okay start and has a decent ending. But too much of this movie seems to consist of incoherent battle scenes. Action and battle seem to take over at expense of story in large parts of this movie. The battle scenes don't dominate the book in the same way the do in the movie. The book offers MUCH more depth of story,espeically with more development regard to the children figuring out they have returned to Cair Paravel hundreds of years later and the history of Caspian. I also could have done without the suggested romances in the movie,however brief they might have been. While the visual work on this movie is good,and I enjoyed "The call" enough to purchase an MP3 version of the song,overall this movie disappointed me. Then there's the tension between Peter and Caspian,which is totally out of line as there is NONE of it in the book. Parents should aware that there is very high level of violence in this film and it probably should have been PG-13. While there isn't any gore or anything graphic,a number of loud and long scenes of violence with swords are included in this movie and it's overall tone is pretty violent. While middle schoolers and above should be able to cope with Prince Caspian,it is not for elementary school children. A lack of quality story and an overemphasis on battle scenes caused this movie to be a disappointment. Sex/sexuality: Just the one kissing scene which is brief. Not much of a concern. Language: The 1 out 5 is accurate: No profanity. Idiot and shut up are used. If the worst language in a movie is shut up then that's VERY mild. Drugs.alcohol,and tobacco: None at all. Emotionally intensity: 1 out 5. This is much more of an action movie than an emotional movie. There is a feeling of sadness when it is realized that Peter and Susan will never return to Narnia. Violence: 4 out 5. While there are no guns in this movie and while the violence is mostly non gory and non graphic,the 3 out 5 understates the amount of violence in this film. The movie largely consists of loud extended battle scenes that are very violent. The sword violence is loud,cringeworthy,and constant through the movie. Rating: Should have been PG-13. Far too violent for PG. Absolutely off for: Toddlers,preschoolers,kindergarteners,and elementary school children. Absolutely on for: Middle schoolers and older. How faithful is it to the book?: 40%
Adult Written byrodenparker April 9, 2008

Exciting but a little less wondersome

I took my son to see it (he's 7) and he loved it. There were plenty of 5-9 year olds there. Some of the younger ones might have been scared at a few scenes (white witch, battles) but it was fine for my son. The violence is mostly battles w/o blood. Pretty good movie. I liked the first one better since it introduced you to Narnia and it was all wondersome the first time. Still, a good movie to check out. OK for 7+.
Teen, 15 years old Written byMiranda B. January 17, 2011

Second Narnia installment packs a punch!

Though it may be darker than the Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe it still packs a punch. I saw it in theaters 4 times, and since it has come out on DVD at least a hundred times more, some with my sister (10) who absolutely loves it... except when I say every single line. (I do tend to do that.) We both have our favorite characters and for different and honorable reasons. My sister likes Prince Caspian because though he was able to escape from his murderous uncle he returned to gain his rightful place on the throne, avenge his father's murder, and free his beloved tutor. My favorites were Prince Peter and Prince Edmund. Peter because though he acted completely self-absorbed for the first half of the movie, forgetting who had really killed the White Witch... he came to his senses and fought Miraz (Caspian's uncle) to restore peace in Narnia. I choose Edmund because not only is he extremely jaw-droppingly gorgeous but he does the best he can to keep his older brother's attitude in check. All the while he manages to turn his brother's words against him, giving the crowd a good laugh: "I know, I know, you had it sorted." With any medieval themed movie there's bound to be battles; battles where people and mythical creatures are brutally killed. Since this is PG and described as a kids movie the deaths aren't detailed, but enough so that older audiences don't fall asleep. I just wish Lucy would act her age, which for the record is the same as mine, and stop acting like a wimp who can't do anything for herself. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Adult Written bydmym April 9, 2008

Very violent

I was so uncomfortable with the violence that I walked out of the theater. "No blood and gore" does not make a movie non-violent. I found it particulary disturbing to watch children killing people. My daughter will not be watching this movie until she is 13 or older. We'll stick with the books.
Adult Written byaliyan.wali.33 July 5, 2015

This movie was much more violent than The Lion, Witch and Wardrobe. They changed the story a lot from the book and added a lot of scenes that were not in the book. There are a lot of war scenes that could be disturbing for younger children. When Edmund drops a flashlight, it causes a ... read more

Teen, 13 years old Written byzealouswriter2 October 7, 2010

Great for kids age 7-15

Its pretty good,especially for those kids who are into magical creatures,lands and fantasies.But I would recommend watching the first movie to understand this one better.
Teen, 14 years old Written byIce_Princess December 19, 2009

Everyone should see this!!!!!

It doesn't matter which age you are, or if you like thriller more than fantasy you'll like it. There a warmth in the story and a deep meaning of life, friendship, God..... You maybe think:"Oh, a talking lion - how stupid!", but believe me it's much more into it. It's a little darker and more violent than the first one, but not a lot.
Parent of a 8 and 10 year old Written bymiawicklund May 8, 2009

Your young princes deserve a better movie!

The battle scenes were excessively violent and did not add to the story. We understand the conflict and only one face-off is necessary. Very gratuitous and not much else.
Adult Written bysmart01 April 9, 2008

LOVED IT!!!!

We took our 12 & 9 year olds to this. My 12 year old seemed a little board until the middle of the movie. My 9 year old had read the book in 8 days, so needless to say he loved it. I did not have any issues with the fighting of the movie, no blood was shown. I did not think the fighting was that bad. This has a great biblical sense to it. We loved it and will by it on DVD.
Adult Written byAmojo10 April 9, 2008

One of the great family films to all ages

I was eagerly awaiting to see this film, and Prince Caspian did not disappoint. I took my four children (ages 5-11) and they all really enjoyed the movie as much as I did. The action of this movie starts from the beginning and continues throughout. This movie does have a little bit more violence, but the violence is not of the gory type. The imagery of this film is incredible, and Aslan is that much more. He is so much larger in this film and once you see the movie, you will understand. The Ice Princess makes a brief appearance but is cut short thanks to Edmond. Overall, the movie is great and you do not have to worry about a thing when you bring your children to watch it. And if you are a person of the Christian faith, there is so much that you walk away from this movie with. This movie will allow you to discuss many different topics with your children, and with other people as well. Go, and enjoy with whomever. peace to you
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2016

More violent than the first

I liked this movie more than the first one but it is A LOT more violent than the first. This movie is probably better for tweens and teens. There is an epic one-on-one battle but it might be intense for younger viewers. People are stabbed, chased, and shot with arrows. This movie is very good and a favorite pick for me.
Teen, 17 years old Written byVishnu The Great September 4, 2013

adventure beckons

awesome movie..........great adventure.
Parent Written bybabysitrcares December 31, 2010

More violent than the other Narnia Films

Good movie, but it's violent and a little scary for younger kids.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byCarynB May 20, 2009

Good Movie

While I have to admit the violence was there I don't think it was that excessive. I am a very strict parent when it comes to what movies we allow in our home but the moral lessons of this movie far outweight the violence.
Adult Written byMom_and_Son February 11, 2009

It was PG, what?!

The only reason this movie was PG was because of a few comiedic relief lines and the fact that the first one was PG. Very very very Dark for a PG off for 8 and younger. 9-12 parents cautioned. P.S. Twilight even wasn't as dark.
Parent of a 1, 8, 9, and 14 year old Written bythejokerspencil January 28, 2009