All member reviews for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Engaging third Narnia adventure is fun for tweens and up.

Kid, 8 years old April 10, 2011
Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 17, 2011

A strong plot and strong characters continues a wonderful movie series.

For those who were disappointed that Reepicheep didn't have enough screen time in Prince Caspian then fear no more; he receives a fairly large part in the movie, most of which he spends antagonizing Eustace, Lucy and Edmund's cousin. Peter and Susan appear only briefly in a sort of daydream of Lucy's where she is Susan. This, I suppose, is nice because you are opened up to the two youngest Pevensie's and learn more about them without the older two stealing the spotlight. Edmund attempts (and succeeds) to fill his brother's shoes while also letting Caspian rule since he's the current king of Narnia. This proves to be a little hard when a certain green mist pits them against each other at one point, almost causing them to come to blows. Luckily, Lucy steps in and stops them. Some images like the giant sea monster (it kinda freaked me out) that Edmund accidentally conjures from his mind would definitely scare younger children. At the same time though, the strong Christian background and theme shines through: Aslan actually says to Lucy "In your world you shall know me by another name." That surprised me that Disney would be so outright with religion, but it was still overall very entertaining. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 December 31, 2010

If you liked the other Narnia movies then this one is great.

Very engaging - lots of action and funny. Mild language issues ("crap"). Final scene can get a bit intense for a sensitive young child (7-8) but if they have seen the other Narnia movies, this one is fine.
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 9, 2013

The epitome of Narniaian adventure

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a wonderful adventure. While Prince Caspian was a big disappointment,this movie returns the wonder of Narnia found in The Lion,the,Witch,and the Wardrobe. Now,the Voyage of the Dawn is not NEARLY as literal a book to movie translation as the Lion,the Witch,and the Wardrobe was,the spirit of the story is absolutely preserved. The feeling of adventure our now seafaring friends provide in the book is absolutely present in the movie. The order in which they find each of places is somewhat different in the movie than in the book but they are all there. The biggest change from the book to the movie is that the key plot point involving Eustace occurs much later in the film than it did in the book. The Voyage of The Dawn Treader is an exceptionally well made movie that really captures the spirit of it' s story. The visual work and acting is the best of the 3 Narnia films. The change of order of events doesn't bother me at all. They hit all the important places and the plot and spirit of the story is captured well. I also really liked the character moment where Caspian decides to stay in Narnia rather than seek his father in Aslan's country. His comments "I don't think my father would be proud if I gave up everything he died for." And "I've spent too much time wanting what was taken from me and not what I was given." speak to a reflective and maturing character and I thought that was a nice bit of character development. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a family friendly film and is perfectly appropriate for anyone in 1st grade or older. Pause for those below 1st grade because of the sea serpent. I highly recommend this wonderful adventure movie. Sex/sexuality: Not an issue. Drugs,alcohol,and tobacco: None at all. Language: The 1 out of 5 is accurate. No profanity. Just some mild insults. Emotional intensity: 1 out of 5. Not much. There is a feeling of sadness when it is realized that Edmund and Lucy will never return to Narnia. Violence: 2 of 5. The least amount in the series. The sea serpent can be scary and there is some sword stuff but it's a pretty tame movie overall. Absolutely on for: 1st graders and older. Pause for anyone younger. How faithful is it to the book?: 80% Positive role models: Caspian for sure. And he makes his decision and his own. Aslan does not give Caspian advice on whether to seek his father or stay in Narnia,only that his choice cannot be undone. Caspian then reflects and makes the mature and responsible choice to stay in Narnia and fulfill his duties as king. Positive messages: The story of Eustace gives a good message that a person can change and become a better person.
Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2010

Really good for 9+

I thought this movie was very entertaining. Gives quite good messages. Lucy has really grown up from the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe! Very good movie
Teen, 16 years old Written bybluelego94 December 29, 2010

Great For Everyone!

It was yet another great Narnia movie. It was very funny, it had action, and it was a thrilling adventure. I think it was better than Prince Caspian. For those of you who read the book, it isnt as bad as some movies that go from novel to movie, they did a decent job with it. Its rated PG and I think that is a good rating. The only thing that was bad was a scary monster in it but it looked pretty cool. I would recomend this to my friends and family. You should probably go take a look. I hoped this helped you. Have a nice day.
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2015

OK

A few jumpy scares. The sea monster is definitely not your average ocean dragon, scarier than should have been. Prince Caspian was much better. The ending was a bit awkward. Once again, Edmund manages to mess up their near perfect quest, causing the plot. (aka, it was incredibly predictable) Oh, well.
Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2013

The Best Narnia Movie of All Time!

Oh I just love this movie! But I always cry at the end when everyone has to leave. Especially Reep. :') And then my tears always end when they return back to their world. The best Narnia movie of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old October 13, 2012

THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER

third movie is really good
Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2012

AMAZING!

This movie is AMAZING! I highly recommend. Read the book before though. I was a little sad because they didn't keep to the book in some parts, but it was still an amazing movie. Well done, Disney! I dislike the scene with the sea serpent, just too gory and weird...not much how the book was. Good movie though!
Kid, 12 years old February 9, 2012

tommy's family friendly review

ITS A GREAT MOVIE BUT THERE IS VIOLENCE AND THEMATIC ELEMENTS
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 November 18, 2011

Scary Sea Monster Scene...... But Still Fantastic!

I go to a Christian school and we went on a field trip to see this movie (as the books are supposed to be versions of Bible stories: Aslan=Jesus, White Witch=Satan/Temptation, etc.) It was great to see Caspian again (he only got hotter :P) and the character development. A little girl sees her mother captured by mist and it's disturbing to see her screaming. Towards the end, there is an intense scene with a sea serpent, which is pretty scary. The characters cannot think of any of their fears, as the sea monster can read thoughts and will turn into such until you are driven to insanity. I think the serpent is another representation of Satan and temptation. I love this movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byILuvCats November 5, 2011

Good but a little scary for younger kids

Scary parts for younger kids but great. My favorite Narnia movie so far. If you didn't like Prince Caspian then try this one, its made by 20th century so its better. Very awesome.
Parent of a 8 and 13 year old Written byCollegeGirl_Kid... January 6, 2011
This was an amazing movie with a little bit for everyone. The graphics and story were amazing, however the sea creature was a bit intense for younger children. The cousin, who starts out as a brat, is a character you still fall in love with and has a major transformation by the end of the movie. Sex, which is marked on this review, is NOT an issue. Seeing two people flirt for an instance and one implicated "pretty girl" don't make a sex issue, even 1 on a scale of 5. I highly recommend this movie. In fact, those I went with and others I have spoke to all agree that this one may be better than the first!
Parent of a 3, 5, 7, 9, 9, and 10 year old Written bytheotherSarah January 1, 2011

Really enjoyed it

The Chronicles of Narnia (books) are a family favorite, and we liked this adaptation. Not entirely true to the book (there are some additions to the plot), but the feel of the story is Narnian and we enjoyed it thoroughly.
Parent of a 11 and 14 year old Written byshifley December 13, 2010

Good movie, 3D not necessary.

Good movie. The 3D effects were not worth it, though. We love the book and the movie does it justice.
Teen, 13 years old Written byStellarTiger292 August 10, 2016

Vapid and unfaithful adaptation fails to capture the richness and depth of the book

I have a sad announcement to make: the Narnia film series has crossed the event horizon. I seriously hoped that this movie would improve from and redeem the series from the massive disappointment that was Prince Caspian. However, the series has gone from simply focusing on the more epic scale part of the story than the characters that the book chiefly focused on (The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) to dragging out the story, jumbling the timeline, and adding pointless battles (Prince Caspian), to becoming an extremely vapid husk of a movie (The Voyage of the Dawn Treader). However, I will say that I like this movie a little bit better than Prince Caspian because it is not as long, and I don't have to endure the unfaithfulness as long. In this movie the characters are boring, while the book is full of character development. The book contained so many beautiful and captivating scenes; even some of the preachy Aslan scenes were amazing. Despite the fact that I identify as an atheist and a feminist, I love the works of C. S. Lewis, and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader was my second favorite Narnia book (The Last Battle was my favorite). The book was rich and deep, but the movie was insipid. Eustace was insufferable and infuriating in the book, and it was such a relief to see him change, he was pointless and boring in the movie. The Narnia series (and all of Lewis's work) has great dialogue and interplay between characters. Like Prince Caspian, all of that was gone in this movie. The book was devoid of battles, this movie had pointless battles. Two key characters, Gumpas (the villainous Governor of the Lone Islands) and Ramandu (the retired star) were missing. There was no central villain in the book; the movie added an unintimidating Green Mist as the villain. The quest to find the Seven Lords, and eventually reach the End of the World was replaced with a ridiculous quest for Magic Swords that will destroy Dark Island, the pinnacle of all evil in Narnia. Dark Island was in the book, but it was not the pinnacle of all evil Narnia, and was easily destroyed by Aslan. Also, the Sea Serpent encountered early in the book was instead found in Dark Island as a representation of Edmund's fear. The movie also added ridiculous subplots involving Rhince and his family, Edmund feeling that he was not as good as Peter, and Lucy wanting to be pretty. Yes, Lucy did want to be pretty in the book, but only one scene focused on that. Also, the two GOOD Aslan scenes in the book (the redemption of Eustace and encountering him at the end) were rushed and boring. Also, the other two movie managed to improve Aslan's character, in this one he was (for atheists like me) just what he was in the book: a cold dictator that brainwashed his subjects with his golden fur. Also, the actors were two old for their characters. As for the violence, this is the least violent of the Narnia films. There is a battle with a sea serpent, which involves arrows, swords and an allied dragon (spoiler alert, it's Eustace). There is a bloodless sword fight early on in the movie. People are sacrificed to the Green Mist, but it is not violent (and the movie is so bland it is impossible to care about these characters). The Green Mist tries to capture Eustace, but he escapes. Lucy desires to be attractive to the opposite sex, and Edmund and Caspian are spellbound by the star Lilliandil's appearance. Also, there are Christian themes of following truth and redemption in this movie, but they have been dumbed down from the books. Overall, this is a vapid, two star movie adapted from a deep, five star book.
Kid, 11 years old June 27, 2016

My favorite!

This movie is my favorite out of the three. It is probably best for middle school kids and up. I love how Lucy wants to be more beautiful but by the end she knows how beautiful she already is. There are some scary parts for young children like people being taken away by "the mist" and a giant sea monster. There are some battle scenes but not as bad as the second one. Overall, this movie is my favorite out of them. I recommend it to everyone.
Teen, 13 years old Written byIamtheOstrich June 14, 2016

Kids may be scared but tweens, teens, and even some adults will be captivated.

This is a wonderful movie. If you are of the Christian faith, you won't mind many of the biblical undertones of this series, and will grow a respect for them. Many scary scenes of peril, a group of innocent people on a lifeboat are 'swallowed' by a cloud of fog and mist. The mist tempts many main characters to do bad things, i.e. Edmund and Caspian fight over who will be king, Lucy steals a spell from a spell book, Eustace takes gold from a dragon's cave. A threatening sea serpent nearly kills several main characters towards the end. Lucy spends about half of the movie wishing she was sexually attractive like her older sister, and even steals a spell to make more beautiful. Allusions to Heaven, God, the after-life, and Christianity, beautiful messages if you believe in those things.
Kid, 9 years old August 24, 2013

I LOVE IT

I thought it was fantastic but it was a little scary when Eustace turns into a Dragon My favourite part was when Reepicheep the mouse is fighting Eustace I would love to have a ship like the dawntreader.