All member reviews for The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

Engaging third Narnia adventure is fun for tweens and up.

Kid, 8 years old April 10, 2011

Teen, 15 years old Written byOGORMAN January 17, 2011

A strong plot and strong characters continues a wonderful movie series.

For those who were disappointed that Reepicheep didn't have enough screen time in Prince Caspian then fear no more; he receives a fairly large part in the movie, most of which he spends antagonizing Eustace, Lucy and Edmund's cousin. Peter and Susan appear only briefly in a sort of daydream of Lucy's where she is Susan. This, I suppose, is nice because you are opened up to the two youngest Pevensie's and learn more about them without the older two stealing the spotlight. Edmund attempts (and succeeds) to fill his brother's shoes while also letting Caspian rule since he's the current king of Narnia. This proves to be a little hard when a certain green mist pits them against each other at one point, almost causing them to come to blows. Luckily, Lucy steps in and stops them. Some images like the giant sea monster (it kinda freaked me out) that Edmund accidentally conjures from his mind would definitely scare younger children. At the same time though, the strong Christian background and theme shines through: Aslan actually says to Lucy "In your world you shall know me by another name." That surprised me that Disney would be so outright with religion, but it was still overall very entertaining. Comments? Questions? Concerns? Email me: ogormanscommonsense at yahoo. :)
Parent of a 10 year old Written bySandlot812 December 31, 2010

If you liked the other Narnia movies then this one is great.

Very engaging - lots of action and funny. Mild language issues ("crap"). Final scene can get a bit intense for a sensitive young child (7-8) but if they have seen the other Narnia movies, this one is fine.
Teen, 16 years old Written bybluelego94 December 29, 2010

Great For Everyone!

It was yet another great Narnia movie. It was very funny, it had action, and it was a thrilling adventure. I think it was better than Prince Caspian. For those of you who read the book, it isnt as bad as some movies that go from novel to movie, they did a decent job with it. Its rated PG and I think that is a good rating. The only thing that was bad was a scary monster in it but it looked pretty cool. I would recomend this to my friends and family. You should probably go take a look. I hoped this helped you. Have a nice day.
Kid, 11 years old December 28, 2010

Really good for 9+

I thought this movie was very entertaining. Gives quite good messages. Lucy has really grown up from the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe! Very good movie
Kid, 12 years old January 10, 2015

OK

A few jumpy scares. The sea monster is definitely not your average ocean dragon, scarier than should have been. Prince Caspian was much better. The ending was a bit awkward. Once again, Edmund manages to mess up their near perfect quest, causing the plot. (aka, it was incredibly predictable) Oh, well.
Kid, 11 years old May 22, 2013

The Best Narnia Movie of All Time!

Oh I just love this movie! But I always cry at the end when everyone has to leave. Especially Reep. :') And then my tears always end when they return back to their world. The best Narnia movie of all time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kid, 9 years old October 13, 2012

THE VOYAGE OF THE DAWN TREADER

third movie is really good
Kid, 11 years old March 12, 2012

AMAZING!

This movie is AMAZING! I highly recommend. Read the book before though. I was a little sad because they didn't keep to the book in some parts, but it was still an amazing movie. Well done, Disney! I dislike the scene with the sea serpent, just too gory and weird...not much how the book was. Good movie though!
Kid, 12 years old February 9, 2012

tommy's family friendly review

ITS A GREAT MOVIE BUT THERE IS VIOLENCE AND THEMATIC ELEMENTS
Teen, 13 years old Written byHeq073198 November 18, 2011

Scary Sea Monster Scene...... But Still Fantastic!

I go to a Christian school and we went on a field trip to see this movie (as the books are supposed to be versions of Bible stories: Aslan=Jesus, White Witch=Satan/Temptation, etc.) It was great to see Caspian again (he only got hotter :P) and the character development. A little girl sees her mother captured by mist and it's disturbing to see her screaming. Towards the end, there is an intense scene with a sea serpent, which is pretty scary. The characters cannot think of any of their fears, as the sea monster can read thoughts and will turn into such until you are driven to insanity. I think the serpent is another representation of Satan and temptation. I love this movie!
Teen, 13 years old Written byILuvCats November 5, 2011

Good but a little scary for younger kids

Scary parts for younger kids but great. My favorite Narnia movie so far. If you didn't like Prince Caspian then try this one, its made by 20th century so its better. Very awesome.
Written byAnonymous April 24, 2011

Worst narnia movie I have ever seen.

Narnia movies are getting worse and worse. The original narnia movie was a classic. True, it was a kids movie, but the entire family could actually watch it without falling asleep, and you would actually be quite entertained. The second movie was very good but seemed to be missing something. This movie is no step back. Instead, its more like a step into a pool of BURNING MAGMA. I cant even figure out who came up with the script and ideas for the last 20 minutes of the movie. I am so sick of the ridiculous amount of sentimental value. There is just so much sad music and in the last 20 minutes it's all perfect and the characters are being reminiscent of their great journey and discussing it and smiling and having a "jolly good" time. Everything was just so sad and sentimental that it made me want to cry..........NOT REALLY. In fact it made me want to puke. It was very stupid. Look, I know that no adult would probably watch this alone. Honestly adults will only watch this if they are watching it with their children, but even so, this movie should be appropriate for all. And it's not. Because anyone over 5 years old will find this incredibly tedious to watch. Now this is a bit violent as there is a major battle near the end. Guess what? Fairytale ending! Wooohoo! I've never seen a kids movie with good ending (except ALL of them). At the end the sunny, bright, perfect day makes the experience of watching this poor effort even worse. Not much thought went into actually making this movie entertaining. If they had to make it so annoying they could at least have used the book, but no! They change the story much more than I would have enjoyed. The only good thing to be said about this film is that the animation and such is at least at the same level as before and Georgie Henley and Will Poulter do a very good job. That's about all I can come up with for the positives in this movie because really I disliked it and can bearly stand to watch it. This movie is NOT WORTH IT and DO NOT waste your money and your time.
Kid, 9 years old August 24, 2013

I LOVE IT

I thought it was fantastic but it was a little scary when Eustace turns into a Dragon My favourite part was when Reepicheep the mouse is fighting Eustace I would love to have a ship like the dawntreader.
Teen, 14 years old Written byEmma80slover June 26, 2013

Awesome!

Amazing movie!!! It was perfect!!! I always cry at the end :( I highly recommend it!!
Adult Written byHarry Potter 1 June 9, 2013

The epitome of Narniaian adventure

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a wonderful adventure. While Prince Caspian was a big disappointment,this movie returns the wonder of Narnia found in The Lion,the,Witch,and the Wardrobe. Now,the Voyage of the Dawn is not NEARLY as literal a book to movie translation as the Lion,the Witch,and the Wardrobe was,the spirit of the story is absolutely preserved. The feeling of adventure our now seafaring friends provide in the book is absolutely present in the movie. The order in which they find each of places is somewhat different in the movie than in the book but they are all there. The biggest change from the book to the movie is that the key plot point involving Eustace occurs much later in the film than it did in the book. The Voyage of The Dawn Treader is an exceptionally well made movie that really captures the spirit of it' s story. The visual work and acting is the best of the 3 Narnia films. The change of order of events doesn't bother me at all. They hit all the important places and the plot and spirit of the story is captured well. I also really liked the character moment where Caspian decides to stay in Narnia rather than seek his father in Aslan's country. His comments "I don't think my father would be proud if I gave up everything he died for." And "I've spent too much time wanting what was taken from me and not what I was given." speak to a reflective and maturing character and I thought that was a nice bit of character development. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is a family friendly film and is perfectly appropriate for anyone in 1st grade or older. Pause for those below 1st grade because of the sea serpent. I highly recommend this wonderful adventure movie. Sex/sexuality: Not an issue. Drugs,alcohol,and tobacco: None at all. Language: The 1 out of 5 is accurate. No profanity. Just some mild insults. Emotional intensity: 1 out of 5. Not much. There is a feeling of sadness when it is realized that Edmund and Lucy will never return to Narnia. Violence: 2 of 5. The least amount in the series. The sea serpent can be scary and there is some sword stuff but it's a pretty tame movie overall. Absolutely on for: 1st graders and older. Pause for anyone younger. How faithful is it to the book?: 80% Positive role models: Caspian for sure. And he makes his decision and his own. Aslan does not give Caspian advice on whether to seek his father or stay in Narnia,only that his choice cannot be undone. Caspian then reflects and makes the mature and responsible choice to stay in Narnia and fulfill his duties as king. Positive messages: The story of Eustace gives a good message that a person can change and become a better person.
Teen, 16 years old Written bygoldenlion666 April 15, 2012

the chronicles of narnia the voyage of the dawn treader

good fantasy film
Teen, 16 years old Written bylotrlove March 4, 2012

Great but could be scary

Good film. Not as close to the book as the others but it makes for an enjoyable movie. Edmund's power struggle promotes the importance of working together. Lucy's struggle in the shadow of her sister Susan also touches on the importance of accepting who you are and not comparing yourself to others. There is some violence especially in a prolonged battle with a scary seaserpent. There is also a point where some of the characters are almost sold as slaves. This may be desturbing especially since a young girl is being bid on by old men. The only other problem parents might have is Eustace's bratty behavior at the beginning. Rest assured that he learns to change. Also, some characters are "eaten" by a mysterious mist. This scene could scare kids, but they are eventually returned. It might be a good idea to preview this before your kids, especially if they get scared easily. Great film overall
Kid, 10 years old December 21, 2011

Movie With Lots 'o' Tense Bits!

I watched this on TV and recorded it. My brother's friend who was seven wasn't scared and it all worked out well. So i'm not going to write a long intelligent review like I always do. The only problem is that there is some sword fighting and a scary scene with a sea monster. The mist may scare the sensitive ones.
Teen, 13 years old Written bycutiecat98 October 2, 2011

Narnia is really AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well im Narnia's number 1 fan!!!!!!!! I have been watching narnia since i was about 5 and its perfect for little kids!!!!!!!! If you see Narnia on the telly i would recommend you watch it with your child.At the end maybe your child will be frightend of the sea monster so maybe you should know your child first but i dont think it should be a problem as it has a happy ending lots of magic and a wonderful adventure!!!!!!!! No one dies and its an AWSOME movie!!!!!!!!!!!!!