All member reviews for The Cider House Rules

Thought-provoking movie for teens and up.

Teen, 14 years old Written byPoison Ivey October 29, 2009

if you liked Forrest Gump, then I'm sure you'll like this movie

****CONTAINS SPOILERS**** Sorry, Didn't mean to post that first rating =o. Anyways, I'm suprised CSM didn't give this movie more stars, cause I watched it just recently and I really liked it! It was pretty okay, not much innapropriate, until I got to the part with Rose and stuff and I was just like shocked... and it does deal with mature topics such as abortion and incest. Mr. Rose is stabbed and dies from blood loss. I also found that although the african americans in this movie are treated equally, one is also depicted as the bad guy. Homer is a good guy, and so are Candy and Dr. Larch. A character dies of an overdose, but it wasn't intentinal at all. Overall, I think it was a good movie, and I sorta thought it was a little like Forrest Gump, so if you watched Forrest Gump you should defanitly see the cider house rules. I dont know why i waited!
Parent of a 17 year old Written byrooster2628 August 22, 2010

Not good for anyone...shocking.

There should never be nudity in film, especially in a PG-13 film. A man's penis was clearly shown and people need to know this before watching...don't watch it.
Educator and Parent of a 4 and 9 year old Written byconnielove93 July 1, 2010

A wonderful message and story

This oscar winning story tells the tale of a boy who grew up in an orphanage and is looking for a life with more adventure. He descovers that life is hard and comes to realize that he was ment to be a doctor and live a safe life in the orphanage like his surrogate father. A beautifully told story and main theme.
Adult Written bySallyP November 2, 2015

Beautiful film

John Irving is an incredible writer. His stories tug at the heart and his characters are unforgettable. I think it's hard to capture Irving's genius on film, and this is a beautiful adaptation. Because of the film's mature themes involving abortion and incest, it's best for older teen audiences, but there is a lot to prompt meaningful family discussion (if you're into that kind of thing!). The performances of Michael Caine and Tobey Maguire, in particular, are wonderful. Have the Kleenex handy...