All member reviews for The Conjuring

Terrifying paranormal horror movie based on a true story.

Parent of a 12 year old Written by1elysium1 July 19, 2013

GOOD CLASSIC HORROR IS BACK

This is a great classic horror movie... think back from when you were young watching The Ammytiville Horror movie. I really dont recall the once cuss word (the S word), but I guess there was one... but other than that no cuss words. The other words like d a m n, etc. are used, but thats more subjective if it bothers you. No nudity or sex (only two quick innuendos that you need to be old enough to understand), which is GREAT since hollywood thinks that it isnt a horror movie without orgies and drugs. So even though it's rated R, it's really more for the terror than anything else... it should really be PG13... they got the ratings backwards... MOST of what passes off as PG13 now is filled with sex, drugs, curses, needless violence... MOST of todays PG13 SHOULD be more like PG16 or rated R. I took my wife and 12 y/o...BUT ONLY because I knew that my daughter was finally mature enough for this level of terror... I DEFINATELY WOULD NOT HAVE TAKEN HER WHEN SHE WAS 11... she would have been too terrified last year... so you really need to know very well what level of terror your children can handle. TO COMMOM SENSE MEDIA: YOU KNOW ITS REALLY STUPID THAT I HAD TO EDIT MY POST CAUSE YOUR PROGRAM WAS BLOCKING IT DUE TO MY "LANGUAGE"... I WROTE EXACTLY WHAT YOU WROTE AS YOUR OFFICIAL REVIEW ABOUT THE S-WORD WITH THE S FOLLOWED BY DASHES AND I HAD TO SEPARATE THE WORD d a m n!!! SO WHY IS IT OK FOR YOUR OFFICIAL REVIEW TO HAVE THOSE WORDS IN IT AND MORE AND MY REVIEW CANT HAVE THE SAME LANGUAGE???? MAN, TALK ABOUT TOTAL HYPOCRACY... DO AS YOU SAY AND NOT AS YOU DO???? SMART, REAL SMART! CHECK YOURSELVES FIRST THEN... BEFORE YOU BLOCK OUR LANGUAGE! LIKE I POINTED OUT, I USED LESS OF THE SAME LANGUAGE THAT YOUR OFFICIAL REVIEWER USED.
Teen, 13 years old Written byjazine July 22, 2013

awsome movie

this movie is very very scary. definitely not for kids under 12
Parent of a 11 year old Written byJonathon Stockhausen July 19, 2013

Finally, some horror that doesn't rely on gory violence, sex and language

Finally we have got a horror movie that is rated r only for its terror. The conjuring doesn't rely on swearing, gore and nudity for it to be truly frightening. They say sh_t once, but other than that, no other bad words are used. The is no sex, other than extremely mild innuendo. The movie is just classic horror brought to a modern level. Tweens should not watch this movie unless you believe that they are mature. The conjuring is the highlight of the summer movie series and is a must watch because its horror will scare the living daylights out of you. Any teenager can watch this as long as they watch it with a parent/guardian/ older sibling. Your child will probably ask if he/she can watch this movie. Decide on their age. I believe that only teens and mature Tweens can handle the conjuring. all in all, this movie is a great movie and is a great conversation starter for many movie fanatics.
Parent of an infant, infant, infant, 10, 10, and 18 year old Written byParentofwisdom August 25, 2013

Learn A Lesson, No Horrors For Kids

My two 10 year old's thought this movie was about trees growing, same as me but boy we were wrong and didnt know why it was rated R, until the movie started, my two 10 year olds little friends told them it was about trees, so we didnt look at any reviews or trailers, and we were the only parents with children. and when the movie started our kids freaked out and we only saw 30 mins of the movie before we left. thats a lesson to be learned. always check trailers and reviews. we went to our 2 childrens friend house and we go the friend grounded for a year. thats pay back for thinking we are in a tree movie that's for sure
Teen, 13 years old Written byCupcake12347896 August 10, 2013

Appropriate for kids to :)

It is safe for kids 8 plus though it is scary it is great for the kids My 8 year old and 12 year old loved it you should watch it :)
Parent of a 12 and 14 year old Written byarhudson0405 July 22, 2013

Know What Your Child Can Handle Beforehand!

I took my 12 year old to see it after reading a bunch of reviews and asking a friends opinion. It was more of a jump scare kind of thing. But my 12 year old is very cynical and tends to laugh off the scares, using logic to explain most of the things on the screen away. This movie would depend on your child's maturity level. It's not a movie I would take my 14 year old to see since he basically has the mental age of an 8 year old. This is a definite no go for him. But for a mature 12 year old or 14 year old who isn't sensitive to such things it's a good scare. But I'm normally an easy going mom that isn't bothered by language and gore. It's sexual things that I'll edit out.
Kid, 10 years old August 8, 2013

AMAZING!!!!!!!

The conjuring was the BEST movie i'd ever seen
Kid, 10 years old August 3, 2013

ONE OF THE BEST HORROR FILMS EVER MADE

Genius. Just genius, probably the best horror film ever made besides, The Exorcist. Sensationally entertaining, superbly acted, and most important of all. Very scary.
Teen, 15 years old Written bylollipop14 August 16, 2013

Brilliant Plot but Terrifying

The Conjuring is a rather different horror movie, it uses no sex, drugs or language to make it scary, but the old fashioned jump scares. The movie is rated 15A for a reason. As a 15 year old and someone who has not seen a lot of horror movies, I found this movie to be terrifying. It managed to get quite a lot of screams from the cinema and even had people leaving the cinema throughout the movie. I would not recommend people who do not like horror movies to go see this or kids under the age of 15, it's 15's for a reason. Over all, the movie had a brilliant cast, plot and director and that fact that its based on a true story made it all the scarier.
Teen, 14 years old Written byHaitham Bayazeed August 6, 2013

HBayazeed Review: The Conjuring

This movie has a PG-13 content, it does not have language, sex, drugs or violence and gore, it is rated R for terror. The acting is amazing and the plot is horrifying. This movie, is for me, the scariest movie ever made.
Parent of a 18 year old Written byTsion August 4, 2013

Creepy and Powerful Horror Movie

The Conjuring is one of the best offerings the horror genre has given audiences in a while. Director James Wan seemingly takes everything he's learned from his previous horror-movie efforts (Saw, Insidious, Dead Silence) and puts it to astonishingly good use here, creating a stunning if not perfect scary movie that is as emotional and powerful as it is frightening. Even if it doesn't send you home with nightmares (the "scariest movie ever made" hype is a tad overrated, I'm afraid) its meditations on faith, spirituality, and family with doubtless stay with you after the credits roll. The story revolves around (what else) a haunted house and haunted family that are investigated by real Catholic mediums Ed and Lorraine Warren (the movie is based on a true story and Lorraine Warren was a consultant on set). It seems a demon is terrorizing the Perron family, and the Warrens are their last hope at saving their family from terrible harm. The movie is rated R allegedly for being "too scary." While it's true that the movie has no inappropriate material to warrant the R rating (language and sexual content is negligible, and violence consists of solely disturbing images but no on-screen deaths or overtly violent imagery), I'm not sure the scares alone are enough to warrant the R-rating. The movie is frightening, don't get me wrong, but it feels much more along the lines of a strong PG-13 than R. Scary images include your standard poltergeists clapping invisibly and whispering in humans' ears. People are thrown around a room by a demonic presence. Threatening ghosts include a creepy little girl and boy, a mother who has (while possessed) killed her child and is shown holding a bloody knife, and a maid with cuts on her arms. A parent threatens his/her child while under the influence of a demonic spectre. Positive elements in the movie include the protagonists' unwavering commitment to their families, their faith in helping other people, and the Warren's devotion to each other and their daughter.
Kid, 12 years old August 3, 2013

The Conjuring

It's a really great movie, but too scary and violent for some kids, you should know your child before letting them watch this movie,especially because it is based off a true story, but the Warrens are good role models models and really work hard I give this movie 5 out of 5 stars :D
Teen, 14 years old Written bymt42 April 12, 2015

Good horror film.

I watched this film last year with my 15 year old sister and her friend. I remember enjoying the film, because it was pretty scary and fun to watch. I think it was quite a good film in general, but I wasn't as scared as I would've been alone because I was busy laughing at my sister and her friend screaming and trying to make them jump (successfully). It was pretty much my first real horror movie and I think compared to most horror or other movies it was very tame in terms of swearing, sex and violence but still scary.
Teen, 13 years old Written byrebo344 March 26, 2015

Another fantastic horror flick.

Well-put, well-acted, slow and fast paced and well directed, The Conjuring is one of my favorite horror movies. Again, it doesn't require jump scares, what really made this film scary is the actual story based on true events and the tension.
Teen, 13 years old Written bySarahøBarbie March 13, 2015

BOSS movie but a lot of scary stuff! >_<

Conjuring to me, was thr BEST HORROR SHOW!! My real age is actually 12 and I watched it, it was VERY scary .... there wasnt any blood what so ever except for the part where the poor puppy got killed outside :"( I must admit it scared me for a week or less I couldnt stay in a closed room for very long... but I got over it. The scary stuff are TRULY TERRIFYING but is one of those horror movies where there wasnt any , swearing, sexual activity or much drinking to make it amazing. I would say since I am 12 years that children 12+ can watch it because my friends as well are my age and watched it also and had my same thoughts. The reason why I won't recommend for kids younger is because this movie is mainly about a dolly if I remember clearly, and young kids will wanna throw away their dolls or be afraid of them if they saw it or found out that this show is a true story and happened in real life. I would rate this movie 5 stars because I loved it! Parents my age rating is 12+ and my star rating is 5 stars. Hope this helped ! ~ Sarah :") ♥
Teen, 13 years old Written byJenniferamkarlsson March 1, 2015

This is currently my favorite movie. The sense of terror you get is amazing, finally a horror movie without sex or gore! The most bloody part is when a woman/demon is vomiting blood (in the description on common sense media they say you only see a stain on a sheet, however later she's once again vomiting blood on the floor, it's not scary though.). There are lots of scary (but not bloody) parts though, jumpscreames, the constant feeling of helplessness is horrible, and it's also something that the whole movie relies on, not being able to open a door, being stuck In a haunted house, seeing things no one else sees and so much more. If you're sensetive towards jumpscreams I sadly can't recommend this movie to you. Even though that I must say that the characters are amazing, they support each other, family or stranger they help eachother even though they're risking their lives (though I must say that some characters made some poor decisions helping strangers when they knew their child was in danger)z
Teen, 17 years old Written byChloeMB January 26, 2015

Terrifying... and not in the good way!

This movie was way too scary for me, watching as a 17 year old... I watched it a few months ago and there are still nights where I am laying in bed in terror because I can't stop thinking about this movie... You see multiple flashbacks of people killing their children and one of the main characters tries to kill her two young daughters... While I do not remember language or sex being an issue, the violence and messages in this movie are not appropriate for children and I wish I had not watched it...
Kid, 2 years old January 3, 2015

Awesome!!!

I loved it, an awesome movie to get your heart pumping
Teen, 13 years old Written byLiamB011 December 31, 2014

Funny, scary and creepy

This film is rated 15, but I think it's ok for 13 year olds. As long as they like or are fine with horror movies. The film itself is great with lots of jumps cares and mildly funny moments. Some scenes are quite gory, for example; (spoilers) a possessed women had a sheet over her head, and ends up screaming and coughing blood. Otherwise the film is suitable for age 13+
Teen, 13 years old Written byHolaGurrl October 18, 2013

Quite scary/creepy and a little bit gory.

This movie is quite scary and also a bit gory. It's definitely not appropriate for kids under 13 or 12. It really depends on how well the child can cope with horror stuff, like whether he/she gets scared easily. The movie is really creepy, and I suggest the parents to watch the trailer of the movie with their kids first, and then decide whether to watch it or not.