All member reviews for The Conspirator

Historical drama tells compelling tale; some violence.

Adult Written byStonesNYC@aol.com April 15, 2011

This movie is so good for telling us (and kids from middle school through college) about an unknown, important story within one of the most important events in American history.
Teen, 15 years old Written byTheSuperman765 April 16, 2011

a really good way to introduce abe lincolns death

The good stuff * Messages: The movie's ultimate message is that honor, justice, and the American Constitution should always trump political expediency. Also, no matter how challenging a task might seem, you must rise up to it and have the courage of your own convictions. * Role models: Frederick is a principled man. No matter the repercussions of representing an accused criminal, he defends her anyway -- and eventually becomes passionate about securing justice for her. Other characters aren't always what they first seem; those who theoretically should be acting for the greater good don't always do so, while those who might seem to be less upstanding have surprising strength and purpose. What to watch out for * Violence: Lincoln's assassination is shown in a harrowing sequence that unfolds in surprising detail. Blood is shown, but the actual wounds aren't. A connected attack is quite vicious -- a man stabs another who's lying helpless in bed, knifing him several times. A hanging takes place in front of a crowd; it, too, plays out with agonizing specificity. Soldiers carry and use guns. A young woman is threatened; rocks are thrown through her window. * Sex: A couple kisses; some flirting. * Language: Infrequent use of words like “damned” and “hell." * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Some social drinking. A few characters use alcohol as "liquid courage" and take shots to fortify themselves before difficult tasks. Very strong. * Consumerism: Not an issue. * Drinking, drugs, & smoking: Cigarettes and alcohol.
Parent of a 12 year old Written bycolten97 May 12, 2011

An eye-opening film, with an exemplary ensemble cast

Robert Redford has assembled an impressively strong cast to bring to the screen a very important and poignant story. Watching this film a couple of weeks ago, I did not know what to expect. What I got was a great film about the trials of the people that were involved behind the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Robin Wright delivers one of the best performances of her career, in a role that seemed tailor-made for her. Redford follows up a politically charged film with a historically charged film, that definitely is not light on the politics. However, he does succeed at presenting the unknown story of a loving mother and clearly stating the events that followed Lincoln's assassination. The film transported me back in time. Beautifully shot, supported by amazing art direction and costumes, and driven by James McAvoy strong performance, "The Conspirator" stands as a movie for the times, that will definitely be revisited for years to come.
Teen, 15 years old Written byCinnamoe August 27, 2011

A valuable film.

This is a very interesting and valuable movie. It gives you much to think about after watching it (in a good way). My family and I really enjoyed it! The acting was superb, as well as the script. There really isn't much bad content; just some slight violence (nothing a tween can't handle though). I definitely recommend it!
Kid, 12 years old August 28, 2011

Good movie but not for kids 11 and under!!!!!!!!

It was really good but the hanging scene is not apropite oh and the scene when a guy comes in a room running jumps on a bed and kills and old man and a man with a knife stabs repeatedly! So watch out 11 year olds!!!!!
Teen, 14 years old Written byGwyneth Alice December 12, 2011

A bit dull at parts, but still enjoyable

I found myself getting bored through parts of the movie. The most interesting parts for me were the court sessions and probably the last thirty or forty-five minutes. A depiction of Abraham Lincoln's death and stabbing of a man (a secretary of something or other), as well as the hanging of four individuals (whose heads are covered for the hanging, so you don't see their being strangled and choked to death), may be disturbing for younger individuals, but other than that, it's a fairly clean movie. Some cursing and drinking lined in there, but not really anything else. I think it gives shows that things we trust (the judges of a court, government officials, etc.) can be dishonest, and biased (referring to the court case), and that you should stand until the end for something you believe in. Well-cast and, though dull at times, I still managed to enjoy it.
Teen, 13 years old Written byFILMCRITIC500 March 25, 2012

snore

this film was so boring, i fell asleep into the first minute. it has no action, a pointless story, and overall pathetic