All member reviews for The Count of Monte Cristo

Enjoyable swashbuckler for kids who can handle the action.

Teen, 13 years old Written byILuvCats November 4, 2011

Awesome movie!

This is one of my very favorite movies! Its very unique. Some people might get mad and not like the movie because its not very true to the book. I've read the book so i know. But its still an awesome movie! Great actors, wonderful scenery, and awesome script! Sex- very mild. Its easy to skip. No nudity is shown. Language- 2 b@st@rds, 1 d@mn, 1 w-word, a few Oh my Gods Violence- The movie opens with a battle where people are shot and stabbed (no blood or wounds seen), A man's body is shown soon after death,A man is numerously wounded several times with a sword (some blood), A man in prison is whipped. He then tries to hang himself, A man dies after he is crushed in a cave-in. We see his body soon after death, A man kills another man by drowning him, A knife fight starts, but no one is hurt, A man hangs another man with a nautical rope, but suggests other to "cut him down before he can't speak.", A man duels with another man whom he stabs through the heart (some blood). A man is shown shooting on old man; when the man falls against a wall, a blood streak is shown. A teenage boy is threatened by bandits with having his finger cut off. A man tries to commit suicide by shooting himself in the mouth, but finds the gun is not loaded. A man shoots a woman in the shoulder (some blood). Two men first duel, then fistfight. One hits the other in the head with a stone. One stabs the other through the chest. The blade is shown sticking out the other side as he dies (some blood).
Adult Written bysilverhearteddragon June 17, 2010

Amazing movie, but be sure to explain the whole revenge thing to your kids. In this film it's portrayed as something you should do, and kids could get in trouble following that. Also, it's fairly graphic as far as torture scenes, but an enjoyable movie for adults.
Parent of a 10 year old Written bygeorges113 August 30, 2009

12-13 years old and up.. WATCH IT !!!

One of the best movies i've ever watched i recommend it in order to enjoy the movie and understand it for teens 12-13 years old and up... smaller teens might find it violent and too complicated to understand... there's also mild sexual situations... not recommended for an under 12 to see it... one of the best movies ever... hope they make someday something similar... NOT TO MISS
Parent Written bynormal parent May 7, 2012

kids 8 to 12 should not read or watch Comte Monte Cristo

i think that kids at age of 8 to 12 should not read or watch the movie because there are things that kids can't understand such as romance or revenge.
Kid, 11 years old September 30, 2011

Great movie,but...

This is a great movie but, there are a couple of scenes when Edmond is in chato d'if (don't know how to spell chato) that you can see blood on his back from being beaten.Also Fernand is drunk in several scenes. At one point you can see Edmond and Mercdenes have sextuel intercrouse (you can only see the're heads but it's pretty obvious what they are doing) overall this is a good movie and i saw it in grande 7 english class so it can't be that inappropriate.
Teen, 17 years old Written byTripleR August 13, 2011

My Favorite Movie!!!

The Count of Monte Cristo is a story about a young sailor, Edmund, who's best friend, Fernand, turns against him and betrays him out of jealousy. Fernand has him arrested for treason and sent to Chateau D'If a prison/dungeon on an island with no hope of ever escaping. For years Edmund is tortured and plots his revenge though the only thing he's good at is sailing. Then an old man digs up into his cell and together they dig towards freedom while the old man teaches Edmund how to fight and educates him. Edmund escapes and finds the old man's treasure and becomes the Count of Monte Cristo. From then on he paces his revenge on those who had betrayed him. Now if I remember right there was 2 "bedroom" scenes with Edmund and his girl, Mercedes. They do commit adultry and I just hate that about this movie!!! They also were "together" before they were to be married. Mercedes wears low cut dresses. Can't remember if there's any language. There's plenty of violence so if you have issues with that then be careful. Another thing is that God says He will be our revenge but Edmund takes things into his own hands. Might want to talk to your kids about that. But other than all of that, it's a fantastic movie - funny too - that is worth seeing again and again and again! :D
Adult Written byIzzysammy February 1, 2011

Awesome movie

I love this movie! it is my all time favorite. there are two scenes that are a little iffy but it is worth watching! Love It!
Teen, 14 years old Written byCotty July 3, 2010

Poor to rich

If you love movies were the good guy prevails you will love this movie. It will hold you captivated through the entire thing. It shows a man who loses everything - even his faith in God, who escapes prison, becomes rich, gets is revenge, and gets the girl that had held his heart for the past sixteen years, and in the end- finds God, you will love it! It is a MUST SEE! " God will give me Justice"-the inscription on the wall of his cell.
Adult Written byChariot April 9, 2008

Adult Written bymovie_mad_dad April 9, 2008

Great family adventure

My whole mission as the resident movie dad in our household is to find movies that everyone, from 8 year olds to teens to the grownups, can and will happily watch as a group. As any parents dealing with this age-range issue knows, it's mighty hard ot do this. This film is a great example of a winner in this category. Well written and acted, it's a supremely engaging adventure tale that my teens really liked and my youngest didn't get too scared by. The only caution for younger kids is the harrowing premise of a guy being sent to a horrible prison to die for something he didn't do, it works from start to finish. I highly recommend this as a great family movie selection.
Teen, 13 years old Written bygarfield2710 April 9, 2008

Great Movie but pretty Violent.

This movie was as good as the book but there is a lot of violence, a sexual situation and a refernce to unmarried couples making love. Kids my age (12) and up could see this movie.

Teen, 16 years old Written bydonotgneralize April 9, 2008

This is still my favorite movie.

The way this movie was made is extraordinary. It is exciting, dramatic, and engaging. If there is one movie I cannot live without, it would be this one.