All member reviews for The Court Jester

Terrific family fun.

Kid, 12 years old May 20, 2014

Best Movie Ever

I loved this wit-filled comedy and found it to be incredibly enjoyable. I saw it a couple years ago and have seen it some times since. I only say seven as an age limit for any child younger may not understand it all.
Parent of a 9 year old Written byk125 July 28, 2013

One of Common Sense Media's really MISGUIDED reviews

This is a classic 1950s comedy, and for those who appreciate the subtle and broad humor of that genre, it works. But Common Sense Media's over-the-top glowing review is really misleading, and it's nuts to call it "terrific family fun" for kids as young as 6. Here's why: - The opening scene is a person being shot in the back with a bow and arrow. He falls off a horse and dies. This isn't a cartoon, mind you, and a "death scene" with real people isn't something I'd like my young kids to see. - The plot is really, really complicated for a young kid to follow. For my 6 and 9 year olds, I had to pause and explain what was happening because there's a lot of role switching and plot twists and it's tough to keep track of central plot points such as who's who, who's good or bad, etc. - Although there's no sex or bad language in the film, my kids did ask me what a witch meant when she *repeatedly* commanded a man to "make love to" a female character. That's not a phrase I'd like them to repeat elsewhere. - Is it really "one of the funniest comedies ever," as the review says? Well, my 79 year old mother chuckled a few times during the movie, but my boys didn't laugh at all until the last 5 minutes. This wasn't a horrible movie, but watching it with my kids just wasted our time and caused me to really question CSM's review criteria.
Kid, 9 years old December 30, 2012

GREAT MOVIE!!!!!!

This movie is hilarious and one of the best I've ever seen. It has great quotes and is fine for everybody. The only reason that I wrote 7+ is that younger kids might not understand it.
Parent of a 10 and 12 year old Written byJpalisades August 13, 2011

A Family Classic you won't want to miss.

We have watched this movie four times in the past two years. It's becoming a family tradition You won't be disappointed in this movie, it's still hilarious! Children in the 5 or 6 year old category might need a slight bit of commentary while the movie plays because it's set in days of old and that is new for them. It also moves quickly, the comedy is often based on Kaye's miraculously fast and witty singing. Good fun!
Adult Written bymomsaysgo April 9, 2008

hysterical and classy

This movie is a classic and is both funny and charming. My 17 year old son laughed out loud and my three year old did too. Great for family movie night. Danny Kaye is one of a kind.
Parent of a 7 year old Written byResponsibleParent April 9, 2008